Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
No way Fox allows Avatar 2 to come out a week later. It probably won't even matter though since the drat thing will probably still be in pre-production by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

Someone should make a video where they go around and ask a bunch of their friends to try describing Maz's character. That's the only way this argument can be settled in a truly objective manner.

Not me, though, I don't have any friends.

we could just do it here, in this discussion forum. Same caveats as from the videos: no describing her profession or what she does in the movie. I'l honestly be surprised if people have difficulty with this.

She's humble, willing to help anyone who comes her way. She has a sense of humor, which helps keep her grounded and approachable by people from all walks of life. She prides herself on her ability to judge others, but is polite enough to only do so when it can help others. She is devoted to her faith, but has a very progressive/reformist approach of it, applying parables and morals from the Force to practical actions which support and aid her community. She has a very "weary but content" style to her, which is why others see her as grandmotherly, especially alongside her long-lived worldly experience. In one sentence: she's a street-smart priest who considers everyone a part of her parish, faithful but not traditional.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fucker posted:

f Star Wars was all I had access to as a child in terms of sci-fi I probably would become one of those crazy fanboys, but thankfully I had access to anime from very early on in my youth years that my mental balance is very stable.

Seriously, if you have watched Akira, you'd realize just how sophisticated anime is and it blows away anything Star Wars would have to offer.

A lot of people mention Ghost In The Shell, which has just enough of sexuality in the mix to draw in the western audience I suppose but I must say that Ghost In The Shell is not even in my top 10 anime, not even close, that's just how deep the world of anime is.

Some anime is so disturbingly mature like Fractale that I wish it would challenge the system and submit it as a Drama category in the Oscars just to bitchslap the snotty Academy.

It's not just the level of maturity and sophistication anime has, it's also quite original, entertaining, and visually fantastic. I would regard anime as the highest form of cinema art-form.

But hey, me preaching about anime won't do you any good, you gotta go out and see it for yourself just how much you are missing.

The recent one I would recommend to check out is Sword Art Online which is light and easy to get into anime for the first time yet appreciate it as much, but if you want the heavy stuff right off the line check out Guilty Crown in which the plot is so complex and twisted that you'll need extra oxygen pumped into your brain in order to comprehend everything, and if you want amazing visuals and a gripping drama that also has awesome mecha battles Aldnoah.Zero is the poo poo.

Seriously, if you know anime like I do, Star Wars looks like it's something for little kids.

Source your quotes

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Neurolimal posted:

we could just do it here, in this discussion forum. Same caveats as from the videos: no describing her profession or what she does in the movie. I'l honestly be surprised if people have difficulty with this.

She's humble, willing to help anyone who comes her way. She has a sense of humor, which helps keep her grounded and approachable by people from all walks of life. She prides herself on her ability to judge others, but is polite enough to only do so when it can help others. She is devoted to her faith, but has a very progressive/reformist approach of it, applying parables and morals from the Force to practical actions which support and aid her community. She has a very "weary but content" style to her, which is why others see her as grandmotherly, especially alongside her long-lived worldly experience. In one sentence: she's a street-smart priest who considers everyone a part of her parish, faithful but not traditional.

Why don't you just say "hip street preacher"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hey guys shHHHHHSHSHSHH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS9LPPOIEZM

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

Why don't you just say "hip street preacher"

I did, at the end. I elaborated because some might interpret that as "describing her profession"

Also if we're going to demand trilogy depth and nuance out of one film I'd appreciate it if people could describe Padme, going off only The Phantom Menace.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

My question to you is, what do these characteristics have to do with Star Wars? Like, why would a character with these attributes (I don't agree she is all those things, but my agreement isn't relevant) be the center of the movie? What do those qualities have to do with diametrically opposed views of the Force, a crumbling Republic, a reluctant student, a missing Luke, fathers and sons . . . anything that Star Wars is usually about? And why is that character CENTRAL?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Neurolimal posted:

I did, at the end. I elaborated because some might interpret that as "describing her profession"

Also if we're going to demand trilogy depth and nuance out of one film I'd appreciate it if people could describe Padme, going off only The Phantom Menace.

Natalie Portman

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

Someone who is fearless (leads the charge to retake her palace), curious and inquisitive (demands to be brought as part of the exploration party on Tatooine), and yet still guarded and slightly manipulative (she keeps up the facade with her double until basically the very last moment).

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Tough, daring, dutiful, forced to grow up too fast, her Queenly makeup also serves to mask much of her passion and emotion. There's probably more, but those are all true things about her character in that first movie that one comes to mind quickly. Not taking a side on the Maz stuff, but the idea that Padme has no characterization seems willfully obtuse.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

she's devoted and strong willed, she's adventurous to a fault, indeed demanding via proxy that she go into dangerous territory

she's kind and caring and sisterly towards multiple newcomers, and doesn't subscribe to the droid prejudice of those around her

she has a "naive but headstrong" style to her, which is why some see her as a child, but others see her as a capable ruler in search of long-lived wordly experience

in one sentence: she's a well meaning teenager who considers her people above herself

(i even used some of your words there!)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

homullus posted:

My question to you is, what do these characteristics have to do with Star Wars? Like, why would a character with these attributes (I don't agree she is all those things, but my agreement isn't relevant) be the center of the movie? What do those qualities have to do with diametrically opposed views of the Force, a crumbling Republic, a reluctant student, a missing Luke, fathers and sons . . . anything that Star Wars is usually about? And why is that character CENTRAL?

She represents the most ideal outcome of a force-faithful person; with Luke temporarily out of the picture, she holds the torch of progress from the elitist Emperor and the peaceful but distant Yoda. It's important that a movie where protagonists both literally and figuratively search for Luke eventually come across his moral compass. She is the compassionate evolution of the Force that resulted from Luke's radical reformation and development, and is contrasted heavily by Ren and (at the time) Rey. Her, her extremely lively but safe cantina, and paradise-like planet after the oppressive atmosphere of Jakku assure the viewer that things have improved from the effects of ROTJ even if strife and misery still exist in the galaxy.

How many of the Padme descriptions could easily be reduced down to "stoic and determined"?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Neurolimal posted:

Padme was very beautiful and kind, but sad.

Like that was her character, the movie wasn't trying to trick you.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I also disagree that she's a central character.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Neurolimal posted:

Padmé is a naïve and idealistic girl who's initially out of her depth when asked to lead during a crisis. However, she recognizes good advice when she sees it and is daring enough to take decisive action when pressed. She chafes at an old man's tendency to fly by the seat of his pants, but she accepts that he is worldlier than her and may have insight that she does not; in fact, she seems to pick up a thing or two from him, because by the end of the movie she commits to a crazy gambit and trusts that it will work out. Padmé is kind-hearted and displays curiosity about other cultures, but she's prudent enough to hide her true identity. Her compassionate nature is an asset for her because it helps her to overcome her prejudices and find allies in unlikely places. She hates watching other people suffer and detests obstructionists who stand in the way of justice.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

Padme was very beautiful and kind, but sad.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Natalie Portman

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rear end Catchcum posted:

I assume you mean Maz, in which case it depends how much she's in the subsequent films.

If she's not really in the other two though, it'd be one of the most focused on characters that only show up once (I guess there's also Jar Jar, but he was supposed to have a much larger role in AOTC).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Can you imagine how much better TFA would have been if Maz's character was replaced by a descendant of Nute Gunray

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 20, 2016

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

How many of the Padme descriptions could easily be reduced down to "stoic and determined"?

careful op you're venturing into "my beliefs are so dogmatic that 5+ posters won't make me even slightly concede my point" territory

character descriptions are political in that they're very easy for one side to make expansive and interesting and very easy for the other to make reductive and bad

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Can you even imagine how much better TFA would have been if Maz's character was replaced by a descendant of Nute Gunray

this but unironically

the descendant of a character who began in over his head and continued to just barely keep his head above water before eventually being murdered after foolishly believing peace was possible...handing off the very weapon that did the murdering in the hopes of using that weapon to "bring peace"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

she's devoted and strong willed, she's adventurous to a fault, indeed demanding via proxy that she go into dangerous territory

What makes her adventurous? That she fled from her planet after it was invaded? Do devoted people abandon their subjects at the first sign of conflict?

quote:

she's kind and caring and sisterly towards multiple newcomers, and doesn't subscribe to the droid prejudice of those around her

Who insisted that R2 be thanked?

quote:

in one sentence: she's a well meaning teenager who considers her people above herself

(i even used some of your words there!)

If she is so selfless, why does she have a fake act in her place? Is it selfless to have what is essentially a human shield?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You basically said "Maz is like wise and poo poo but she's cool about it" like five different ways bud

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

computer parts posted:

I assume you mean Maz, in which case it depends how much she's in the subsequent films.

If she's not really in the other two though, it'd be one of the most focused on characters that only show up once (I guess there's also Jar Jar, but he was supposed to have a much larger role in AOTC).

I did mean Maz. Do you mean because Jar was supposed to be a sith or something else?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

this but unironically

the descendant of a character who began in over his head and continued to just barely keep his head above water before eventually being murdered after foolishly believing peace was possible...handing off the very weapon that did the murdering in the hopes of using that weapon to "bring peace"

There's nothing ironic about my love for Nute Gunray.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Neurolimal posted:

What makes her adventurous? That she fled from her planet after it was invaded? Do devoted people abandon their subjects at the first sign of conflict?

Her literal mission was to seek help for her people through the Senate. That's why she left at all.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

How about her desire to explore tattooine so much that she forced Qui-Gon to take her along despite him saying it was dangerous

also she personally lead the assault on the theed castle

Neurolimal posted:

Who insisted that R2 be thanked?

she did

Neurolimal posted:

If she is so selfless, why does she have a fake act in her place? Is it selfless to have what is essentially a human shield?

it's likely that the fakes acted as fakes on their own accord and likely as part of a security detail she had no say in

the president, for instance, can't just decide to not have the secret service follow him around

next?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I did mean Maz. Do you mean because Jar was supposed to be a sith or something else?

Nah, he was supposed to be more integrated with the story than just giving Palpatine executive powers but they shied away from it for some reason. I don't remember if the plan was ever laid out.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

How about her desire to explore tattooine so much that she forced Qui-Gon to take her along despite him saying it was dangerous

also she personally lead the assault on the theed castle

So she risked the sovereignty of her people to watch her security detail murder droids (and maybe kill some herself)? This is selfless?

quote:

she did

This was a genuine question, thanks for answering.

quote:

it's likely that the fakes acted as fakes on their own accord and likely as part of a security detail she had no say in

the president, for instance, can't just decide to not have the secret service follow him around

If the president is hundreds of miles away from America, with America under siege, and bodyguards better than her assigned security detail, she absolutely can reveal herself and protect some Naboobian peasant girl from death.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Padme flouts teenage girl conventions by inexplicably being attracted to the 9-year old dweeb who makes robots, when Ewan MacGregor is three steps away preparing for sword combat. At that age, girls are looking forward and not back.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Electromax posted:

Padme flouts teenage girl conventions by inexplicably being attracted to the 9-year old dweeb who makes robots, when Ewan MacGregor is three steps away preparing for sword combat. At that age, girls are looking forward and not back.

Padme: Stoic Cradle Robber

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Neurolimal posted:

So she risked the sovereignty of her people to watch her security detail murder droids (and maybe kill some herself)? This is selfless?

This was a genuine question, thanks for answering.

If the president is hundreds of miles away from America, with America under siege, and bodyguards better than her assigned security detail, she absolutely can reveal herself and protect some Naboobian peasant girl from death.

Are you Nute Gunray

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

computer parts posted:

Nah, he was supposed to be more integrated with the story than just giving Palpatine executive powers but they shied away from it for some reason. I don't remember if the plan was ever laid out.

Interesting. Thank you.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Interesting. Thank you.

It's pretty interesting; two of the changes to AOTC that were made based on TPM reception resulted in a weaker overall film. Jar Jar and his overall role as the viewer insert ended up being diminished, and Anakin got casted as an adult with preteen dialogue and actions. Resulting in "everyones a stupid idiot who can't finger Palpatine" and "coddled mass murderer Adult Anakin".

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Where is it stated these changes were done as a result of fan reaction? I'm not trying to be argumentative; it just seems weird that George comes off as this no vision comprising guy, especially in regards to the prequels, but then would change major things in his movies, which, according to him, had been planned for years and years, due to fan reaction.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I do struggle to imagine how Jar Jar could've featured in either of the main plot threads of AOTC.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think jar jar worked well in AotC. He was a character from the last movie who is still important but not part of the story. Maybe like grand Moff tarkin in ANH. Yeah like he's important, but it's almost like he's more of the setting than a character. They use him to show certain perspectives. He is sad when obi wan and anakin bitch at each other in the beginning, and he is hopeful when he makes the announcement about palpatine. I dooooont remember him in ROTS. Which is significant because now the perspectives that he represented are no longer there, or important to the characters. Not that anyone seemed t care about jar jar in AOTC either.

Dude moff is the funniest title, where the hell did they come up with it?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Cnut knows more than I do about the behind the scenes stuff, but from what I know, when Lucas says he's had plans for years, he doesn't mean he's had the entire plot beat-by-beat in his head for years, and all he had to do when it came time to write the script was type out what he had been thinking and add some dialogue. He means he's had the broad strokes, as well as some of the finer details, in mind for years. So when you go back to those early drafts of the original Star Wars, you see a lot of stuff that appears in later movies. Luke's father being a cyborg who sacrifices himself, a Sith that gets cut in half, the idea that the Skywalkers have some kind of special significance in the Force(though the specifics vary depending on the draft), a Sith that turns to the good side and saves the day, hairy, primitive creatures contributing to the fall of the Death Star, Vader throwing pieces of machinery and debris at one of the good guys during a lightsaber duel, Luke having a sibling who has been captured and held in the Death Star, a city in the clouds, Luke and Leia being related, the fall of the Republic being facilitated by corruption, prejudice, and the machinations of various trade guilds, a shriveled, ancient Jedi Master who is reawakened by Luke's arrival. That's probably not even the full list, but I listed a bunch of examples to demonstrate what I mean. All of those things appear in various drafts of the very first Star Wars movie, but pretty much none of them are exactly as they were later finalized in the finished movies. So while he had thought of many of the themes, characters, set pieces, visuals, concepts, etc. a long time ago, it doesn't mean they were fully formed and he had nothing that he came up with while actually writing the movies.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

The word Moff originates from the word Muff which is slang for a very hairy bushy vagina

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Where is it stated these changes were done as a result of fan reaction? I'm not trying to be argumentative; it just seems weird that George comes off as this no vision comprising guy, especially in regards to the prequels, but then would change major things in his movies, which, according to him, had been planned for years and years, due to fan reaction.

As far as I know, there's no actual evidence that he made any major changes to Jar Jar's role in AOTC and ROTS. He probably would have had a diminished role no matter what.

Also, Jar Jar wasn't a part of the stuff that had been planned for years and years, and Lucas has never claimed he was. He's said all along that he had a basic story in mind for a long time, which was essentially: "Young boy becomes separated from his mother, develops attachment issues, projects mother issues onto wife, and turns to the dark side as a result."

He's been saying stuff like this about the prequel trilogy since 1983:

George Lucas posted:

"Fairy tales are about how people learn about good and evil, about how to conduct themselves in society. Darth Vader is the bad father; Ben Kenobi is the good father. The good and bad mothers are still to come."

He never claimed that he had, like, three full scripts written and ready to be filmed. But he'd obviously decided a long time before he started writing the screenplay for Episode I that Darth Vader was going to turn to the dark side because of his mother issues, and he stuck to that plan no matter what anyone else said. That was the core of the story that never changed.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'd guess something along the lines of "major officer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

She's central as in "in the middle part," one of the movie's hinges. Does "pivotal" sound better for you?

• Locked thread