Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I'm just starting Chapter 5 and the inconsistency of which lines are voiced or not has been bugging me.

I'm glad to know that XSeed wanted to voice the entire game, but very sad to know that Falcom essentially vetoed it.

Why would Falcom do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Slur posted:

the game wasn't programmed to accommodate that. they would have had to tinker with the code. i am not what you might call a computer guy so i have no idea how much work this might take

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Slur posted:

Difficulty. Too much effort for too little benefit. General laziness. Pick one.

You're not really asking why Falcom would refuse do that so much as why would Falcom not do that. This isn't really some arbitrary "no, you cannot have this toy" thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

the game wasn't programmed to accommodate that. they would have had to tinker with the code. i am not what you might call a computer guy so i have no idea how much work this might take
depends on how the game was programmed to begin with. going by what they said about line lengths in their blog posts the va is probably programmed in very, very rigidly, so adding it would be a lot of effort. they're a fairly small company, i cant really blame them for not wanting to toss a guy at it when they're juggling a new ys and cold steel 3.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

double post

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

depends on how the game was programmed to begin with. going by what they said about line lengths in their blog posts the va is probably programmed in very, very rigidly, so adding it would be a lot of effort. they're a fairly small company, i cant really blame them for not wanting to toss a guy at it when they're juggling a new ys and cold steel 3.

And with only ~50 employees I imagine they don't have many spare hands.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Cake Attack posted:

That makes sense.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Oh, Cold Steel book question. The Red Moon Rose series: If I understood that conversation near the end of the game properly, Micht wrote it using Toval as his source? Is it something that actually happened or did Micht just like writing fanfiction about Bracers?

EDIT: Also is there a good Treasure checklist? I didn't unlock the trophy even following the maps on the psnprofiles guide. I can't imagine which i missed but I'd like to get the trophy on my Nightmare playthrough.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 20, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Levantine posted:

Oh, Cold Steel book question. The Red Moon Rose series: If I understood that conversation near the end of the game properly, Micht wrote it using Toval as his source? Is it something that actually happened or did Micht just like writing fanfiction about Bracers?

EDIT: Also is there a good Treasure checklist? I didn't unlock the trophy even following the maps on the psnprofiles guide. I can't imagine which i missed but I'd like to get the trophy on my Nightmare playthrough.

It's not Red Moon Rose that Micht wrote; it's Carnelia, the bullshit collection-quest series from Trails in the Sky FC.

I don't know of any treasure checklists; you just have to keep that Detection quartz in play.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 20, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Really Pants posted:

It's not Red Moon Rose that Micht wrote; it's Carnelia, the bullshit collection-quest series from Trails in the Sky.

I don't know of any treasure checklists; you just have to keep that Detection quartz in play.

Ugh, I did that the entire game and still managed to miss a chest. I'm at a loss as to where it could be too.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Really Pants posted:

It's not Red Moon Rose that Micht wrote; it's Carnelia, the bullshit collection-quest series from Trails in the Sky.

And of course, in games not named Trails in the Sky FC, Carnelia is a lot more readily available. In SC all the books are all in one library right next to one another, and in Cold Steel you can pick them up on the cheap as you go around the country.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Levantine posted:

Ugh, I did that the entire game and still managed to miss a chest. I'm at a loss as to where it could be too.

My guess would be somewhere on the first floor of the old schoolhouse, before you even have a chance to get Detection.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

all of carnelia being in the erebonian embassy all along is such a spiteful move, lol

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Really Pants posted:

My guess would be somewhere on the first floor of the old schoolhouse, before you even have a chance to get Detection.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm gearing up for my Nightmare playthrough, i was just hoping it would be a bit quicker but now I have to slow down to find all the chests :argh:

Still, scene skip should shave about 2/3 of the running time off the playthrough.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cyouni posted:

And of course, in games not named Trails in the Sky FC, Carnelia is a lot more readily available. In SC all the books are all in one library right next to one another, and in Cold Steel you can pick them up on the cheap as you go around the country.

Though the version in Cold Steel is explicitly a reprint, so it makes sense that it's more available. That's the point of reprints, after all.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Another possibility for a missed chest is on the Sachsen Mountain Path(Roer), as there is a chest or two there that are off the beaten path, but on a different elevation than the rest of the map so Detection won't really show it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also a chance for a missed chest in the nord highlands, because gently caress the nord highlands

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

also a chance for a missed chest in the nord highlands, because gently caress the nord highlands

Thank god I'm not the only one who hated that lovely area.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I said I didn't know any treasure checklists, but I was wrong--this guide should have them all listed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Thank god I'm not the only one who hated that lovely area.
it probably wasn't any longer than other overworld areas and the music was nice, but whole set-up made it feel impossibly long, especially since you spent the entire time running around it. and the chase sequence sucked because if you accidentally nudged into a wall or something you lost like 10 seconds because your horse would freak out.

and to cap it off the end of chapter boss was annoying as hell.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Really Pants posted:

I said I didn't know any treasure checklists, but I was wrong--this guide should have them all listed.

Thanks - i used the maps thinking that would get it done but I'll just cross these off as I find them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

it probably wasn't any longer than other overworld areas and the music was nice, but whole set-up made it feel impossibly long, especially since you spent the entire time running around it. and the chase sequence sucked because if you accidentally nudged into a wall or something you lost like 10 seconds because your horse would freak out.

and to cap it off the end of chapter boss was annoying as hell.

I admit a large part of it was probably the awful quest where you have to ride back and forth across the entire drat map to find out a guy's favorite color is green.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I admit a large part of it was probably the awful quest where you have to ride back and forth across the entire drat map to find out a guy's favorite color is green.
yeah i just skipped that one lol

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it's a bad quest, but for a very good cause....

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Riding back and forth was a little annoying and the chase was super annoying, but I found the aesthetic of the whole area really really nice.

I also didn't really have any issues with the ending bosses. I found the whole Quarry sequence really cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe it's just because i burned all my s-crafts on G because I thought he was the boss of the chapter, and then i had to deal with 17 spiders crawling into my mouth while i desperately tried to charge one

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i liked that fight because i got like a x4.0 exp multiplier

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cake Attack posted:

i liked that fight because i got like a x4.0 exp multiplier

How many Double Teams and Triple Kills did you get?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the highest multiplier I got to was like 7.0 which'd be great if the EXP didn't cap out at 9999 which you usually hit around x2 or x3 anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

maybe it's just because i burned all my s-crafts on G because I thought he was the boss of the chapter, and then i had to deal with 17 spiders crawling into my mouth while i desperately tried to charge one

I had that dream last night too

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

But area arts and (normal)crafts murder the poo poo out of little ones too? I burned my S-Crafts in the previous fight and still found the spider easier. Hell, killing the small ones is even beneficial, as the big one will waste turns summoning more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I had that dream last night too

my cold steel dreams mostly involve towa and angelica

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

But area arts and (normal)crafts murder the poo poo out of little ones too? I burned my S-Crafts in the previous fight and still found the spider easier. Hell, killing the small ones is even beneficial, as the big one will waste turns summoning more.
i was on hard and fairly underleveled, it took gaius 3 crafts to knock them down, rean was busy locking the boss down with arc slash, and lol @ jusis and alisa's damage

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Endorph posted:

i was on hard and fairly underleveled, it took gaius 3 crafts to knock them down, rean was busy locking the boss down with arc slash, and lol @ jusis and alisa's damage

Isn't that about the point Jusis gets Noble Command...

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

Err, I was playing on hard too. And Jusis and Alisa are both excellent Arts casters fully capable of blowing up large portions of the battlefield, so ???

Also, you might not have been locking the boss down as much as you thought, as the big spider is heavily resistant to AT-Delay.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah endorph, screw you for having a hard time with a boss

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

yeah endorph, screw you for having a hard time with a boss

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and honestly i barely use offensive arts in this game, the damage is basically the same as crafts and cast times are long enough that half the targets will have moved by the time they go off

criminal helps but im pretty sure you only get that after the nord chapter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

and honestly i barely use offensive arts in this game, the damage is basically the same as crafts and cast times are long enough that half the targets will have moved by the time they go off

I honestly found them really useful with the dedicated casters. Emma was doing S-Craft level damage on a fairly low cooldown. If I was going to minmax I'd probably make sure she has whatever the boss is weakest too + the speed-up-arts gem for that element but even without that it was fairly reliably to spam high damage. It wasn't as useful for regular fights but regular fights were basically my Force user spamming their AoE attack + the x2 on first attack Quartz once I got it.

Criminal does help a lot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im starting to think i spent the entire game underleveled because bosses were doing so much damage that i couldn't really afford to lock one person down with a cast time when they'd inevitably need to drop a healing item or something