Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Matt Sperling started an ethics column on CFB which appears to have no reason to exist other than as a soapbox to excuse Bob Huang's Borboygmos bullshit. It only gets more comical when Bob Huang himself shows up in the comments to say "meh, that was a lovely thing to do I shouldn't have done it."

Summary:

Calling a judge on your opponent for saying "Borboygmos" when both players know what was meant 100% (Bob Huang admits it) = ethical, you didn't write the rules!

Play conservatively during the final 5 turns of a game you're winning a million to one because you know your opponent and know he' sa nice guy and therefore he'll probably concde if you have a dominating board position = stop right there criminal scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Play conservatively during the final 5 turns of a game you're winning a million to one because you know your opponent and know he' sa nice guy and therefore he'll probably concde if you have a dominating board position = stop right there criminal scum

slowplaying has been a oval office move since card games were invented, hope this helps.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Went to a local nerd shop looking for used old video games and found a Karn Liberated for 35 bucks and an Atarka's Command for 6. :toot:

Gotta love places that don't update their prices frequently. Just look at this spike, jesus http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/28138

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Angry Grimace posted:

Matt Sperling started an ethics column on CFB which appears to have no reason to exist other than as a soapbox to excuse Bob Huang's Borboygmos bullshit. It only gets more comical when Bob Huang himself shows up in the comments to say "meh, that was a lovely thing to do I shouldn't have done it."

I love that Bob seems genuinely regretful, and Matt replies that he's only protecting his reputation, like "Aw Gotcha, Bob ;) we all knock you're a piece of poo poo".

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I have a question about Kozilek's return.

There is no way to really counter this card's second ability right? It is not cast as a spell, and its triggered ability is what exiles it, so if you stifle the trigger, the card stays in their graveyard? The only way to avoid it is to play big creatures, or Brave The Elements?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

Summary:

Calling a judge on your opponent for saying "Borboygmos" when both players know what was meant 100% (Bob Huang admits it) = ethical, you didn't write the rules!

I mean I think Sperling had a pretty good point that you can't just write "Borborygmos" on your decklist and not expect to be called on it, either. Same with the Underworld Connections example. I probably would have let the guy take it back, personally, and certainly if we were only playing at FNM (as though I'd ever play anything higher) but at the same time holding it to him seems 100% consistent with most other expectations at GP, PT, SCG etc. level play.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Gensuki posted:

There is no way to really counter this card's second ability right? It is not cast as a spell, and its triggered ability is what exiles it, so if you stifle the trigger, the card stays in their graveyard? The only way to avoid it is to play big creatures, or Brave The Elements?

You can remove it from the graveyard in response to the trigger. But yes, stifling it just means it waits for the next Eldrazi with 7+ cmc.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Gensuki posted:

Brave the Elements doesn't work either. It's a colorless spell.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

I mean I think Sperling had a pretty good point that you can't just write "Borborygmos" on your decklist and not expect to be called on it, either. Same with the Underworld Connections example. I probably would have let the guy take it back, personally, and certainly if we were only playing at FNM (as though I'd ever play anything higher) but at the same time holding it to him seems 100% consistent with most other expectations at GP, PT, SCG etc. level play.
Except deck registration errors have some actual angle where you can cheat. I think what Gabriel Nassif said is more relevant: "Not sure if it was literally unethical or not [sic], I do believe it is scummy and the ruling is terrible. I've always been on the side of penalties only being here to prevent cheating. In this case, there's a 0% chance of angle or cheating (Borborygmos doesnt even have an activated ability)."

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Shortest Path posted:

Gotta love places that don't update their prices frequently. Just look at this spike, jesus http://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/28138

So like three months ago, I traded on Pucatrade for a fourth Karn. Unfortunately, it was a Modern Masters one, so I left the NPH one on my wantlist. Someone contacted me after a few weeks, asking if I'd be interested in a Japanese NPH Karn, and I said yes.

So my desires for both a quick Karn and also four Karns of the same set have paid off in a $20 profit. Thanks #mtgfinance.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Angry Grimace posted:

Except deck registration errors have some actual angle where you can cheat. I think what Gabriel Nassif said is more relevant: "Not sure if it was literally unethical or not [sic], I do believe it is scummy and the ruling is terrible. I've always been on the side of penalties only being here to prevent cheating. In this case, there's a 0% chance of angle or cheating (Borborygmos doesnt even have an activated ability)."

This is pretty much the correct interpretation and I agree with Nassif even though I think Nassif is still a scumbag in his own right.

Although Magic still exists through a stringent system of rules and edge cases, I do believe it's closer on the "Deck Reg Error" than "Scummy".

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

legoman727 posted:

Brave the Elements doesn't work either. It's a colorless spell.

Deflecting palm? You should be able to choose the triggered ability.

Nope! Damage to YOU. that knocks out intervention pact type cards.

Bam! Shining shoal, divine deflection. Also voidslime :getin:

Trickbind

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 21, 2016

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Molybdenum posted:

Deflecting palm? You should be able to choose the triggered ability.

Kozilek's return doesn't do damage to players

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

OfChristandMen posted:

This is pretty much the correct interpretation and I agree with Nassif even though I think Nassif is still a scumbag in his own right.

What did he do?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I was reading the Uncharted Realms about General Tazri's future adventures with Kozilek and I came across a very strange line:

quote:

For the first ten thousand years after Kozilek's disappearance, Tazri had used her new powers to attempt the reconstruction. But Kozilek was a poor creator, nothing like his eldest sibling, and Tazri's gifts were a pale, stunted imitation of her master's.

What is that supposed to mean? Keep in mind this line is written with a perspective of someone given the lifespan of an Eldrazi. Is Emrakul a god who created Zendikar? We know Ulamog consumes without limit and Kozilek can disrupt the laws of time and space, but Emrakul's powers have not yet been clearly defined.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I wouldn't look to deeply into it. It likely just means that Emrakul is on top of the Eldrazi totem pole of ultimate evil.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
The magic card market is insane at the moment. Everyone seems so jumpy and stuff is just spiking like crazy. Is this the new normal, or will things settle down after the first pro tour?

It sure feels like this would be a bubble in other markets. People are just buying anything remotely modern playable and driving huge price leaps.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Chairman Pow! posted:

Is this the new normal, or will things settle down after the first pro tour?

Yes and no respectively

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Chairman Pow! posted:

The magic card market is insane at the moment. Everyone seems so jumpy and stuff is just spiking like crazy. Is this the new normal, or will things settle down after the first pro tour?

It sure feels like this would be a bubble in other markets. People are just buying anything remotely modern playable and driving huge price leaps.

The bubble will pop when Wizards decides to pull the plug on Modern like they are doing on Legacy and Vintage.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

anglachel posted:

The bubble will pop when Wizards decides to pull the plug on Modern like they are doing on Legacy and Vintage.

I don't think they are pulling the plug on legacy and vintage. If that was so they wouldn't be looking to monetize it with this whispered new sealed product for legacy/vintage.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Rinkles posted:

What did he do?

Feel free to chalk it up to my saltiness at Pro Magic, but when I went to the PT (Dublin), watching feature match coverage during the later rounds, he was screaming at the TV for his friend's opponent to mulligan down from 6 to 5 and beyond. I mean just screaming out of his lungs at the TV when the actual match was down the hall being played.

It's not Nassif particularly, but it just seemed so unbelievably lovely to me that even at that "professional" level, some players would rather go an entire tournament playing opponents with 4 card hands than actually games of magic. That same player screaming at the TV for an opponent to mulligan also talks about the ethics of poor pithing needle plays.

It just really stuck with me and left a bad taste in my mouth about "serious, professional, magic".

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think it would be cool to link the Eldrazi to Innistrad via Lovecroftian horror, seems to be how they are doing the story now, each set rolling into the next. I could dig it if they work the Emeria aspect of Emrakul into it, someone mention an impostor Avacyn?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if everyone's been around to remember the Legacy or Commander boom, but those didn't exactly pop like bubbles. Cards for those formats are still crazy expensive. Modern is more volatile because things can be reprinted. Like it'll only take a surprise duel deck reprinting to tank the price of Inquisition of Kozilek. Wizards has also shown they're not shy about banning cards in Modern. The threat of reprints and bannings along with constantly shifting metagames is going to make players jumpy.

Right now though, everyone just wants in on the next big thing. People love the idea that they can shock other people by telling them how pricey a card suddenly is. Hundreds of times during the prerelease I had to hear "Did you see what *insert card here* jumped up to?". It's fun for people, somehow.

This isn't Legacy or Commander where the priciest cards can't be reprinted. WotC has direct control over the price of Modern, but they're not going to just reprint everything expensive all at once, because that's blowing their load when they've got Modern Masters 4 and Modern Masters 5 and 6 (etc.) to sell.

One thing's for sure though: Modern cards are an incredibly risky investment. Reprints can and will happen in the near future, and card prices are going to fluctuate wildly.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't know if everyone's been around to remember the Legacy or Commander boom, but those didn't exactly pop like bubbles. Cards for those formats are still crazy expensive. Modern is more volatile because things can be reprinted. Like it'll only take a surprise duel deck reprinting to tank the price of Inquisition of Kozilek. Wizards has also shown they're not shy about banning cards in Modern. The threat of reprints and bannings along with constantly shifting metagames is going to make players jumpy.

Right now though, everyone just wants in on the next big thing. People love the idea that they can shock other people by telling them how pricey a card suddenly is. Hundreds of times during the prerelease I had to hear "Did you see what *insert card here* jumped up to?". It's fun for people, somehow.

This isn't Legacy or Commander where the priciest cards can't be reprinted. WotC has direct control over the price of Modern, but they're not going to just reprint everything expensive all at once, because that's blowing their load when they've got Modern Masters 4 and Modern Masters 5 and 6 (etc.) to sell.

One thing's for sure though: Modern cards are an incredibly risky investment. Reprints can and will happen in the near future, and card prices are going to fluctuate wildly.

It's true, but speculators make their money because Wizards is very slow to react to the market. Their design and development cycles for even surprise things like Duel Decks/ Modern Event Decks are 6 mo processes at best. Hence why Serum Visions wasn't really reprinted in MM15 (Besides the "Scry not a Mechanic"). They can only do so much in reaction to the recent MTG Finance market, it's unlike anything they've seen at a continuous occurance.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

I was reading the Uncharted Realms about General Tazri's future adventures with Kozilek and I came across a very strange line:

What is that supposed to mean? Keep in mind this line is written with a perspective of someone given the lifespan of an Eldrazi. Is Emrakul a god who created Zendikar? We know Ulamog consumes without limit and Kozilek can disrupt the laws of time and space, but Emrakul's powers have not yet been clearly defined.

They do define what she does in the BFZ fat pack guide - Emrakul is the Titan of Corruption.

"Emrakul is the Titan of Corruption, the largest and most fearsome of the Eldrazi. She does not affect unliving matter - rocks, water, etc...but twists all things living, be it plants, animals, or sentient beings. She causes silent terror wherever she soars, embodying desolation, emotional and physical distance, the chill of the void, and the terror of being alone."

I don't think we see Emrakul, just the effects of her presence on Innistrad, at least in the first set.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 21, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

The Shortest Path posted:

Went to a local nerd shop looking for used old video games and found a Karn Liberated for 35 bucks and an Atarka's Command for 6. :toot:

The best part is Exxon mobile is down to like 70 bucks a share. I'm selling off my Karns and Eye of Eugenes etc and throwing the money into Exxon.

I think this will bring a better return then BW Eldrazi.

That's how I MTGFinance.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

I don't think they are pulling the plug on legacy and vintage. If that was so they wouldn't be looking to monetize it with this whispered new sealed product for legacy/vintage.

There has been zero confirmation about this rumor, unless I missed something big. Not that I wouldn't welcome such a product, but saying they want to monetize something that might not even exist is going a bit far.

BJPaskoff posted:

The thing I'm most curious to see going forward is how aggressive Wizards will actually be with reprints in regularly-scheduled blocks. One of the concerns with moving to the 2 sets/block motif was the retiring of core sets, which were an easy way to re-print cards that wouldn't necessarily make sense in a block with different flavor than its original one (like Urborg TOY and Mutavault). Wizards said they would re-print older cards more often, but BFZ doesn't really reflect that because they made that motif change in the middle of its development. This applies mostly to Modern but who's to say there isn't some Legacy playable out there that couldn't be re-printed, even if it's nothing crazy like SnT or Karakas?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

There has been zero confirmation about this rumor, unless I missed something big. Not that I wouldn't welcome such a product, but saying they want to monetize something that might not even exist is going a bit far.

I get this line of thinking but god drat, if the past year has taught us anything is that these kind of leaks end up being true much more often than not. As backwards as it feels, folks like you that balk at unconfirmed leaks have ended up being wrong a lot lately.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm gonna be p mad if they don't reprint FOW at uncommon. I'm down to only 6 now and will prob try to go down to 4 but it's gonna be tough filling out a couple binder pages of them again if they are rare.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm gonna be p mad if they don't reprint FOW at uncommon. I'm down to only 6 now and will prob try to go down to 4 but it's gonna be tough filling out a couple binder pages of them again if they are rare.

You know they would be mythic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Joke post obvious but they've "printed" it at rare in VMA so if it actually happens it's clearly at rare.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Does anyone have experience with low level shipping wizardry wrt starcity?

Do you know a way to combine separate orders to save on shipping? I missed some stuff in my pre-order...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Gensuki posted:

Does anyone have experience with low level shipping wizardry wrt starcity?

Do you know a way to combine separate orders to save on shipping? I missed some stuff in my pre-order...

You can email them but I swear I remember doing this one time and getting two different people that straight up refused to help combine my orders. Went to tcgplayer ever since.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

You can email them but I swear I remember doing this one time and getting two different people that straight up refused to help combine my orders. Went to tcgplayer ever since.

I'd probably call them instead of emailing if nothing has been shipped yet. I've dealt with SCG's customer service twice and they were nothing short of extremely helpful and nice.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Print Force of Will and Daze at common in the same set, let everyone know what hell feels like.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

Joke post obvious but they've "printed" it at rare in VMA so if it actually happens it's clearly at rare.

Whoa. I used to have 12 and started getting rid of them. If it's rare that's too bad. I do want to fill up a couple pages of them again if they were cheap enough. They're pretty to look at.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Print Force of Will and Daze at common in the same set, let everyone know what hell feels like.

That's going too far. It's uncommon, like wasteland.

Now if they reprinted mishra's workshop at uncommon like they were originally, I could finally get 3 morefor my play set.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

awesome, much appreciated

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Hellsau posted:

So like three months ago, I traded on Pucatrade for a fourth Karn. Unfortunately, it was a Modern Masters one, so I left the NPH one on my wantlist. Someone contacted me after a few weeks, asking if I'd be interested in a Japanese NPH Karn, and I said yes.

So my desires for both a quick Karn and also four Karns of the same set have paid off in a $20 profit. Thanks #mtgfinance.

For whatever reason I've been ridiculously lucky in pulling Karns from both sets in which he's appeared, including a foil each from NPH and MM15. I've got like six of them, so I'm feeling happy too.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BJPaskoff posted:

What was the impact for played cards getting reprinted in mm2? Which can still easily be bought at original price or lower! ($200 lots of places.)

Maybe 10-15%? Goyf is still $130-150. Hierarch $30-35. Cryptic $25. A reasonably priced supplemental set can certainly hit prices harder, but the modern masters model isn't going to significantly hit prices based on past experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ShaneB posted:

What was the impact for played cards getting reprinted in mm2? Which can still easily be bought at original price or lower! ($200 lots of places.)

Maybe 10-15%? Goyf is still $130-150. Hierarch $30-35. Cryptic $25. A reasonably priced supplemental set can certainly hit prices harder, but the modern masters model isn't going to significantly hit prices based on past experience.

Huh? Both CC and Hierarch were about double what they were after the reprint. Goyf was the only one that didn't move as much but as I recall, vendors had an interest in keeping the prices high so made sure they had high buylist values for them at GP vegas.

• Locked thread