Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Splatlas is a bad name for a robot. I hereby move that it be renamed to Angry Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

clan and IS gauss are identical except clan gauss is three tons lighter

gauss is a bit better now because the cooldown went from 5.5s to 5s. Still probably not great on single-gauss builds, but not bad on dual-gauss

Ah, okay. I thought there was something else. I guess I'll just be boring and put 3 large pulses in a Stormcrow.

In regards to the number of mechs, it's pretty crazy. I have way too many mechs and I have a hard time picking any that are good and fun to play.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jBrereton posted:

Goon Mechwarrior opinions:

2 Streak SRM-2s or 2 SRM-4s on a Jenner 7-D?

4 small pulse and 2srm4, do nothing but butt alphas. 300 xl is best but a 295 is a bit more versatile.

For yell bossing, a good thing to say is WHO'S NEXT to prompt people to call out targets.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 20, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Friction posted:

Polar Highlands is a good map and I have absolutely no shame.

Even got ERLL range mods.

I love this. Only I made it even worse. I have a pair of ER PPCs and an XL Engine. I can safely alpha once. I gotta get some of those mods though to completely cement my insanity.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Ice Fist posted:

I love this. Only I made it even worse. I have a pair of ER PPCs and an XL Engine. I can safely alpha once. I gotta get some of those mods though to completely cement my insanity.

Just be careful, okay :ohdear:

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

That sounds awful

It was.

e: I think the problem with polar highlands is that there are zero maps that directly punish people who bring longer range mechs, while there are now several that punish the loading short range. Now I imagine Paul thinks that this will inevitably get people to use bracket builds like he wants, but it is clear that time and time again when this happens the meta shifts to just having long range weapons thst can also be used short range. The solution imo is to add maps where long range poo poo is punished, so as to make the choice more one of preference and strategy than just "welp load up large lasers everyone". Alternatively, let people loving pick their mech after map selection, rather than before. I can't think of many, if any, games that have this choice order.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 20, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think lock people to their mech / class of mech but let them pick their prebuilt variant after the map is chosen. Exactly like choosing your class in CoD or whatever.

That way you're still basically in whatever you queued in but something vaguely map appropriate.

Bonus for PGI: people will actually have to buy extra modules to outfit their spare "classes" for drops.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I think lock people to their mech / class of mech but let them pick their prebuilt variant after the map is chosen. Exactly like choosing your class in CoD or whatever.

That way you're still basically in whatever you queued in but something vaguely map appropriate.

Bonus for PGI: people will actually have to buy extra modules to outfit their spare "classes" for drops.

This is a good point, they have enough matchmaker problems without adding that additional layer. I'd be alright with this system, although I suspect it is beyond their immediate technical capacities, given how long the load times on the me chlab are as is. Also this would worsen the "where the gently caress are my radar deps/xl 300s/whatever" problem, but at least it's a theoretically possible within what they've currently got setup (assuming Paul doesn't veto it on grounds that it interferes with his ~balance vision~)

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Coolwhoami posted:

e: I think the problem with polar highlands is that there are zero maps that directly punish people who bring longer range mechs, while there are now several that punish the loading short range. Now I imagine Paul thinks that this will inevitably get people to use bracket builds like he wants, but it is clear that time and time again when this happens the meta shifts to just having long range weapons thst can also be used short range. The solution imo is to add maps where long range poo poo is punished, so as to make the choice more one of preference and strategy than just "welp load up large lasers everyone". Alternatively, let people loving pick their mech after map selection, rather than before. I can't think of many, if any, games that have this choice order.

being able to select an alternative build for the mech you dropped in would be a better solution

the comp scene already employs different strategies and builds for each individual map, an added layer of depth that could easily be added to the game if they just allow for you to choose from a number of saved builds.

teepo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 20, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just bring lrms and you'll never have to worry about what map you get. :pgi:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Apparently if you want to gift someone something it's only the pack options limited on the website. You can't actually gift anything ala carte, which is weird!

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Bought a Black Hawk. I was prepared for the wide variety of gimmicky ways to arm it but was not prepared for the crisis of style. It wears so many colors so well!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sard posted:

Bought a Black Hawk. I was prepared for the wide variety of gimmicky ways to arm it but was not prepared for the crisis of style. It wears so many colors so well!

Jade Falcon Green, Marik Purple, Kurita Pure Red.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Friction posted:

Polar Highlands is a good map and I have absolutely no shame.

Even got ERLL range mods.

I just converted my 3F to a Rhino build from a LL boat this weekend :negative:

Almost every single round I've played in it this week has been on Polar. The exception was one game on HPG manifold though, that went much better. :getin:

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Sard posted:

BRO I KNOW

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Coolwhoami posted:

:pgi: is worried people will find their game fun again so they are determined to ruin it and drive away the population again.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Okay, forget dual AC/20s, I figure if you're going to accept that the WHM has a huge ct, and you might as well XL, why not do this:

WHM-6R

edit: holy poo poo, except for the lack of a dual-cockpit, that's almost an exact copy of the fanzine battletechnology Ventilator.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 21, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Polar Highlands could be a decent map if it were 40% of its current size, and I don't understand why they didn't release a quickplay version that is that size instead of the massive loving wasteland that the release map is, which would work better as a CW map.

:pgi:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
In keeping with the vernacular and history lessons... This never gets old*:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rh3KqxAv7J0

*to me.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Or to me. Loved the work from the Oldbirds.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
you reminded me of mechlab 1.0, great, now i'm having horrible flashbacks.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Bentai posted:

Or to me. Loved the work from the Oldbirds.

Good, here's the drunk history from a great slosh ops night:
https://soundcloud.com/lemniscate-2/the-history-of-battletech

Totally stolen from the clubhouse. Opsec!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Polar Highlands could be a decent map if it were 40% of its current size, and I don't understand why they didn't release a quickplay version that is that size instead of the massive loving wasteland that the release map is, which would work better as a CW map.

Yeah, that was one of the big problems with Alpine too.

Maybe they're just gearing us up for 24v24 battles! :suicide:

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Lemon Curdistan posted:

one of my favorite parts about bf2 was how each map had three separate versions depending on the player sizes: 16, 32 and 64 players. you'd never see the best maps in any size other than the largest but some of the worst maps, which often happened to usually be the largest in size, would instantly feel new when you dropped in the 32 player version on a 64 player server. a lot of the least popular maps in that game were actually brilliantly designed, it's just a lot of the focal parts of the map were either too hard to get to or lost focus by spreading players out by simply being too big.

an example being the kubra dam level, which was easily one of the worst maps unless it was played in the smaller level sizes. even the 16 player version was incredible and large enough to fit 64 players with how vertical it was. not many people knew that since the majority of server admins were unaware of this and just hosted karkland 24/7.

dice no longer offer different versions of their conquests maps but they do still retool the boundaries of those maps for the more stripped down game modes, specifically focusing in on the best parts of those maps. sometimes a single conquest map can even be the source for two smaller ones.

if pgi were creative, they'd take the current version of polar highlands and rework it into a new unique community warfare mode that plays more like battlefield, with points acting as dropship zones, rather than attack/defend crap and quickly retool the map for quick play by shrinking the boundaries by 30-40%. it would also really streamline the development of the two modes if all future maps were developed this way...

but :pgi:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

teepo posted:

one of my favorite parts about bf2 was how each map had three separate versions depending on the player sizes: 16, 32 and 64 players. you'd never see the best maps in any size other than the largest but some of the worst maps, which often happened to usually be the largest in size, would instantly feel new when you dropped in the 32 player version on a 64 player server. a lot of the least popular maps in that game were actually brilliantly designed, it's just a lot of the focal parts of the map were either too hard to get to or lost focus by spreading players out by simply being too big.

an example being the kubra dam level, which was easily one of the worst maps unless it was played in the smaller level sizes. even the 16 player version was incredible and large enough to fit 64 players with how vertical it was. not many people knew that since the majority of server admins were unaware of this and just hosted karkland 24/7.

dice no longer offer different versions of their conquests maps but they do still retool the boundaries of those maps for the more stripped down game modes, specifically focusing in on the best parts of those maps. sometimes a single conquest map can even be the source for two smaller ones.

if pgi were creative, they'd take the current version of polar highlands and rework it into a new unique community warfare mode that plays more like battlefield, with points acting as dropship zones, rather than attack/defend crap and quickly retool the map for quick play by shrinking the boundaries by 30-40%. it would also really streamline the development of the two modes if all future maps were developed this way...

just have a bunch of different versions of the map, each one taking a different 40% of the map. No new modelling, quicker time to fight, much more variety while keeping the basically cool serrated open country terrain.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Just spectated a warhammer R:

2 ERLL
4 SPL
2 AC
1 SSRM 2

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

teepo posted:

Proof of Concept:

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Love Stole the Day posted:

Proof of Concept:

pgi plz hire this guy

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

teepo posted:

pgi plz hire this guy

Seriously

edit-- unfortunately, though

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 21, 2016

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

teepo posted:

being able to select an alternative build for the mech you dropped in would be a better solution

the comp scene already employs different strategies and builds for each individual map, an added layer of depth that could easily be added to the game if they just allow for you to choose from a number of saved builds.

If we use the COD example previously given, a nice way to implement that would be to use the existing dropdeck system, where the restriction is not on tonnage but on weight class. That way, the matchmaker still has the ability to work, people will have the option to pick mechs after learning the map choice, while not requiring a complicated backend change that might be needed to preserve multiple mechbuilds for the same chassis simultaneously. Plus, I think way back in the day there was talk of a dropship mode, which would allowed for alternative forms of this system to be created with minimal changes.

e:

So they're looking for someone from the team that makes map for COD games, basically. Also, while I have no industry experience or insight, even 5 years seems too short a period to have worked on 3 different AAA titles, unless you were at a company which exclusively made multiplayer shooters with year relea.. Oh. Yep. They want a COD map designer.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 21, 2016

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Seriously

edit-- unfortunately, though

For added laughs, you'd also give Skoll a pretty good sized stroke if you got hired.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
PGI needs to also incorporate different weather effects. Something like a raging sandstorm which reduces visibility to 300-400 meters, with radar unable to lock on to anything beyond that range. Or keeping with the theme of brawling, an asteroid surface with high metal content and virtually no gravity - don't go too fast or you ain't stopping anytime soon, and forget trying to lock on to someone.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
i'm sure pgi will add weather once their telemetry shows the average specs can actually handle the increased load. pgi does keep a close eye on the average fps and it's why i imagine a lot of the new content is much higher quality than what were normally used to. were slowly getting there.

but also, weather is a touchy subject and you'd be surprised by the number of players who hate anything that obstructs their l33t skillz. but gently caress them, i loving love the fog in frozen city day and have been clamoring for more poo poo like that since the very beginning. give me a dust storm on tourmaline peak that fucks with the electronics on our mechs for the love of god pgi

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

teepo posted:

i'm sure pgi will add weather once their telemetry shows the average specs can actually handle the increased load. pgi does keep a close eye on the average fps and it's why i imagine a lot of the new content is much higher quality than what were normally used to. were slowly getting there.

but also, weather is a touchy subject and you'd be surprised by the number of players who hate anything that obstructs their l33t skillz. but gently caress them, i loving love the fog in frozen city day and have been clamoring for more poo poo like that since the very beginning. give me a dust storm on tourmaline peak that fucks with the electronics on our mechs for the love of god pgi

Frozen City still the best map.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Proof of Concept:

except the full map is a fun experience for 8v8 not a loving third of it

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

armchairyoda posted:

For added laughs, you'd also give Skoll a pretty good sized stroke if you got hired.

How so?

Just because me and others think he's a shitler doesn't mean I care where he works.

That's like saying I personally hate Niko Snow IRL for making nerds mad over robots

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
That polar map gets worse every time I play the drat thing. I even gave up my brawlers for a match after getting that map 4 times, and tried an ERLL stalker. It is the most boring poo poo, it has all the satisfaction of clicking on a desktop shortcut repeatedly.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Coolwhoami posted:

Plus, I think way back in the day there was talk of a dropship mode, which would allowed for alternative forms of this system to be created with minimal changes.
Drop ship mode as it was talked about then is how CW is handled now. I don't think we'll see that in the quick play queue.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

teepo posted:

I miss my bright green DX9 smoke bug, it made heatvision way less visually dull.

Is it too soon to say 3pv is actually really good? I love starting with it and scoping my sweet ride, but I think they nailed making it technically playable but not really useful at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Banano posted:

except the full map is a fun experience for 8v8 not a loving third of it

Agreed, but izov never played in those halcyon days. He knows not what he does.

• Locked thread