Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Blizzard games are too far up their own rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

so basically you have poo poo taste in games

Maybe it's just the new stuff?

Warcraft, d2, starcraft1 I enjoyed. I think overwatch looks good

e; hearthstone is also cool and also neat

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The original SC and its expansion were the best games to ever exist otoh

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Console games are better.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hearthstone is loving poo poo

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BabeLiker90 posted:

The original SC and its expansion were the best games to ever exist otoh

what a weird typo for gone home.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if hearthstone was a physical game and wasn't made by blizzard it would be considered on the level of exploiting kittens

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

CCKeane posted:

Console games are better.

Consoles are poo poo, except for Persona and Souls games.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PBS Newshour posted:

if hearthstone was a physical game and wasn't made by blizzard it would be considered on the level of exploiting kittens

It pretty explicitly doesn't work as a physical game, which is rather the point????

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CCKeane posted:

Have you played Jagged Alliance 2? Because if you like tactical games, it is pretty much mandatory.

No, will look into it.

Meinberg posted:

You should play Contradiction: Spot the Liar. It is good, and all about a murder investigation.

Been meaning to!

Kashuno posted:

LA Noire?

Significantly flawed, but owns.

Kashuno posted:

Cole was p bad. Also if you play it without it being on black and white mode you're a bad person

The true protagonist was Rusty. :colbert: Also correct wrt black and white.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Podima posted:

It pretty explicitly doesn't work as a physical game, which is rather the point????

the point is that if it was treated as other games in its genre are treated people would realize its poo poo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
her story is a murder mystery game and fun

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

the point is that if it was treated as other games in its genre are treated people would realize its poo poo

hearthstone si good

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hearthstone is very similar to exploding kittens, CAH, and Dead of Winter in being games that somehow trick people into thinking they're good games

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
hi friends. i see we're talking about video games again.

i logged into minecraft for the first time in a year or two to play with my friend and her eight year old kid. digging is fun.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 27, 2020

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Hi guys, I have decided that my favorite actor is officially Paul Giamatti.

That is all.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CapitalistPig posted:

Hi guys, I have decided that my favorite actor is officially Paul Giamatti.

That is all.

what a weird typo for keanu reeves

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if you want a game similar to CAH but its actually good and also free try 1000 blank index cards

if you don't have creative players you can spend money and there are about half dozen games that fill the same niche as CAH but are actually good games

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
what an even weirder typo for Dickbutt McFartpants

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

I agree with this but for different reasons that capps' "people are having fun wrong :smuggo:" reasons.

Blizzard is obsessed with their own lore to the point that it is used as a major drawing feature for a lot of their games.

Hearthstone and HotS, if they used all new original characters, would be immediately forgotten in a sea of other CCGs and MOBAs.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
No seriously guys, Paul Giamatti is the poo poo.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

PBS Newshour posted:

if you want a game similar to CAH but its actually good and also free try 1000 blank index cards

if you don't have creative players you can spend money and there are about half dozen games that fill the same niche as CAH but are actually good games

"how dare you have fun, don't you know you're not supposed to have fun when you play that game??? arrrghhhhhhhh!!!!!!"

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

hearthstone is very similar to exploding kittens, CAH, and Dead of Winter in being games that somehow trick people into thinking they're good games

Dead of Winter is actually good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am not saying you can't have fun with bad games, you can. but if you have fun with game it doesn't make it good

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Meinberg posted:

Dead of Winter is actually good.

just to be clear i am talking about the bad zombie game and not the war game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

EccoRaven posted:

"how dare you have fun, don't you know you're not supposed to have fun when you play that game??? arrrghhhhhhhh!!!!!!"

that isn't what i am saying at all

i am suggesting better alternatives than CAH because its a bad game, so I think if you play a good game with people you have had fun playing a bad game with you will have extra fun.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I had a blast with CAH the first time I played it with friends.

Every time after that has been joyless and calculating. Every card going for shock humor has completely killed my ability to laugh at the game, because it's all entirely predictable after the first go around. The huge number of wordy cards that are kind of funny in and of themselves but completely fail to fit into the prompts at all definitely don't help matters--there's tons of times where someone will just pitch their hand because it's full of cards they'll never be able to use.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

what a weird typo for gone home.

Ahahahahahaha hahahaha (takes deep breath) AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Important =/= good

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of Hats posted:

I had a blast with CAH the first time I played it with friends.

Every time after that has been joyless and calculating. Every card going for shock humor has completely killed my ability to laugh at the game, because it's all entirely predictable after the first go around. The huge number of wordy cards that are kind of funny in and of themselves but completely fail to fit into the prompts at all definitely don't help matters--there's tons of times where someone will just pitch their hand because it's full of cards they'll never be able to use.

CAH is so about being wacky, that when playing with 3 people and also using the dummy hand, the dummy hand wins a proportional amount of time.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I'm snowed in at home today. Gonna make chili for dinner tonight I think, warm soup-type things are always great on snowy days

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

PBS Newshour posted:

Man. I know where you are coming from with these, but I don't know that I agree with what you are putting together. The problem with exploding kittens is it is pure random, there is no appreciable skill involved. Hearthstone definitely isn't the best CCG on the block by any means, not even close. But it isn't a bad game and it does have a skill component.

And CAH is certainly not the best party game on the block, but it is a million times better than apples to apples which it seemingly ripped off and improved on, and it is the only "board" game I've gotten my step dad to play in years and he is SUPER excited about it, so it gets mad props for that from me.

But yes, I'd rather be playing Dixit or something.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I wouldn't think it would be but oddly enough Spyfall is working as a pretty great replacement for CAH for my friends who used to only ever want to play that.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

just to be clear i am talking about the bad zombie game and not the war game

same

I don't see what's so bad about it. Maybe the flaws will become more clear in multiple playthroughs.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

King Burgundy posted:

Man. I know where you are coming from with these, but I don't know that I agree with what you are putting together. The problem with exploding kittens is it is pure random, there is no appreciable skill involved. Hearthstone definitely isn't the best CCG on the block by any means, not even close. But it isn't a bad game and it does have a skill component.

And CAH is certainly not the best party game on the block, but it is a million times better than apples to apples which it seemingly ripped off and improved on, and it is the only "board" game I've gotten my step dad to play in years and he is SUPER excited about it, so it gets mad props for that from me.

Dixit is an incredibly good game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

King Burgundy posted:

The games remind me of each other because all 4 kinda fit this sort of "gateway games" niche where people think "oh wow this is something i never seen before" and it has existed for a long time and in better forms

Like I think Secert Hitler is probably going to end up being the same, because its just a slightly crappier resistance, but I don't think its going to be a "bad" game like these 4.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Maybe it's just the new stuff?

Warcraft, d2, starcraft1 I enjoyed. I think overwatch looks good

e; hearthstone is also cool and also neat

Nah the new stuff is great. Have you played D3 since they completely overhauled the game? Its very fun. Really though you come across as one of those people who hate on blizzard because Bli$$ard, as evidenced by you suggesting PoE is actually better than D3.

Asiina posted:

Hearthstone and HotS, if they used all new original characters, would be immediately forgotten in a sea of other CCGs and MOBAs.

Nah. Both games provide something that other games in the genre generally don't. Sure Blizzard brings in an automatic audience because people are familiar with their games and characters, but if the games weren't good they wouldn't be successful.

There really aren't very many successful CCGs out there, and Hearthstone definitely fills a different niche than MTG. Heroes of the Storm is similar. It is a more accessible game than Dota 2 or LoL, and the gameplay is very fun and exciting. If the exact same game was released by another publisher, and without Blizzard IP then I agree it probably would be less popular than it is, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is a well designed game that brings innovative ideas to what is otherwise a pretty standardized genere.

Ultimately it isn't the fact that the characters are not original that makes the games popular, but the fact that people trust Blizzard to make good fun games, so if your point was "If these were not Blizzard games...." I might say you are not completely wrong, but you attributing the games success to lore is actually wrong.

Look at Overwatch for example. All new IP but just as hyped as any other Blizzard game.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
the most important video game of this generation is qwop

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I mean really most of the time when I read rando blizzard hate it just feels like stupid Hipster talk not liking something because it is popular and successful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Capps, you should post that punching up article again. It made me agree with your position wrt CAH last time this discussion was had. Maybe others will see where you are coming from.