Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Anybody know if xinput was fixed with this patch like they stated? Or am I the only scrub that plays with a controller? :v:

***Never mind. Looks like they fixed it.***

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.
Are there any goon ls left? I'm in one with some rl pals from when I played and we moved on over to asura so my PL spots could be crowded out.

I'm also in this other ls Nostalogic or something which has some knida goony people.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Talran posted:

Are there any goon ls left? I'm in one with some rl pals from when I played and we moved on over to asura so my PL spots could be crowded out.

I'm also in this other ls Nostalogic or something which has some knida goony people.

There is one called GetOut on the Asura server.

P.S. The best thing about the December 2015 update is the jump emote. I can now be a jumpy taru on any job, not just rofldrg.

Gruknor fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 11, 2015

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Uggh. I just got hosed on an alluvion yorcia run. We did a few 1/1/1 runs to show the new peeps how to do it, then before we did a 5/5/5 I went to convert vouchers to obsidian. While I was gone for all of one minute the pt leader went in without me and I lost out on every last piece of gear I needed. After they finished the pt disbanded and the dude who launched w/o me didn't even apologize. I paid for the first 4 runs too, and let the newbies take some gear that I needed just to be a nice guy (I could have used every piece that dropped). I don't even really care about the gear, just the fact that the dude who hosed me didn't even acknowledge that he hosed me. He just finished the run, dropped Pt, and warped out without a word. This was a Reddit LS run, so I don't know why I expected him to have basic social skills though. Like, poo poo, at least say "sorry man, if you need help on another run let me know" or something. No, nothing, not a single word of acknowledgement from this dude even after the rest of the pt was like 'WTF you launched without Odjenar." Motherfucker had no problem taking stones from the runs I paid for though.

Really pissed I threw away 4 sets of eudemon items just to be hosed in the butt by a redditor with the social acumen of a moth.

SEGA Ass Fisting fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 12, 2015

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Reddit :allears:

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
Yea, reddit's been kind of a mixed bag for me as well, but for the most part people are friendly and talkative. I guess when you have a huge LS that spans two pearls you're bound to run into some shitbags. Luckily I'm a goon and keep mostly to myself :v:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So i'm going to be picking this up in the Steam sale, since i've gotten pretty bored of FFXIV and this looks more like my kind of MMO. I see that the OP mentions that most of the goons are on Asura, so does that mean that it's the most populated server? I'd like to get on a server with a decent amount of players, after all.

Also, out of curiousity, does this have anything like the glamour system in FFXIV to let you change how stuff looks?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

So i'm going to be picking this up in the Steam sale, since i've gotten pretty bored of FFXIV and this looks more like my kind of MMO. I see that the OP mentions that most of the goons are on Asura, so does that mean that it's the most populated server? I'd like to get on a server with a decent amount of players, after all.

Also, out of curiousity, does this have anything like the glamour system in FFXIV to let you change how stuff looks?

Not currently playing, but AFAIK Asura is currently *the* server to join.

FFXI doesn't have a glamour system in the sense that you apply one item's appearance to another. Instead, they added the /lockstyle command earlier this year. It locks in your current gear appearance. It gets cancelled if you log out, zone, equip a weapon with different animations, or get stripped by a mob effect.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002

DizzyBum posted:

FFXI doesn't have a glamour system in the sense that you apply one item's appearance to another. Instead, they added the /lockstyle command earlier this year. It locks in your current gear appearance. It gets cancelled if you log out, zone, equip a weapon with different animations, or get stripped by a mob effect.

I think they've fixed a majority of those issues as my style lock still takes effect upon zoning, logging etc.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

Asura it is then, and i'm glad there's some way to set gear looks. Thanks for the answers!

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.
You can also /lockstyleset (I think) to lock it to a gearset, that won't change when you zone, only when you swap jobs I believe.

I use it to perma glamour my BST AF.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Talran posted:

You can also /lockstyleset (I think) to lock it to a gearset, that won't change when you zone, only when you swap jobs I believe.

I use it to perma glamour my BST AF.

The only acceptable use of style lock is the goblin suit on a taru.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The only acceptable use of style lock is the goblin suit on a taru.

I think you mean mandy suit. Other acceptable answers include AF armor for the wrong job and excalipoor.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

frodnonnag posted:

I think you mean mandy suit. Other acceptable answers include AF armor for the wrong job and excalipoor.

excalipoor is best weapon in slot, iirc

Who wants to help me finish my Rhapsodies of Vanadiel missions?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Gruknor posted:

excalipoor is best weapon in slot, iirc

Who wants to help me finish my Rhapsodies of Vanadiel missions?

I have to do that, but I need to progress in Adoulin first.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I have to do that, but I need to progress in Adoulin first.

I have all of the Seeker's of Adoulin missions done. Let me know if you need any help with them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
2 cotton purses
2 linen purses
56 singles of alexandrite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CPlF-IEkXQ

EDIT: JESUS

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 13, 2016

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

2 cotton purses
2 linen purses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CPlF-IEkXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUOyRbCj5mY

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

2 cotton purses
2 linen purses

Pfft. They need to bring back double delve points. I was getting approximately 1.2 mil worth per run with bringing in jamie. Runs were 10-15 minutes each.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

frodnonnag posted:

Apex mob JP camps. Pull, skillchain, MB, dead. rinse & repeat for 5 hours.

I'm suddenly cringing at my wasted high school and college years, especially before the original EXP reduction and the 50+ grind was absurd. So many hours wasted in Kuftal Tunnel.

BLM : <call2> NOW CASTING FREEZE
BLM : <call14> OPEN SKILLCHAIN NOW
SAM uses Tachi: Enpi.
The Robber Crab takes 27 points of damage.
THF uses Viper Bite.
The Robber Crab takes 200 points of damage.
Skillchain: Distortion.
The Robber Crab takes 100 points of damage.
RDM casts Blizzard II.
Magic Burst! The Robber Crab takes 42 points of damage.
BLM casts Freeze.
Magic Burst! The Robber Crab takes 521 points of damage.
BLM defeats the Robber Crab.
You gained 200 experience points.
THF: <call> Incoming Guivre!
THF: poo poo

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm suddenly cringing at my wasted high school and college years, especially before the original EXP reduction and the 50+ grind was absurd. So many hours wasted in Kuftal Tunnel.

BLM : <call2> NOW CASTING FREEZE
BLM : <call14> OPEN SKILLCHAIN NOW
SAM uses Tachi: Enpi.
The Robber Crab takes 27 points of damage.
THF uses Viper Bite.
The Robber Crab takes 200 points of damage.
Skillchain: Distortion.
The Robber Crab takes 100 points of damage.
RDM casts Blizzard II.
Magic Burst! The Robber Crab takes 42 points of damage.
BLM casts Freeze.
Magic Burst! The Robber Crab takes 521 points of damage.
BLM defeats the Robber Crab.
You gained 200 experience points.
THF: <call> Incoming Guivre!
THF: poo poo

Only now that Ice 6 does 50-70k, you get like 30k EXP and CP, and the mob dies in one volley. leveling 1 to 99 can be done solo w/trusts in like a week, the grind is now hidden behind apex/escha grinding for job points.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
And make no mistake, getting to 2100 Job Points is an absolute grind, even during double XP/CP campaigns. If you have the job/gear to get into an Apex group or an AoE Escha group you're probably looking at 20-30 hours of partying to get Master status. If you don't have that you're stuck soloing here and there for anywhere between 10-30 JP/hour depending on how fresh a 99 you are.

And with the GM crackdown on "automated playing" (not to mention I'm not even sure any of the old bots are still in development) you should probably set up some long streaming playlists to stave off boredom and fatigue.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

That sounds steep, but man it definitely still seems more approachable than the early days where 3000/hr was considered "good", the 2005 51+ exp reduction wasn't in place yet, and stuff like AF quests and genkai 1 were a massive hurdle. I think it took me at least a year to get to 75 on my first job as Red Mage back in 2003-2004, genkai 1 took me at least two weeks due to lousy drop rates, and RDM AF3 took god knows how long.

Reading everything in this thread makes it sound like the game has gotten way more approachable, I quit right before the cap was raised to 80 after playing for 7 years non-stop. The temptation is there to relive it one last time before the game dies for real, but I don't think the sense of exploration would be quite there, as someone earlier in the thread mentioned. I was 15 when the game first came out and there was just this really exciting experience to run around with friends and explore the unexplored, even if it was likely that nothing of importance would be there. Strategies were still improvised, the franchise brought in a lot of players who weren't previously MMO players, and there was still a lot of acceptance of role and subjob experimentation. One of my favorite parties was in early 2004 in Crawler's Nest at around level 40, where Phalanx was still a rare expensive scroll and I happened to get one, so I acted as a secondary melee/tank/trick attack partner for the thief- my fencing degen made me an ultimate melee/mage hybrid, after all.

I've picked up some time on private servers a few times and aside from getting that nostalgia hit, it's hard to relive that same feeling of exploration and seeing everything for the first time instead of going through the motions. I really hope at some point SE revisits Vana'diel for a non-MMO installment because I'm too old and busy to enjoy FFXI as an MMO anymore, even if it's 1000% less miserable than it was during its hey-day.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't mind grinding points and levels, it's skillups where I start looking for automation. Better skillup rates don't make up for skipping up 100 different skills.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I don't mind grinding points and levels, it's skillups where I start looking for automation. Better skillup rates don't make up for skipping up 100 different skills.

When manual methods slow down too far for your taste, turn sparks and gil (via other peoples' sparks) into skillup books and use those instead. If it's a job you actively play and a skill that gets lots of opportunities to skillup (e.g. H2H skill on a monk), skip the books, but otherwise they're really handy. Especially for things like summoning or enhancing magic that are normally a huge pain.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
DeeSan here, been in the process of buying a house. Hope to be back in game soon to get back to finally hitting 99 and going through all the story I missed from WoTG onwards.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

What's the most time effective way of getting ancient currency? I need to work on my 61 jadeshells and 10k byne. Is it easier to just spam dreamworld dynamis as thf/dnc and move between areas for ja or should I focus on the specific city? Is there a way to get 100s to drop in cities? Is just straight up murder spree preferable to killing slowly to ensure staggers?

I have max TH if that helps

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
I am hoping (but not holding my breath) that they bring back something similar to Voidwatch. I know some people disliked it, but it was one of the few times in the game when you could go to an event on any job you wanted. I just returned after a decent break, and it seems Bards aren't even desired anymore!

GEO is the favorite at the moment, and supposedly all the melee jobs are just awful. Am I wrong?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

G Prestige posted:

I am hoping (but not holding my breath) that they bring back something similar to Voidwatch. I know some people disliked it, but it was one of the few times in the game when you could go to an event on any job you wanted. I just returned after a decent break, and it seems Bards aren't even desired anymore!

GEO is the favorite at the moment, and supposedly all the melee jobs are just awful. Am I wrong?
This is mostly true right now, but they've talked about making adjustments.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What's the most time effective way of getting ancient currency? I need to work on my 61 jadeshells and 10k byne. Is it easier to just spam dreamworld dynamis as thf/dnc and move between areas for ja or should I focus on the specific city? Is there a way to get 100s to drop in cities? Is just straight up murder spree preferable to killing slowly to ensure staggers?

I have max TH if that helps
Best way is farming CoP Dynamis as THF/DNC with DNC trusts.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I'm gonna join that new social LS Aauron keeps yelling about to see if there's any hilarity to be had in there.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'm gonna join that new social LS Aauron keeps yelling about to see if there's any hilarity to be had in there.

The Reddit LS is also fun. They talk about all sorts of stuff. The best is when they are arguing over some animu, that I totally had to google to know what it was.

Whiskeybent_Texan
Jun 21, 2009

Gruknor posted:

The Reddit LS is also fun. They talk about all sorts of stuff. The best is when they are arguing over some animu, that I totally had to google to know what it was.

Yeah they're a strange lot, they are. I have a pearl with them and NewAge, but I'm back to ffxi as Elzurian@Asura if any GetOut sacks are around. I haven't posted to SA in a while, I realized.

Presently 65RDM/50BLM/41WHM, Rank 6 Bastok, 5/6 on my RDM AF, 3rd Rhapsody complete, and I'm currently headed back to the exp grind and have to get ready for my Maat fight. I'll probably bring trusts, but I've been thinking about challenging myself to do it alone.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Whiskeybent_Texan posted:

have to get ready for my Maat fight. I'll probably bring trusts, but I've been thinking about challenging myself to do it alone.

Another masochist!

Whiskeybent_Texan
Jun 21, 2009

frodnonnag posted:

Another masochist!

My thought process is more like "What kind of a RDM am I, if I bring trusts and cheese it, when so many that have gone before me, did it alone."

I did 2-3 with just Kupipi out, to have a challenge but bring a little 'insurance' along.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Yeah they're a strange lot, they are. I have a pearl with them and NewAge, but I'm back to ffxi as Elzurian@Asura if any GetOut sacks are around. I haven't posted to SA in a while, I realized.

Presently 65RDM/50BLM/41WHM, Rank 6 Bastok, 5/6 on my RDM AF, 3rd Rhapsody complete, and I'm currently headed back to the exp grind and have to get ready for my Maat fight. I'll probably bring trusts, but I've been thinking about challenging myself to do it alone.

Get to 70, max elemental magic and enfeebling, make sure you have aero3 and fight on a windsday. RDM maat is the worst.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
S-E has the full Windows client download with all expansions available for free from their site.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Get to 70, max elemental magic and enfeebling, make sure you have aero3 and fight on a windsday. RDM maat is the worst.

RDM Maat is how we separated the refresh bots from the ~true Renaissance men~ back in the day

Whiskeybent_Texan
Jun 21, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

S-E has the full Windows client download with all expansions available for free from their site.

They've legitimately just made it free? I just bought the seekers edition in steam last month when it was $20. Granted, I love my chocobo shirt and destrier cap on new jobs, I guess that's not useful for someone with like 16 level 99s.

This is wild!

Edit: You can download the data, but don't you need a purchased key? Pretty sure this is just so you can avoid the 6 hour download through POL.

Whiskeybent_Texan fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 3, 2016

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

They've legitimately just made it free? I just bought the seekers edition in steam last month when it was $20. Granted, I love my chocobo shirt and destrier cap on new jobs, I guess that's not useful for someone with like 16 level 99s.

This is wild!

Edit: You can download the data, but don't you need a purchased key? Pretty sure this is just so you can avoid the 6 hour download through POL.

It's so you can get the files if you formatted and lost discs or something. To start playing you still need to *purchase* the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

CubsWoo posted:

I wonder if it's actually updated. Having to patch for 8 hours is dumb.