Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Esme posted:

I would think that garlic vinaigrette would be safe, since the oil and vinegar will eventually separate and the garlic will sink down into the very acidic and botulism-hostile vinegar.

Someone please tell me if I'm lethally wrong though.
That might happen, but for gently caress's sake don't rely on accidental conditions which may or may not arise to insure food safety.

That said, you're not going to contract botulism from anything kept in a (properly operating) fridge because at those temperatures C. botulinum spores aren't going to germinate. If you're planning on keeping something at room temperature, make sure that it's safe and stable in those conditions and an oil and vinegar emulsion does not do so.

hogmartin posted:

That raises a question that I've wondered about for a while. We're told not to make homemade garlic oil because it's a perfect anærobic environment for botulism and you'll die. What kinds of things are safe to keep in oil? I never wanted to make marinaded mushrooms because of that but someone must have figured out a way to make them not kill you.
Just keep them refrigerated.

C. botulinum is ubiquitous, and you can pretty safely assume that any food preparation surface in a household kitchen that hasn't just been disinfected will have a couple spores on it. This is generally nothing to worry about, you just have to avoid presenting the spores with an opportunity to germinate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bismuth posted:

It was really odd because it wasnt soot like I expected, it wouldnt rub off on my fingers and was genuinely metallic in luster, but jet black. The smoke was pretty bad but didnt stink and dad kept venting it; the food turned out very good. I'm sure we took a risk eating that chicken but its been a few days and so far no ones got a lacerated intestine yet so we might have made it through ok.

I wasnt sure if I should ask the cooking goons or the chemistry goons, but it was easier to find you guys so I thought I'd give it a chance, thanks!

Was it Pyrex or Soda-Lime glass? The only thing i'm finding in my googling about glass turning black is lead glass, and I don't think anyone's ever turned that into cookware.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Well, Bismuth said the oven had to be vented of smoke, which I guess means that after the glass smashed, its contents fell directly onto the oven's floor and started burning. Perhaps one of the burning foods gave off something that coated the glass?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Gerblyn posted:

Well, Bismuth said the oven had to be vented of smoke, which I guess means that after the glass smashed, its contents fell directly onto the oven's floor and started burning. Perhaps one of the burning foods gave off something that coated the glass?

That was my first thought - that there was sugar in the food. I've had brown sugar turn practically to obsidian on pyrex before.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I enjoy rice a lot, particularly Jasmine and Basmati. It's really enjoyable. I am starting to grow irritated with the seemingly random quality levels I am getting buying from bulk bins and from trying random brands carried at the indian market nearby. I've the execution dialed in to 100% I believe, but despite changing nothing about my procedure how fragrant, separate the grains remain, and how long the grains end up all seem to vary randomly from bag to bag of rice. Is there a set of brands know to be higher quality for these varieties?

For other varieties of rice, particularly medium and short grain white rice I've been 100% happy with kokuho rose and nishiki.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bismuth posted:

It was really odd because it wasnt soot like I expected, it wouldnt rub off on my fingers and was genuinely metallic in luster, but jet black. The smoke was pretty bad but didnt stink and dad kept venting it; the food turned out very good. I'm sure we took a risk eating that chicken but its been a few days and so far no ones got a lacerated intestine yet so we might have made it through ok.

I wasnt sure if I should ask the cooking goons or the chemistry goons, but it was easier to find you guys so I thought I'd give it a chance, thanks!

You basically made some obsidian-like dust, I imagine. Probably generated a lot of tiny glass particles when the piece shattered, which then oxidized heavily at a relatively high temperature, resulting in the blackish powder you see. It's deposited onto the glass chunks but you may also find it on the floor of your oven.

I'm indulging my own conjecture here, so I'm sure chemmy will come by and insult then correct me soon enough.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd guess it's carbon, like when you season a pan.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
thank you guys, it probably was carbon, I've just never seen it get that metallic and shiny, and resist smearing on my fingers or even scratching off with a fingernail.

psychokitty posted:

That was my first thought - that there was sugar in the food. I've had brown sugar turn practically to obsidian on pyrex before.

It was just chicken brushed with butter and sprinkled with salt

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Be honest: you put sugar on the chicken to get extra maillards.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I want to build a docker containerized app that will accept API posts and then display the most recent API post as an html page and save it to a database. The API post would include three things, auth token, roomid(int), occupied(bool). Longer term plan would be to output the last X records from the database based on an API for building graphs, etc.

Also I'd like to throw this finished in a docker container so if I could build it on top of a common language with a good docker base image (https://hub.docker.com/explore/) that would be great.

So to summarize, for an extremely simple API app with HTML output and basic db (could even be a flat file CSV really, performance is not important here) that has good containerland support, best language/tutorial(s)? Building and maintaining Ruby on Rails seems really excessive for what's little more than a "microservice".

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

I want to build a docker containerized app that will accept API posts and then display the most recent API post as an html page and save it to a database. The API post would include three things, auth token, roomid(int), occupied(bool). Longer term plan would be to output the last X records from the database based on an API for building graphs, etc.

Also I'd like to throw this finished in a docker container so if I could build it on top of a common language with a good docker base image (https://hub.docker.com/explore/) that would be great.

So to summarize, for an extremely simple API app with HTML output and basic db (could even be a flat file CSV really, performance is not important here) that has good containerland support, best language/tutorial(s)? Building and maintaining Ruby on Rails seems really excessive for what's little more than a "microservice".

Have you considered sous vide?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gonna need some more context than that. Adafruit actually sells this, but I don't think it's whatever you're referencing

Sous-vide powered by Arduino kit pack - The SousViduino!
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1401

This looks vaguely what I'm looking for; But no rails-style insta-database stuff

https://howistart.org/posts/go/1

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 19, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Gonna need some more context than that. Adafruit actually sells this, but I don't think it's whatever you're referencing

Sous-vide powered by Arduino kit pack - The SousViduino!
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1401

This looks vaguely what I'm looking for; But no rails-style insta-database stuff

https://howistart.org/posts/go/1

I was kidding. I have no idea what the gently caress you're looking for in a cooking thread.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hadlock posted:

I like to use my pressure cooker on most of the squashes now, makes for really easy peeling afterwards and I can generally just scoop the flesh over into a bowl with some butter and/or splash of coconut milk and hit with a stick blender. Spice it up with some ground ginger, curry powder, whatever and a little salt and it's a good to go vegetable / starch side.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello cooking masters!

I'd like a little guidance here. I am a novice, to sometimes intermediate cook, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to accomplish here, but your help in nailing down the details would be much appreciated.

I'd like to take a flatbread, topped with mozzarella, tomatoes, sweet onions, goats cheese, and basil, and a bit of bacon, bake it in an oven, then add arugula, basil, parsley(?).

What do y'all think?

Good plan? Ingredients play well? Eager to hear any suggestions or advice.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The Bananana posted:

I'd like to take a flatbread, topped with mozzarella, tomatoes, sweet onions, goats cheese, and basil, and a bit of bacon, bake it in an oven, then add arugula, basil, parsley(?).

What do y'all think?

You're nuts. It'll never work!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

Hello cooking masters!

I'd like a little guidance here. I am a novice, to sometimes intermediate cook, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to accomplish here, but your help in nailing down the details would be much appreciated.

What do y'all think?

Your plan is missing cook it and eat it and then report the results

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Bananana posted:

Hello cooking masters!

What do y'all think?

I think adding basil before and after cooking renders it into its most toxic form.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't overdo the bacon.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

The Bananana posted:

Hello cooking masters!

What do y'all think?

I'm gonna take your post seriously and suggest you split this into two flatbreads. Doesn't really matter what goes on which, those flavors are all mix and match great together, but you will have an overloaded flatbread if you throw all that on one. My rule of thumb for pizza applies here, I think; sauce, cheese, and no more than 3 toppings. If you've got a chunky cheese or a cheese that will go on in large pieces rather than an even coat of shreds, like goat cheese, it goes down to a maximum of 2 toppings. That way you can actually taste everything separately and you don't risk an overdone top and lukewarm / uncooked middle.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thank you all. I appreciated both serious and supportive comedy posts! I am super excited to try it, and yes, thread, I will post pics and report back on my results.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Nicol Bolas posted:

I'm gonna take your post seriously and suggest you split this into two flatbreads.

Agreed and I'll go one further, slice up a baguette and make mini toasties.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Bananana posted:

Hello cooking masters!

What do y'all think?

Sounds like a good time. My only concern is the goat cheese. Is it a very savory one, or mild? I'm afraid if it's too strong, it'll overpower everything else. If it's mild, may not even bother to add it at all, save it for crackers. I'd also swap the arugala for spinach, and cook it on the pizza, but I love spinach and only tolerate arugala. And when it comes to bacon on pizza, a dab'll do it. But hey, go nuts. I love a flatbread pizza. Just don't over-do it on the toppings and make them too thick.

My favorite lazy flatbread toaster oven pizza is fresh rough chopped spinach, minced garlic, olive oil, thin sliced tomatoes, and smoked gouda. You gotta chop up the spinach a bit though or else you risk topping-shift and burny chin when you pull a big leaf out covered in molten gouda.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I want to make garlic butter, would this work?

Blend raw garlic with a little bit of olive oil+salt+pepper. Cook mixture in pan until cooked, place in bowl to cool down. After cooled down, mix this garlic/ olive oil mixture with softened garlic, cool down then wrap in wax paper.

Will anything go horribly wrong?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

madkapitolist posted:

Blend raw garlic with a little bit of olive oil+salt+pepper. Cook mixture in pan until cooked, place in bowl to cool down. After cooled down, mix this garlic/ olive oil mixture with softened garlic, cool down then wrap in wax paper.

That'll be just fine. The olive oil may not solidify as quickly as the butter in the fridge, keep that in mind and you may want to drain to be on the safe side. It prob wouldn't make a difference anyway tho.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Shouldn't be too deadly. My preferred method is to roast some garlic, make some raw garlic paste, add the roast garlic to that and mix that into some good soft butter, adding some salt, pepper and parsley.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

madkapitolist posted:

I'd be interested to hear how this turns out. I also prefer roasting garlic and folding it into soft butter. I assume you'll have to very gently poach the garlic in the olive oil or end up with a crispy, gritty raft of micro garlic bits in your oil.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a wood cutting board I made as a teenager and have used for a long time. Do I use mineral oil to take care of it? I sadly put a pan on it for a second today and burned a ring on it so now I feel like it needs a lot TLC.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rand alPaul posted:

I have a wood cutting board I made as a teenager and have used for a long time. Do I use mineral oil to take care of it? I sadly put a pan on it for a second today and burned a ring on it so now I feel like it needs a lot TLC.

Yes, mineral oil and sanding.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I'd be interested to hear how this turns out. I also prefer roasting garlic and folding it into soft butter. I assume you'll have to very gently poach the garlic in the olive oil or end up with a crispy, gritty raft of micro garlic bits in your oil.

What's the advantage to roasting the garlic? I usually just crush garlic into soft butter, with salt, pepper and parsley. I do roast the bread after I put the butter on it, so I guess the garlic does end up cooked in the end.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 22, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How long does a pork shoulder stay good for in the freezer? I've got some that has to be 8 months old by now.

Related, how long at what heat should I cook pulled pork at?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Gerblyn posted:

What's the advantage to roasting the garlic? I usually just crush garlic into soft butter, with salt, pepper and parsley. I do roast the bread after I put the butter on it, so I guess the garlic does end up cooked in the end.

It turns the cloves into a sweet, unctuous, golden-brown paste. It's easier to mix or spread with/on stuff, and getting a big piece of it in your food is not problematic like it is with raw garlic. You should try it at least once, I think. It's pretty easy but it can take a couple hours to roast.

Cut horizontally thru the middle of the head(s) of garlic. Rest the halves open faces up in a compact tinfoil nest or small ceramic dish. Drench the cut surfaces in olive oil to prevent drying. Tent very loosely with a piece of foil and roast at 350 or so for two or so hours, until the cloves are mushy and dark in color. Let cool and squeeze the cloves out like toothpaste. Mash the cloves and fold into softened butter and refrigerate, or store whole cloves in a bit of oil and spread them on whatever for more concentrated flavor.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 22, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Keller's garlic confit. Put peeled cloves (with stem end cut off) on a pan, cover with an inch of neutral oil, put on low heat. Should just see occasional bubbles coming up. After an hour, take it off to cool. The garlic will be milder (though not caramelized like roast garlic can get) and soft and perfect for mixing into butter. Store it in the oil. I generally use the oil to make the most kickass aioli ever.

I think he says it keeps for a week which seems awfully brief. As long as you're storing it at refrigerator temps, I would think you can keep it a couple weeks at least.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

It turns the cloves into a sweet, unctuous, golden-brown paste. It's easier to mix or spread with/on stuff, and getting a big piece of it in your food is not problematic like it is with raw garlic. You should try it at least once, I think. It's pretty easy but it can take a couple hours to roast.

Cut horizontally thru the middle of the head(s) of garlic. Rest the halves open faces up in a compact tinfoil nest or small ceramic dish. Drench the cut surfaces in olive oil to prevent drying. Tent very loosely with a piece of foil and roast at 350 or so for two or so hours, until the cloves are mushy and dark in color. Let cool and squeeze the cloves out like toothpaste. Mash the cloves and fold into softened butter and refrigerate, or store whole cloves in a bit of oil and spread them on whatever for more concentrated flavor.

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think he says it keeps for a week which seems awfully brief. As long as you're storing it at refrigerator temps, I would think you can keep it a couple weeks at least.

I'm would imagine sprinkling a little salt would help it keep longer.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Which is why you invest in a good bit of muscle, a mortar and pestle and a bit/lot of time.
Roasting it like you suggested makes it come out heavenly but not if you want to keep the garlic spiciness.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 22, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Which is why you invest in a good bit of muscle, a mortar and pestle and a bit/lot of time.
Roasting it like you suggested makes it come out heavenly but not if you want to keep the garlic spiciness.

I agree about a different prep for keeping the spiciness but find that spiciness less welcome on garlic bread, personally. The ol' milling minced garlic with coarse salt under the side of a knife works great for making spice-retaining g-paste too, if you have no mortar setup.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
My knife techniques are poor. There are a few video guides out there but I'll never cut enough things to get good at it.

I also have no idea how to set range burner temps. Any setting on any stove I've ever owned will either fail to cook anything or smoke oil/burn food. I don't know what "medium high" means. It's all "nothing" or "smoke." I can do eggs well enough by removing the pan as needed to cool it off. But I've yet to finish a filet of anything and have it come out as good as an oven prep.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

My knife techniques are poor. There are a few video guides out there but I'll never cut enough things to get good at it.

I also have no idea how to set range burner temps. Any setting on any stove I've ever owned will either fail to cook anything or smoke oil/burn food. I don't know what "medium high" means. It's all "nothing" or "smoke." I can do eggs well enough by removing the pan as needed to cool it off. But I've yet to finish a filet of anything and have it come out as good as an oven prep.

Hows your pots and pans? Some of the temp problem could be due to cheap / crappy pans but it could be other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The Ferret King posted:

Heat on a stove is not only turning on the gas, but also waiting for the pan to heat up.

High is turning on the gas all the way. Medium is turning on the gas halfway. Medium high is turning the gas knob up 3/4 of the way. Once you turn the gas on, then you wait a few minutes (let's say 3 minutes) for the pan to get hot. Wave your hand above the pan. Is it hot? Yes? Then you put your food in.

It requires paying attention and standing in front of your stove. No wandering away to watch TV or else it will heat up too much and you'll be like OMG why is my pan on fire