Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

eschaton posted:

(eg since the early 1990s)

triggered so hard right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jerry Cotton posted:

level or edge triggered?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

so edgy

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
made a 3.3V to 5V level shifter today with some resistors and a pair of transistors

and it actually worked!

soon I will be able to try tilting at this 100 kbit windmill with an 84 MHz 32-bit part instead of a 16 MHz 8-bit part

goddamn 12/O/1 protocol, what were those fuckers at HP thinking?

eschaton fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 21, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do you have to worry about transistor switching speed? or is 200khz (i would guess, for 100kbit) just like totally bog slow as far as a transistor is concerned

i know that some types are faster than others but that's it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

everything I've seen says that I don't have to worry about it at that rate with a 2N2222

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

do you have to worry about transistor switching speed? or is 200khz (i would guess, for 100kbit) just like totally bog slow as far as a transistor is concerned

i know that some types are faster than others but that's it

just do s back of the envelope calculation with the gate capacitance and gate drive current to check. rise time less than 10% of the signal period should be plenty for nice clean edges

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
at 200 kHz even a saturated transistor should switch fine, biggest trap is using too high value pull-ups if you're doing RTL gates

fwiw LTSpice does a pretty good job simulating standard 2n3904/bc547s so if you really care just pop it in there and do an AC sweep or run some steps into it

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
at work currently i'm writing code for some on board realtime coprocessors on a ti soc that runs linux on its main core. all the joys of a super limited environment and also no way to directly debug it with a jtag, as far as i can tell. cool

also what should i do with the random dev boards i've taken from work because nobody wanted them? i have one of atmel's cortex m boards, a newer launchpad, and an fpga.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
im going to take my stupidly overpowered dev board and use it to host irc/nethack tmuxes because osx is determined to drop connections

one of these days

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

im going to take my stupidly overpowered dev board and use it to host irc/nethack tmuxes because osx is determined to drop connections

one of these days

world's most advanced operating system

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

so an Arduino Due actually has enough speed to bit-bang this protocol, and it appears something is happening

also my level shifters work almost perfectly

I might actually be able to make this thing work tonight!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

world's most advanced operating system

thats right its above silly legacy features

thats what a half dozen VMs with every vendor's/board's artisinal bespoke toolchain configured are for

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

eschaton posted:

I might actually be able to make this thing work tonight!

good luck!

are you using an LA? worth the time to make a parser or other visualization

do you have an existing system to capture 'good' traffic from and compare or is this from the datasheet

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

good luck!

are you using an LA? worth the time to make a parser or other visualization

thanks, it hasn't yet worked, though I think my input line wasn't actually physically connecting

I might have to crack open one of my myriad HP-HIL ID boxes (used for node locking ancient CAD software) and connect straight to the terminals or something like that just to reduce the variables in play

I've not really tried a logic analyzer seriously, due to the lack of a clock to use, maybe I should just run a PWM at 200 KHz or something?

quote:

do you have an existing system to capture 'good' traffic from and compare or is this from the datasheet

just the reference manual

I have no HP-9000/300, 400, or early 700 hardware (alas)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

eschaton posted:

I've not really tried a logic analyzer seriously, due to the lack of a clock to use, maybe I should just run a PWM at 200 KHz or something?

clock? why do you need a clock to use a LA?

take $50 hardware, sample at 2MHz or something. turn it into a .csv and analyze it in your scripting language of choice

turn sw problems into hw tests, turn hw problems into sw tests

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

huh neat device and open sores project. someone should update it to target one of those ~$200 zynq boards. 1GB of capture ram plus fpga fabric/IO which can handle >200Msa/s would make a much more powerful analyzer. also theres probably clever things you can do with the dualcore cortex-a9 and other zynq periphs (minimum, obvious idea: talk to the analyzer over GbE)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
that's the one I've been using for a few years now, there's probably better things available. its just so rare that I need something much better, but my mcu is at 120MHz so most peripheral bringup is "run it slow, get whatever POL/PHA and !CS handling it's expecting correct, speed up & verify in SW"

above 200Msa/s i suspect you're close to the USB2 limit, so it's time to get fancy with triggering or live with what can be stored without speaking to the PC during capture

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you need more just buy the saleae for $200 or w/e

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

clock? why do you need a clock to use a LA?

my HP 1660cs either wants an external clock—for each pod—or I have to make it run a clock upon detecting the falling edge of the start bit, and I wasn't able to get that to work

perhaps that was related to my connectivity issue though

now that I'm back and recovered from visiting family I may give this another go

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

also if anyone wants a cheap FPGA board with a Spartan 6 LX9, Maker Shed has the Mojo v3 on sale for about fifty bucks until sometime tonight (about 30% off)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
you want it to be in "Timing" mode, not State or SPA

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
so i've got my christmas idiot project dollars in, and I'm getting a bus pirate for funsies with learning some new chips I'm ordering. I'm also thinking about getting a cheapo LA, since I've never used one. Dangerous Prototypes makes the Logic Pirate, which works with SUMP, an open source logic analyzer software. however, I also have seen some stuff about the Salae Logic4, or even this cheap looking chinese thing: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/LA1016-Logic-Analyzer-p-2214.html

I currently only ever do stuff on 16 Mhz arduino things, and I think if I end up moving to faster micros I'll probably have the money at that point to pick up something better.

question is: what's the best choice for me at this point? I haven't had a (known) need for a logic analyzer yet, but it'd be nice to have one as I'm learning more, and I think it'd be nice to be able to just have a tool to visualize what I'm doing, etc. I don't need pro levels of channels or anything, but it'd be nice to have something reliable and I can't really find any reviews for them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

eschaton posted:

level or edge triggered?

oh sorry i meant to say fingered

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

wasn't someone here going to try clash for VHDL generation? bloody maybe?

I keep seeing their emails about updates to it and was hoping for a trip report

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

haven't touched it yet

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

so i've got my christmas idiot project dollars in, and I'm getting a bus pirate for funsies with learning some new chips I'm ordering. I'm also thinking about getting a cheapo LA, since I've never used one. Dangerous Prototypes makes the Logic Pirate, which works with SUMP, an open source logic analyzer software. however, I also have seen some stuff about the Salae Logic4, or even this cheap looking chinese thing: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/LA1016-Logic-Analyzer-p-2214.html

I currently only ever do stuff on 16 Mhz arduino things, and I think if I end up moving to faster micros I'll probably have the money at that point to pick up something better.

question is: what's the best choice for me at this point? I haven't had a (known) need for a logic analyzer yet, but it'd be nice to have one as I'm learning more, and I think it'd be nice to be able to just have a tool to visualize what I'm doing, etc. I don't need pro levels of channels or anything, but it'd be nice to have something reliable and I can't really find any reviews for them.

I haven't used those specifically but I will say that having an LA for me has been a life saver for SPI

i'm bad at programming and almost always mess it up somewhere and never realize whats going on until i put it on the LA

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I haven't had a (known) need for a logic analyzer yet, but it'd be nice to have one as I'm learning more, and I think it'd be nice to be able to just have a tool to visualize what I'm doing, etc. I don't need pro levels of channels or anything, but it'd be nice to have something reliable and I can't really find any reviews for them.
there's 3 situations where i use the LA:
1) chips aren't talking during bringup or debug and you need to verify edge timings, reset/poweron timings, etc. oscope either has too few channels or levels & edge quality have already been verified. i had a lovely SPI clock signal that was totally invisible to a LA, needed an oscope. eschaton's recent troubles are also here
2) chips are talking, but protocol-level things need to be analyzed. you're not interested in edges, you're interested in bytes or larger frames of data. this is where you really want a LA's sw package to interpret a million samples and dump out a csv showing the traffic that went back and forth
3) debugging critical SW issues by exposing hints at behavior over fast pin transitions. you can't call printf from an ISR, but you can flip a pin without impacting timing too badly

if you're using known components with arduino libraries, you'd probably only need to do 2. even so, having a LA that will let you capture traffic (e.g. to replay them from a PC) is a useful tool. if you're going to be getting new things and doing driver development, a LA can make debugging a lot easier. I find them really useful, but I used to debug circuits a lot more often than software so i move problems into that domain more frequently than I should

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

favorite use case for LAs is debugging parallel ports and fpgas in general. nothing like breaking out a 16 pin bus and just looking at everything at once. most serial poo poo I just do with a scope because four channels is plenty

movax
Aug 30, 2008

so i think i've got all the photodiode / other poo poo figured out 'enough' to know that poo poo is definitely possible, plus what all the signals do

now i'm thinking about the caching / memory scheme though for loading an ISO -- i can certainly run a fast enough clock to generate EFM/EFM+ encoded data on the fly, but like -- i can't put 16GB of RAM on this thing to hold an entire image in there. based on the motor and sled signals, i can translate those into a position, so i'd need some kind of predictive guesswork to figure out where the sled is slewing too and pre-load that chunk of data

how did console programmers usually do this poo poo from a sw pov? the toc is mastered onto the disc after authoring, did they write their own low-level cd-rom code?

most of the lag in seeking in an optical drive comes from physically moving the laser head and then re-focusing; i have no way of knowing the target destination so i have to simulate that, and then i have as long as it takes to re-focus before i'm slower than a real thing.

e: now i wonder what like daemon tools and virtual iso drives do -- just some file handles and the underlying os handles digging up the required data? at least with that scheme you know the exact command being sent to the drive and you can choose to intrepret it as you see fit

movax fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 2, 2016

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

movax posted:

how did console programmers usually do this poo poo from a sw pov? the toc is mastered onto the disc after authoring, did they write their own low-level cd-rom code?

i have a fuzzy memory about a CD or DVD console dev going into detail about structuring the data on disk, the assets would trivially fit, but to keep load times down they had to stripe entire levels together and duplicate a lot of things. spyro maybe?

what are you going to use for storage medium? USB mass storage stick? there might be some software that expects precise loading time but I'd wait until you actually hit a problem with it before optimizing

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'd love to use Ethernet and do everything via nfs/smb, but for initial development, a sd card or big SPI flash might be the best option. can get one of those games that's only a few hundred mb in size to use as a test case; if I design my interfaces properly, it can be pretty modular.

when the console drive slews say from the beginning of the disc to the middle, at the end of that sequence I'll know where I should be but then I'm screwed because I need to come up with the data pretty loving fast; on a real disc, the physical bits are waiting there of course.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
can you cache the first 100mb of each sector and get the network request back in time for the rest of it? idk, something like that. worst case record the access pattern and build up a sequence for each image

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

movax posted:

so i think i've got all the photodiode / other poo poo figured out 'enough' to know that poo poo is definitely possible, plus what all the signals do

now i'm thinking about the caching / memory scheme though for loading an ISO -- i can certainly run a fast enough clock to generate EFM/EFM+ encoded data on the fly, but like -- i can't put 16GB of RAM on this thing to hold an entire image in there. based on the motor and sled signals, i can translate those into a position, so i'd need some kind of predictive guesswork to figure out where the sled is slewing too and pre-load that chunk of data

called it, i knew this would be an interesting problem for you. you can trivially short circuit the tracking servo loop by just not simulating ever being offcenter from the track, but you have to close the coarse head positioning servo loop somehow

as i understand it, this loop uses data read from the head (sector #s in sector headers) as feedback, so yeah you're gonna have to guess what it wants, feed it some data, and keep reacting to its control outputs

what kind of signals control the main spindle motor and head positioner? pwm? if the drive's a pure clv drive you might be able to estimate how fast it wants the spindle motor to spin from the pwm duty cycle, and from that infer the head position

actually nm a clv drive should be using a servo loop to control linear velocity and if you never very your playback freq from the ideal clv rate the control loop wont even be changing the spindle motor speed

if the drive is cav or p-cav you have an entirely different class of problem: the raw bitrate the drive expects changes depending on head position

quote:

by "toc" do you mean some kind of custom data structure? because i wouldnt be surprised if most consoles use either iso9660 or a 'custom' but mostly off the shelf filesystem

quote:

most of the lag in seeking in an optical drive comes from physically moving the laser head and then re-focusing; i have no way of knowing the target destination so i have to simulate that, and then i have as long as it takes to re-focus before i'm slower than a real thing.

well i would be worried about making it work first and then see if you can improve performance

going back to the question of whether you can estimate target dest... forget what i said about back-inference from spindle speed, i seem to remember seeing worm gears in odd head positioner assemblies, which prob means its driven by a stepper. if so thats pretty great, it's much easier to try to track where the drive wants to be if it's running a stepper motor

quote:

e: now i wonder what like daemon tools and virtual iso drives do -- just some file handles and the underlying os handles digging up the required data? at least with that scheme you know the exact command being sent to the drive and you can choose to intrepret it as you see fit

in unix terms those are block device drivers which happen to service requests by making filesystem calls to read the blocks from a file, so its way simpler yeah. you are definitely hooking into the system at the place where this problem is hard.

if the console odd has a standard ata interface it might well be easier to replace the entire thing with your fpga because that would let you do something a bit closer to daemontools etc, but i expect you aren't so lucky

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

movax posted:

i can't put 16GB of RAM on this thing to hold an entire image in there

why not?

RAM is cheap and there are ready-made IP blocks for RAM control to include in your FPGA design

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ugh, the user guide is less than 50 pages. every sequence diagram starts from boot. connections never close.

i wish i lived in that reality

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

just realized the webserver my former coworker wrote that assembles resources by writing them to flash before lwip sends them out is not going to work so well with the small and cheap NOR flash we specced

changing the webserver to serve from dram should be nice and fast, at least

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 20, 2016

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
too much work, just get some FRAM instead of NOR flash

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

longview posted:

too much work, just get some FRAM instead of NOR flash

haha, list price for a 1Mbyte chip is like $50

Adbot