Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Pivo posted:

Is it in the auto-join list in the server preferences? I haven't used Textual in a while but I never had these problems. I don't remember ever having a problem with it, and I'm a heavy IRC user.

Yeah, I've even checked to make sure that everything's entered in correctly and that I've set up the ports right as well. The channel that I'm having trouble with requires both a server password and a key as well, so I'm guessing I've just messed something up in that regard and have screwed up a setting somewhere or another. The only other thing I've been able to track in the server messages is "Cannot join channel (+k)" so I think I've just managed to overlook a step or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hm, the server password should be settable in the server preferences and the channel key should be settable in the auto-join settings for the channel, but again, I haven't used it in a while so I don't know exactly, I may be confusing how Textual works with Colloquy. I always prefered Textual though...

Worst comes to worst you could just get rid of all that and put the commands you normally take to join the channel in the ... whatever it's called, the list of commands it plays when it connects to a network.

I forget how oyu join a passworded channel, isn't it just /join #channel password

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hello has anyone here tried to set their photos library to some NAS? it seems like Apple has a specific file system but I would like to keep my storage agnostic, anyone have advice? Thanks

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hold Option when starting Photos.app and you should be able to create a new library. Stick a second library on your NAS and try it out without affecting your primary one. I would imagine it would work since .photoslibrary looks like a plain old folder to me from the command line, but I'm not sure to what level the file system is involved.

Still, keeping photos, videos etc on NAS, external drives, is very common even in amateur workflows so I would be surprised if it wasn't filesystem agnostic. But Photos isn't exactly pro-level software.

edit: I can at least say I've done it with Aperture.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 16, 2016

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Pivo posted:

Hm, the server password should be settable in the server preferences and the channel key should be settable in the auto-join settings for the channel, but again, I haven't used it in a while so I don't know exactly, I may be confusing how Textual works with Colloquy. I always prefered Textual though...

Worst comes to worst you could just get rid of all that and put the commands you normally take to join the channel in the ... whatever it's called, the list of commands it plays when it connects to a network.

I forget how oyu join a passworded channel, isn't it just /join #channel password

Yeah, I've tried a couple of different ways to connect to the server (the /join #channel password one) and the (just setup things before hand and try to connect) one so I'm not terribly sure, sad to say. I mean, it's not terribly hard to do the "/join #channel password" thing every time I connect but it's an annoyance.

I think that Textual has an IRC channel as well, so worst case scenario, I can try to check in there or email, like was mentioned earlier.

I am glad that this is probably just a user issue and not a program issue though, that's a bit of a relief.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Textual's just weird sometimes in my experience. On my work computer (MBP running 10.10) it will connect to the synirc server but won't automatically join channels whereas on my home computer (iMac on 10.11) it all connects to everything and auto-joins just fine (and did when that machine was on 10.10, as well). Textual is the same version (from the App Store) on both and I've even tried straight up importing the stuff relevant to Textual from the Library directly onto my work computer from my home computer with no change.

I'm somewhat inclined to put it down to differences in OS environment at this point and it'll be interesting to see if it's still an issue after I eventually get around to installing 10.11 on my work MBP.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Does anyone know how to shut off notifcation center and get rid of the icon in Yosemite?

In Mavericks and Mountain Lion you could use this command in terminal:

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist
killall NotificationCenter

But that doesn't work anymore. Any suggestions?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Does anyone know how to shut off notifcation center and get rid of the icon in Yosemite?

In Mavericks and Mountain Lion you could use this command in terminal:

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist
killall NotificationCenter

But that doesn't work anymore. Any suggestions?

why do you want to do this?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Now I want to remove the spotlight search and notification center icons from the toolbar. I never use the icons and it'd look cleaner without them.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Barkeeper can do that

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Barkeeper can do that

Do you mean Bartender?

And yes, it'll let you completely hide Notification Center but won't disable it.

Though, why you would want to disable it is a mystery to me.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

flosofl posted:

Do you mean Bartender?

I IMAGINE THEY ANSWER TO BOTH, SIR! *hic*

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Before I start digging through a Yosemite install image, does anyone know if the older Disk Utility will run on El Capitan? Because the new one is a flaming ball of bullshit and I'm getting quite sick of it. Today it's refusing to erase/repartition an external USB drive and I'm sick of having to fall back to the command line all the time.

Edit: I extracted it pretty easily using Pacifist. It opens but gives a wrong-OS-version error message and then quits. Anyone know of a way to bypass that check? Googling indicates there's a hacked version floating around out there but I don't want to use some mystery pirate software.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 18, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You're right about the new one. It's so bad.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

Before I start digging through a Yosemite install image, does anyone know if the older Disk Utility will run on El Capitan? Because the new one is a flaming ball of bullshit and I'm getting quite sick of it. Today it's refusing to erase/repartition an external USB drive and I'm sick of having to fall back to the command line all the time.

Edit: I extracted it pretty easily using Pacifist. It opens but gives a wrong-OS-version error message and then quits. Anyone know of a way to bypass that check? Googling indicates there's a hacked version floating around out there but I don't want to use some mystery pirate software.

EDIT: It's not disk utility, but this guy has a launch script for an older version of airport utility to launch http://coreyjmahler.com/2013/10/24/airport-utility-5-6-1-on-os-x-10-9-mavericks/. Seems he hacks/moves a system file around to allow air port utility 5.6.1 to launch, which is probably similar to what's needed for old disk utility to launch.

Ignore the above, looks like you just hex edit your old version of Disk Utility and get it working, https://justus.berlin/2015/10/restore-old-disk-utility-in-os-x-el-capitan/

MarxCarl fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 19, 2016

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
It's dumb that both the Mouse and Trackpad settings panes have their own "Scroll direction" toggle but you can't have them set to two different things. I like natural scrolling when using a trackpad, but regular scrolling when using the scroll wheel on a mouse. Surely this is not uncommon.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

The rear end Stooge posted:

It's dumb that both the Mouse and Trackpad settings panes have their own "Scroll direction" toggle but you can't have them set to two different things. I like natural scrolling when using a trackpad, but regular scrolling when using the scroll wheel on a mouse. Surely this is not uncommon.

Try Scroll Reverser.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Not uncommon at all. It's exactly how I feel and that's why Scroll Reverser is just awesome. First thing I install on a fresh OS wipe.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

10.11.3 combo:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1859?locale=en_US

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Use Karabiner.

General > Don't remap Apple's pointing devices
Pointing Device > Reverse scrolling direction > Reverse Vertical Scrolling

Enable Natural Scrolling setting in the Mouse/TrackPad PrefPane to 'enabled'.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

MarxCarl posted:

Ignore the above, looks like you just hex edit your old version of Disk Utility and get it working, https://justus.berlin/2015/10/restore-old-disk-utility-in-os-x-el-capitan/

Worked perfect, thank you!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Any thoughts on 10.11.3 release? Anyone's machine burst into flames? Any showstoppers?

It's also okay to run updates on FileVault machines without unencrypting, right?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Seems fine to me.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Any thoughts on 10.11.3 release? Anyone's machine burst into flames? Any showstoppers?

It's also okay to run updates on FileVault machines without unencrypting, right?

I haven't upgraded yet, but I've used FileVault for years without unencrypting/re-encrypting for every update.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

:psyduck: huh?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

From what I understand, updating with encryption on is fine for minor releases, like 10.11.2 to 10.11.3, but not fine for going from 10.9.5 to 10.10.5, for example.

I wonder if we'll make it to 10.11.5 what with 10.12 supposedly getting a head start..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

From what I understand, updating with encryption on is fine for minor releases, like 10.11.2 to 10.11.3, but not fine for going from 10.9.5 to 10.10.5, for example.

I don't think that this is true

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Surprised that there's still no OS X fix for CVE-2016-0777/0778

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Binary Badger posted:

I've never heard this, and have upgraded several major versions without touching FileVault

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

The Milkman posted:

I've never heard this, and have upgraded several major versions without touching FileVault

Ditto.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Cobblers. Upgrading major versions with FileVault is fine.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

I wonder if we'll make it to 10.11.5 what with 10.12 supposedly getting a head start..
What? Is 10.12 supposed to come out earlier than normal?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

DigitalRaven posted:

Cobblers. Upgrading major versions with FileVault is fine.

Okay, thanks thread, that seems to sum up the consensus- upgrading OS X with FileVault enabled is safe and fine.

CygnusTM posted:

What? Is 10.12 supposed to come out earlier than normal?

Don't think so, I was just wondering out loud.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So here's a bit of an odd one; I was considering updating my graphics drivers but I'm a little confused.

First off, my MacBook Pro is old as all gently caress, a late 2007 C2D with a 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT which runs games from, say, 2003-ish just fine but try anything else and it's a slideshow. Of course I'm not surprised by this nor do I expect wonders, but even so I'm curious if there's a way to increase performance through software because I've never updated the drivers manually. As far as I understand, Apple isn't good about updating the graphics drivers (I have El Cap but I'm not sure that makes a difference) so it's mostly up to the user, and NVIDIA offers some options here but they don't say anything about the model I'm using.

Searching NVIDIA's site didn't get me anywhere but I did get a link to a driver: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.05f01/WebDriver-346.03.05f01.pkg Is that something I can install on my MBP 3,1 and see a difference/not have it matter or will it kill this thing dead?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Is that something I can install on my MBP 3,1 and see a difference/not have it matter or will it kill this thing dead?
I don't think you want to install any other drivers. As far as I know NVIDIA only provides updated drivers for CUDA stuff, which you will not be doing with that GPU. Stick with what El Capitan gives you since that should be the newest for your machine.

Also congratulations on your machine still working, I guess. I figured all of those 8600M-era machines had fallen to victim to the service bulletin on those logic boards by now.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don't think you want to install any other drivers. As far as I know NVIDIA only provides updated drivers for CUDA stuff, which you will not be doing with that GPU.

Stick with what El Capitan gives you since that should be the newest for your machine.
Thought as much, good to know though. Thanks!

E: Yeah, this thing is quite a trooper. It had the manufacturing error all these models had where the display was dead and required a logic board replacement (got it done for free four years after this thing was built), the left-side fan (above the GPU I think) is stone dead now after it started making a horrid noise a couple of years ago and I killed it trying to fix it. The wiring was all frayed and basically crumpled when touched. The battery is long gone and it's plugged in 24/7, yet it runs El Capitan like a dream (more or less) is totally silent unless I'm doing something graphically intensive like playing WoW (hence my original question) during which the remaining fan spins like crazy but keeps things under control somehow. Performance is far from great but it's still kind of playable. Not bad for a 9 year-old half-broken piece of kit, I'd say!

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 21, 2016

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Note that the OpenGL stack is just not as efficient on OS X as DirectX on Windows, it's not abnormal for games to run a bit faster under Windows on the same hardware.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Blizzard support claims you should update your drivers from NVIDIA, but they might be for more recent stuff.

Here.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

carry on then posted:

Note that the OpenGL stack is just not as efficient on OS X as DirectX on Windows, it's not abnormal for games to run a bit faster under Windows on the same hardware.
It's also just a 9 year-old mobile GPU at this point. I wouldn't really expect much success with any modern games anyway, regardless of the host OS or driver.

wdarkk posted:

Blizzard support claims you should update your drivers from NVIDIA, but they might be for more recent stuff.

Here.
The product has been EOL as far as NVIDIA is concerned for almost 2 years now. Those new drivers won't change a thing.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's also just a 9 year-old mobile GPU at this point. I wouldn't really expect much success with any modern games anyway, regardless of the host OS or driver.

Not modern, no. But I speak from experience that sometimes the difference can be just enough to make it worthwhile, like it was for me with TF2 on a 2010 Pro.