Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I'm dumb but I don't see how this confirms evil avacyn(although it does confirm zero copyediting)

"Betrayed by the hope it held so dear"

Edit: beaten word for word and now this is a terrible first post of the page

Content: uh they should reprint uktabi orangutan, the best magic card ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So is it going to be:

1. Humans are too strong and the black side of Avacyn's programming kicks in.

2. Avacyn saw Emrakul and proceeded to go insane.

3. Avacyn is missing again and this is a false doppelganger.

4. Other.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
"Thalia, Knight-Cathar Terror falls from the skies on blood-splattered wings, and nameless horrors lurk in the shadows." reads so badly that I feel like it's missing some punctuation and throws that part of the blurb into question for me.
Mostly because it feels like it would read better as:

"Grab an axe and defend the gate! Your despair is an extravagance we can ill afford" - Thalia, Knight-Cathar. Terror falls (rest of excerpt)

To be fair the rest of the blurb seems better punctuated.

Ramos posted:

So is it going to be:

I hope it's this one because Megaman Zero was a dope rear end game. I hope they use a magical sprite to revive Saint Traft as the legendary demon hunter.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

It looks like people still play the one-off GB and UW ones in modern. And formerly the UR one. Idk why, since I only ever used a substitute myself after trading them when they shot up to $30 each.

The price difference mtgfinance bullshit. I cracked a Expedition Mystic Gate and just sold it for 67 bucks on Ebay, and the guy still hasnt paid me. Star City and Channel Fireball were trying to sell em for 100 bucks, and nobody is trying to buy the ones listed at Buy it now on ebay for 75. There is pretty much no demand for the Filter Land expeditions at the price the card vendors are trying to sell em at

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Seems like there's pretty much no copies of Boom // Bust around. Because obviously everyone saw my sicknasty deck I'm building:

//Creatures

3 Noble Hierarch
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Wild Nacatl
2 Loxodon Smiter
3 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Tarmogoyf

//Spells

4 Boom // Bust
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
1 Path to Exile

//Enchantment

3 Blood Moon

//Land

4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Arid Mesa
1 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Forest
2 Razorverge Thicket
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
1 Ghost Quarter

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Angry Grimace posted:

Seems like there's pretty much no copies of Boom // Bust around. Because obviously everyone saw my sicknasty deck I'm building:

//Creatures

3 Noble Hierarch
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Wild Nacatl
2 Loxodon Smiter
3 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
4 Tarmogoyf

//Spells

4 Boom // Bust
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
1 Path to Exile

//Enchantment

3 Blood Moon

//Land

4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Arid Mesa
1 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Forest
2 Razorverge Thicket
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
1 Ghost Quarter

A guy on modern nexus has a similar list that uses lotus cobra and storm-breath dragon. Oath of Nissa too. I like the KotRs in yours.

edit: link http://modernnexus.com/seeing-snakes-grx-blood-moon-post-ogw/

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 20, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Stormbreath Dragon does the same thing as Goblin Dark-Dwellers except it doesn't have the opportunity to randomly cast Armageddon, so I'm curious about it as a choice, really. I'd probably even prefer Thundermaw Hellkite at that amount of mana, but in reality I'd just prefer more Goblin-Dark Dwellers.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 20, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Goblin Dark-Dwellers casting Bust out of your yard is the best thing, wow.

e: especially after turn 2 boom on your own fetch

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Goblin Dark-Dwellers casting Bust out of your yard is the best thing, wow.

e: especially after turn 2 boom on your own fetch

Turn 1: Land, Birds
Turn 2: Fetchland, cast Boom, targeting Urza's Tower and Fetch, sac the fetch, play a Hierarch.

:troll:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Wish I had the pieces for that because it looks incredibly fun

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Turn 1: Land, Birds
Turn 2: Fetchland, cast Boom, targeting Urza's Tower and Fetch, sac the fetch, play a Hierarch.

:troll:

I built this like 6 months ago with a pile of other land destruction (Molten Rain, Stone Rain, Rain of Tears, Cryoclasm in the board) but not having win conditions other than concession is pretty bad unfortunately.

Your deck seems much better and also more fun.

e: Boom//Bust is completely out of stock on SCG and TCGplayer, coincidence?

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 20, 2016

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That deck looks sweet but I'm not a fan of Wild Nacatl in a deck with Bust and Blood Moon. Have you tested cutting those for a fourth Blood Moon and three more mana dorks?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I have called fourteen game stores within an hour of Manchester and zero of them have this card in stock.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Land (24)
4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Corrupted Crossroads
3x Island
3x Mountain
4x Polluted Delta
3x Smoldering Marsh
3x Sunken Hollow
Creature (18)
4x Bane of Bala Ged
4x Herald of Kozilek
4x Reality Smasher
4x Thought-Knot Seer
2x Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
Instant (14)
4x Kozilek's Return
3x Negate
4x Reality Hemorrhage
3x Spell Snare
Sorcery (4)
4x Treasure Cruise

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Cool story bro. Go play with your own deck.

He's actually right, though? 4 Treasure Cruises is not reasonable to support for a deck like this that's just trying to cast giant beaters early given the set of Instants and fetches that you're playing.

Just going down the list:
-The mana base does not reasonably support casting 4 Reality Smashers and 4 Thought-Knot Seers. It needs Shivan Reefs and at least one other source of colorless mana. For 8 spells needing colorless mana, 12 is probably the bare minimum of sources you need to reasonably cast your colorless spells on time. If you're trying to play big Eldrazi, why not run any Mage Ring Networks? Not playing some number of Evolving Wilds with 1-2 Wastes if you feel like you need to cast colorless spells?
-Why is Bane of Bala Ged a 4-of? Do you ever want to see 2 of them in your opening hand? Assuming that Bane is the best big Eldrazi beater in that mana range you could cast, which I don't even feel is true, he still seems more suited as a 3-of at most.
-You're playing almost all colored sources with a bunch of instants and sorceries and have no early game creatures. Hangarback fits this deck fairly well, and you have no reason to not play at least a few Jaces.
-I don't understand the Ulamog. This deck has no ramp and no lands that produce more than 1 mana. There's 4 copies of a single card that reduces his cost by 1, which I'd guess is a 50/50 of even sticking to the turn that Ulamog could be cast, and even if they stick I'd guess in the average game you're not hitting the 8 lands or whatever you need to cast Ulamog when he'd matter in the first place.
-Kozilek's Return is a good card. It is not a good card for every matchup. 4 copies maindeck means you're going to have a lot of matchups where you just throw it away on turn 3-5 to do nothing at all just to try to get value out of it on turn 6 or whatever. That is not a good situation for the card.
-Do you have a strong reason for your split of Negate + Spell Shrivel? This doesn't seem like the kind of deck that wants 3 cmc counters in the first place, and if your goal is to defend yourself from key spells either Dispel or Stubborn Denial are better fits. Given that you're not getting any value from exiling, I'd start Clash of Wills before even considering Spell Shrivel if you even want counters like that, which I don't think you do.
-Why 4 Reality Hemorrhage? It's not really easier to cast for your deck than Draconic Roar, and hits less things. Even with the cost reduction you could just play Wild Slash. Have you considered all the cases where Draconic Roar kills something but Reality Hemorrhage doesn't and decided that they aren't compelling enough to be worth not being able to dome your opponent? Your deck has basically no burn spells and is not particularly aggressive; I don't see the need for reach. It doesn't really care about Hemorrhage being colorless either. Missing Mantis Rider and pumped Warden of the First Tree seems absolutely terrible. I don't understand why you wouldn't just run a standard Wild Slash/Draconic Roar split and are instead playing a much weaker burn spell.
-The point on TC is correct. Suppose your deck is doing everything you want it to in a game. Assume you hit all your land drops and have a Herald of Kozilek, by turn 6 you've cast maybe 2 spells and 3 creatures, the one on turn 6 being Bane of Bala Ged. Say you've fetched 3 times (slightly more than average in an 8 fetch deck). If your Bane dies immediately, which it likely does, this puts 6 cards in your graveyard. Reasonable enough for turn 7. But then can you really say you want to see the second TC in your opening hand? Running 4 copies just sets yourself up for drawing multiples. Your deck does not look like you can cast more than 1 TC in a game, and you don't even want to Delve away your Kozilek's Return.
-Hell, on the instants side, you're trying to cast 8 cards with colorless in their mana costs. There's no reason to even pretend that you don't support the colorless instants unless you want to cut Reality Smashers and Thought-Knot Seers, which are the most compelling cards in your deck in the first place. Both 1C instants are better than any instants you're playing right now, there's no reason to not play them and make sure your mana base can support them.
-I'm not confident this deck has a compelling plan to do anything in the first 3 turns against any of the major archetypes in Standard right now, a thing that McMagic pointed out immediately. It looks like the deck is extremely reliant on Thought-Knot Seer to have any counterplay against a lot of decks, and this deck can neither cast it consistently on turn 4 or get it out early. How do you fight a Gideon with another large creature on board? What's stopping a turn 3 Mantis Rider on the play from just killing you by itself? Is Negate and Reality Hemorrhage enough to stop Atarka Red from just running you over?

And like, these are all immediate questions I had about the deck from no playtesting and not really looking at what other options you could play/what else is in the format. It looks like a pile of cards you threw together because you thought they were good and just said "sure I'll play 4 copies of this" with no thought.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ramos posted:

So is it going to be:

4. Other.

4. Avacyn being cooped up with Grizzlbees for so long planted a small seed of corruption that would fester into hey this is sounding like new phyrexia

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is Garruk still running around on Innistrad foaming at the mouth and howling at the moon? Is he ever gonna come back and challenge Nissa to take back the championship belt for "Boring Marquee Green 'Walker"?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

4. Avacyn being cooped up with Grizzlbees for so long planted a small seed of corruption that would fester into hey this is sounding like new phyrexia

Festering Corruption is the laziest hackiest overused fantasy bullshit, so it will be this

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chamale posted:

That deck looks sweet but I'm not a fan of Wild Nacatl in a deck with Bust and Blood Moon. Have you tested cutting those for a fourth Blood Moon and three more mana dorks?

I haven't gotten to playtest it much and I don't know how the original version with Bloodbraid Elf would have played it since Nacatl was banned at the time. My thought was mostly just playing around your own moon, but you've got a great point about trying to play Nacatl in a deck with Armageddon.

Hmmm, how about :

Deck: Dark-Dweller Boom & Bust Zoo

//Main
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Lotus Cobra
3 Loxodon Smiter
3 Goblin Dark-Dwellers
4 Tarmogoyf

//Spells
4 Boom // Bust
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
1 Path to Exile

//Enchantment
3 Blood Moon

//Land
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Arid Mesa
1 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Forest
2 Razorverge Thicket
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
1 Ghost Quarter

//Sideboard
2 Kitchen Finks
2 Stony Silence
1 Thundermaw Hellkite
2 Ancient Grudge
1 Crumble to Dust
3 Anger of the Gods
1 Boros Charm
3 Huntmaster of the Fells

Display deck statistics

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 20, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL @ Modern becoming the land destruction format.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

When they ban fulminator mage I am out of the format forever.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

When they ban fulminator mage I am out of the format forever.

Heh. You got at least a year.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

As good a card as it is, I don't like even a single path path in here, fix their mana/give them a mana when you're blowing up lands putting out a moon isn't a great idea.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I can't imagine this being playable for more than a single set rotation if it makes top 8 anywhere at all. Sinkhole+Geddon in Modern would just be too much.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Is Garruk still running around on Innistrad foaming at the mouth and howling at the moon? Is he ever gonna come back and challenge Nissa to take back the championship belt for "Boring Marquee Green 'Walker"?

Nah, your OC and Jace sealed him away on Zendikar using the hedron that originally sealed away Ob Nixilis, releasing him instead.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Please god let this be the deck that just runs the tables now that Twin is gone.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Ramos posted:

So is it going to be:

4. Other.

There was an Official Magic Fiction a while back where Avacyn found out she was created by Sorin so it's probably more "gently caress you, vampire dad"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

There was an Official Magic Fiction a while back where Avacyn found out she was created by Sorin so it's probably more "gently caress you, vampire dad"

This would actually be the most embarrassing story beat so we found our answer.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

I can't imagine this being playable for more than a single set rotation if it makes top 8 anywhere at all. Sinkhole+Geddon in Modern would just be too much.

This existed and arguably was better when Bloodbraid Elf existed in the format.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

And then Nahiri shows up to have a motherly intervention, ultimately resulting in an article on Wizards telling us to appreciate our mums this upcoming Mother's Day.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

I wonder if "Vanguard" is supposed to be the Gatewatch or something else.

Pretty much confirms EVIL AVACYN though.

Avacyn started as an 8/8 for 8 then became an 5/4 for 5. Her next appearance will be a 2/0 for 2.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I know it's a one-of, but this card really doesn't line up with the rest of your plan. Maybe you want Oust?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ramos posted:

And then Nahiri shows up to have a motherly intervention, ultimately resulting in an article on Wizards telling us to appreciate our mums this upcoming Mother's Day.

I'm still going with "Nahiri got sick/was injured, Sorin vamped her, realized he was a loving moron and turned her into Avacyn in a panic, and is now realizing just how much of a moron he is now that he has to explain it to one of the only being in the multiverse that's both older and more powerful than he is."

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Nahiri being avacyn would be stupid.

Nahiri somehow being elesh norn, a much better powerful white character, would be loving awesome

They both have exactly the same amount of "evidence"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chamale posted:

I know it's a one-of, but this card really doesn't line up with the rest of your plan. Maybe you want Oust?

I was kind of thinking it would act as fixing if I really needed it or something or give my opponent a land that would just get destroyed by Bust. I think the general idea is that the little guys are there to put pressure on and then when you cast Bust you probably just win.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Avacyn started as an 8/8 for 8 then became an 5/4 for 5. Her next appearance will be a 2/0 for 2.

It's like one of those robot designed cards:

Avacyn, Forceress Queen of Savagery

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's like one of those robot designed cards:

Avacyn, Forceress Queen of Savagery

Creature -- Beast

You may cast this card.

Put a counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard.

2/0

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Festering Corruption is the laziest hackiest overused fantasy bullshit, so it will be this

If it's the "humans became too dominant so ol' avy had to cull the herd for the sake of balance" story I'll be happy as hell but it won't be.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, I want a set where the main villain is a white Angel just wrecking poo poo.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

GeneX posted:

Nahiri being avacyn would be stupid.

Nahiri somehow being elesh norn, a much better powerful white character, would be loving awesome

They both have exactly the same amount of "evidence"

I wasn't aware that Elesh Norn was a being of pure white mana, whose form and function were dictated by Sorin Markov??

Like, Magic Angels are weird poo poo - they're closer to constructs or elementals than actual living humanoids. It's totally within Sorin's wheelhouse to gently caress something like that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Niton posted:

I wasn't aware that Elesh Norn was a being of pure white mana, whose form and function were dictated by Sorin Markov??

I wasn't aware that Nahiri was a being of pure white mana, whose form and function were dictated by Sorin Markov??

• Locked thread