Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Bob's Burgers loving sucks rear end, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Anaranjado posted:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In their defense though, the TVIV forums before Bob's Burgers actually aired was full of posts of everyone who already hated the show. Probably didn't help that Sit Down, Shut Up and Allen Gregory sort of poisoned the Fox animated well for people for a long time.

AfroKen
Dec 3, 2015
Crash Canyon makes Allen Gregory look good. Not joking. If you aren't familiar with Crash Canyon, then keep it that way. And it's still probably not the worst show because Megababies exists. Don't google that one either, especially if you plan on eating at any point in the future. Both shows were aired by Teletoon, which has put out almost nothing but crap over the years...perhaps the one exception is Clone High, but other than that...man, gently caress Teletoon.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Young Freud posted:

I would like to see more of that hosed up mean streak from Jonah Hill. He could be like younger Maury Chaykin, James Gandolfini, or John Goodman, where he's cuddly one moment but occasionally let's his dark side out. Just sayin', I could see Hill playing someone like Madman Mundt from Barton Fink.

He's good in Wolf of Wall Street because his character is a mean, hateful poo poo head with a thin veneer of loveable, chubby oaf over the top. So yeah, he's good at playing it dark occasionally.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

JediTalentAgent posted:

In their defense though, the TVIV forums before Bob's Burgers actually aired was full of posts of everyone who already hated the show. Probably didn't help that Sit Down, Shut Up and Allen Gregory sort of poisoned the Fox animated well for people for a long time.

also the first handful of Bob's Burgers episodes are a little off-putting and I think that initial reaction to the show never wore off for some people. and wow, I completely forgot about Sit Down, Shut Up. I don't remember much about it other than maybe thinking the plotlines weren't awful but it was just painfully unfunny.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Remember when Family Guy was good?

Because I don't.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Anaranjado posted:

:wrong:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I hated Bob's Burgers at first. The hideous animation, the men doing women's voices. Yuck.

I am sure glad I am too lazy to change the channel after football and Simpsons (some newer episodes definitely belong in this thread.) Now I love me some Bob's Burgers. Now that Fargo S2 is over it's the best show on TV.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Just gonna throw on my new t-shirt. :smug:

edit: it only comes in womens, but I don't care, gently caress you!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I never liked Tom Goes to the Mayor or the Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! Portlandia is too cringe inducing for me to watch.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

groenings netflix show will be progressive

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

netally posted:

The Cosby Mysteries was REAL? I thought it was just a throwaway Simpsons gag.

Nope, it was real. Even had one of the guys who produced Columbo involved in it. And quite honestly, it would have worked if it was the mid-'70s and part of the rotation that included Columbo and McCloud. There's even a really good episode (that was twenty years ago, so don't hold me to it) that guest starred Arthur Dent from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as a murderer who is daring Cosby to prove that he was the murderer. Other than that the show is pretty much poo poo, but I will give it props that it could have been a bit more than it was.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I can get Wings for about half that price, and I seem to recall still finding that show sort of charming until Lowell left.

But I tried watching Married with Children a few years ago and just couldn't get back into it. However, I still have a fondness for the pair of Christmas episodes, so I think I might like those if I gave them another chance.

I do sort of want to go back and take a sample of each season, as the show ran 11 of them, to get a reading on how the kids evolved a bit with the times. The kids seemed generic as hell in the first season or so, but after the first year or so, when hair metal/hard rock was really big, they seemed to present Kelly as very much a girl from an MTV music video. I seem to think when the early 90s came on, Bud went through a Color Me Badd/NKOTB/Fresh Prince fashion sense, then eventually tried to settle into a rap persona. But it seems like the show might have missed the 90s grunge look for them.

The show sort of ended right before the revival of the vocal acts like Britney and Backstreet and was probably just about completely done filming when Spice Girls or even widespread at-home internet could be featured in plots.

This is probably because the show went on autopilot about halfway through its run and stopped even trying to offend as much as make Al Bundy into some bizarre everyman fighting against a world that he no longer tried to understand and relate to. In the beginning (ignoring the baffling and neutered first season) the whole thing worked because the family would actively scheme and cheat each other. It's hard to imagine the show's earlier and better years that would have Al be blown up in a car for a music video compared to the later seasons where they try to maintain the illusion of a family. The whole show was about being stuck together, and probably should have ended as soon as the kids could escape the house and/or Al and Peg divorced or killed each other.

Still, the best version of the show would have been Sam Kinison and Roseanne playing the roles, because it would be closer to the heart of the show than what we saw and what that eventually became.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I never liked Tom Goes to the Mayor or the Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!

Tim And Eric only work if you grew up in small town America around the '80s and watched a lot of UHF TV. That's the only way I can describe it. It's not a damning, but it's....well, there.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Both of those movies have ~85% positive reviews. They may not be your cup of tea but they were very successful movies economically and critically. Nobody is going to remember his commercial. Nobody at all. I like Call of Duty and I don't even know what you're talking about.

I'd argue that the Jump Street movies are the only reason he's still relevant. I haven't met anyone who saw them and didn't think they were hilarious.

I'm very glad critics like Jonah Hill. Because between Allen Gregory and the Call of Duty Jonah Hill Commercial, I really don't see the appeal. And whomever said that Hill comes off as creepy and someone who never got over being the fat kid, the commercial will not help negate that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Why are people ITT so fixated on a call of duty commercial, i don't get it

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Tim and Eric is usually pretty great to me when neither Tim or Eric is on screen.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
"Low Winter Sun" is potentially the worst show ever, however no one knows since no one ever watched it.

It was on after Breaking Bad. Eventually AMC replaced it with a round-table discussion show called "Talking Bad" where guests would talk about how awesome Breaking Bad was.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The worst show I've ever seen is Saved by the Bell:The New Class. It made the original look like The Wire. Somehow it lasted several years longer because they changed the cast members every couple years. Even being a pre teen I felt insulted at how terrible the writing was and how unfunny every joke was. It's so bad and irrelevant that the best I can do is find a few short clips on youtube.

With all the terrible channels on digital cable and satellite you'd think that one would buy the rights for a $100 to fill the air time because it's gotta have over 100 episodes. Oh yeah, they added screech after a couple seasons because he obviously had nothing to do after the college years got cancelled after half a season.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

I don't get it either, but my guess is it probably felt jarring to them or they were thinking "Thats a stand in for me goddamit"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
In the commercial, Jonah Hill is an obvious "gamer" stand-in, being a fat unlikeable slob and all, and this probably hurt some fatso's tender feelings.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

loquacius posted:

goons hate jonah hill because jeu are jealous

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

HungryMedusa posted:

I hated Bob's Burgers at first. The hideous animation, the men doing women's voices. Yuck.

I am sure glad I am too lazy to change the channel after football and Simpsons (some newer episodes definitely belong in this thread.) Now I love me some Bob's Burgers. Now that Fargo S2 is over it's the best show on TV.
Bob's Burgers recently took over one of the slots in Adult Swim's weeknight lineup previously held by The Cleveland Show so based on that alone it's practically a masterpiece

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Anaranjado posted:

How does it feel to be so loving wrong?

Worst show is The Middle and it's not close.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Moneyball posted:

Worst show is The Middle and it's not close.

I never watched that show but vaguely supported it because it starred the Scrubs janitor, sorry to hear :(

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Arian_Samurai posted:

"Low Winter Sun" is potentially the worst show ever, however no one knows since no one ever watched it.

It was on after Breaking Bad. Eventually AMC replaced it with a round-table discussion show called "Talking Bad" where guests would talk about how awesome Breaking Bad was.

Can I nominate Talking Dead? I don't understand the appeal of having the creators discuss the previously aired episode.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

loquacius posted:

I never watched that show but vaguely supported it because it starred the Scrubs janitor, sorry to hear :(

Yeah it's like Malcolm in the Middle without the things that made Malcolm in the Middle funny and worth watching

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

According to Jim.

It surpasses the '68 Democrat Convention as Chicago's greatest shame.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah it's like Malcolm in the Middle without the things that made Malcolm in the Middle funny and worth watching

It's just...

I mean, I'm exaggerating because obviously there have been hundreds of worse TV shows, but The Middle stands out as particularly awful.

It really is like Malcolm in the Middle, exaggerated situations, but not clever, mixed with The Wonder Years. A narrator to give it reflection and morals.

Malcolm in the Middle and The Wonder Years were both great, but combined not so much.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Can I nominate Talking Dead? I don't understand the appeal of having the creators discuss the previously aired episode.

"Wow. That was amazing. I really liked it when..."

it is asinine.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So, they air a show directly after an episode that is essentially the dvd extras for that episode padded to fill a time slot? FML

E: "Oh man, that Lucy sure had some 'splainin' to do this episode, am I right fellas?"

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 20, 2016

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more of it yet. Discussing and dissecting episodes online as soon as they air is now bigger than ever and I can see networks attempting to use shows like that to sway those discussions in their favor.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more of it yet. Discussing and dissecting episodes online as soon as they air is now bigger than ever and I can see networks attempting to use shows like that to sway those discussions in their favor.

The only way to stop this is to ruthlessly dissect and mock the discussion shows. This could get amazingly recursive before the networks admit defeat at having an episode followed by a discussion followed by a discussion of the discussion followed by a discussion of the discussion of the discussion.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

This is probably because the show went on autopilot about halfway through its run and stopped even trying to offend as much as make Al Bundy into some bizarre everyman fighting against a world that he no longer tried to understand and relate to. In the beginning (ignoring the baffling and neutered first season) the whole thing worked because the family would actively scheme and cheat each other. It's hard to imagine the show's earlier and better years that would have Al be blown up in a car for a music video compared to the later seasons where they try to maintain the illusion of a family. The whole show was about being stuck together, and probably should have ended as soon as the kids could escape the house and/or Al and Peg divorced or killed each other.

Still, the best version of the show would have been Sam Kinison and Roseanne playing the roles, because it would be closer to the heart of the show than what we saw and what that eventually became.

Remember when Married With Children wrote a young kid into the family.
Yeah, that lasted 5 episodes and sucked. They wrote him out in a good way, though.

http://marriedwithchildren.wikia.com/wiki/Seven

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I like the Middle, all of you people are terrible!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

OctoberBlues posted:

I like the Middle, all of you people are terrible!

I love it too. They must be confusing it with Modern Family which airs on the same night.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Cosby Show, The Jeffersons, A Different World, Bernie Mac, In Living Color, Martin, and My Wife and Kids

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Murphy Brownback posted:

He was still fat enough in 21 (and 22) Jump Street for "he's fat and slow" to still be a joke. I liked those more than anything else he ever did too and they were pretty well-received critically so I think he's doing just fine.

Anyway my pick for worst tv show ever, at least for me personally, has got to be Battlestar Galactica. I couldn't even stand having it on as background noise, let alone trying to pay attention to it. Stargate Universe tried to mimic it which almost made me hate stargate. They redeemed themselves a little in the second season but SGU is by far the worst thing to ever come out of the stargate franchise, and I'm including the Ark of Truth movie in that comparison.

You're right about Jump Street, but super super wrong about Battlestar :reject:

Hell, my girlfriend enjoys BSG, and she hates anything Sci Fi

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
There are bunch of reality shows about dwarves. One of them is pretty good because they live out on a farm like hobbits and that's cool. The rest are just short ugly people having ordinary people problems and I don't know why they are shows. Do something funny you fuckin short-rear end freaks

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

howsabout future weapons, hour long commercials for the military industrial complex presented by an unhinged ex seal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

ZombieParts posted:

There are bunch of reality shows about dwarves. One of them is pretty good because they live out on a farm like hobbits and that's cool. The rest are just short ugly people having ordinary people problems and I don't know why they are shows. Do something funny you fuckin short-rear end freaks

On the LA little people show they like to party, so they all get completely wasted on one glass of wine and it's pretty funny.

• Locked thread