Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
this goon shaming in magic has gone too far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

U/R Control with Chandra and Sphinx of the Final Word at the helm of wincons are my wet dreams.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lancelot posted:

Crackling Doom still seems really good, and you get access to Kozilek's Return and more black removal if you want it. It feels like Dark Jeskai is still a better place to be than straight Mardu since I don't think a 3 colour deck is going to be any better at generating colourless mana for the C-costing cards.

In a world of Reality Smashers, you need to be packing Crackling.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

We really do not have any straight-up Murder variants in Standard at all do we.

Also kill everyone who makes this game, tia.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ruinous Path is a Murder variant. Stasis Snare is also fairly similar in white.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Goblin Dark-Dwellers to get back Crackling Doom seems like it could be good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

Or Kolhagan's Command. For all the value.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Shortest Path posted:

Murderous Cut?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just got linked to this infographic and it's the first time I've notice that Windswept Heath is the least valuable fetch, when I was sure it was going to be Bloodstained Mire. Since it's in Abzan, I find this pretty surprising, can anyone explain?

G/W lands are usually the second least pricey color combo after the cheapest, B/R. With jeskai black the deck really needed B/X fetches and we got $$$ mires instead of deltas because reasons? I'm not smart enough to know why one over the other, just smart enough to sell B/R fetches when they cost more than the most popular ones traditionally speaking.
I'm riveted to fetch behavior because they are so unique and important as reprints. I have no idea what they are going to do post rotation but it's going to be a wild ride either way.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Entropic posted:

Dark-Dwellers in some sort of URx midrange shell with Jace seems like it could get obnoxious, fast.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
"That's right," Chandra said. "I'm a glorious beacon of mana and light, you bastards."

:sigh:

Basically, Chandra's like "where's Gideon!?" and then Tazri tells her, "in some cave," so she leads the swarm away from Tazri's forces and heads for the very convenient cave where Ob Nixilis has very conveniently decided to torture Jace, Gideon and Nissa rather than just kill them because "I AM EVUL!" Chandra loses anyways, but then Jace, who courageously stays awake during this encounter, tells her to kill the Eldrazi Spawn that are actually imprisoning them. She does, and then they all escape and with their powers combined, summon Captain Planet, defeat Ob Nixilis who make a super-villain threat to chase them down as he leaves.

Apparently Eugene, who is in fact on Zendikar and just hanging around, didn't want to help because reasons.

Stasis Snare is similar, but played very little simply because the most popular deck runs between 2-4 Dromoka's Command. If Oath of Nissa is as popular as I'm imagining, I wouldn't be surprised if it saw a little more play.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 20, 2016

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Probably cos Ugin rightly believes them all to be idiots. Also glad Ob Nixilis didn't get killed off he's a good bad guy in a sort of unintended Saturday morning cartoon villain sort of way.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

mcmagic posted:

In a world of Reality Smashers, you need to be packing Crackling.

Stasis snare seems like it would also work well against reality smasher. Get to pick the target, but don't trigger the discard.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Already have my UR Aggro/control shell ready to go with this. Basically herald,munch of of the new blue eldrazi to ramp up and tap down dudes along with the man lands and curving to bane of bala ged. Back up with a counter suite and treasure cruise to reload, I'm think of add ithe hasty prowess flyer but not sure.

Please post it when you'vever completed it!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Wurzag posted:

Probably cos Ugin rightly believes them all to be idiots. Also glad Ob Nixilis didn't get killed off he's a good bad guy in a sort of unintended Saturday morning cartoon villain sort of way.

Ugin can, just barely, bring himself to bother with ancient experts of magic like Sorin/Nahiri

the gently caress does he care about a bunch of scrubs who just happen to have sparks

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Please post it when you'vever completed it!

This is what I'm working with right now. No idea if its any good. I can bane by turn 5 or turn 6 with counter backup. I have everything but the Oath stuff. It needs much more play testing before I drop the 150 on the remaining cards.
Land (24)
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Corrupted Crossroads
3x Island
3x Mountain
4x Polluted Delta
3x Smoldering Marsh
3x Sunken Hollow
Creature (18)
4x Bane of Bala Ged
4x Herald of Kozilek
4x Reality Smasher
4x Thought-Knot Seer
2x Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
Instant (14)
4x Kozilek's Return
3x Negate
4x Reality Hemorrhage
3x Spell Snare
Sorcery (4)
4x Treasure Cruise

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Question for thread:

A while back, there was a link to a site that visualized the prices of all cards in each set by scaling the card images bigger for higher-value cards (like Alliances was basically a huge picture of Force of Will and everything else tiny).

Anyone have that bookmarked to reshare it?

TIA

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

St0rmD posted:

Question for thread:

A while back, there was a link to a site that visualized the prices of all cards in each set by scaling the card images bigger for higher-value cards (like Alliances was basically a huge picture of Force of Will and everything else tiny).

TIA

Phone posting, but iirc it's dawnglare.org

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

St0rmD posted:

Question for thread:

TIA

http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The scaling on that is way off. Force of Will is 99 and Helm is 10 but it's only like twice the size.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

The scaling on that is way off. Force of Will is 99 and Helm is 10 but it's only like twice the size.

Turn on progressive scaling in options, it'll get closer to your ideal

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I wonder if "Vanguard" is supposed to be the Gatewatch or something else.

Pretty much confirms EVIL AVACYN though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Wurzag posted:

Also glad Ob Nixilis didn't get killed off he's a good bad guy in a sort of unintended Saturday morning cartoon villain sort of way.

I read the story that's 100% intentional

also chandra is really boring

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

What awards has MTG art won?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Elyv posted:

I read the story that's 100% intentional

also chandra is really boring

All the Power Rangers are really boring.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I wonder what BFZ would look like if expeditions were included

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

JerryLee posted:

I wonder what BFZ would look like if expeditions were included

There is an option to include Zendikar Expeditions in the set selector, use the options to sort by release date.

edit: Here's what Standard looks like with Expeditions http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz&s=BFZ%7CDTK%7CFRF%7CKTK%7CORI%7COGW%7CEXP

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

All the Power Rangers are really boring.

This is true.

I nevertheless await for the day Jace starts break dancing to dubstep.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is what I'm working with right now. No idea if its any good. I can bane by turn 5 or turn 6 with counter backup. I have everything but the Oath stuff. It needs much more play testing before I drop the 150 on the remaining cards.
Land (24)
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Corrupted Crossroads
3x Island
3x Mountain
4x Polluted Delta
3x Smoldering Marsh
3x Sunken Hollow
Creature (18)
4x Bane of Bala Ged
4x Herald of Kozilek
4x Reality Smasher
4x Thought-Knot Seer
2x Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
Instant (14)
4x Kozilek's Return
3x Negate
4x Reality Hemorrhage
3x Spell Snare
Sorcery (4)
4x Treasure Cruise

You don't have nearly enough ways to get stuff into your yard to play 4x treasure cruise. You also don't really have any relevant 1, 2 or 3 drops. I like the aggressive standard colorless lists I'm seeing much more since they can play Matter Reshaper which is the reason to play this deck to begin with and the 2 drop 2/1 flyer makes them Sac.

Also is this deck modern? Spell snare isn't standard legal.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 20, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why is there such a massive price difference in the expedition filter lands? It's not like any of them get played in anything outside of EDH for there to be stratified demand.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

You don't have nearly enough ways to get stuff into your yard to play 4x treasure cruise. You also don't really have any relevant 1, 2 or 3 drops. I like the aggressive standard colorless lists I'm seeing much more since they can play Matter Reshaper which is the reason to play this deck to begin with

22 fetches and instants isn't enough? You and I have a different idea of enough.

Regardless Cruise is there for mid game rearming, if it costs 3-4 mana it's still worth it.

Also the most relevant card in the deck is a 3 drop so (also there are 8 2 mana spells and 12 3 mana spells).... I don't know where you are going, but like I said it's just a brew arm someone was interested.

Edit 2: also it's spell shrivel not snare. Typed it wrong there.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 20, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

22 fetches and instants isn't enough? You and I have a different idea of enough.

Regardless Cruise is there for mid game rearming, if it costs 3-4 mana it's still worth it.

No it's definitely not enough. Even decks that play 12+ fetches along with 4 Jace's don't play 4x Cruise.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Why is there such a massive price difference in the expedition filter lands? It's not like any of them get played in anything outside of EDH for there to be stratified demand.

Twilight Mire sees play as a 1x in modern jund, flooded strand see's play as a 1x in modern scapeshift, and cascade bluffs has seen play in modern but not lately. Decks that want cryptic like being able to turn some other color into blue, and jund desperately wants to be able to make GBBR by t3 reliably.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Twilight Mire sees play as a 1x in modern jund, flooded strand see's play as a 1x in modern scapeshift, and cascade bluffs has seen play in modern but not lately. Decks that want cryptic like being able to turn some other color into blue, and jund desperately wants to be able to make GBBR by t3 reliably.

Filters got a lot better with colorless being a thing now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

No it's definitely not enough. Even decks that play 12+ fetches along with 4 Jace's don't play 4x Cruise.

Cool story bro. Go play with your own deck.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It looks like people still play the one-off GB and UW ones in modern. And formerly the UR one. Idk why, since I only ever used a substitute myself after trading them when they shot up to $30 each.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm dumb but I don't see how this confirms evil avacyn(although it does confirm zero copyediting)

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

I play 2x of the b/w one in my tokens deck BC Craig wescoe says so. I think they see real play sporadically, some more than others.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Elyv posted:

I'm dumb but I don't see how this confirms evil avacyn(although it does confirm zero copyediting)

"Betrayed by the hope it held most dear"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Angry Grimace posted:

Terror reprint confirmed

• Locked thread