Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I think the issue with Phasma is that they weren't expecting to shoot that scene with her taking down the shields. So in this movie she wouldn't have been around other than to chastise Finn for wasting time in the shuttle. But since she has that extra scene it's like just enough screen time where people are going to complain that she's underused.

She has more or less Boba Fett level of characterization, which didn't stop people from enshrining him as one of the all-time most popular Star Warsiors. They could have done more (or less! as you said), and I personally think that the move toward livelier dialogue makes her shiny blank slate more of a letdown in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

homullus posted:

The scene in ROTS where he tells Anakin he's the bad guy is comedy gold. When he confesses he knows the dark side, he lets his mouth hang open in half-pretend surprise at his own admission. It is excellent. He then at least has the sense to be a little nervous when Anakin fully realizes what he's saying. It's an excellent scene and is arguably the point where Anakin has just lost, even though his heel turn comes in the next time they meet.

But no, I don't think anybody else but Dooku knows Palpatine = Sidious. You can tell Dooku knows because he looks at Palpatine, shocked and a little pleading, right before he gets killed.

I think Darth Maul was also in on it. Not that Phantom Menace had anything to imply it, but in Clone Wars, Maul expresses sadness that the Clone Wars began without him.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

She has more or less Boba Fett level of characterization, which didn't stop people from enshrining him as one of the all-time most popular Star Warsiors. They could have done more (or less! as you said), and I personally think that the move toward livelier dialogue makes her shiny blank slate more of a letdown in the movie.

she gets dumped in the sarlac in the first movie instead of the last like bobba

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Elfgames posted:

she gets dumped in the sarlac in the first movie instead of the last like bobba

Unlike Boba, she is confirmed to be returning. Doesn't help her utilization in Episode VII, but I'm interested to see what they do with her in VIII and potentially IX.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Def could See her on a mission to get Finn. Perhaps even expelled from the new order.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

Def could See her on a mission to get Finn. Perhaps even expelled from the new order.

That's my guess. She either leaves out of shame or is forcibly kicked out, and she goes to hunt down the man that lost her her job.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Unlike Boba, she is confirmed to be returning. Doesn't help her utilization in Episode VII, but I'm interested to see what they do with her in VIII and potentially IX.

who care's if she's returning she gets like 2 lines and is dumpstered. she should have been the one to beat finn's rear end down when he tried to lightsaber people

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Phasma is actually, hands down, the best character in Force Awakens.

She has exactly the right amount of screentime to make a Greedo-level impression, which is something none of the other side characters are afforded. She doesn't do or say anything that's blatantly stupid, and the costume design is both memorable and literally reflective of her characterization - she is cold and impassive, but changes dramatically in relation to how Finn perceives her.

Phasma, in her indifference, simply obeys whoever is in power - and this gives us the dark subtext of the film, that the heroes only win by tapping into a dark side that they've rebranded into something self-righteous.

Finn wants to degrade and humiliate Phasma - but Phasma is just a mirror.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'M IN CHARGE NOW PHASMA, I'M IN CHARGE NOW

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AndyElusive posted:

Exactly! There's no other way to read the scene: Finn is directing this weird rage against his former self. He sends Phasma into the garbage chute where he used to work.

Finn: You're garbage, so I'm gonna treat you like garbage... in a disposal!

This is obviously closely related to Rey's plot, and the overall message that only bad people deserve to be lower-class. Phasma is demoted to janitor because she's a bad person, while Rey is promoted to Jedi because she's a good person. That is how the film defines 'the balance of the force': everyone in their place.

In A New Hope, on the other hand, all the heroes have to climb through the garbage disposal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AndyElusive posted:

Boyega's line delivery during that scene was hilarious.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
How long did Han and Leia and Chewie et all spend in cloud city?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

I haven't seen the movie in awhile but about 30 minutes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

teagone posted:

Boyega's line delivery during that scene was hilarious.

BB-8's flame thumbs up is still tops to me.

Boyega plays a giant 10-year old really well.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

euphronius posted:

I haven't seen the movie in awhile but about 30 minutes.

Luckily, you can see time passing on Han's wristwatch for reference.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

rear end Catchcum posted:

A few days at most. Seems like less than a week for sure.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
By all indications it was one day at most. They arrive at sunset, Lando betrays them the next day, then they escape at sunset.

But time doesn't really mean much in Star Wars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cnut the Great posted:

By all indications it was one day at most. They arrive at sunset, Lando betrays them the next day, then they escape at sunset.

But time doesn't really mean much in Star Wars.

There was enough time for Chewie to decide to go searching for 3P0, and then the torture stuff doesn't all necessarily need to be in one day.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Episode VIII delayed until December 2017 due to rewrites that up Finn, Rey, and Poe's parts.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Phasma is actually, hands down, the best character in Force Awakens.

She has exactly the right amount of screentime to make a Greedo-level impression, which is something none of the other side characters are afforded. She doesn't do or say anything that's blatantly stupid, and the costume design is both memorable and literally reflective of her characterization - she is cold and impassive, but changes dramatically in relation to how Finn perceives her.

Phasma, in her indifference, simply obeys whoever is in power - and this gives us the dark subtext of the film, that the heroes only win by tapping into a dark side that they've rebranded into something self-righteous.

Finn wants to degrade and humiliate Phasma - but Phasma is just a mirror.

The best character, with almost no characterization of her own.

A cynical part of me believes they had intended December all along, but wanted the wait to appear shorter, and intended to extend in order write the movies toward whichever characters were best-received.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The article you linked to doesn't cite rewrites as a reason. That would surprise me anyway. How long does it take just to rewrite a script?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good.

Push the stars forward they earned it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its probably going to be mostly Poe they are adding stuff for isn't it? I mean a few more bits for finn and rey here and there sure, but I'm betting they are upping poe's role a lot more.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

While I'd be happy to see more cool Finn/Poe/Rey stuff...this displeases me. I was really excited that Episode VIII would be coming out the day after the series' 40th anniversary.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kurzon posted:

The article you linked to doesn't cite rewrites as a reason. That would surprise me anyway. How long does it take just to rewrite a script?

Uh, yes it does?

And it takes a long time to rewrite a script. 6 months is pushing it for how major the changes are likely to be - Poe originally died in VII, so I'm guessing it's mostly shoehorning him into the story and rewriting around that. I don't envy Johnson's task, it'll likely break whatever worked about the previous version. A rewrite of this size isn't just a polishing, it's major storygroup decisions and multiple drafts and polish.

e: Oh, and Avatar 2 is currently set for a December 25, 2017 release. But I think everyone knows that'll get pushed back a few more times.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 20, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I didn't even realize it was going for a May release in the first place.

Also, I have to assume a holiday release was likely anyway, after the box office decimation they just laid. Why release amidst 2-3 super hero blockbusters when you can release against a family movie and some Oscar stuff and have January wide open to scoop up all the money.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I'd rather see them put more time into the movie to make it better, though I hope they aren't just adding fanservice. C'mon Rian Johnson, make a great movie!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
With the supposed reason of "increasing Finn/Rey/Poe's roles" being the cause of the delay...I'm really worried they were originally planning on leaning really hard on Luke and Leia to carry the rest of the trilogy. While I'm a huge EU apologist and really enjoyed a lot of their now-Legends ongoing adventures, one of the biggest weaknesses of the original post-RotJ storyline was that there was an overfocus on the Big Three and nobody else got to really take up the torch. I would have assumed that Rey, Poe, and Finn were going to be the New Big Three, and that the Sequel Trilogy would have primarily focused on their adventures and endeavours.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
This sucks, I wanted Luke and Leia to actually do things in the next two movies.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

More likely "We saw how much loving money we can make at Christmas, lets do it again!"

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
If they're increasing Rey, Finn, and Poe's roles... what the gently caress was the movie even about beforehand????

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
All Hux all the time, baby

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I assumed it was coming out in December anyway. I'm pretty sure Disney will have enough money to rename the month StarWarcember by 2020.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Empress Theonora posted:

If they're increasing Rey, Finn, and Poe's roles... what the gently caress was the movie even about beforehand????

Another space truck stop. This time, it's on a swamp planet.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It was to be primarily focused on Phasma, hands-down best character.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Empress Theonora posted:

Well, there's Benicio Del Toro's new character, as well as a new female lead that I read about in an article from before TFA even came out. It sounded to me like they were gonna be bringing in even more new characters in VIII.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serf posted:

Well, there's Benicio Del Toro's new character, as well as a new female lead that I read about in an article from before TFA even came out. It sounded to me like they were gonna be bringing in even more new characters in VIII.

Probably still will, and will also rewrite the next ones and write the spinoff films for whatever's well-received.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beeez posted:

This sucks, I wanted Luke and Leia to actually do things in the next two movies.

Oh I'm sure they will still be doing stuff; I just don't think they should be the primary focus.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Until Rian says that himself, it's all just speculation to me. It probably just needed a rewrite, in general, like it wasn't 100% what he wanted it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

homullus posted:

Probably still will, and will also rewrite the next ones and write the spinoff films for whatever's well-received.

The Evil Emperor Lucas has been deposed. Star Wars is now a democracy belonging to the fans.

• Locked thread