Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

tuyop posted:

Ugh, obligatory "Applecare is small item insurance. Small item insurance is never worth it. Do not get AC+" here.

I have no objective basis for this, but it seems that the Pro is so big that if you dropped it on anything resembling a hard surface, it would explode in a way that a smaller ipad or an iphone would not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Taima posted:

I have no objective basis for this, but it seems that the Pro is so big that if you dropped it on anything resembling a hard surface, it would explode in a way that a smaller ipad or an iphone would not.

If that were true then the insurance for it would be significantly more expensive, or it's being subsidized by folks buying insurance for their iMacs or something.

It doesn't change the actual financially responsible solution which is to save up an emergency fund that can cover the item's repair costs. That way if you don't use it you can just keep the money or roll it over for the next small item some fool is asking you to pay $299 to cover.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
PSA:

Astropad is 50% off, $9.99 down from $19.99. http://appshopper.com/productivity/astropad

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Croc Monster posted:

PSA:

Astropad is 50% off, $9.99 down from $19.99. http://appshopper.com/productivity/astropad

Is this app worth it if you have the Adobe Creative Suite already?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
It complements creative suite. It basically turns the iPad into a Cintiq.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
How is browsing the forums on the iPad Pro? It seems perfect for things like SA, Apple News, and PDFs of magazines. It would be nice not to have to squint (iPad Air) or scroll so much (laptop).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Mr. BT posted:

How is browsing the forums on the iPad Pro? It seems perfect for things like SA, Apple News, and PDFs of magazines. It would be nice not to have to squint (iPad Air) or scroll so much (laptop).

Yeah I mean it's just a huge ipad so it's great for reading news and forums, as long as you can hold it comfortably. The SA ipad app is great on the Pro. I've read of people who find it too heavy to hold up for long periods, but only you can determine if that may be an issue.

However for book reading I would recommend a kindle 300 dpi. iPads suck for reading actual books regardless of size.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mr. BT posted:

Awful app is your friend.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Awful App is legit a well made app

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Awful app is good poo poo, and forums are really nice on an iPad Pro. It's also a good size for pinball.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I can't foresee a reason why you would need to upgrade an iPad more than every four years. Phones 2 years (only because of contracts being resigned otherwise 3 years)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tuyop posted:

Awful app is your friend.

They need to update their poo poo now that the forums can embed tweets and a few other things.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It seems like more and more, I'm having to enter my password into the my iDevices even though it hasn't been 48 hours so my thumbprint should still be valid to unlock. I'm also having to enter my iTunes account password more often than I remember having to in the past.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

flosofl posted:

It seems like more and more, I'm having to enter my password into the my iDevices even though it hasn't been 48 hours so my thumbprint should still be valid to unlock. I'm also having to enter my iTunes account password more often than I remember having to in the past.

Is anyone else having this issue? Any ideas?

Yes. iOS bug; happens on my phone as well. Also been seeing it as "after restart" on my iPads which when I looked into it seemed to be the iPads rebooting due to a memory leak in the OS.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They need to update their poo poo now that the forums can embed tweets and a few other things.

Believe it or not they don't exactly publish how these things work so it's taking a little while.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Laserface posted:

I can't foresee a reason why you would need to upgrade an iPad more than every four years. Phones 2 years (only because of contracts being resigned otherwise 3 years)

I agree, I wouldn't have upgraded my Air 2 for another two years had it not been for the Pro. The Pro is so blazing fast and has enough RAM to make this thing good for a LONG time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I agree, I wouldn't have upgraded my Air 2 for another two years had it not been for the Pro. The Pro is so blazing fast and has enough RAM to make this thing good for a LONG time.

Yeah I wasn't planning on upgrading my Air for a while but this Pro tempted me enough to make the switch.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The other cool thing about the Pro is that Apple clearly has plans for it in IOS 10, and I can't wait to see what they do.

Cuz let's be honest, IOS9 is not made for the Pro at all.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I wasn't planning on upgrading my Air for a while but this Pro tempted me enough to make the switch.

I went from an Air to a Pro. No regrets!

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
It surprises me that so many people here own the pro or are considering it. I mean, I guess it makes sense because this is the iPad thread and it came out without an accompanying "regular" iPad, but it seems like such a niche product. With a lot of room for improvement in ways of software. You hardly hear anyone about the new MacBook in the Mac Hardware thread, which I see as sort of the same thing: a good proof of concept but not worth it until the next generation (or the one after that). In fact, that device looks even more appealing to me: a super lightweight device running a full OS vs a huge tablet (tablets for me being a portable device first) with okay-ish keyboard integration.

What the iPad Pro has got going for it: it's a powerful device for it's class and the Pencil is interesting. But the Pencil won't reach it's full potential until some actual creative software (like Photoshop or Illustrator) is released for the iPad Pro.

I'm not saying I disapprove of anyone's purchase, it just feels like people here are giving it a lot of credit while I feel it's kind of bad as a tablet and bad as a computer.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Edit - awful app somehow posted without interaction.

Anyhow, the only faults I can find with the Pro, beyond niggling things like the older touch-id hardware and lack of force-touch, really stem from the limitations of iOS. The hardware is fantastic; it has a good screen size, is reasonably thin and light, has good battery life, and enough processing power and memory to make things really snappy. Since I've gotten mine I've basically stopped using my MBP for anything except writing code. For me, The iPad Pro is just much more convenient to use for 95% of the things I use a computer for and that last 5% is mostly due to the software.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 20, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Macbook does everything worse would be the difference.

The Pro is, if nothing else, a larger iPad and works exactly like any other iPad does.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

The Macbook does everything worse would be the difference.

The Pro is, if nothing else, a larger iPad and works exactly like any other iPad does.

However it does split screen (50%) in a way that the mini and Air cannot. On my air the 50% split screen was not at all useful, but on the Pro it is completely useful and makes me want to use it that way.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

That's why I bought it. The pencil isn't relevant to me. I just wanted a stupidly big iPad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The pro owns and the pencil super owns and I can now do like 80% of my job on it. It's really god damned great for PDFs.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I had the pro for a few days but it was a bit too heavy and awkward to hold to keep it. I loved the big rear end screen though for browsing, forums, comics and multitasking. If the pro 2 is around a pound I'll most likely switch from my air 2.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Gorgar posted:

That's why I bought it. The pencil isn't relevant to me. I just wanted a stupidly big iPad.

This a thousand fold. I don't get why people can't see this. It's the 90" television of iPads. What's not to understand?

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The pro owns and the pencil super owns and I can now do like 80% of my job on it. It's really god damned great for PDFs.

How good is it for note-taking on a PDF or powerpoint? I'm on the fence about buying one to not have to print out 500 pages every semester and carry around 10lbs of notebooks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Doctor Zero posted:

This a thousand fold. I don't get why people can't see this. It's the 90" television of iPads. What's not to understand?

Yeah I definitely would've gotten a Pro instead of an Air 2 if the price difference wasn't so big.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fenom posted:

How good is it for note-taking on a PDF or powerpoint? I'm on the fence about buying one to not have to print out 500 pages every semester and carry around 10lbs of notebooks.

It's fantastic. I use the Pencil for handwritten notes in meetings that I then upload and tag in Evernote. And it works very well with PDF Expert. It's amazing how accurate and fast the Pencil is.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fenom posted:

There's a couple of really good options for note taking on the pro. The top 2 (for me) are Notability and PDF Expert. Notability's strong point is in it's hand-writing / drawing tools. It works well enough with PDFs but if you want a notebook to scribble and paste poo poo, it's pretty good. If the bulk of what you're going to do is actual PDFs then PDF Expert is the best. It can annotate, sign, even edit the PDF text itself (this doesn't work 100% but it's neat when it does). It can sync with like every service out there and handles/indexes/browses big PDFs with no issue at all. The Pro's 4GB of ram are really noticeable when you're going through big files.

I do plan reviews so I get to be really nitpicky with big (100mb+) constructions plans and the pro doesn't even hiccups. The screen let's me read and see details without needing to zoom in (I still do sometimes when space is tight on a drawing and I need to write something).If you're still on the fence, do what I did. Load up a couple of the documents you'd use / work with on your phone, go to the apple store and airdrop them to the demo unit and play with it there.

Yes, it's a big loving tablet. But it's so god damned fast at everything it's worth it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
One of the big reasons I bought it was for reading magazines and comics (admittedly mostly comics), which I felt the regular iPads have always been bad at.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I got it because it does everything I need a laptop to do. I'm a web developer; I would never actually code on a laptop and have no idea why anyone would. I code on a Dell U3415w which is incredible for productivity.

The Adobe suite on iPad Pro is super nice. Multitasking is sweet. Note taking is great. The size is wonderful, and I love Logitech's Create keyboard. and I personally have no issues holding up the Pro or working with it.

Then, at the end of the day, I pop that baby out of the case and it transforms into the best tablet ever. Seriously it's just such a great tablet. It's SO FAST, everything in iOS happens with no lag. For me it's the perfect 2-in-1 where I get the best tablet at night and a perfectly nice laptop during the day.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Taima posted:

I would never actually code on a laptop and have no idea why anyone would.

This is the strangest comment I've read in a long time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The Dave posted:

This is the strangest comment I've read in a long time.

I'm happy to discuss it if you want, I figured it might rustle some jimmies.

When I code, I'm at my workstation. It's set up for multitasking and having huge areas of real estate dedicated to previews, coding area, misc. tools, browser window, etc all on the same screen. I guess at this point I am unsure why anyone would code on a small viewport like that. (and for the record i'm not talking about someone plugging a laptop into a desktop monitor, of course).

Why anyone would prefer a small area of interaction like that, is beyond me.

Before I got this iPad Pro, a friend let me use his Macbook for 3 weeks to see if I wanted to get one. I never saw the need, and never liked coding on it.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I know exactly what you meant (and we do the same sort of work, too). I got one of those monitors last week and am already changing up my entire method of working. The iPad Pro is my laptop replacement...I haven't carried a laptop with me since I got it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/athet8dalg27igs/2016-01-19%2016.10.34.jpg?dl=0

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I was actually curious if anyone has put a decent amount of time into programming/development on the Pro. Does it work out? Seems like an interesting use and is a lot more possible with the current resolution and the split screen could (maybe) be helpful.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I was actually curious if anyone has put a decent amount of time into programming/development on the Pro. Does it work out? Seems like an interesting use and is a lot more possible with the current resolution and the split screen could (maybe) be helpful.

Sometimes I'll use Coda to tweak stuff, or use Parallels Access to pop into my work computer. But that's typically only for quick fixes. It's not out of the realm of possibility to do so for an extended time though, no.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm not a "developer" per se, but I do make a ton of Python scripts in a Quixotic quest of Automating Everything. I actually use PyCharm on the laptop (usually hooked into a 29" ultra wide). However, I do use the iPad Pro to make a quick change or fix a stupid edge-case bug with vim (or nano when fixing a stupid typo) when I'm using it to run a shh session to one of the servers I use. Textastic is decent enough as an code editor on the iPad, but I just couldn't do without all the bells and whistles of PyCharm.

For SSH I like Prompt 2 by Panic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's beautiful. What a monitor eh? Now you just need an Embody and you're in development nirvana :3: