Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

This this this. The South loving loved the Union and the federal government when they controlled all three branches and the Supreme Court was overturning emancipation laws in free states, federal troops were marching into Boston to arrest escaped slaves, and the US Army was conquering Mexican territory for them in order to expand their slave empire from sea to shining sea. It's only when the majority of the country elected a free soil president and the senate tipped in favor of free states after Southern militias failed to impose slavery on Kansas by force of arms did the South finally discover their principled opposition to a federal union with supremacy over state law and their sudden support for states' rights.

And then they promptly formed their own federal government that also barred secession, imposed slavery on the territories, gave even less respect to states' rights, and began an expansionistic war of conquest...but for some reason libertarians prefer this sort of federal government to the abolitionist-dominated US federal government...how mysterious.

Just so we are perfectly clear, article 13 of the articles of confederation declared:

quote:

Declares that the Articles are perpetual, and can only be altered by approval of Congress with ratification by all the state legislatures.

When secession came up as part of Texas V. White the court had this to say:

quote:

By [the Articles of Confederation], the Union was solemnly declared to "be perpetual." And when these Articles were found to be inadequate to the exigencies of the country, the Constitution was ordained "to form a more perfect Union." It is difficult to convey the idea of indissoluble unity more clearly than by these words. What can be indissoluble if a perpetual Union, made more perfect, is not?

The simple version is that you simply can't unilaterally decide to exit an arrangement, particularly a longstanding one that involves significant financial and legal issues on all sides. This is why Fort Sumter was an issue to begin with, it was a federal military base paid for with federal money on land that the state argued was now a foreign nation. To bring it back to my usual go to, the southern secession is like me deciding that I no longer want my condo to be part of the condo association. If everyone agreed I'm sure there is a legal way to do so, but if I say I want to and they say no it is going to be a clusterfuck because I have obligations and logistical issues. The southern states joined the perpetual union, and that came with rights and responsibilities. They can't just take their ball and go home whenever the gently caress they please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Caros posted:

The simple version is that you simply can't unilaterally decide to exit an arrangement, particularly a longstanding one that involves significant financial and legal issues on all sides. This is why Fort Sumter was an issue to begin with, it was a federal military base paid for with federal money on land that the state argued was now a foreign nation. To bring it back to my usual go to, the southern secession is like me deciding that I no longer want my condo to be part of the condo association. If everyone agreed I'm sure there is a legal way to do so, but if I say I want to and they say no it is going to be a clusterfuck because I have obligations and logistical issues. The southern states joined the perpetual union, and that came with rights and responsibilities. They can't just take their ball and go home whenever the gently caress they please.

"But their children never signed the constitution, so they never agreed and it's not fair, they have the right of self-government and their parents can't bind them and their plantations to a contract! They should be able to leave but also stay and keep all their lands and plantations and everything paid for by federal money"

*later*

"Well of course the original conquerershomesteaders and founders and landowners of the town can write easements into all their property sales that bar subsequent owners from doing business with or selling to blacks and gays in perpetuity, that's their right and anyone who doesn't like it can get out!"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Nessus posted:

The antebellum South also made numerous (failed) attempts to plant slave agriculture throughout the Gulf of Mexico, and would have probably demanded the seizure or purchase of Cuba (as a slave state, perhaps by force) if they hadn't left when they did.

Very libertarian!

Fun fact: Cuban elites staved off pressure from Spain to reform or abolish slavery by threatening to defect to the United States where their property would be protected rather than threatened by the oppression of the State.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 20, 2016

az
Dec 2, 2005

I imagine if I drove my horse through jrods apartment wall, hogtied him with a rope and dragged him off into the sunset as my new property he would be yelling, "this is okay!" the entire way to my libertarian slave camp.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

az posted:

I imagine if I drove my horse through jrods apartment wall, hogtied him with a rope and dragged him off into the sunset as my new property he would be yelling, "this is okay!" the entire way to my libertarian slave camp.

No, he would rightfully point out by the rules of THE NAP as deduced from first principles his skin passes the paper bag test and is in fact not your property. He would then be entitled to a determination regarding your ability to pass the paper bag test which if you fail he can and will, with the assistance of other libertarians in the vicinity, cart you off to your new permanent "home". Also he'll figure out where you lived and set a controlled fire to your family.

az
Dec 2, 2005

President Kucinich posted:

No, he would rightfully point out by the rules of THE NAP as deduced from first principles his skin passes the paper bag test and is in fact not your property. He would then be entitled to a determination regarding your ability to pass the paper bag test which if you fail he can and will, with the assistance of other libertarians in the vicinity, cart you off to your new permanent "home". Also he'll figure out where you lived and set a controlled fire to your family.

I was wondering previously if prop rights libertarians would still support the south if, in a silly hypothetical, the slave population of the confederacy had been magically white. I'm guessing no because insert megaphone sized dogwhistle here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Definitely yes, any country that protected capitalists' property right in human slaves would immediately be rated 100% free by the Cato Institute and the Heritage Foundation, and lewrockwell.com and mises.org would be bursting with articles celebrating the economic opportunity that self-interested poor but ambitious parents would have from selling themselves or their children into chattel slavery, debunking the abolitionists' myths of abuse and poor treatment as the hysterical shrieking of statists who put their own emotional self-righteousness above economic freedom (to sell themselves) for the poor, and battling progressives' assault on the freedom of contract.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

jrodefeld posted:

Take it up with Lysander Spooner. Are you calling into question Spooner's abolitionist credentials?

If I believe that there was a more ethical, more effective manner by which emancipation could have taken place without the bloodshed and horrific ramifications of the Civil War and I point this out, in what rational world does this make me "pro racial slavery"?

You've discredited yourself.

No. If you support a measure for the abolition of slavery that de facto serves its continuance, you discredit yourself.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good to know that jrode believes in life, liberty, and the right to beat your black slaves if they get too uppity.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
"I believe that non-violence and the non-aggression principle are the best option ever and must always be applied in every situation. Unless it stops somebody from purchasing another human being and then raping, beating, and abusing them." - jrod

az
Dec 2, 2005

I believe strongly in the right of libertarians of marginally greater wealth and fairer skin to own others of their tribe with lesser fortunes, possibly akin to a libertarian centipede, need more time to finish the drawings before I can submit them to the local klan leaders of industry organisation for review.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

jrodefeld posted:

Take it up with Lysander Spooner. Are you calling into question Spooner's abolitionist credentials?

Absolutely. Spooner was, charitably, a quack who had as many bad ideas as good, and was utterly ineffective at implementing either.

quote:

If I believe that there was a more ethical, more effective manner by which emancipation could have taken place without the bloodshed and horrific ramifications of the Civil War

You don't.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

jrodefeld posted:

This is elementary economics. Making something "free" creates a huge spike in demand, overuse of medical resources and unintended consequences.

"I took intro to Microeconomics I know what I'm talking about guys."

Goddamn, I hate you so much.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

jrodefeld posted:

Since we're trading insults over who actually lacks economic literacy, I have to also point out that many of you don't believe that having a primarily third party payer system drives up the cost of medical care higher than it would otherwise be in a free market. Similarly, I was met with great resistance when I noted that State subsidies and student loans for college have artificially inflated the cost of tuition.

If that is not economic illiteracy, I don't know what is.

Show your evidence, because deflection is bad but lying to win is worse.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I could theoretically see a consequentialist argument that abolition as the result of the Civil War could be a net negative in terms of human suffering if it could be shown that other methods were less bloody and no less hard on the actual slaves themselves. In practice, I don't think it's plausible. What's really striking is that it didn't take a civil war to abolish slavery in the North, or to outlaw the transatlantic slave trade. It's not as if abolitionism weren't "playing nice" before the South had its temper tantrum of sovereignty. The South had plenty of time and chances. Even if we accept the narrative of a "crusade by force," it was a last resort.

Looking around at the rest of the world, I don't know of any other examples of a large-scale civil war over the issue of slavery either. You could make a claim for Haiti, but I think that's a special case since emancipation there was the unique result of a slave revolt, which made the line of civil division a matter of race and class. One could make the case that "state's rights," as a part of the compromise of federalism, had a causal role in as much as if made civil war specifically the method by which the conflict over slavery played out in the US because it made questions like whether slavery would be allowed into local/regional decisions instead of allowing the enforcement of a uniform policy. Elsewhere, people expected a central power to make that decision and focused efforts resolve the conflict there. In Brazil, abolition came very late and while it didn't require a civil war, it so discredited the imperial government with the landholding elite that a coup to establish a republic shortly followed without a re-institution of slavery. Structurally, there must have been some limit to what peaceful approaches to abolition allowed within the context of US politics.

jrod, why is it that you think that Northern states abolished slavery without war and through their own systems for making law? What does this say about the possibilities for abolition in the South without bloodshed? Thinking this through, is "net suffering" actually your issue here, or is your consequentialism on this subject just a smokescreen for your deontological approach that the US Civil War broke too many ~freedom rules~ to be legitimate?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

SedanChair posted:

a rustling thicket of white supremacists

Requesting thread title change.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GunnerJ posted:

I could theoretically see a consequentialist argument that abolition as the result of the Civil War could be a net negative in terms of human suffering if it could be shown that other methods were less bloody and no less hard on the actual slaves themselves. In practice, I don't think it's plausible. What's really striking is that it didn't take a civil war to abolish slavery in the North, or to outlaw the transatlantic slave trade. It's not as if abolitionism weren't "playing nice" before the South had its temper tantrum of sovereignty. The South had plenty of time and chances. Even if we accept the narrative of a "crusade by force," it was a last resort.

Well the correct method would have been the US banning slavery by law or amendment in 1820 or whenever that constitutional provision about "can't do anything about slavery til X" ran out. Of course to the jrodes of the world, that would be STATIST TYRANNY and clearly just as bad as having a few million people die.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Agreedo.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

StandardVC10 posted:

"Care about property rights or I will fight you" still needs its time in the sun.

GunnerJ posted:

jrod, why is it that you think that Northern states abolished slavery without war and through their own systems for making law? What does this say about the possibilities for abolition in the South without bloodshed? Thinking this through, is "net suffering" actually your issue here, or is your consequentialism on this subject just a smokescreen for your deontological approach that the US Civil War broke too many ~freedom rules~ to be legitimate?

As always, Jrod doesn't give half a gently caress about consequentialism, except as a rhetorical tool. We don't care about his axioms and he knows it, so he tries to convince us that they're the best method to get good consequences. Once we press him on it hard enough, he always falls back on "actual results don't matter, the ends don't justify the means, deontology uber alles."

fishmech posted:

Well the correct method would have been the US banning slavery by law or amendment in 1820 or whenever that constitutional provision about "can't do anything about slavery til X" ran out. Of course to the jrodes of the world, that would be STATIST TYRANNY and clearly just as bad as having a few million people die.

The correct solution would be to free the slaves when we started making a huge ruckus about Liberty and Freedom in the 1770s. Paine tried to warn us, but we didn't listen.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
You can only argue the USA defending itself in the civil war was a net increase in human suffering compared to waiting for the independent CSA to ban it itself if you don't consider black people or abolitionists human. I understand why this poses problems for Libertarians.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nolanar posted:

As always, Jrod doesn't give half a gently caress about consequentialism, except as a rhetorical tool. We don't care about his axioms and he knows it, so he tries to convince us that they're the best method to get good consequences. Once we press him on it hard enough, he always falls back on "actual results don't matter, the ends don't justify the means, deontology uber alles."

Yep. My questions were "rhetorical" tools as well. :v:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Yep. My questions were "rhetorical" tools as well. :v:

Debate & Discussion: a Bunch of Rhetorical Tools

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nolanar posted:

The correct solution would be to free the slaves when we started making a huge ruckus about Liberty and Freedom in the 1770s. Paine tried to warn us, but we didn't listen.

In all honesty, that would probably have led to most of the colonies below the Mason-Dixon not signing on to fight against the British. Most of the states above wouldn't mind because they had very few slaves (but definitely not none, outside of Massachusetts).

az
Dec 2, 2005

What's the overlap between jroderians and sovcits, they're both constantly cranky with the government and believe in magic.

I lament that I never met any specimens like him irl thus far, only milquetoast "no my taxes" ones.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Who's freer: Qatar or the CSA?

az
Dec 2, 2005

Ograbme posted:

Trick question, there is only servitude. Back to hauling rocks with you.

The population makeup of Qatar is around 50% migrants going off memory, 4% of which are "officially" enslaved. However there's also the sponsorship and kafala systems in which the employer technically holds the rights and freedom of movement etc. in their hands, so it's up to you to decide. Slavery is bad and all slaveholders deserve the Django treatment.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ograbme posted:

:vince:

SedanChair posted:

a rustling thicket of white supremacists
Truly, this thread is the gift that keeps giving.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

fishmech posted:

In all honesty, that would probably have led to most of the colonies below the Mason-Dixon not signing on to fight against the British. Most of the states above wouldn't mind because they had very few slaves (but definitely not none, outside of Massachusetts).

Not disagreeing there. I just don't see any scenario where the slave states would have gone along with abolition nonviolently.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Non-Aggression Principle is the most ridiculous part of this as it expects people to just discard the dark parts of human nature, in a political/economic system based on rewarding the dark parts of human nature.

The system is based in greed and the removal of means to punish greed. People violate the NAP all the time already, and making it harder to hold them accountable will help?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Non-Aggression Principle is the most ridiculous part of this as it expects people to just discard the dark parts of human nature, in a political/economic system based on rewarding the dark parts of human nature.

The system is based in greed and the removal of means to punish greed. People violate the NAP all the time already, and making it harder to hold them accountable will help?

Not that Jrod hasn't already demonstrated this repeatedly, but NAP exists solely to entrench wealth and power where they already exist, enhance those structures that led to their concentration in the first place, and erect barriers against any attempts at resolving systemic inequality.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

As long as we're talking basic questions, I'll repeat the one I've asked a half dozen times since I started posting in these threads:

Humanity predates the state by a significant amount. If stateless society is superior to state society, how did the first states arise and displace primitive anarchy? And more importantly, what's to stop them from doing it again if AnCaps get their ideal society?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I have never really interpreted it in this way. It seems to be acknowledged that people will violate the NAP, and the point is that only such violations can justify the use of force in retaliation. In other words it's just a stripped down application of the same principle behind "your right to swing your arms ends where my nose begins," etc.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GunnerJ posted:

I have never really interpreted it in this way. It seems to be acknowledged that people will violate the NAP, and the point is that only such violations can justify the use of force in retaliation. In other words it's just a stripped down application of the same principle behind "your right to swing your arms ends where my nose begins," etc.

Then the only justice is vigilante justice, which is worse than what we already have.

That summarizes a lot of what Jrod proposes, though.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

It's a watered down version of the Harm Principle that lets industrialists dump waste everywhere. It's hilarious how much of their conclusions are a bad photocopy of Mill's Utilitarianism that they hate so much.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I'm not saying it's any good. Just that it's not like the ideology is predicated on everyone behaving (except when you ask why a doctor wouldn't price gouge given the chance and jrod answers, "Because of basic human decency!")

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I didn't see did jrod admit that he doesn't have any federal tax liability yet?

Because I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually have any skin in the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's funny how it'd be so easy to simply say that "Nope, Slavery is not compatible with libertarianism" since, after all, it's easy to argue that you can't just stop self-ownership and as such a person can never own another person but nope. Gotta be able to own not white people.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Dr Pepper posted:

It's funny how it'd be so easy to simply say that "Nope, Slavery is not compatible with libertarianism" since, after all, it's easy to argue that you can't just stop self-ownership

Pretty sure Jrod has actually repeatedly demonstrated that people can't stop owning themselves

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

RuanGacho posted:

I didn't see did jrod admit that he doesn't have any federal tax liability yet?

Because I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually have any skin in the game.
He never answered why "Just leave the US" isn't a valid option either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fade5 posted:

He never answered why "Just leave the US" isn't a valid option either.

He has, the answer is hypocrisy. Immigrating is expensive and difficult: I shouldn't have to give up my home and family and friends just because some gang in DC sent skull-cracking murderers down to start integrating schools and expecting me to pay for all the services I benefit from.

But then when secession comes up and someone asks what a gay person or a woman who needs an abortion is supposed to do in Ron Paul's Baptist Republic of Texas, it's :goonsay: "Vote with your feet and let competition decide which country is best"

• Locked thread