Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

its probably going to be mostly Poe they are adding stuff for isn't it? I mean a few more bits for finn and rey here and there sure, but I'm betting they are upping poe's role a lot more.

Here's hoping. They better be writing a Poe Dameron "Top Gun" movie right now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

jivjov posted:

Oh I'm sure they will still be doing stuff; I just don't think they should be the primary focus.

They're the only two characters who could possibly eat into the new trio's screen time, so it seemed to me it's a rewrite to diminish Luke and Leia's importance even before you said anything.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Here's hoping. They better be writing a Poe Dameron "Top Gun" movie right now too.

They'd have to write a jizz cover of Danger Zone.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I wonder if jizz is Canon or Legends.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

LesterGroans posted:

All Hux all the time, baby

i would be fine with this

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Did someone say Jizz Cannon?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
6 more months that any of us could die without ever finding out what the episode 8 cliffhanger is gonna be.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Electromax posted:

6 more months that any of us could die without ever finding out what the episode 8 cliffhanger is gonna be.

I just hope I live to find out what Episode 9's cliffhanger is going to be.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think they should put everything to a vote from now on. I can't wait to see Justin Bieber, Donald Trump, and smosh in Episode IX.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

More likely "We saw how much loving money we can make at Christmas, lets do it again!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Star Wars: Episode XI: Return of the Revenge

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

^this should be a real thing.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The May date was probably a hedged bet if this one didn't open as well as hoped, since a Christmas Star Wars release was technically uncharted waters (and was really only happening because it was the earliest major date that the entire operation could converge in terms of both merchandising and the movie being ready to go). If the movie didn't perform to expectations, they already had the correct date lined up ahead of time and would carry on towards that.

Now that it's made all that money, there's no trepidation about Star Wars Christmases being a less than effective date. Johnson's not gonna say no to that sort of push - no writer or director is going to go "aw, six extra months? I totally don't want more time." poo poo, JJ wanted six more months, a May '16 release. Disney said no, since they probably already had a Marvel movie slotted for May (which is of course now Civil War) and also had promised retail Christmas '15 for new movie SW merch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't assume upping Rey, Finn, and Poe's part means anything about their plans for Luke and Leia. Its just as likely that they had planned to introduce two or three new characters in Episode VIII, and they're pumping the breaks on that because of how popular Rey, Finn, and Poe turned out to be.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Or it's just bullshit because it "sounds" like a reason. Obviously Rey and Finn were going to be the focus of the movie. They are the new leads, this is their trilogy. What the heck is wrong with you nerds. Be discerning; not every Hollywood article is going to be genuine.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Anyway, going to peep TFA in 35mm.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you really need to shut up forever

ha i am being funny, because i am referencing your red text, and also that is funny, because its true

comedy sure is great

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
On the same day that VIII gets moved to December, it is suggested that the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie will come out in May 2017.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

PBS Newshour posted:

you really need to shut up forever

ha i am being funny, because i am referencing your red text, and also that is funny, because its true

comedy sure is great

Look at my join date. Then look at yours.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Don't bring my year into your posting please

Gonz posted:

On the same day that VIII gets moved to December, it is suggested that the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie will come out in May 2017.

I'm so glad all our Walt Disney entertainments can by properly synched for the rest of our natural lives, who'd need anything else? *jerkoff motion*

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

:what:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

you registered on the typically shortest day of the year?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PBS Newshour posted:

you registered on the typically shortest day of the year?

He made a really bad decision on the internet 5 years before you did.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

:laffo:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

euphronius posted:

It's is part of the genre. Not every character is going to get fleshed out. It's a seriel.

But it also points to SMGs point that JJ Abrams is not as good as Lucas at getting economical and efficient characterization. Maz is a complete mess and since she is at the center of the film it is confusing.

How is Maz a mess? She's incredibly clear and understandable from every aspect of her character.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Or it's just bullshit because it "sounds" like a reason. Obviously Rey and Finn were going to be the focus of the movie. They are the new leads, this is their trilogy. What the heck is wrong with you nerds. Be discerning; not every Hollywood article is going to be genuine.

Hmm... between the two of you, I'm going to go with the guy from Variety. I'm sure your sources are almost as good as his, though.

Nobody ever said Rey and Finn weren't going to be the focus of the film. They likely have to reform the script around beefing up Poe's role. In the best case scenario, it feel like our new heroes are going to take a larger focus than before and anchor the film. In the worst case scenario, it means we sideline the villains and end up with a Marvel movie plot.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 20, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Episode 8 To Be Refined To Account For Opinion On Last Film. "Movie Doomed, Vision Compromised" Says Esteemed Reader

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Ok also go read all the new features the iPhone 7 will have.

Yes, it was delayed. It was going to be delayed. It's more because 1) it's a huge Hollywood film, there are delays and 2) marketing. It's not a sudden realization, "huh, maybe these clearly lead characters should be a big part of the next installment." Use you head.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fuckin 2013ers amirite :razz:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

How is Maz a mess? She's incredibly clear and understandable from every aspect of her character.

Someone should make a video where they go around and ask a bunch of their friends to try describing Maz's character. That's the only way this argument can be settled in a truly objective manner.

Not me, though, I don't have any friends.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I didn't see the movie you guys are talking about but remember the guy on Jabba's Barge who looked like Queequeg? I used to have a toy of him

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Cnut the Great posted:

Someone should make a video where they go around and ask a bunch of their friends to try describing Maz's character. That's the only way this argument can be settled in a truly objective manner.

She's a bartender and a sweet little old lady who gives advice to Rey and obviously has a mysticism about her.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I wouldn't assume upping Rey, Finn, and Poe's part means anything about their plans for Luke and Leia. Its just as likely that they had planned to introduce two or three new characters in Episode VIII, and they're pumping the breaks on that because of how popular Rey, Finn, and Poe turned out to be.

I hope you're right.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ok also go read all the new features the iPhone 7 will have.

Yes, it was delayed. It was going to be delayed. It's more because 1) it's a huge Hollywood film, there are delays and 2) marketing. It's not a sudden realization, "huh, maybe these clearly lead characters should be a big part of the next installment." Use you head.

Of course rear end Catchcum would want you to use the head.

man i am just hitting all these jokes out of the park.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

:smith:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'll be your friend, but you have to let me search you to make sure you don't take any of my action figures or their accessories bore you can leave my house.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

PBS Newshour posted:

Of course rear end Catchcum would want you to use the head.

man i am just hitting all these jokes out of the park.

?...does your rear end not catch cum?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

teagone posted:

Fuckin 2013ers amirite :razz:

When I joined (doesn't feel like almost 10 years...) I remember there were frequent references to 06ers and 07ers and people WOULD comment on my regdate being new. It was a thing that some folks cared about.

Now, I just see occasional posts about how SA is dead :sigh:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
SA had its chance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

She's a bartender and a sweet little old lady who gives advice to Rey and obviously has a mysticism about her.

I really like that while Maz is more than willing to be the mystical advice dispensary, she won't do your job for you. She tells Han to suck it up and go see Leia.

She also respects people's personal agency. When Finn says that all he wants to do is bunker down in the Outer Rim, she points him in the direction of some people that can help with that.

• Locked thread