Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Icon Of Sin posted:

tbh this thread might not exist if they didn't do this

thb the military wouldn't exist if they didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Which came first, the military or stupidity?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That's a 'chicken or the egg' question, right there.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Memento posted:

Just read the whole thread - a hell of a ride. Give those shitheads what they deserve McNally.

I was in the Australian Army reserve, 5/6 RVR during the late 90s and early 2000s. Dumbest thing I ever took part in was a parachute jump into what had been a dry salt lake, before the drought broke and turned it into a foot of incredibly salty water over a foot of salt mush. Fuckwitted officer had failed to read a weather alert for the area indicating the potential of flash flooding and given us the go ahead. All 24 Austeyr rifles from my platoon, as well as every single metal item we had on us was rusted basically instantly, and we wrote off all of the parachute silk and belts/boots as well. I can only imagine he got a medal of some sort.

I dunno how it gets much better than this holy gently caress

An officer in my unit had the brilliant idea once to try and turn our MLVW gun tractors into literal gun-trucks. As in, GPMG above the cab, GPMG on the gate, rifles out the sides. And we were going to practice convoying in such a manner. We were told a "roadblock" would be set up in order to stop us, and we would have to attempt a dismounted defense.

I'm driving the lead truck. Myself, gun det commander, 6 dudes in the back and a 105mm howitzer hanging off my rear end, with 4 more trucks exactly the same behind me. We're driving down the road, I see something in the middle of the road. Call out "Roadblock ahead".

It's a plastic rain barrel. I look at the det commander and he just grins "RAM IT." Not the point of the ex, but you're the boss.

Pedal to the (rusted) metal, mighty Detroit diesel belching out smoke as I slam into this water barrel at approx. 40km/h. You'd think it'd explode but it just kinda got knocked over by the bumper, and I distinctly remember hearing that thing drag on my diffs until the gun rolled right over the fucker. I look in the mirrors and see some SERIOUSLY pissed off op-for on the sides of the road, who were supposed to be in ambush. It's about 500 meters to the end of the range and I see the BC standing there waiting for us, and the fucker is purple in the face.

"THAT WAS A ROADBLOCK CORPORAL YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO loving STOP FOR IT"

Thankfully, this was when the det commander piped up and said he had ordered me through because how were we to know that a barrel in the road was a roadblock, and not something that had fallen off a truck at some point?

It was somewhere around this point when we realized that having a GPMG mounted fixed fore and aft with zero articulation in a soft-skinned vehicle is pretty useless, and the idea was quickly and silently dropped.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Force de Fappe posted:

Which came first, the military or stupidity?

You just know that if some roman legionnaire somehow ended up on the thread there'd be bitching about officers, dick jokes and a story about some dumbass hick from the worst backwater around. Some things transcend time.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

"Our general is some (literal) noble who apparently can't see the loving Nubian Calvary and Carthaginian infantry on our flanks and wants to charge the center, what a moron"

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
from the military history thread

Jamwad Hilder posted:

will you settle for Romans writing their insults on sling bullets?

if you're interested, the exact conflict was the Perusine War

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I've always been curious what grunts thought of being told to advance at a walk on The Somme or patiently wait for the seawall to be breached at Dieppe.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Frosted Flake posted:

I've always been curious what grunts thought of being told to advance at a walk on The Somme or patiently wait for the seawall to be breached at Dieppe.

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Memento posted:

Just read the whole thread - a hell of a ride. Give those shitheads what they deserve McNally.

I was in the Australian Army reserve, 5/6 RVR during the late 90s and early 2000s. Dumbest thing I ever took part in was a parachute jump into what had been a dry salt lake, before the drought broke and turned it into a foot of incredibly salty water over a foot of salt mush. Fuckwitted officer had failed to read a weather alert for the area indicating the potential of flash flooding and given us the go ahead. All 24 Austeyr rifles from my platoon, as well as every single metal item we had on us was rusted basically instantly, and we wrote off all of the parachute silk and belts/boots as well. I can only imagine he got a medal of some sort.

My question is, how much cleaning were the low ranks forced to do while knowing full well it was a total loss anyway? That's always been my experience.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Frosted Flake posted:

There's plenty of literature out there. These guys wrote letters and poo poo, and a lot of it has survived. Basically they thought exactly what you'd expect.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

1914: pro patria Mori
1915-1918: the Germans might shoot me going over the top, my officers WILL shoot me if I don't.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wonder if books written about the Iraq War in 50 years will have the same "Lions lead by Donkeys" narrative that the historiography of the First World War has taken on.

I don't see anyone equating Petraeus with Wellington, at any rate.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Frosted Flake posted:

I wonder if books written about the Iraq War in 50 years will have the same "Lions lead by Donkeys" narrative that the historiography of the First World War has taken on.

I don't see anyone equating Petraeus with Wellington, at any rate.

Henry Paget, maybe? Dude left his wife to run off with the wife of Wellington's younger brother.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Frosted Flake posted:

"Aw man.... gently caress this!"

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
War. War never changes.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

I dunno how it gets much better than this holy gently caress

An officer in my unit had the brilliant idea once to try and turn our MLVW gun tractors into literal gun-trucks. As in, GPMG above the cab, GPMG on the gate, rifles out the sides. And we were going to practice convoying in such a manner. We were told a "roadblock" would be set up in order to stop us, and we would have to attempt a dismounted defense.

I'm driving the lead truck. Myself, gun det commander, 6 dudes in the back and a 105mm howitzer hanging off my rear end, with 4 more trucks exactly the same behind me. We're driving down the road, I see something in the middle of the road. Call out "Roadblock ahead".

It's a plastic rain barrel. I look at the det commander and he just grins "RAM IT." Not the point of the ex, but you're the boss.

Pedal to the (rusted) metal, mighty Detroit diesel belching out smoke as I slam into this water barrel at approx. 40km/h. You'd think it'd explode but it just kinda got knocked over by the bumper, and I distinctly remember hearing that thing drag on my diffs until the gun rolled right over the fucker. I look in the mirrors and see some SERIOUSLY pissed off op-for on the sides of the road, who were supposed to be in ambush. It's about 500 meters to the end of the range and I see the BC standing there waiting for us, and the fucker is purple in the face.

"THAT WAS A ROADBLOCK CORPORAL YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO loving STOP FOR IT"

Thankfully, this was when the det commander piped up and said he had ordered me through because how were we to know that a barrel in the road was a roadblock, and not something that had fallen off a truck at some point?

It was somewhere around this point when we realized that having a GPMG mounted fixed fore and aft with zero articulation in a soft-skinned vehicle is pretty useless, and the idea was quickly and silently dropped.

pretty sure the smart thing to do in a convoy ambush is to drive though the killzone instead of coming to a stop and being slaughtered as you de rear end from the truck

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

pretty sure the smart thing to do in a convoy ambush is to drive though the killzone instead of coming to a stop and being slaughtered as you de rear end from the truck

But then how is the opfor supposed to train to ambush trucks?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

McNally posted:

But then how is the opfor supposed to train to ambush trucks?

Carjacking O-2's trying to leave the parking lot

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

coming to a stop and being slaughtered as you de rear end from the truck was the prescribed action in the mid 90s.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

joat mon posted:

coming to a stop and being slaughtered as you de rear end from the truck was the prescribed action in the mid 90s.

That reminds me of my one and only trip to JRTC before my last deployment. I was in a Delta company in the 82nd, so we were a mounted unit. We did one mission as a company convoy and were halfway out of COP Tillman when the lead truck in the convoy started to take contact from some OPFOR guys in the woods. OPFOR had only small arms so everybody is thinking that the lead platoon will just push through and we'll engage with 50s as we roll past. Instead the acting PSG of the lead platoon decides that having everyone dismount and chase through the woods after OPFOR is a far better idea, but in doing so he blocked the road and stopped the entire convoy with half of the trucks still inside the COP.

This jackass ends up getting most of his dismounts killed, but before we can even try to grab them OPFOR sends a VBIED to blow up the truck behind me and block the ECP of the COP, which means now we have to wait for a wrecker to pull the downed truck. This loving retarded rear end fifteen year E6 who is the downsiest motherfucker I've ever worked with in the army effectively got 12 people in a company of 80 killed because he thought dismounting in the middle of an ambush was the best thing to do. He's a drill sergeant now.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pesticide20 posted:

He's a drill sergeant now.

The cycle continues :allears:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

That's fading away. Turns out using raw casualty figures isn't a good metric.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

SumYungGui posted:

My question is, how much cleaning were the low ranks forced to do while knowing full well it was a total loss anyway? That's always been my experience.

We started with our boots after we got back on base and the leather just flaked off in hard chunks when we started wiping them. The unit QM came and yelled at us for getting our rifles so filthy then got very quiet after he had given one a close inspection. Then a WO2 from Ordnance came past and got everyone to hand in their rifles and mags. The inside of the mags were just one large chunk of salty brass. I remember afterwards when we resupplied we were all given literally brand new F-88s - the ones we had previously had all been bashed to poo poo before we got them, and half of them didn't shoot straight. Oh and the one left handed dude in my platoon finally got a left-handed bolt so he could stop getting hit in the face with hot brass.

I ended up quitting in 2003 when my contract was up for renewal, after hearing rumours about us being mobilised to go and shoot at goat herders somewhere. I'd been to Malaysia for training, Timor for peace-keeping, worked the Sydney Olympics as part of security (which was a complete gently caress-fest [in the good way], and actually well run because we had civilian bosses) so I figured I had seen the best of what armed services life had to offer, and had no desire to see the worst.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Memento posted:

We started with our boots after we got back on base and the leather just flaked off in hard chunks when we started wiping them. The unit QM came and yelled at us for getting our rifles so filthy then got very quiet after he had given one a close inspection. Then a WO2 from Ordnance came past and got everyone to hand in their rifles and mags. The inside of the mags were just one large chunk of salty brass. I remember afterwards when we resupplied we were all given literally brand new F-88s - the ones we had previously had all been bashed to poo poo before we got them, and half of them didn't shoot straight. Oh and the one left handed dude in my platoon finally got a left-handed bolt so he could stop getting hit in the face with hot brass.

maybe that officer that had you guys drop into the salt wastes was actually a loving genius who totally outflanked a bunch of bureaucratic redtape and budget limitations :wth:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It's stupid hard to get anything in the Aus military though. I advised a General and a public affairs unit about getting gear to do their jobs. Like a laptop, and a camera. Even with the Gen saying "let them buy his poo poo." The unit still got bullshit hand me downs instead of the new stuff they requested. Up to that point they didn't have a Facebook and had to use their own stuff with no reimbursement if it got broke on duty

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Lol if you never had to use a 1990's era toughbook that ran on Windows 98 with a huge gaping hole in the case with exposed circuitry covered by duct tape in a field environment- after being parachuted in

Also I tried transferring files between computers with a flash drive since the stupid thing didn't have a disk drive and jesus loving christ the antivirus software blew a gasket at how much poo poo was on that thing

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forlorn_hope

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How did it even see the flash drive? I once tried to plug one into a Windows 2000 computer and it didn't even have USB drivers.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Soulex posted:

It's stupid hard to get anything in the Aus military though. I advised a General and a public affairs unit about getting gear to do their jobs. Like a laptop, and a camera. Even with the Gen saying "let them buy his poo poo." The unit still got bullshit hand me downs instead of the new stuff they requested. Up to that point they didn't have a Facebook and had to use their own stuff with no reimbursement if it got broke on duty

Yeah, there was a lot of yelling about how much this was going to cost. I think if we were actual regular army we would have cared, but we were low-speed high-drag weekend warriors so none of us gave a poo poo.

I mean, technically we were combat arms and the 5/6 RVR is technically supposed to be capable of rapid reaction, but no one took it seriously at all in 1999/2000. We only deployed to INTERFET to back-fill for the regular army because recruitment was so woefully low at the time, they couldn't maintain the strength they needed to deter Indonesian militias without guys burning out.

I racked my brain for a bit this morning to think of something dumb from the Olympics, but apart from guys showing up for shift hungover as gently caress because they were out partying the night before with Dutch backpackers, it was actually a really well-run operation. We mirrored the bottoms of cars, formed human barriers for crowd control, smiled at the tourists and hosed everything that moved. Guy from my platoon ended up marrying a Spanish girl he met there. I just Stalkbooked him and they're still together, with a couple of kids in primary school.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Memento posted:

Yeah, there was a lot of yelling about how much this was going to cost. I think if we were actual regular army we would have cared, but we were low-speed high-drag weekend warriors so none of us gave a poo poo.

I mean, technically we were combat arms and the 5/6 RVR is technically supposed to be capable of rapid reaction, but no one took it seriously at all in 1999/2000. We only deployed to INTERFET to back-fill for the regular army because recruitment was so woefully low at the time, they couldn't maintain the strength they needed to deter Indonesian militias without guys burning out.

I racked my brain for a bit this morning to think of something dumb from the Olympics, but apart from guys showing up for shift hungover as gently caress because they were out partying the night before with Dutch backpackers, it was actually a really well-run operation. We mirrored the bottoms of cars, formed human barriers for crowd control, smiled at the tourists and hosed everything that moved. Guy from my platoon ended up marrying a Spanish girl he met there. I just Stalkbooked him and they're still together, with a couple of kids in primary school.

5/6 RVR is Gallipoli Barracks right? I was there for TS 15. A nice Captain told me about the barracks I stayed in being the gently caress house and many a homegrown was filmed there. Then he women's clothes flung on the shame tree and they were sprayed with a hose.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Soulex posted:

5/6 RVR is Gallipoli Barracks right? I was there for TS 15. A nice Captain told me about the barracks I stayed in being the gently caress house and many a homegrown was filmed there. Then he women's clothes flung on the shame tree and they were sprayed with a hose.

I rotated through there once but I'd be hard pressed to pick that barracks out of a line-up, Gallipoli is loving huge for an Australian base. Nahh, RVR is Royal Victorian Regiment, bases across metropolitan Melbourne. Charlie Company's in Sandringham, parade every Tuesday night. We trained at Kapooka, the Singleton School of Infantry and Puckapunyal for combined arms.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Icon Of Sin posted:

The cycle continues :allears:

The circle of life

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
My Casualty Assistance Officer just dropped off some of my wife's personal effects. She had ordered a candle as part of a fund raiser at her unit which arrived for her, so he brought that. He also brought her personnel records and the ARCOM her unit awarded her posthumously. I read the citation, got weepy, then opened the box to look at the medal.

They awarded her an ARCOM. The box had an AAM.

Weepy to laughing in 0.3 seconds

lolarmy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

My Casualty Assistance Officer just dropped off some of my wife's personal effects. She had ordered a candle as part of a fund raiser at her unit which arrived for her, so he brought that. He also brought her personnel records and the ARCOM her unit awarded her posthumously. I read the citation, got weepy, then opened the box to look at the medal.

lolarmy

lol god drat

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

McNally posted:

lolarmy

Jesus Christ what a shitshow. :laffo:

I'm really sorry man, I wish there was something I could personally do to help.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

McNally posted:

lolarmy

Jesus loving Christ.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

McNally posted:

lolarmy
This is quite possibly the Army-est thing I've ever heard of.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
What's an ARCOM or an AAM?

VVV Got it. Guessing there's a non-zero chance that this particular mixup was intentional by someone annoyed that McNally took them to task for dragging their feet on the paperwork?

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Army Commendation Medal and Army Achievement Medal. Commendation > Achievement when it comes to medals.