Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

jivjov posted:

And even taking that into consideration, the book is still being written. It has not been cancelled. Even if you're deluded into thinking that Rothfuss is under some insurmoutable obligation to produce Doors of Stone...congratulations, he is doing exactly that.

Ostensibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yeah, if you've preordered something, sure. Show me your receipt for Doors of Stone and I'll be happy to admit that you're owed a copy of that book at some point in the future.

And even taking that into consideration, the book is still being written. It has not been cancelled. Even if you're deluded into thinking that Rothfuss is under some insurmoutable obligation to produce Doors of Stone...congratulations, he is doing exactly that.

Why would it be an insurmountable obligation? Oh yeah, because you are an idiot who can barely form coherent sentences. Please go back to your handlers so they can change your diaper. There is no evidence that Rothfuss is producing anything other than video game poo poo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

Why would it be an insurmountable obligation? Oh yeah, because you are an idiot who can barely form coherent sentences. Please go back to your handlers so they can change your diaper. There is no evidence that Rothfuss is producing anything other than video game poo poo.

He had clearly stated that Doors of Stone is still being written. Most recently with the "Donate to charity and determine if I stream Fallout 4 or do extra writing" thing. He clarified that he was still working on Doors of Stone and the donation drive writing time would be extra, supplemental writing time.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Do you understand the concept of self serving lies?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The Slithery D posted:

Do you understand the concept of self serving lies?

Yes, but I have no reason to believe that Rothfuss is lying about working on the book. If he truly wasn't working on it at all, wouldn't his publisher have announced a cancellation or something?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Jivjov has written more in this thread in the last 24 hours than Rothfuss has likely written for Doors of Stone.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
This slap fight is getting us nowhere. Nobody is getting their minds changed in this thread regarding Rothfuss' work ethic or the idea of "owing fans". Can we just go back to talking about how bad the Felurian sections of WMF were?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SpacePig posted:

This slap fight is getting us nowhere. Nobody is getting their minds changed in this thread regarding Rothfuss' work ethic or the idea of "owing fans". Can we just go back to talking about how bad the Felurian sections of WMF were?

I dunno...seeing the fae realm was pretty cool.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

Yes, but I have no reason to believe that Rothfuss is lying about working on the book. If he truly wasn't working on it at all, wouldn't his publisher have announced a cancellation or something?

Some follow up questions.

1.a. Was Nixon a crook?
1.b. Did Hitler orginally intend to honor his peace treaty with Stalin?
1.c. Did Bill Clinton have sexual relations with that woman?
1.d. Was OJ really looking for the real killer?

2. If they weren't sincere, would the press/their subordinates/their close confidants have noticed and said something?

3.a. Were there any people who were skeptical about these claims?
3.b. Were they demonstrating a superior understanding of reality, or where they in your opinion deluded fools who just happened to get it right?

4. Do you really think Rothfuss is making a sincere effort to write another book?

jivjov posted:

I dunno...seeing the fae realm was pretty cool.

:vince:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

jivjov posted:

Oh my sweet summer child. A cancellation won't be announced until the money dries up definitely. If there really are adaptations of the Kvothe books in the works then that means the publisher will get some kind of cut which means they have plenty of money coming in on that property for now. When it looks like the adaptations don't pan out then they'll set the screws to Rothfuss.

I think it's also worth noting that book publishing doesn't have the urgency to it that it once did. If this was when Harry Potter was big then Rothfuss would have an entire publishing company kicking his door in to get the books written but with the literate population not reading as much as we used to then there's just no real urgency anymore.

Rothfuss is a hack though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

jivjov posted:

why would it be in their interest to do so? if the publisher knows that his book won't be ready anytime in the foreseeable future, then they simply aren't going to spend any money or time on marketing or promotion for it, and are likely not even thinking about Rothfuss at all other than enjoying the continued small stream of income they can get from the first couple books through licensing etc.

there'd be no reason for them to announce a "cancellation" or do anything different than the current situation, as far as they are concerned the book can be off in some vague hypothetical future. Especially considering that Rothfuss's attitude has alienated him to a degree from many of his fans and he is no longer as popular as he once was. This means that sales of the eventual third book are likely to be lower than the first two; the average series already has to deal with drop off, this will exaggerate the problem, with the result generally being that his publisher will be even less motivated to get the promotional wheels churning for the next thing and more likely to be content to more or less forget about him while they can.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 20, 2016

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

CerealCrunch posted:

JivJov puts me in mind of a fellow called Bozeman Pete. Bozeman Pete was a homeless man who lived on the streets of Bozeman, Montana. He was well known in the area, partially because there were very few homeless folks in the city, but also because he had a peculiar gimmick of dressing like a leprechaun.

In a way, Bozeman Pete was beloved by many of the townsfolk. He was generally polite, and people saw him as a curiosity. But people turned on him quickly when he developed a routine of jerking off into his own hat in front of the drugstore downtown.

Not gonna lie, this fantastic example of writing was ten times better than the Auri book.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Rothfuss's inability to write shows that he is a poor author.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Odette posted:

Not gonna lie, this fantastic example of writing was ten times better than the Auri book.

I'm pretty sure the only crazy person Patrick has ever interfaced with in real life is himself. So really just anecdotal study went into creating that character.

Jivjov Corollary
Jivjov, before you read into this, I am being facetious. This statement is both a criticism on what many found to be a poorly written book, and an inditement of the character trait choices made by the author. The use of hyperbole is not an attack on the author himself, but rather a literary tool used to create comedy for those who share my viewpoint.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
jivjov if you'd like to know what an author who actually communicates in a rational way looks like, here's Sanderson's recent update (some spoilers) on Oathbringer, one of several books he's working on:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/41r099/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_2/

He even talks about how things have changes over time as he worked on the series. Granted, Sanderson is a printing press wrapped in human skin but he's also open with his fans and said openness isn't just "oh I'm working on book HEY GUYS CHECK OUT [non-book stuff] AIN"T IT COOL" like Rothfuss does.

I'm not going to expect Rothfuss (or most writers) to keep people up to date like Sanderson does but when you see how other writers who aren't GRRM work, it's pretty easy to understand how Rothfuss comes across looking like a distracted goony gently caress.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sanderson is my personal anthichrist

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Sanderson also keeps a tracker up on his website where he regularly updated as to what percent done various stages of his books are. He currently estimates Stormlight book 3's first draft to be 44% done...

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sanderson is my personal anthichrist

I don't know how he has gathered the acclaim he has. I find his books readable, but uninspired. Except for the newer wax and wayne stuff- I can't even read that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Benson Cunningham posted:

I don't know how he has gathered the acclaim he has. I find his books readable, but uninspired. Except for the newer wax and wayne stuff- I can't even read that.

"Who is like the beast? Who can wage war against it?"

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Who is like the beast? Who can wage war against it?"

Have you read The Emperor's Soul though? That poo poo was pretty rad.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Simply being able to put out books in a timely fashion and with adequate skill is enough to gather a big following, especially since this very thread proves that talent = jackshit without the application of discipline. Publishing regularly makes Sanderson head and shoulders above other writers in his field.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do not ever use this Gaiman post unironically

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

He builds beautifully crafted worlds with interesting stories set in them. I especially like how his cosmere worlds are set in the same universe, though you don't pick up on that at first. His books also heavily reward rereading them, which I simply love.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HIJK posted:

Simply being able to put out books in a timely fashion and with adequate skill is enough to gather a big following

Not really. Being timely helps to a degree, but I really don't see that the skill of an author at actual writing has a particularly strong relationship with their ability to acquire a big following. It depends on the genre of course but generally the image and social signifiers of a book or its characters (or certain events) are more important than how good the actual writing is, when it comes to building a fanbase. Reinforced by marketing. And there's also the question of the author's own "mediagenic"-ness and their willingness to interact regularly with fans and be promotional.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Not really. Being timely helps to a degree, but I really don't see that the skill of an author at actual writing has a particularly strong relationship with their ability to acquire a big following. It depends on the genre of course but generally the image and social signifiers of a book or its characters (or certain events) are more important than how good the actual writing is, when it comes to building a fanbase. Reinforced by marketing. And there's also the question of the author's own "mediagenic"-ness and their willingness to interact regularly with fans and be promotional.

Oh, haha. No, what I meant was "adequate" as in "can string together a coherent sentence." Sanderson isn't very talented at all, but he doesn't try to punch above his weight class. And he's coherent. A lot of fantasy writers just have no idea what they're doing or talking about and they spit out books that make no gd sense at all. Sanderson markets and his plots are reasonably lucid which gets him a fanbase.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Earwicker posted:

Brandon Sanderson is also a huge Magic: The Gathering fan and regularly plays with his fans at conventions and book signings and the like. He does reddit AMAs where he talks about his books and the writing process at least once a year. He often gives slightly spoilerish answers to questions his fans ask him on Theoryland, the reddit AMAs or at book signings, etc. Which of course keeps the fandom engaged, since they can always analyse the newest spoiler tidbits when no book is coming out. Tor.com releases whole chapters of upcoming books in preparation of their release, like the six chapters of Bands of Mourning (the book will come out later this month). That's pretty good fandom management. In contrast to Rothfuss.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

jivjov if you'd like to know what an author who actually communicates in a rational way looks like, here's Sanderson's recent update (some spoilers) on Oathbringer, one of several books he's working on:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/41r099/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_2/

He even talks about how things have changes over time as he worked on the series. Granted, Sanderson is a printing press wrapped in human skin but he's also open with his fans and said openness isn't just "oh I'm working on book HEY GUYS CHECK OUT [non-book stuff] AIN"T IT COOL" like Rothfuss does.

I'm not going to expect Rothfuss (or most writers) to keep people up to date like Sanderson does but when you see how other writers who aren't GRRM work, it's pretty easy to understand how Rothfuss comes across looking like a distracted goony gently caress.

Sanderson is the extreme other end of the scale from GRRM and Rothfuss, and I don't know that anyone else is nearly as OCD about updating people on their page count/percentage like he is (I'm not even sure that's possible for most authors). The vast majority of authors fall somewhere in the middle, and there are certainly other authors who kept fans waiting for years to finish up series or long books.

jivjov posted:

He had clearly stated that Doors of Stone is still being written. Most recently with the "Donate to charity and determine if I stream Fallout 4 or do extra writing" thing. He clarified that he was still working on Doors of Stone and the donation drive writing time would be extra, supplemental writing time.

I'm mostly with you on Rothfuss not really owing anyone anything. But I hope you do see that it's kind of a jackass move to dangle "extra writing time" in front of fans who are presumably anxious to read the rest of the series. I get that Rothfuss is one of the lucky writers who apparently doesn't need to produce work on a regular basis to keep food on the table, but it's also really annoying to see him treat it like it's a side hobby or something.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the main thing I really don't get about the whole Rothfuss thing is why anyone in their right mind would want to watch him (or any other fantasy author) play videogames in the first place.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Torrannor posted:

He builds beautifully crafted worlds with interesting stories set in them. I especially like how his cosmere worlds are set in the same universe, though you don't pick up on that at first. His books also heavily reward rereading them, which I simply love.

I like Sanderson as a person. I've read everything he wrote except some YA and the second Wax and Wayne book. I've just fallen out of love with his writing style as I read more and read more out of the genre.

Torrannor posted:

I like the premise of the cosmere, but I think he left things more nebulous. Less is more kinda mentality. Mieville's New Crouzbon (spelling?) is an example of what I thought was really neat world building.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Earwicker posted:

the main thing I really don't get about the whole Rothfuss thing is why anyone in their right mind would want to watch him (or any other fantasy author) play videogames in the first place.

you just don't get how hard it is to be a published writer man

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Earwicker posted:

Watching speedruns like AGDQ is pretty cool but random streams of people playing games are awful as hell and a lot of people don't realize they have a voice fit for Newspaper.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I used to sometimes watch videos of people playing Dark Souls 2 just to figure out how to do something in the game, but I dont think it would be improved or matter if the player was some fantasy author. is Rothfuss supposed to be particularly good at Fallout 4 or something? I mean its a game about collecting scrap metal and building shacks in boston I don't think I'd want to watch anyone play it, it's tedious enough being the player.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
UGH. And here I thought with all of these new posts in the Patrick Rothfuss thread there was an update for when book three was coming out.

NOPE.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Flattened Spoon posted:

And here I thought with all of these new posts in the Patrick Rothfuss thread there was an update for when book three was coming out.

Your first mistake.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Flattened Spoon posted:

UGH. And here I thought with all of these new posts in the Patrick Rothfuss thread there was an update for when book three was coming out.

NOPE.

:smith::hf::smith:

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Check out this rhyme I made:
Doors of Stone is gonna own.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Earwicker posted:

I used to sometimes watch videos of people playing Dark Souls 2 just to figure out how to do something in the game, but I dont think it would be improved or matter if the player was some fantasy author. is Rothfuss supposed to be particularly good at Fallout 4 or something? I mean its a game about collecting scrap metal and building shacks in boston I don't think I'd want to watch anyone play it, it's tedious enough being the player.

I watched parts of it and the best part was him bitching about the game's writing.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Thoren posted:

Check out this rhyme I made:
Doors of Stone is gonna own.

That's only one line.
You didn't finish your rhyme.
It must be set to
Rothfuss Time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
You just earned your pipes, my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've recently started reading Charles Stross' Laundry Files series, which while incomplete, is an ongoing delight. The author is also extremely communicative at his blog where he often discusses not just the books he's writing, but the business of being an author, explains why he has no tip-jar, and generally comes across as a professional author. He explains the unexpected downsides, and unexpected delays, and why he can't meet all of fandoms expectations while still keeping people up to date with roughly how things are going.

Pratchett was similar, he regarded writing as a job, and himself as a professional in the craft.

pterry posted:

- How do you write
3) Write. For more than three years I wrote more than 400 words every day. I mean, every calendar day. If for some reason, in those pre-portable days, I couldn't get to a keyboard, I wrote hard the previous night and caught up the following day, and if it ever seemed that it was easy to do the average I upped the average. I also did a hell of a lot of editing afterwards but the point was there was something there to edit. I had a more than full-time job as well. I hate to say this, but most of the successful (well, okay... rich) authors I know seem to put 'application' around the top of the list of How-to-do-its. Tough but true."

• Locked thread