Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Ninja Bob posted:

But why would you use PTO or FMLA before you use your sick time? At most of my jobs, PTO/Vacation/whatever they call it gets paid out if you're laid off, but sick doesn't, so sick should be the first category of time used. If there's no distinction and it's all just PTO, I suppose it doesn't matter.

Er, most people I think believe sick time is meant as you being sick, not your dependents. I've never known anyone to take off sick time because their children are sick, so I'm not sure if it's common or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Most places don't have sick time anymore just PTO. Sick time is dumb anyways. At an old job or was 10 vacation and 7 sick. Which means I had 2 weeks off really. My current job is just 27 PTO. Much better.

How often are you really sick enough not to work? Plus for me at least I can always work remote while sick (not for everyone I know).

Also most states do not have any law about paying out PTO. It is up to the company so don't count on that.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

Good work, now post a review on Glassdoor so others will know about the red flags without having to interview first.

Thanks yeah I posted an interview review.

SiGmA_X posted:

gently caress that dude. I do agree 15/15 vacation/sick is a lot, but it's not at all unheard of to negotiate terms.

Not bringing anything to the table to make profit after a quarter? Yeah right. How does it go with the position empty? Less profit/more people working and doing worse work. My company pays a mostly predefined bonus every March, which can vary -25% to +50% based on the companies performance. You are eligible if you start before October 31st the prior year. So they figure if you're been there 4 months and haven't been fired, you're worth throwing a small amount of extra money at (it's based on your wages in the prior year).

That's what I was thinking, too. If I'd been there for quarter to half a year then a lot of work would have been done. I think he thought I wanted a full year's profit sharing when I started, but I clearly said "accruing" in there twice. Plus he made it sound in the interview that it's something that would be included in the offer in the time frames I mentioned.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I have 4 children, two of whom are 6 months old. I know they get sick. But you burn PTO or FMLA to take care of them.
I can also work remotely where I currently work if I have to watch the baby for some reason.

n8r posted:

In places that aren't tech hubs, asking for a month of time off seems very high to me. It's fine because I think the job was a bad fit, but I feel like a lot of the posters here are giving KG some unrealistic expectations with regard to pay and benefits.

Yeah the pay was pretty much non-negotiable after some math. It would have been incredibly impractical to move because of our day care. Our baby sitter and my family is all within a few miles of here, so it makes it very easy and cheap to take care of what's needed.

The vacation sure, but it was worth a shot I figured. If I had really wanted the job I would have thrown in some words of compromise. The guy said he used to throw office printers and monitors off of his second story balcony onto the warehouse floor when he got pissed off. His only redeeming quality that I was shown was he donated his time to charities making Access databases for them. And that may do more harm than good at this point. I figure the professional thing for him to do would have been to politely decline, or to counter-offer. I don't think he has much respect for his employees. He kept saying "Oh yeah it takes this guy 2 months I could do that in TWO DAYS!!", and I was thinking yeah and that's how you end up with janky unreliable crap.

BloodBag posted:

I've worked for a guy like that in the past. He was an egomaniac narcissist that could do no wrong and consistently yelled and tiraded around the office when even the most minor thing happened. A lot of fuckups were traced directly back to him and his lack of source code controls. He eventually stopped paying everyone in the office. At the first missed paycheck, I peaced out of there. He wanted me back so I wrote him a letter saying pay me what you owe me and I'll consider it. I found out later he stamped all around the office in a fit of rage after that. I sent Texas Workforce commission after him and I got my pay. His response email to my letter was pretty close to what you got. Bullet dodged dude, life's too short to work for assholes. Turns out he didn't pay some people for like six weeks 'because they have savings'. gently caress that guy.

Agreed.

I did a lot of reading on freelancing laws last night. There is a clause in the 1986 Tax Reform Act that removes an exemption for employers who "mistakenly" classify high tech employees as contractors (the end goal would be to save the company payroll tax). Basically if a contractor should be an employee, then a company will have to pay back payroll taxes on said contractor for their services. It can make companies cautious to hire because the line isn't very defined regarding what is a contractor, and what is an employee. The IRS will also "dissolve" 1 man high tech contracting firms less than a year old, and it may need to be fought to prove that the one man company is actually a contractor. I'll need to save up and get a CPA and a lawyer to go over some details with me.

Then I'll need to incorporate as an LLC, and as an aside probably get some professional liability insurance. Insurance is about $1000/yr, a CPA based off what I've read will cost $1,500/yr (and I'll be incredibly careful selecting someone who will represent me in an IRS audit, with an indemnification clause if they don't), and an LLC will be I'm estimating $1000/yr. I don't have a plan to pay for all of that yet, but it's not something I'll be able to start immediately. I'm probably looking at 6 months.

I also found out some of the "hidden costs" of freelancing. Many of which are listed above, and many of which are the loss of things such as a lack of paid holidays. However I'll be moonlighting at first and possibly indefinitely depending on how things turn out. I'll just dedicate 2 hours a day that I was going to use on that commute, and if I can end up with $13,000 net income this year then I'll be in the same financial place I would have been, but with some self respect.

Benefits talk: My wife gets 3 weeks a year PTO which I think is definitely better than my 2 weeks vacation 1 week sick leave

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 20, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Rurutia posted:

Er, most people I think believe sick time is meant as you being sick, not your dependents. I've never known anyone to take off sick time because their children are sick, so I'm not sure if it's common or not.
Really? That's weird, people take a sick day to take care of sick kids/spouses/parents all the time where I work. We have unlimited sick time, which is pretty neat.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rurutia posted:

I see people taking sick days for their kids every day at work. This is incredibly common.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Depends on the company. At my current one I can take one sick day to care for dependents a year.

But I also have like 3 months of sick leave given to me every year and the rest would be half pay sick leave.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Whelp, I'll let my husband and parents know that they're taking off PTO for no reason. They have unlimited sick leave too.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I see people taking sick days for their kids every day at work. This is incredibly common.

Pretty much this all the time.

poo poo at my old job with sick time I used most my sick time to go the the dentist and stuff.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

I have 4 children, two of whom are 6 months old. I know they get sick. But you burn PTO or FMLA to take care of them.

That's what sick time is for unless you work for Mr. Spreadsheet of Lazy Employees.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

As you reveal more of what this guy said it's pretty surprising that you were seriously considering working for him.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Baja Mofufu posted:

As you reveal more of what this guy said it's pretty surprising that you were seriously considering working for him.

FWIW we basically forced KG to take the interview to get some practice at least.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

spwrozek posted:

FWIW we basically forced KG to take the interview to get some practice at least.

Well yeah, there's nothing wrong with interviewing. I said/meant after having talked to the guy.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Knyteguy posted:

I'm never sure what to say exactly. I'm generally prepared for "what are you currently making". Plus I've always been told to try to get them to throw out a number first, which I did accomplish. I need work negotiating for salaries.

I think it's mainly that he doesn't do a lot of oversight, so when people are working on projects for 2 months and he's not seeing anything, he starts to get resentful (his words during the interview). He also said that he's had experience with lazy people who start getting paid well and stop doing work.

He's implementing a new plan where the person in this position would email him once a week on progress. He also said that the site has been stagnating with new hires, and I believe this could be because he hasn't weeded out candidates very well. He could pick the most terrible developer in the world, and he would never know it because he didn't ask for any whiteboard coding. This position will have power to revamp all of that. He said if he thinks [position] thinks there's something to be done that needs hiring people etc that I can bring a plan to him and if he likes the RoI he'll let me hire some guys (or at least be a large part of the process).

Is that still a red flag? It seems like a sink or swim type of situation, but I'm OK with that if the expectations are reasonable.

Assuming $75,000 it's a 13k raise plus profit sharing; I think profit sharing is significant enough to be included, as the company has been stable with around $10,000,000 in revenue each year for the past 5-10 years. Profit sharing wouldn't kick in until about 3-6 months. I was thinking of negotiating that to start at 3 months.

90-120 minutes of commute added per day (roughly). Most of the commute traffic goes into Reno, not out of it, so at least it wouldn't be bad once I get out of the freeway junction area.

What if I tried to negotiate flex scheduling into a contract to start after a few months? If I could leave early or late then I could cut down the commute time quite a bit.

Yeah. I fixed the door latch. It was like $15 for a part from a junk yard. It's my fault it broke though. I was in a hurry and just slammed the door on the jammed latch, rather than simply working it loose from the ice. We've been getting nasty patterns of rain for a few hours and then snow on top of it, so it's putting like half inch thick ice on everything. Both of my car locks were frozen one day.

To you and Horking - so I should say $120,000 in the future?

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I may be, as I'm not used to moving around jobs), but I think with the info above that it would get me more involved in the administration side of things. I wouldn't mind that. I'm not sure how that would affect my career though.

1 more today via phone call.

It's well on the way to my wife's job. Her commute is about 35 minutes, I'd say it's about 20-25 minutes from her work. We could likely come up with a solution to move closer, but it will take some thought and planning. If I accept I'll be stuck with this commute for this year, because I'm not early breaking a lease.

He wants to hire pretty much immediately, but I told him I need to give 2 weeks notice.

Alright so I "pretty much" have the job according to the owner. He wants me to talk to him today to discuss the transition, and he just wants me to answer one more interview question via email, which I'll do shortly. How do you guys think I should proceed? I don't have a written offer yet with details.

I was thinking too that I may be able to make a bit of money on the side (if I took the job) by freelancing with my current company and the company in Texas.

If I were to accept the job, would I resign my current job through email as my boss is out of town this week?

e: If I'm sounding rude here or something then it's

We pressured him to take the interview, even though he was lukewarm about it, but this is the specific post I see where after the rest of the thread starts talking about red flags and how the job doesn't sound that great from the description (esp for 80k), Knyte starts sounding like he's seriously considering taking an offer.

I mentioned it before but you sound easy to bulldoze/pressure so please try to build a cooling off/get advice period into important life decisions.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 20, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rurutia posted:

My employer explicitly states in its policies that sick time can be used to care for your sick children.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeeeep.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah at work our sick days are classified as sick-self or sick-dependent when we enter them in but they all come from the same sick day pool

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

spwrozek posted:

Most places don't have sick time anymore just PTO. Sick time is dumb anyways. At an old job or was 10 vacation and 7 sick. Which means I had 2 weeks off really. My current job is just 27 PTO. Much better.

How often are you really sick enough not to work? Plus for me at least I can always work remote while sick (not for everyone I know).

Also most states do not have any law about paying out PTO. It is up to the company so don't count on that.

I work at a government job and I get 13 days vacation + 11 paid holidays + 3 personal holidays (basically extra vacation) + 13 sick days.

A lot of times, I am not really sick enough not to work, but I work in a high stakes environment, where if I come to work contagious and get others sick, it could be really really bad for staffing. Anytime anyone even looks depressed, let alone sick, they get sent home. I actually much prefer this to where I used to work and every little thing was questioned, including someone who had a miscarriage and took time off for it.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Baja Mofufu posted:

Well yeah, there's nothing wrong with interviewing. I said/meant after having talked to the guy.

Put yourself in KG's shoes, he had an actual for real opportunity to increase his paycheck after being prick teased by his current boss about the very same thing for months? Years?

The recognition and ego boost that comes with increased pay that's been deferred for unjustifiably long is pretty goddamn alluring on an emotional level.

Of course, making more money won't help KG & Janus' finances until they can exert sustained and real discipline over their spending but it's not hard to see how it was attractive.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

RheaConfused posted:

I work at a government job and I get 13 days vacation + 11 paid holidays + 3 personal holidays (basically extra vacation) + 13 sick days.

A lot of times, I am not really sick enough not to work, but I work in a high stakes environment, where if I come to work contagious and get others sick, it could be really really bad for staffing. Anytime anyone even looks depressed, let alone sick, they get sent home. I actually much prefer this to where I used to work and every little thing was questioned, including someone who had a miscarriage and took time off for it.
That sounds glorious. My manager is sick right now. The 6 day work weeks at 12-14 hours cause her to get sick every January. The rest of us are expected to be here unless we're throwing up, pretty much. We CAN WFH, but because we're so paper heavy, we can't do it during closing... Paper is the bane of my existence. I think in the only anti paper person in corporate finance, too!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Local government worker checking in :whatup:

Top vacation / bottom sick time. I also have two personal days I can use.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

SiGmA_X posted:

That sounds glorious. My manager is sick right now. The 6 day work weeks at 12-14 hours cause her to get sick every January. The rest of us are expected to be here unless we're throwing up, pretty much. We CAN WFH, but because we're so paper heavy, we can't do it during closing... Paper is the bane of my existence. I think in the only anti paper person in corporate finance, too!

Yeah, previously I worked in a hospital and the attitude that you MUST come to work no matter what was really pervasive and horrible. Now I work with a helicopter rescue unit that is not privately owned. God help you if you get a pilot sick. But also, they actually care about you. Imagine that!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I work in a cancer research facility so if you have a fever you ARE NOT ALLOWED TO COME IN! Managers will get pissed if you walk in the building sick. We all got the super quad protection flu shots. And there's a nurses office on the floor below. Can get any vaccination you want there, plus they'll tell you to go home if they think you are a contagion. Handy.

13 holidays, 13 days of sick, 12 vacation days starting at day one. Plus a floating holiday/personal day somewhere.

No one uses vacation to take care of their sick kids. nosir.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I have hesitated to post anything because this thread got so mind-bogglingly, eye-bulgingly stupid with all the lying and hiding and stuff. But here goes. There are several things I think you ought to take away from this whole "new job" thing.

1. Do you have a LinkedIn account? Depending on the job season, I get as many as 3-4 recruiters or HR people hitting me up per day, with more and more of that being remote jobs, which would work great for you.
2. The boss sounds like a nutter and if you come back after the fact asking for more money, I think he's going to flip his poo poo, and tell you to get lost.
3. Make a plan. Make a plan. Make. A. Plan. Here is how all of this could, and should, go down:

So the point is just think about things and develop a plan. Also make a LinkedIn, put stuff like "I'm passionate about technology" in the profile, and make a github. You will be amazed the difference it makes.

Meant to get to this post.

1) I do, but I don't get many hits. I feel like I have a decent profile picture. My description is:

quote:

I am a software engineer who is focused on creating and maintaining software solutions to enhance the productivity and sales of your company. I have a wide range of experience in the software side of business, from designing and creating solutions in an enterprise environment, to planning and creating feature-rich graphical user interfaces and interactions for web, desktop, and mobile. I am an extremely motivated self-learner who picks up new concepts very quickly.
2) Sounds like he did.
3) Working on it.

I do have a Github as well. My only problem is I don't like to necessarily open source my work, as it's usually commercial. I have a semi-popular project (to my standards) that I've been meaning to update. Here's my profile: https://github.com/Noppadet

I'm not sure what else I can do there at the moment.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Put yourself in KG's shoes, he had an actual for real opportunity to increase his paycheck after being prick teased by his current boss about the very same thing for months? Years?

The recognition and ego boost that comes with increased pay that's been deferred for unjustifiably long is pretty goddamn alluring on an emotional level.

Of course, making more money won't help KG & Janus' finances until they can exert sustained and real discipline over their spending but it's not hard to see how it was attractive.

Yeah it's just this. I've turned down two jobs this year already. One was $86,000/first year and ~$75,000/yr, and the other was $75,000/yr + ~$86,000/yr potentially. It's a little frustrating to be walking away from a significant salary increase, even if the reality is that it would be less money overall, or a crappy work environment.

I'm thinking of seeing if I can go 4/10s or 3/12s at my day job. I'm trying to come up with ways to spin it as a benefit for everyone (as has been mentioned in the thread before). If I could do 3/12s with perhaps phone obligations (very rare) the remaining two days without a pay cut, then I would actually be getting a raise per hour. If I took a 5% pay cut it would still be a raise. 4/10s is probably more realistic.

If I can manage to get that, then I could use the 1-2 remaining days to startmy freelance business. It will be slow to start, but I'd like to have a website and blog setup and finished by my birthday in August, which is realistic. I'm turning 30 this year, so becoming more financially independent from my day job would be a great way to start my next decade.

My dog has one ligament in her knee that the vet believes is fully torn, and her other knee is partially torn. We got some blood work done to see if she has a thyroid problem as she's overweight despite cutting food, and she has a very low energy level.

The vet quoted us at $6,000 for ligament surgery (TPLO both knees). We'll be trying conservative management with continual calorie cutting at first instead of surgery, and then keeping her on anti-inflammatories. Hopefully she will improve. The vet believes that weight loss would help the most. If not then I'll have to moonlight to pay for it. I intend on shopping around if it comes to this. We could potentially take her to the UC Berkeley veterinary school for a discount, or a more rural vet with lower overhead.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Don't spend $6000 on a dog.

Also 10 hour days in the office are not productive. The people who do that here get so much less done than 8 hour days. I would say 9-80's are doable. Lol at 3-12's....

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Knyteguy posted:

The vet quoted us at $6,000 for ligament surgery (TPLO both knees). We'll be trying conservative management with continual calorie cutting at first instead of surgery, and then keeping her on anti-inflammatories. Hopefully she will improve. The vet believes that weight loss would help the most. If not then I'll have to moonlight to pay for it. I intend on shopping around if it comes to this. We could potentially take her to the UC Berkeley veterinary school for a discount, or a more rural vet with lower overhead.

If a veterinary school is an option for you, I would highly recommend it. They have more up-to-date equipment and way more specialists on hand than your average vet. It's much more like a hospital, where you have an anesthesiologist monitoring the anesthesia, radiologists who read any X-rays/ultrasounds/etc., plus at least one experienced surgeon who specializes in and teaches the type of surgery being done, and then one or more vet students who are learning from the process.

That said, I don't consider vet schools "a discount." The vet school we used charged the same amount for the procedure that our vet would have. The only difference was that the vet school had way more experience and was better equipped to handle emergencies.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

My dog has one ligament in her knee that the vet believes is fully torn, and her other knee is partially torn. We got some blood work done to see if she has a thyroid problem as she's overweight despite cutting food, and she has a very low energy level.

First off, this sucks. Dogs are family.

Second off, call around to a few vets. A friend of mine works for a mobile surgical vet who seems to move between multiple practices, and he once told me that it would cost ~1800 a knee for an ACL, when I had paid ~2500.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Would now be an inappropriate time to ask if you have pet insurance and if not, why not? Is that not a thing where you are or...? (I ask because our cats have insurance, but I don't know the details.)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Pet insurance is bad with money, you should get rid of it and put the money in a savings account instead.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

slap me silly posted:

Pet insurance is bad with money, you should get rid of it and put the money in a savings account instead.
This. I've know a few people with arguable good pet insurance. One of them had some cat issue and the animal was hospitalized for a week plus and needed an operation, it was many thousands. They added up their premiums and decided it was basically a wash.

I have both a pet savings and pet care line item for my lab. And an emergency fund I would use on him, depending on what it is. I grew up on a farm so I'm not against putting an animal down, but I'd rather not. Depending on what it is.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

DogsCantBudget posted:

First off, this sucks. Dogs are family.

Second off, call around to a few vets. A friend of mine works for a mobile surgical vet who seems to move between multiple practices, and he once told me that it would cost ~1800 a knee for an ACL, when I had paid ~2500.

As a vet myself, I'd say that it depends on the procedure. If the dog it small and you can get away with a lateral suture then yes, it's cheaper. $3000/knee though is fairly typical for a TPLO. I also don't think you'd be able to (or want to) find a rural vet to do a TPLO, Knyte. That's specialist stuff. Also... do you mean UC Davis?

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

slap me silly posted:

I agree with this generally, but pet insurance saved me when my dog swallowed a ball and would have died without surgery to remove it. I had zero savings at the time (and in fact quite a bit of debt). I ended up paying $100 of a $2500 procedure. That alone was equivalent to several years worth of premiums. I feel like I "lucked out", but I'm constantly keeping an eye on the premium and whether I'm coming out ahead (or only slightly behind--the price for "peace of mind" I guess). I think eventually as my savings builds and the premiums start going up, I'll cancel.

In this case, if KG doesn't already have pet insurance, he probably shouldn't bother looking into it. The premiums would be huge for an older dog (I'm making the assumption that the dog is kind of old), and I can't imagine there are too many things that could happen at this point that they wouldn't consider a pre-existing condition anyway.

Sorry to hear hear about your dog though.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Keep in mind, he has--what?-- five pets? That's a lot of insurance.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

spwrozek posted:

Don't spend $6000 on a dog.

Also 10 hour days in the office are not productive. The people who do that here get so much less done than 8 hour days. I would say 9-80's are doable. Lol at 3-12's....

9-80s I don't think would be worth it after reading about it. Interesting concept though - I'd never heard of that schedule before.

I don't really have a problem if I can moonlight on the side to pay for her. I'm hopeful that conservative management and some dramatic weight loss will give her a good quality of life, though.

LoreOfSerpents posted:

If a veterinary school is an option for you, I would highly recommend it. They have more up-to-date equipment and way more specialists on hand than your average vet. It's much more like a hospital, where you have an anesthesiologist monitoring the anesthesia, radiologists who read any X-rays/ultrasounds/etc., plus at least one experienced surgeon who specializes in and teaches the type of surgery being done, and then one or more vet students who are learning from the process.

That said, I don't consider vet schools "a discount." The vet school we used charged the same amount for the procedure that our vet would have. The only difference was that the vet school had way more experience and was better equipped to handle emergencies.

Ah good to know. I was thinking it would be cheaper, but for better technologies it would still be worth it.

Horking Delight posted:

Would now be an inappropriate time to ask if you have pet insurance and if not, why not? Is that not a thing where you are or...? (I ask because our cats have insurance, but I don't know the details.)

Nah no insurance. I haven't found very decent offerings around here.

SiGmA_X posted:

This. I've know a few people with arguable good pet insurance. One of them had some cat issue and the animal was hospitalized for a week plus and needed an operation, it was many thousands. They added up their premiums and decided it was basically a wash.

I have both a pet savings and pet care line item for my lab. And an emergency fund I would use on him, depending on what it is. I grew up on a farm so I'm not against putting an animal down, but I'd rather not. Depending on what it is.

This definitely isn't something I'd put her down for. She's not even 4 years old yet.

Braki posted:

As a vet myself, I'd say that it depends on the procedure. If the dog it small and you can get away with a lateral suture then yes, it's cheaper. $3000/knee though is fairly typical for a TPLO. I also don't think you'd be able to (or want to) find a rural vet to do a TPLO, Knyte. That's specialist stuff. Also... do you mean UC Davis?

UC Davis yeah. My mistake. It would probably be worth it to go there if we opt for surgery, as it's only 2.5 hours by car.

Alright yeah she's 95 lbs right now, so the vet didn't think a lateral suture would be worth it. Hopefully we can bring that weight down some.

qmark posted:

I agree with this generally, but pet insurance saved me when my dog swallowed a ball and would have died without surgery to remove it. I had zero savings at the time (and in fact quite a bit of debt). I ended up paying $100 of a $2500 procedure. That alone was equivalent to several years worth of premiums. I feel like I "lucked out", but I'm constantly keeping an eye on the premium and whether I'm coming out ahead (or only slightly behind--the price for "peace of mind" I guess). I think eventually as my savings builds and the premiums start going up, I'll cancel.

In this case, if KG doesn't already have pet insurance, he probably shouldn't bother looking into it. The premiums would be huge for an older dog (I'm making the assumption that the dog is kind of old), and I can't imagine there are too many things that could happen at this point that they wouldn't consider a pre-existing condition anyway.

Sorry to hear hear about your dog though.

Yeah she's not even 4. I have no idea how she tore her ligaments, as she's generally pretty lazy.

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your dog as well. I'm glad pet insurance was able to help you out of a tight spot.

foxatee posted:

Keep in mind, he has--what?-- five pets? That's a lot of insurance.

Four pets, but yeah. The cats are inside cats though, so luckily in the 5.5 years we've had them they've never had any problems. I'd guess that things will be needed as they get older, so we'll need to be prepared. The dogs are young at nearly 1 and a half or so, and nearly 4.

My wife and I were talking about the budget last night. I'll post what we were thinking after we flesh it out some more. Nothing big, mostly just its purpose.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just a quick thought: You do have a problem if you can moonlight to pay for it.

That's 6 thousand dollars. How much would 6k help with getting you out of debt right now? How much breathing room would you have if you could moonlight and put 6k in an emergency fund?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Alright yeah she's 95 lbs right now, so the vet didn't think a lateral suture would be worth it. Hopefully we can bring that weight down some.

If any of your other pets are also fat, please feed them less as well before they have issues.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'd suggest not replacing older pets as they pass away until you are down to a couple of pets. It's easy to think of pets as just costing the price of a bag of food x 12 months. But the real cost of owning a pet is that $5,000 pet bill that they get about once a lifetime on average. Five pets means the once-in-a-lifetime bill will come around about every 3 years on average, assuming a lifetime of 15 years per pet. This is a good case for having a large emergency fund.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

No Butt Stuff posted:

Just a quick thought: You do have a problem if you can moonlight to pay for it.

That's 6 thousand dollars. How much would 6k help with getting you out of debt right now? How much breathing room would you have if you could moonlight and put 6k in an emergency fund?

$6,000 would help a lot of course. I'm trying to come up with a plan to take care of this while staying on track. We may be able to make some cuts we wouldn't otherwise make. We still have the most potential cuts to make in food expenses, for example. There's also the potential for trade work for the vet, and more. First though we'll find out about her thyroid, and go from there.

Inept posted:

If any of your other pets are also fat, please feed them less as well before they have issues.

The rest are pretty good. We'll absolutely be keeping more of an eye on them moving forward.

BarbarianElephant posted:

I'd suggest not replacing older pets as they pass away until you are down to a couple of pets. It's easy to think of pets as just costing the price of a bag of food x 12 months. But the real cost of owning a pet is that $5,000 pet bill that they get about once a lifetime on average. Five pets means the once-in-a-lifetime bill will come around about every 3 years on average, assuming a lifetime of 15 years per pet. This is a good case for having a large emergency fund.

We're definitely not getting more pets after this. I love animals if you can't tell, but I'm thinking our 50s or 60s would be a better time for them. My son will have exposure to them as he grows up with our current pets, so as long as that situation stands then I'm OK with it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

$6,000 would help a lot of course. I'm trying to come up with a plan to take care of this while staying on track. We may be able to make some cuts we wouldn't otherwise make. We still have the most potential cuts to make in food expenses, for example. There's also the potential for trade work for the vet, and more. First though we'll find out about her thyroid, and go from there.

I think the point was if you had the potential to moonlight before and make enough to cover a $6K bill like this, you should have already been doing or done it to make a difference in the rest of your budget.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
Be careful when it comes to a drastic diet, sometimes losing weight quickly can be bad for them as well. I know it is for cats, I think dogs are different, but it can't hurt to be informed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I have no idea what you're feeding your pets now, so disregard if this doesn't apply:

It's somewhat counterintuitive, but feeding pets decent quality food isn't necessarily more expensive than feeding them the cheapest poo poo in the store. They'll eat less of the better stuff because it's more nutritionally & calorically dense, and they'll have fewer vet expenses because they'll be healthier overall. They'll also poop less since they're eating less. :v: It's not going to solve your dog's current health problems, but it can help prevent more in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Haifisch posted:

I have no idea what you're feeding your pets now, so disregard if this doesn't apply:

It's somewhat counterintuitive, but feeding pets decent quality food isn't necessarily more expensive than feeding them the cheapest poo poo in the store. They'll eat less of the better stuff because it's more nutritionally & calorically dense, and they'll have fewer vet expenses because they'll be healthier overall. They'll also poop less since they're eating less. :v: It's not going to solve your dog's current health problems, but it can help prevent more in the future.

We feed them pretty good food generally. I'll post it later, because I'm definitely down for less poop.

She does have hypothyroidism. Good news and bad I suppose, but at least there's medication for it.

• Locked thread