Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

xanthan posted:

So uh, is it cheating to get myself a steel pick head solely for that blightfall quest if I make something able to mine stuff it could mine? I mean I ended up making damascus steel and then found platinum so the idea of making the drat thing at this point is a little pointless. Also kind of having a pain trying to work out how to make an invisibility potion for a magic quest in it. Netherwort is required, right?

Well I mean it's not that hard to get steel. Netherwart is pretty easy to get too if you explore a bit. Do the scouting quests! Seriously, do them, it's important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Well I mean it's not that hard to get steel. Netherwart is pretty easy to get too if you explore a bit. Do the scouting quests! Seriously, do them, it's important.

Ok then. Would you recommend just digging a tunnel using a hammer so I can avoid mobs or I am being way to danger avoidant by thinking to do that? Really loving the mod pack now that I've managed to avoid cheating. Takes longer but the progression seems more satisfying.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

xanthan posted:

Ok then. Would you recommend just digging a tunnel using a hammer so I can avoid mobs or I am being way to danger avoidant by thinking to do that? Really loving the mod pack now that I've managed to avoid cheating. Takes longer but the progression seems more satisfying.

Have you started Thaumcraft yet? The mining focus isn't too expensive and it will mine anything.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Have you started Thaumcraft yet? The mining focus isn't too expensive and it will mine anything.

Got the book, meter, wand, and first 2 tables but haven't really started with it. Guess I know what to aim for with it though, thanks. Anything else in it I should focus on rushing to?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, so after we installed Dynmap and Sampler, we've been getting lots of TPS and block lag. I'm pretty sure it's dynmap, so I'm wondering if there's any way to reduce its strain on the server any. Also, as of this afternoon, our server has been periodically crashing. Here's a pastebin of the latest crash log. Can someone please help me decipher it and fix the mess?

Also, and this is far less important, we keep getting "[Server thread/WARN]: Skipping Entity with id" in the console. It happens maybe once every minute and a half to two minutes. I only really started noticing it since we installed dynmap/Storage Drawers/Sampler, but might have started after we installed Malisis Doors prior to those other mods. Googling around tells me that something is trying to spawn an entity with a specific ID, but since that entity doesn't exist, it skips it. However, this isn't giving me an ID to follow, so I don't know what to do.

For Dynmap, comb through the config file. It's HUGE and kind of a mess but the important stuff is labelled and described in a pretty straightforward manner - there are lots of settings relating to how aggressive it is at re-scanning chunks. Set it to only be active if tps is above 19, certain number of players online, certain waiting period between rescanning, etc.

For the error, ignore it. MC spits out tons of stupid errors that won't impact you, this is one of them.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

xanthan posted:

Ok then. Would you recommend just digging a tunnel using a hammer so I can avoid mobs or I am being way to danger avoidant by thinking to do that?
Boats are extremely useful for covering a lot of ground. If you're going to do any digging anywhere, dig to the nearest body of water and use that as your base entrance. Just make sure you're at least like 6+ blocks below surface level so the taint doesn't jump to your tunnel.

Additionally, tcon longswords are great for traversing terrain with their double jump. It takes some practice to be able to maximize your air time without hurting yourself, but it helps avoid taint sickness. Also very useful for avoiding mobs. And if you're careful, in forested areas there usually isn't any taint on the tops of trees, so you can double jump up there and be relatively safe.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
Re: Journeymap and leftover maps from previous worlds: recent versions of Journeymap have a "clear map" button in the options to fix exactly this problem without having to root around in the filesystem.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

For the Thaumcraft experts here; are my pedestals too low?

So far it hasn't mattered in my infusions (at least there's been zero accidents) but I'm about to do a dangerous infusion and wanted some confirmation.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Cryohazard posted:

For Galactic Science, is it worth trying to automate production and distribution of Methyl Methacrylate or should I just stick to sucking up water en masse and pruning off the Hydrogen?

The thing is that while it's so much more efficient than just burning off Hydrogen, it's such a pain in the rear end when the alternative is so much easier. Four fluid transfer nodes around a 3x3 pool of water with the oxygen venting into Bin 2.0 would work just as well but it feels cheap and dirty.

Burning hydrogen is a stupid way to power a base, but there aren't really any good ones. I don't like doing it myself, but gently caress it, it's not my fault the modpack author couldn't be bothered to make power gen interesting.

A couple of things to think about when using hydrogen with Stirling generators:

• If you use the hydrogen system to power the disassembler, it can and will run out of hydrogen under a heavy power load and starve itself. I use a second, smaller system with a second disassembler to keep the main one powered.
  • You will need a very fast hydrogen transport system. Try the pseudo round-robin upgrade for the transfer node, along with stack and speed.
  • The limiting factor on the amount of hydrogen you get out is the amount of water you can put in. I have four fluid transfer nodes and it isn't enough, and more will just get in each others' way. I wish there was a way to upgrade the internal tank.

Cryohazard posted:

PS: if I get Paul as a reward one more loving time I'm going to murder them all out of spite, useless vanity self-inserts as rewards are the absolute loving worst.

I have yet to get anything good from reward bags, best was probably a magnum torch from an epic one. Pick the other option if you can.

ps. post ur moonbase.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

fondue posted:

So far it hasn't mattered in my infusions (at least there's been zero accidents) but I'm about to do a dangerous infusion and wanted some confirmation.

Nah you're fine

As long as they're symmetrical in the X/Z axes (ie front/back and left/right) and within range on the Y axis (up/down) then you're fine. "In range" on the Y axis is like +5 to -12 from the spinning cube thing

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Magres posted:

Nah you're fine

As long as they're symmetrical in the X/Z axes (ie front/back and left/right) and within range on the Y axis (up/down) then you're fine. "In range" on the Y axis is like +5 to -12 from the spinning cube thing

Thanks!

I ran it and it went without a single spark! You can't see from the image but under the limestone bricks and grass there are nearly two hundred tallow candles helping.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

fondue posted:

one thing to note is that if you do get instability and an item liquefies into the flux liquid, all the mob heads near it are going to get uprooted and drop as items, which will gently caress up your symmetry

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

fondue posted:

Wait, you can do them like that? :aaaaa: I always thought the pedestals had to be on the same level as the altar...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This changes loving everything about infusions!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Wolfsbane posted:

Burning hydrogen is a stupid way to power a base, but there aren't really any good ones. I don't like doing it myself, but gently caress it, it's not my fault the modpack author couldn't be bothered to make power gen interesting.

It IS interesting, if you don't mind bootstrapping a Mark II rocket from thousands of sifted cobblestone and thousands more to automate the process fast enough so you aren't reduced to running the game in the background. I mean you could do that (MineChem chemicals can be bucketed out, a handful of which will keep you fed forever) but isn't getting through the quests the reason you started up this modpack in the first place? Not spend your time staring at a sifter eking out resources at an incredibly slow rate.

Then you fly to Mars, dig out some ore that's required for the next 'tier' of everything, set up to go home and realize you can't. You need a fuel loader machine to dump your fuel back into the rocket. And the solar panel you brought with you for just such an occasion doesn't produce any power! You can't suicide to respawn back on the moon because Galacticraft 'worlds' are dumb. There's no emergency option to get back home in the questbook, either!

So what I'm saying is the 'fun' stuff is stuck behind Gregtech levels of grinding and intermediate steps and not-well-documented gotchas.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sage Grimm posted:

So what I'm saying is the 'fun' stuff is stuck behind Gregtech levels of grinding and intermediate steps and not-well-documented gotchas.

I got all the way to Mars legitimately, and even had the foresight to pack 100% of everything I needed to get home - fully charged power cells, fuel tanks, fuel loader, launch pad, etc., but once I realized that once ON mars there was nothing to mine and the way I was expected to get Desh ore was to auto-quarry infinite spans of mars dirt so I could sift it in an ex nihilo sieve at 1% ore drop rate I just laughed for 10 solid minutes and uninstalled the pack.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

I got all the way to Mars legitimately, and even had the foresight to pack 100% of everything I needed to get home - fully charged power cells, fuel tanks, fuel loader, launch pad, etc., but once I realized that once ON mars there was nothing to mine and the way I was expected to get Desh ore was to auto-quarry infinite spans of mars dirt so I could sift it in an ex nihilo sieve at 1% ore drop rate I just laughed for 10 solid minutes and uninstalled the pack.

This is a weirdly common problem in games and mods that cater to spergs and it's why I'm really iffy on Fortresscraft. I get that it's in early access but in the bleeding edge build the dev spends a lot of time tweaking stuff to be harder to get and cost more. But that's a terrible balance philosophy! Why would you gate progression behind nothing more than time when you could make use of cool machines and interactions that challenge the player to make more efficient use of his resources? I want to build stupidly complex networks of machines, ore purifiers, power lasers and doodads. I don't want to build loving 500 block conveyor belts and wait for the ores to trickle in because the next block I unlock costs 200 titanium bars to make.

Your example is even worse than that and it's a mean feat.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Demiurge4 posted:

This is a weirdly common problem in games and mods that cater to spergs and it's why I'm really iffy on Fortresscraft. I get that it's in early access but in the bleeding edge build the dev spends a lot of time tweaking stuff to be harder to get and cost more. But that's a terrible balance philosophy! Why would you gate progression behind nothing more than time when you could make use of cool machines and interactions that challenge the player to make more efficient use of his resources? I want to build stupidly complex networks of machines, ore purifiers, power lasers and doodads. I don't want to build loving 500 block conveyor belts and wait for the ores to trickle in because the next block I unlock costs 200 titanium bars to make.

Your example is even worse than that and it's a mean feat.

Well, part of this is because an early access game lives or dies on how often it updates. There's a lot of incentive to plan Game Feature to be long and complicated and nuanced (or just grindy,) but then you realize you need to push up another deliverable, so you put simple, placeholder mechanics in as a stopgap until you have enough time to do it "right."

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Taffer posted:

For Dynmap, comb through the config file. It's HUGE and kind of a mess but the important stuff is labelled and described in a pretty straightforward manner - there are lots of settings relating to how aggressive it is at re-scanning chunks. Set it to only be active if tps is above 19, certain number of players online, certain waiting period between rescanning, etc.

For the error, ignore it. MC spits out tons of stupid errors that won't impact you, this is one of them.

I tried messing with the config last night. In all honesty, we're likely going to remove it from the server. I probably didn't dial back the features enough, but it had been running our server at ~300% CPU for the last couple of days, and the moment we turned it off, the CPU load went down to ~80% and the lag was gone. We already have Voxelmap for local mapviewing, we just wanted something to provide us with a periodically updated render for people to see how the server has changed over the last month.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

I tried messing with the config last night. In all honesty, we're likely going to remove it from the server. I probably didn't dial back the features enough, but it had been running our server at ~300% CPU for the last couple of days, and the moment we turned it off, the CPU load went down to ~80% and the lag was gone. We already have Voxelmap for local mapviewing, we just wanted something to provide us with a periodically updated render for people to see how the server has changed over the last month.

Once Dynmap has rendered the world, I haven't noticed it eat a lot of CPU or disk I/O when keeping up with the usual world interactions. If/when someone goes and explores many chunks, that will lead to a few small spikes, but not for long.

Dynmap: Configuration wiki has some good documentation, e.g.

quote:

# How often a tile gets rendered (in seconds).
renderinterval: 1

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
anyone got any advice for filling in a giant pit in regrowth

i went a little ham with the terra shatterer

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Its been brought to my attention that Curse, if you filter it to 1.8.9 is a better resource for finding mods then Not Enough Mods.

And it is. :haw: Storage Draws get!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

anyone got any advice for filling in a giant pit in regrowth

i went a little ham with the terra shatterer

similsax transtructor, just cover the top

i guess you can fill in the entire pit with one too if you really wanted to

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

There's a Botania tool designed for levelling terrain (rod of the land or something? I'm bad at botania) that will basically spawn dirt around you until everything is flat. It's great for filling in pits, caverns, the basement of your house, whatever.

e: terra firma rod

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

You can't be loving serious. Thanks for the heads up.

ME^4 might be a mess but at least it knows how to be fun.

E: I mean holy poo poo, is Galacticraft somehow not grindy enough? All I wanted was a loving space adventure, not an exercise in dirt farming.

Cryohazard fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 21, 2016

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Cryohazard posted:

E: I mean holy poo poo, is Galacticraft somehow not grindy enough? All I wanted was a loving space adventure, not an exercise in dirt farming.

Space adventure games have a huge problem with dirt farming. So much so that it's almost canonical.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Is it still doing the initial render of the entire world? If so, yeah it'll hog way more than normal. Let it complete its full render and then it'll sit nicely in the background.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lolmer posted:

lolmer stuff
Hey lolmer. You can't accept PMs so I couldn't ask you offline for Dad Bar dialog stuff. It's a good place to plug things for new people. I mentioned OMP in StealthArcher's dialog, and I was going to mention EZNuke and ComputerCraft in yours, but it sounds like you have something else cooking. I was going to avoid mentioning specific servers addresses, but somewhere I was going to mention goons having servers for themselves.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Cryohazard posted:

You can't be loving serious. Thanks for the heads up.

ME^4 might be a mess but at least it knows how to be fun.

It's not *quite* as bad as Mzbundifund makes it out to be, maybe he played an earlier version, but in my game there were deposits of the usual ore on Mars, including a decent amount of Desh ore from the core sample I made with the 5x5 pickaxe. But IIRC there's nothing else on Mars to do so you *will* end up setting up a quarry and completely ignoring the planet otherwise.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sage Grimm posted:

It's not *quite* as bad as Mzbundifund makes it out to be, maybe he played an earlier version, but in my game there were deposits of the usual ore on Mars, including a decent amount of Desh ore from the core sample I made with the 5x5 pickaxe. But IIRC there's nothing else on Mars to do so you *will* end up setting up a quarry and completely ignoring the planet otherwise.

Maybe it's changed, but after I mined for like an hour legitimately, I cheated into creative mode and plowed through a monstrous amount of mars rock and found absolutely nothing. I'm not even mad, it's just too stupid to be upset about.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey lolmer. You can't accept PMs so I couldn't ask you offline for Dad Bar dialog stuff. It's a good place to plug things for new people. I mentioned OMP in StealthArcher's dialog, and I was going to mention EZNuke and ComputerCraft in yours, but it sounds like you have something else cooking. I was going to avoid mentioning specific servers addresses, but somewhere I was going to mention goons having servers for themselves.

Hey Rocko,

I'm not a Premium Goon, sorry. :) My Lolmer's EZ-Nuke scripts are what I've mostly worked on, plus helping out mechaet with the Modderation: Permabanned/FYAD configs and issues in GitHub. The only servers I run is for my immediate family and not accessible outside of my network; for public servers I use other peoples' (such as mechaet's). I don't currently have any other projects in the works.

I think the names of servers should make them findable in Technic or on these forums for those with access and addresses themselves not needed, though I believe that chat text can be made linkable if you want to go to that effort.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lolmer posted:

Hey Rocko,

I'm not a Premium Goon, sorry. :) My Lolmer's EZ-Nuke scripts are what I've mostly worked on, plus helping out mechaet with the Modderation: Permabanned/FYAD configs and issues in GitHub. The only servers I run is for my immediate family and not accessible outside of my network; for public servers I use other peoples' (such as mechaet's). I don't currently have any other projects in the works.

I think the names of servers should make them findable in Technic or on these forums for those with access and addresses themselves not needed, though I believe that chat text can be made linkable if you want to go to that effort.

oh okay. I thought you were doing some stuff other than Modderation and EZNuke. I filled you in. I don't think it's as fun as the other folks yet. I guess I can't have the magic all the time.

For Thyrork, I was going to mention his starring role in Blightfall as a dead body.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Thyrork posted:

Okay, crafting golems is now loving awesome. It does have more steps involved, but still. :magical:

Between this and the research change, I might end up not hating Thaumcraft anymore.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm having a problem with Journeymap now. I'm on a multiplayer server, and regularly when I log in I find that big squares of my map are greyed out as if I'd never been there. They seem to correspond to locations where other players are or were. Has anyone had this problem before, and more importantly how do I fix it?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive been playing regrowth a bit again (started again)

And im actually liking it now. I think my first play through i was too focused on trying to get to thaumcraft stuff.

My problem now is power storage. I have a few combustion engines up, but because i have nothing to store energy in they are pretty useless atm as i dont have any machines actually needing it. (but im heading there, i already need to make a rolling machine, so im started.)

And how far in to either botania/witchery/thaumcraft do i have to be before i can turn the wasteland biome into something good?

Ive dropped a few silverwood trees about, but their biome change radius is laughable.

Oh, and whats the best way to automate harvesting of essense crops? Botania is starting to get mana hungry and its a pain to manually harvest coal to send over to my endoflames. (which will be solved when i get golems and infusions and treefarms... but thats a long way away.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Ive been playing regrowth a bit again (started again)

And im actually liking it now. I think my first play through i was too focused on trying to get to thaumcraft stuff.

My problem now is power storage. I have a few combustion engines up, but because i have nothing to store energy in they are pretty useless atm as i dont have any machines actually needing it. (but im heading there, i already need to make a rolling machine, so im started.)

And how far in to either botania/witchery/thaumcraft do i have to be before i can turn the wasteland biome into something good?

Ive dropped a few silverwood trees about, but their biome change radius is laughable.

Oh, and whats the best way to automate harvesting of essense crops? Botania is starting to get mana hungry and its a pain to manually harvest coal to send over to my endoflames. (which will be solved when i get golems and infusions and treefarms... but thats a long way away.)

Power storage is really only available in Mekanism's storage cubes or whatever they're called. If you've got a recent version of Regrowth, there should be quests for them once you unlock the Mekanism quest line.

Automated farming of crops is either done with Thaumcraft golems or Forestry multifarms.

I believe biome changing is done with Witchery, but I got bored of Regrowth before I made it there.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

Witchery ritual of biome changing thing is what you are supposed to use.

A straw or flesh golem with a harvest core (no ordo upgrade required for crops on sticks), a botania hopperhock for picking stuff up, pipes for sorting and moving stuff around, and a botania crafty crate for autocrafting. If you don't want different stuff grabbed by the hopperhock in the same chest, then just use a frame on the chest with the item you want inside to make a whitelist. As for <5 seconds of time growing crops, you use a fuckton of agricraft sprinklers with a golem with a decanting core to fill it up, a straw golem is fine for this.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought I'd have the Dad Bar bartender be Lloyd from The Shining:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60WR8dB0H-s

I thought it would be funny if the player did Jack Nicklaus' lines. However, CustomNPCs does not newline long dialog choices. So you can't see half the text until the dialog is picked:

This has lead to the dumbest GitHub issue I think I will ever file:

https://github.com/Noppes/CustomNPCsAPI/issues/2

I am a monster.

I guess it's also "Torrance," not "Torrence." Whatever.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bluemillion posted:

Between this and the research change, I might end up not hating Thaumcraft anymore.

I haven't had a chance to mess with them yet but at least according to DW20 they're controlled now by seals on stuff/areas you want to control, rather than seals on the golems, which seems an interesting changeup too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

Power storage is really only available in Mekanism's storage cubes or whatever they're called. If you've got a recent version of Regrowth, there should be quests for them once you unlock the Mekanism quest line.

Automated farming of crops is either done with Thaumcraft golems or Forestry multifarms.

I believe biome changing is done with Witchery, but I got bored of Regrowth before I made it there.

Drum of the Wild works now and is pretty great