Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm not hoping for it, but I'll be laughing my rear end off if in 30 years we find out vaping gives you some kind of super-contagious pulmonary ultracancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It isn't "safe" - agreed. But it is 95% safer than cigarettes, and super effective as a cessation device- and we should be really careful before we just bash it because we don't know "enough." It can save lives, and therefore, we should support it - even if it is super douchey.

I'm not knocking it at all. I'd like to do it to cover down on my desire to do something ( I smoked after meals, when talking with friends, etc. I still feel that urge, like I'm missing something).

If there was a way to do it with just water I'd probably jump on it. But it seems you have to at least add glycerin which I'm not too comfortable with inhaling.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

spacetoaster posted:

I'm not knocking it at all. I'd like to do it to cover down on my desire to do something ( I smoked after meals, when talking with friends, etc. I still feel that urge, like I'm missing something).

If there was a way to do it with just water I'd probably jump on it. But it seems you have to at least add glycerin which I'm not too comfortable with inhaling.

So far there is no evidence that either vegetable glycerin or propylene glycol is unsafe to inhale. The diacetyl used in a lot of "premiere" juices is unsafe, but most homebrew or store juices don't use it.

The known dangers are inhaling vapor off of nichrome or nickel coils, juices with diacetyl and sub-ohm use on bad batteries (they can go boom)

That being said - you're quit, dude! Don't go back! Even if it's just the oral fixation, you've obtained the dream - don't get sucked back in!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Why did someone photoshop a gun into that guys pants?

something something open carry compensating for insecurities. :ssh:

that was the only edit to the original image

edit: alternatively,

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 19, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So far there is no evidence that either vegetable glycerin or propylene glycol is unsafe to inhale. The diacetyl used in a lot of "premiere" juices is unsafe, but most homebrew or store juices don't use it.

The known dangers are inhaling vapor off of nichrome or nickel coils, juices with diacetyl and sub-ohm use on bad batteries (they can go boom)
Is nickel still dangerous if you use temperature control? I was under the impression that its compound formation is highly temperature dependent.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

This is why people shouldn't look to Ron Swanson as a hero.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

"Body armor manufacturer AR500 Armor recently announced they would be collaborating with several industry leaders. . . to design ballistic armor based on the Mandalorian from the Star Wars universe. "

http://pulse.therpf.com/ar500-armor-builds-mandalorian-ballistic-armor

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Klaus88 posted:

I've always wondered how groups who are obsessed with racial purity explain places like Brazil, personally.

It's even more puzzling to look at "white pride" brazilian groups composed of people who'd get beat up by any european nazi for the color of their skins and the mere fact that they're goddamn latinos but who knows how these poo poo-for-brains gets their ideas.

Now for some more dystopia vibes, a short movie about an US observation balloon over Kabul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJsrDv_QX0s

ninja edit: also, Brazil is still hella racist, here's a prank/slash social experiment video where two actors, white and black, dress up identical and try to open their car's door with a wire. White guy spends 15 minutes doing it, only person who stops offers him help, black guy gets arrested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQZPrpfKOkQ

bagual fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 19, 2016

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nosfereefer posted:

The only way intake nicotine that isn't fundamentally immoral.

Snus still smells bad.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Goatman Sacks posted:

This is why people shouldn't look to Ron Swanson as a hero.

Ron Swanson though end the series as a employee of the National Parks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zohar posted:

People have used the word like that since Vollmar and Bernstein in the 1890s.

Well, uh... thats who i meant when I said Bernie :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://vine.co/v/iOYnbVVAgU0

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

ekuNNN posted:

Well, uh... thats who i meant when I said Bernie :colbert:

I think you also meant to post a picture!

Today some not-racist people gathered in notoriously not-racist Mississippi to protest in favor of keeping the notoriously not-racist CSA flag in the again not-racist Mississippi flag.

Pictured: I dunno but it sure isn't racism!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Hey goons not posting pictures. Post a picture.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

DrProsek posted:

I think you also meant to post a picture!

Today some not-racist people gathered in notoriously not-racist Mississippi to protest in favor of keeping the notoriously not-racist CSA flag in the again not-racist Mississippi flag.

Pictured: I dunno but it sure isn't racism!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Should be a shamrock.

http://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/03/shamrock_vs_four_leaf_clover.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCnGD6xv5ik

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LMAO that picture of Putin's wife was taken before whoever made that image was even born.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

If you're not a current smoker, I wouldn't even consider it - but I smoked for 12 years, and tried everything to quit to no avail. I tried vaping once, and never went back to cigarettes. I can breathe, taste and smell things, I can run up and down stairs, and I don't smell like an ashtray all the time.

It isn't "safe" - agreed. But it is 95% safer than cigarettes, and super effective as a cessation device- and we should be really careful before we just bash it because we don't know "enough." It can save lives, and therefore, we should support it - even if it is super douchey.

I can't agree with this more. Vaping literally saved my life, not just death from lung cancer but suicide. I tried cold turkey, various medications (champix was seriously good but not enough), and in the end my depression was just too much. I get why people look down on it, especially people who did quit cold turkey but not everyone has the ability to have that willpower.

Consequently, I vape in a manner that preserves the juice rather than make big arse clouds, and am thinking of ways to reduce the nocitine from 4 mg to 2 or even 1 mg.

IE I don't use one of these

klen dool fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 20, 2016

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Nosfereefer posted:

The only way intake nicotine that isn't fundamentally immoral.

I dipped for a long time. It's horrible and wonderful at the same time. David Foster Wallace captures the way I feel better than I can:

quote:

Let’s acknowledge first that this Q actually preceded the last one, and that you just inserted an artful little bridge-sentence in your question-text to suggest otherwise. I know you’re interested in tobacco and the covert gradual suicide that is habitual tobacco use. My own situation is not all that different from Tom Bissell’s, who had some article about chewing tobacco in Tumescent Male Monthly or something last year that I resonated with on many frequencies. I started smoking at twenty three after two years of dabbling in clove cigarettes (which were big in the early eighties). I liked cigarettes, very much, but one thing I did not like was how hard they were on the lungs and wind in terms of sports, stair-climbing, coitus, etc. Some roofer friends back home got me started on chew as a cigarette-substitute at I think age twenty eight. Chew doesn’t hurt your lungs (obviously), but it also has massive, massive amounts of nicotine, at least compared to Marlboro Lights. (This, too, is all very condensed and boiled down; sorry if it’s terse.) I have tried probably ten serious times to quit chewing tobacco in the last decade. I’ve never even made it a year. Besides all the well-documented psychic fallout, the hardest thing about quitting for me is that it makes me stupid. Really stupid. As in walking into rooms and forgetting why I’m there, drifting off in the middle of sentences, feeling coolness on my chin and discovering I’ve been drooling. Without chew, I have the attention span of a toddler. I giggle and sob inappropriately. And everything seems very, very far away. In essence it’s like being unpleasantly stoned all the time… and as far as I can tell it’s not a temporary withdrawal thing. I quit for eleven months once, and it was like that the whole time. On the other hand, chewing tobacco kills you—or at the very least it makes your teeth hurt and turn unpleasant colors and eventually fall out. Plus it’s disgusting, and stupid, and a vector of self-contempt. So, once again, I’ve quit. It’s now been a little over three months. At this moment I have in gum, a mint, and three Australian tea-tree toothpicks that a Wiccan friend swears by. One reason you and I are chatting in print rather than in real time is that it’s taken me twenty minutes just to formulate and press the appropriate keys for the preceding ¶. Actually speaking with me would be like visiting a demented person in a nursing home. Apparently I not only drift off in the middle of a sentence but sometimes begin to hum, tunelessly, without being aware of it. Also, FYI, my left eyelid has been twitching nonstop since August 18. It’s not pretty. But I’d prefer to live past fifty. This is my Tobacco Story

Also, pouches are for pussies.

E: political content

https://youtu.be/FiS6a1XE91M

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 20, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So, we have vapes, cigs, and snus here already.

Here's snuff, what else is missing from our Team Nicotine?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

kalstrams posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm the casual nicotine patch or gum user doing it for they like it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kalstrams posted:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

... meanwhile...

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Addict-hater!!

Refugee camp in Calais:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
The thing was circling the capital complex in Tallahassee yesterday during legislative session.

shiffty
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x85seLcwIAw

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

New Orleans decided to remove some confederate monuments. The contractor they hired is getting death threats and had his Lamborghini torched.

http://www.sunherald.com/news/article55430500.html

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

"I have a steam" - Martin Luther Steam Jr.

I knew I made this for a reason

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 20, 2016

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

"Say somethin' you fuckin' beet-eating drunken prick!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

*faaaaaaaaaaaart*

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lots of tobacco talk and missing nasal snuff.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Snowman Crossing posted:

*faaaaaaaaaaaart*

If I could smother one idea in western culture, it'd be the concept of the lone badass taking out all of the heavily armed bad guys with just a pistol. People have no concept of how hilariously outgunned someone with a pistol would be against someone carrying an assault rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If they were indoors upstairs against a single person with an assault rifle overly preoccupied with that person on the ground, they might get lucky.

Bonus points when it turns out the terrorist they just shot was an open carry nut who just shot someone for violating his right to stand his ground.

(In reality, they'd probably just end up shooting someone who was holding a shovel in an aggressively terroristic fashion.)

• Locked thread