Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

totino boy posted:

the most important video game of this generation is Bad Rats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Meinberg posted:

same

I don't see what's so bad about it. Maybe the flaws will become more clear in multiple playthroughs.

it falls apart if you focus on the mechanics there. and if you are just there for the theme and to have an "experience generator" i think certain games work better at it than dead of winter.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
They should make a Bad Rats sequel called Rad Bats

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Grandicap posted:

Capps, you should post that punching up article again. It made me agree with your position wrt CAH last time this discussion was had. Maybe others will see where you are coming from.

i don't remember posting a punching up article?
was it this? http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-cards-against-humanity/
(i don't remember posting that either though)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't like Blizzard for never remaking Blackthorne for modern hardware/with better controls.

Most of the rest of it, I just don't care overmuch---I don't care about Warcraft and Starcraft because I'm poo poo at RTS, my APM is like 1. I don't care about The Lore of Warcraft because I haven't been following it since day one, so I dunno what I'm supposed to give a gently caress about. WOW is alright, but I'm bad at gaming socially, so I've done like one dungeon ever, and all the big plot fights are in the dungeons and the raids. Monthly fees are also rear end, so I haven't played in like three years. I got stuck on the second boss in Diablo 2, gave up, uninstalled.

The Lost Vikings is the poo poo, though.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
If you want to play a cool and good board game, I recommend Mother Lode, a pretty sweet game made by a fairly awesome dude, and that's fairly cheap. It's a bit of print and play, though, but I don't think that's too much against it.

Either that or Viticulture, idk

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Allen Wren posted:

I don't like Blizzard for never remaking Blackthorne for modern hardware/with better controls.

The Lost Vikings is the poo poo, though.

Blackthorne will be coming to a Heroes of the Storm Nexus near you though! Vikings already there!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i like the card game saboteur

i bet it could be a forum game.

someone else should do it though

but give me all the credit for having the good idea. i am an ideas man.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

JakeP posted:

Blackthorne will be coming to a Heroes of the Storm Nexus near you though! Vikings already there!

MOBAs are everything wrong with online competitive gaming and RTSes wrapped up into one poo poo sandwich. gently caress them.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
you nerds sure do hate video games

i thought nerds liked video games

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

an rts where all the resources required to build something are instantly consumed upon initiation of construction.. :cawg:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mostly agree with quins in that shut up and sit down article.

like like he says its a game that can work with your "cool friends" who share your sense of humor or what not, but at that point why not just play a better game you and your friends would enjoy?

i have played the game with a lot of different groups and i can tell you the game isn't really about humor. people play it because it does make them feel like they are pushing boundaries and being dangerous. but you know i believe that actually takes creativity, so you get these weird moments where someone plays a combination where you can tell they think its the most offensive thing and they are just proud with themselves but ultimately you just read it and sigh because its just boring.

CAH is just a game about image. Its a game that says look at me, I'm not PC in the most milquetoast way possible. its a game for people who want to feel like they are edgy and rebelling against all the sensitive people out there. but ultimately what is most offensive about CAH is that its just boring and what it pretends to be is nothing close to what it is.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

Nah the new stuff is great. Have you played D3 since they completely overhauled the game? Its very fun. Really though you come across as one of those people who hate on blizzard because Bli$$ard, as evidenced by you suggesting PoE is actually better than D3.

I haven't. D3 came out, I took off work for a week with a few friends and we beat it in a sitting on release night and thought it was mediocre at best. We then spent the rest of the week grinding to 60 and gearing up. I sold my poo poo on the RMAH and I haven't touched it since. I have heard that the changes to d3 are a ridiculously massive improvement.

e; did pvp ever happen?

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 20, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

totino boy posted:

nerds like hating things more

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Allen Wren posted:

MOBAs are everything wrong with online competitive gaming and RTSes wrapped up into one poo poo sandwich. gently caress them.

I thought they were dumb before I started playing them

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

totino boy posted:

Is not cool for a nerd to like something popular though. If its not an indy game you have to hand in your nerd card, or play it in your closet.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i thought nerds hate indie thing though

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

I haven't. D3 came out, I took off work for a week with a few friends and we beat it in a sitting on release night and thought it was mediocre at best. We then spent the rest of the week grinding to 60 and gearing up. I sold my poo poo on the RMAH and I haven't touched it since. I have heard that the changes to d3 are a ridiculously massive improvement.

e; did pvp ever happen?

It was pretty weak at launch, and yeah its a completey different and fun game now. They added a arena for pvp kind of but not really. Theres an NPC in the regular multiplayer that teleports you to the PVP arena if you talk to him, and then you can PVP with the other players in your game. I don't know if anyone actually does it, and for all I know they took that NPC out because it was stupid.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

totino boy posted:

i like the card game saboteur

i bet it could be a forum game.

someone else should do it though

but give me all the credit for having the good idea. i am an ideas man.

I have a copy of this game that sees a lot of use. It is fun and good.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

nerds love to hate

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The CAH-killer is Say Anything!

Dead of Winter rules if you take out the traitor. It's a great pure co-op game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Boss Monster is a cool and good card game

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think boss monster could be adapted to a pbp format and I might actually do that.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Little Mac posted:

The CAH-killer is Say Anything!

This looks cool, but in the group of people I play with it would be super obvious from handwriting who had written what answer. Seems similar to one of the games in the Jackbox party pack which is a lot of fun. That one is played with cellphones though so no handwriting tells.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

MOBAs are better than RTSs. Mostly cause I'm better at MOBAs.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Allen Wren posted:

This is correct but they are also fun.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

CAH is bearable/mildly funny for about 10 minutes, after that it becomes a physical embodiment of hell and torment and you can only wish for the sweet release of death.
Boss monster is good for one or at most two play throughs in a sitting, because it's rather broken mechanically at times and it wears quickly.

But you really shouldn't play games back to back that often anyway because they'll get tiresome. Some games you shouldn't even bother finishing/playing, like CAH.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

The Voting Game is a ton of fun among friends. You vote on things like "who would be a nazi" and "who has most recently had something up their butt".

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
games i own that are good and normal people would play: coup, spyfall, codenames, bang! and resistance avalon

games i own that are good an normal people won't play: x wings miniatures, tradgey looper

games i own that i am not really sure are good but i love anyway: shadowhunters

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I am super cool so any game I play is one a super cool person would play.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

PBS Newshour posted:

i don't remember posting a punching up article?
was it this? http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-cards-against-humanity/
(i don't remember posting that either though)

Maybe it wasn't you, but it was this article. In my mind it was you though capps, in my mind it is always you. That is all.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

PBS Newshour posted:

games i own that are good and normal people would play: coup, spyfall, codenames, bang! and resistance avalon

games i own that are good an normal people won't play: x wings miniatures, tradgey looper

games i own that i am not really sure are good but i love anyway: shadowhunters

I want to play Tragedy Looper, but it seems like a lot of work, and like it wouldn't work so well with just two players.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I love tragedy looper but my friends all think it's too hard

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I don't hate blizzard, but they aren't doing a very good job of making me interested in their games. starcraft 2 mp was okay and i was decent at it, but it didn't have much longterm draw, and their singleplayer is shiiiiithouse because they've lost the ability to write a decent plot.

their lol and tf2 clones don't interest me unless they actually do something substantially better, i'm not about to try and learn a new dotalike that nobody i know plays, so i'll stick to the current fun dotalike and play with buddies.

WoW used to be good and fun but has been dull since Karazhan.

BUT the good news is that there are plenty of good games around nowadays!
Xcom2! noice
Bloodborne! noice
Witcher 3! noice
Ultima 7! always noice

okay thats all but they are p good

I actually ran an irl mafia session for some friends over the summer holidays and they liked it but we only had 6 people which was a bit of a downer

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
its national cheese day.

lets talk about cheese.

i really like beechers, i can eat a wedge of that stuff in one go. awww yeah cut me off another slice unghghgg

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
the best cheeses are double/triple brie or jarlsberg

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 27, 2020

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I had fried cheese sticks today. They were good.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Cheese is amazing and I've never met a cheese I didn't like.

When I was first eating sorta solid foods again after surgery, one of the first things I had was some light mozzarella cheese.

I had only had sweet things for about 2 months at that point since pre-surgery I was on these shakes that were chocolate or vanilla for 4 weeks and then post surgery was all protein shakes and yogurt, so my tastebuds were all messed up. That super light cheese had such a pungent taste that it was like eating parmesan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

busb posted:

I don't hate blizzard, but they aren't doing a very good job of making me interested in their games. starcraft 2 mp was okay and i was decent at it, but it didn't have much longterm draw, and their singleplayer is shiiiiithouse because they've lost the ability to write a decent plot.

their lol and tf2 clones don't interest me unless they actually do something substantially better, i'm not about to try and learn a new dotalike that nobody i know plays, so i'll stick to the current fun dotalike and play with buddies.

WoW used to be good and fun but has been dull since Karazhan.

BUT the good news is that there are plenty of good games around nowadays!
Xcom2! noice
Bloodborne! noice
Witcher 3! noice
Ultima 7! always noice

okay thats all but they are p good

I actually ran an irl mafia session for some friends over the summer holidays and they liked it but we only had 6 people which was a bit of a downer

Don't forget Wolfenstein: The New Order and Undertale to round out the variety of really good modern games nicely. Maybe Life is Strange? But episode 5 is pretty divisive