Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I dunno, the faces never bothered me much, I don't have much trouble just accepting as part of the ~immersive experience~ that most people in Skyrim are ugly :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
At least they're not Cyrodiilian potato people. I'm fine with it.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
So I'm dipping my foot into the vast pool that is modding, and I'm kind of experiencing trouble. To explain from as close to the start as possible.

I didn't intend to do much modding at first, being content with just finding minor fixes of things that needed fixes, like the Nightingale Bow and such, as well as a menu patch for PS3 controls because of self-explanatory reasons. Then I blame LizWiz into making me curious enough to try SPERG and I quite liked that. Got SkyUI, SKSE, and SPERG. It worked just fine. Then I decided to get the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch, for all the bug fixes.

And that's when my problem reared its head. SkyUI's menus isn't working anymore. Tried reinstalling it, wouldn't work. Tried replacing USLEEP with the seperate unofficial patches, still no luck. The game keeps telling me that the item menus have error code 5, while the map says it's got error code 6.

Error code 6 also says I'm using SkyUI 4.1, when I am fully certain I'm using SkyUI 5.1. It wasn't until this problem arose that I decided to get LOOT and to clean the master files following Gopher's tutorial closely.

So what should I do at this point?

Edit: I'M A loving IDIOT The problem was the PS3 interface mod. Everything works fine now.

Grashbar fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 19, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Grashbar posted:

So what should I do at this point?
SkyUI error codes explanations
Basically SkyUI is complaining because it's not finding the exact menu files it's expecting. As far as I know, the unofficial patches don't include menu files, so USLEEP wouldn't cause that. That PS3 menu patch thingy would be a more likely culprit.
If all the menus are working right despite SkyUI throwing up errors, you can try going into SkyUI's MCM and disable its version checking.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone experiencing a weird floaty jump every time they load a game? I know how to temporarily fix it via the console, and I know that it's caused (probably) by Amazing Race Tweaks (using an Orc). Has this happened to anyone else, and is there any way to permanently fix it without removing the mod? I'm in love with Berserker Rage too much :swoon:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I dunno, the faces never bothered me much, I don't have much trouble just accepting as part of the ~immersive experience~ that most people in Skyrim are ugly :shrug:

I dont have a problem with the "attractiveness" of the vanilla faces, but they are a bit rough around the edges in the "looking like real people" department.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
DynDOGoons, I need a refresher on how to do this poo poo. First I run Tes5edit with an output folder modifier, then run the TexGen script, close Tes5edit, take the output and put it in DynDOLOD's mod folder, refresh the mod in Mod Organizer, re-run Tes5edit with an output modifier, run the WORLDS script this time, close Tes5edit, grab the output crap, put it in/overwrite the DynDOLOD mod folder contents, then load it like regular mod, activating the esp and all?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Sounds right. I usually create a new MO mod for each output, but functionally it should be the same as overwriting. Also make sure you've grabbed the TES5LODgen tree billboards if you're using any tree mods.

Also everyone should try using DynDOLOD, it's so great. I'm running it on low on a pretty old PC and it has a lower hit than any other LOD mod I've tried and looks way better.

hampig fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 20, 2016

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yep, done. I can't wait to see if Skyrim runs stutter-free with an ENB of Kyo's and DynDOLOD and SMC's full compliment on my new 780 GTX. (it won't lol)

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
If you're going all out, have you given Enhanced Landscapes a try? I'm really liking the changes it makes, particularly around Morthal, Solitude, and Riften (it's the Realistic Aspen Trees trees). Made to work with DynDOLOD.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

hampig posted:

If you're going all out, have you given Enhanced Landscapes a try? I'm really liking the changes it makes, particularly around Morthal, Solitude, and Riften (it's the Realistic Aspen Trees trees). Made to work with DynDOLOD.

You... shouldn't have shown me this, now I feel compelled to put hours into making it work for me.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
If it's any consolation the instructions made it pretty quick for me to get it working without too much fuss - the only part that might get messy is if your DynDOLOD settings are too high for your rig you'll have to do them all again.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
My modding technique is to install every mod regardless of how often I'll interact with it, cull the list down to something approaching the perfect vision, and then not play it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Banana Man posted:

My modding technique is to install every mod regardless of how often I'll interact with it, cull the list down to something approaching the perfect vision, and then not play it.

Occasionally I load up Mod Organizer and update all my mods "so they're ready," and then don't play.

badguyfromthegame
Jan 23, 2014

I went and got Wheels of Lull since people have said good things about it, and part of the quest is broken because the machines you're supposed to fix in various location's are missing. I was really liking some of the crazier stuff you fight at the beginning. I haven't gone through and cleaned up the data files, so maybe that is it?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Hey not a modding question but as far as I'm aware this is the only live Skyrim thread.

I finally bought my own piece of land and started to build the poo poo out of it. After basically putting the save the world quest on hold for hours to decorating my house I assigned one of my followers to act as a guard/keeper of the home.

When I dismiss her she goes back to the house and I can tell her to buy supplies and to decorate it. Now I furnished the poo poo out of my place manually does paying her do the same thing only saving me the hassle of building everything myself? Next time should I just assign someone to my house and pay them from the get go to furnish it? Additionally do I have to have her there to prevent my house from being raided or whatever I read about?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Currently rebuilding my Skyrim install after six months-ish off, as I always do...

Is the 2015 rebuild of Warzones a game-busting buggy piece of poo poo like its predecessor, or did they learn to mod gooder this time around?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The 2015 version was supposedly released specifically to address those problems, which seem to mostly have been due to the summonable NPC used as a kludge for changing mod settings before MCMs.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've decided to blow away my old mod setup and rebuild based on STEP -- I may have gotten, er, overzealous with texture mods before, mostly because I misremembered how much video RAM I have -- and I had a question about the Audio Overhaul mod they suggest. It looks like it's not compatible with the newest version of Climates of Tamriel (which I quite like, and if it's a choice between the two, Climates will probably win), and the only thing I found online was someone saying "Yeah I made my own compatibility patch for the new Climates, it's easy" without in any way hinting at how they did so.

Am I going to be missing out on anything major if I skip the Audio Overhaul? Is it likely to break anything else in STEP if it's not there? Alternatively, how difficult would it be to build my own compatibility patch? (I'm pretty comfortable with mod tinkering, though I haven't done a great deal of editing with Skyrim in particular. I'm a quick study, though.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Hey not a modding question but as far as I'm aware this is the only live Skyrim thread.

I finally bought my own piece of land and started to build the poo poo out of it. After basically putting the save the world quest on hold for hours to decorating my house I assigned one of my followers to act as a guard/keeper of the home.

When I dismiss her she goes back to the house and I can tell her to buy supplies and to decorate it. Now I furnished the poo poo out of my place manually does paying her do the same thing only saving me the hassle of building everything myself? Next time should I just assign someone to my house and pay them from the get go to furnish it? Additionally do I have to have her there to prevent my house from being raided or whatever I read about?

Your house can get raided? Wow, ok, hasn't happened to me yet.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Your house can get raided? Wow, ok, never happened to me yet.

I swear I read something about bandits coming to kidnap your spouse and children or something

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

I swear I read something about bandits coming to kidnap your spouse and children or something

Sure enough -> http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Hearthfire (bottom of the 'Features' section)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

doctor 7 posted:

When I dismiss her she goes back to the house and I can tell her to buy supplies and to decorate it. Now I furnished the poo poo out of my place manually does paying her do the same thing only saving me the hassle of building everything myself?
Yes. But when you tell your steward to furnish a room it won't happen instantly, but gradually over a long period of in game time.
Also the steward will apply all furnishing options. So if you don't want certain options, you'll have to do it manually.

doctor 7 posted:

Additionally do I have to have her there to prevent my house from being raided or whatever I read about?
No. Those attacks will happen whenever the game queued one up and the player is close enough to the house.
Having a steward & housecarl at the house can be useful as their sandbox will have them outside the house often and they can help you deal with the attack.
These attacks are kinda dumb though, so I'd recommend just disabling them.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 20, 2016

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Phoneposting, so no link, but I prefer Xenius Character Enhancements. It looks better, but maintains the aesthetics of vanilla.

Yeah, XCE is the best pack for people who look less lumpy/weird without turning them into glossy tiny-nosed anime characters. It's also super simple to use since it's just mesh/teture replacements, so you just toss in the top of the MO load order right under USLEEP.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

docbeard posted:

Am I going to be missing out on anything major if I skip the Audio Overhaul? Is it likely to break anything else in STEP if it's not there? Alternatively, how difficult would it be to build my own compatibility patch? (I'm pretty comfortable with mod tinkering, though I haven't done a great deal of editing with Skyrim in particular. I'm a quick study, though.)

Compatibility patches are usually not difficult, they can just be time consuming depending on the mods. For a simple one, you can just fire up TES5edit and do it by hand (something like this).

If you don't have compatibility patches for mods, you usually won't 'break' anything, but you'll miss out on changes that one of the mods is trying to make.

The things I'd miss from AOS2 are fake reverb and indoor ambient sounds (rain sounds indoors).

e: Here is someone else's AOS2/COT5 compatibility patch

hampig fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 20, 2016

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Right now the Legendary Edition is :10bux: on the Humble Store.

If you're one of those guys who has yet to get the DLC get it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agents are GO! posted:

Phoneposting, so no link, but I prefer Xenius Character Enhancements. It looks better, but maintains the aesthetics of vanilla.

Last time I used XCE, I had lagspikes because they make the textures FAR BIGGER than is necessary. The eye textures are the big offender.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

4K eye textures for immersion or gently caress off

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

hampig posted:

Compatibility patches are usually not difficult, they can just be time consuming depending on the mods. For a simple one, you can just fire up TES5edit and do it by hand (something like this).

If you don't have compatibility patches for mods, you usually won't 'break' anything, but you'll miss out on changes that one of the mods is trying to make.

The things I'd miss from AOS2 are fake reverb and indoor ambient sounds (rain sounds indoors).

e: Here is someone else's AOS2/COT5 compatibility patch

Awesome, thank you very much!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Right now the Legendary Edition is :10bux: on the Humble Store.

If you're one of those guys who has yet to get the DLC get it.

Yeah, definitely going to check this out. I had Hearthfire on my 360, and I know it's the smallest of the dlc, but I loved it. Getting the rest would be great.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

doctor 7 posted:

4K eye textures for immersion or gently caress off

2048x2048 actually. I THINK they ended up finally halving the size after enough people complained, but they insisted it was not a problem.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Midnight Voyager posted:

Last time I used XCE, I had lagspikes because they make the textures FAR BIGGER than is necessary. The eye textures are the big offender.
This is why I still optimize my textures in TYOOL 2016.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
According to Mator the latest version of Mator Smash does Bashed patches better than Wrye Bash for Skyrim does (it handles the Oblivion tags that weren't implemented in the Skyrim version) without any special configuration needed.

I haven't tried it yet but the previous version was already an amazing tool.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

doctor 7 posted:

In all the time I spent on Skyrim I don't think I ever even once tried adopting children. Do they actually do anything?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
On what motivated him to get cracking on this:

quote:

I got angry because Arthmoor was stirring up trouble all over the subreddit about Smash and Wrye Bash and yada yada, so I just sat down and coded all night instead of sleeping.

When I do that, this is what happens.

What is this about?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Entropic posted:

In all the time I spent on Skyrim I don't think I ever even once tried adopting children. Do they actually do anything?

Uhhhhhhh just the PURE JOY ON YOUR DAUGHTER'S SWEET FACE when you give her a new doll.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Hey kids I hope you like sweet rolls and skulls 'cause guess what Daddy likes hoarding

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I gave my daughter some lovely crit chance + dagger and now she spends all her time practice shanking the gently caress out of a practice dummy.

I'm not even joking, every time I come into my home or wake up I just hear the dagger unsheathe. It's kind of loving creepy.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Threep posted:

According to Mator the latest version of Mator Smash does Bashed patches better than Wrye Bash for Skyrim does (it handles the Oblivion tags that weren't implemented in the Skyrim version) without any special configuration needed.

I haven't tried it yet but the previous version was already an amazing tool.

Hell, give us a trip report. I might try it with FO3/FNV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Entropic posted:

They contribute to IMMERSHUN if you want them, but they're basically useless as far as gameplay or quest completing goes. Pure fluff.

You can get a couple boosts: gift of charity (which you can get from beggars as well anyway) and parent's love. Kinda anecdotal in either case.

• Locked thread