Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magog
Jan 9, 2010
That's because they want to get at least $95 a month out of you for 500GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Telstra should be broken up into like 3 or 4 different companies.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Lid posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/sydney-restaurants-seek-workers-for-10-an-hour-20160120-gma52k.html

the continued exploitation of international students, including at Mamak which if you've ever been to Chinatown in Sydney you will know

The entire hospitality industry is hosed. I know a huge amount of people working in popular trendy cafes which are actually drug fronts. None of the workers are even on formal contracts or get any kind of benefits, no over time, no penalty rates, no holidays, no sick leave.

The entire industry seems to be populated by soft hearted alcoholics, exploited by actual criminals.

e: Obviously this poo poo isn't on the same level as the slave like conditions faced by international students, but I think the general industry conditions contribute to the horror at the bottom of it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Lid posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/sydney-restaurants-seek-workers-for-10-an-hour-20160120-gma52k.html

the continued exploitation of international students, including at Mamak which if you've ever been to Chinatown in Sydney you will know

This didn't get the recognition it deserved. It's a poo poo situation, working in hospitality sucks and to top it off some owners feel like it's acceptable to gently caress their employees around. But hey guys they are foreigners who cares lol

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hey amethyst, I work in hospitality thanks for stereotyping me as a soft hearted alcoholic

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Anyone got an article on the Tasmania power thing? From what I can tell so far they had to repair the connection to the mainline, thought the dams had about enough water to provide hydro during the maintenance period, and then the state started burning down so they had to start draining off the dams for firefighting?

The fire thing is just an added bonus.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/3674825/hydros-decisions-attacked/?cs=95

The Examiner posted:

In an opinion piece, published in The Examiner, the insider attacks Hydro’s decision to sell the Tamar Valley Power Station’s combined-cycle unit and a strategy to export large quantities of energy while the carbon tax legislation was in effect between 2012 and 2014.

‘In effect and apparently without much regard for Tasmania’s future energy security, Hydro Tasmania made hay while the sun shone, converting water in its dams and lakes into cash,’’ the insider said.

Hydro converts drat water to power and flogs it to the mainland. Oh and sells the spare gas power station that is about the only 'non water' based generator here.

quote:

The Hydro spokeswoman defended the company’s handling of the combined-cycle unit and its staff.

‘‘Our modelling showed that even with very low inflows and a 60-day outage, we had sufficient water in storage to manage energy security.

Cool, except this outage happened in december and theyre looking at march/april to fix it.

meanwhile climate change

quote:

‘‘The extremely low inflows we have experienced over recent months were less than half of the lowest recorded in the last 30 years,’’ the spokeswoman said.

so their plan for 60 day outages is probably not helping in a 3-4 month outage and their models were based on us not being in a drought. The drought large parts of the state has been in for years but no one wants to admit its a drought.

Edit: We were on about 50% dam levels before the power sale and I think they usually dont end up much below about 30ish in summer. Were looking at 15%. This is all from memory though but I think its pretty much right.

Box Hill Strangler fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 21, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Recoome posted:

This didn't get the recognition it deserved. It's a poo poo situation, working in hospitality sucks and to top it off some owners feel like it's acceptable to gently caress their employees around. But hey guys they are foreigners who cares lol

The best quote was from the suit from Restaurants and Catering Australia trying to blame the complexity of award structures for systemically underpaying people.

"It's so complicated! Those international students might have been 15 years old so clearly I wasn't being a fuckwit paying them as such. How was I supposed to know how old they were or that $11 an hour was ridiculously low for an adult?"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Recoome posted:

hey amethyst, I work in hospitality thanks for stereotyping me as a soft hearted alcoholic

Well, are you?

I'm speaking in general, you idiot. Next time I'll make sure to include a verbose caveat so as not to hurt your feelings.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

iajanus posted:

The best quote was from the suit from Restaurants and Catering Australia trying to blame the complexity of award structures for systemically underpaying people.

"It's so complicated! Those international students might have been 15 years old so clearly I wasn't being a fuckwit paying them as such. How was I supposed to know how old they were or that $11 an hour was ridiculously low for an adult?"

Yeah, I did see that it was pretty good.

also amethyst i really hope the next time you go out to dinner somewhere, the waitstaff mess your order up juuuuust enough that you'll accept it, but be left ever so slightly disappointed. I'd never wish for like actual sabotage of food, but a slight communication error.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
45 mins from now NBN stuff
https://twitter.com/NickRossTech/status/689998394270552066

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thought of you auspol.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The baby was weak.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

The baby was weak.

Of course it was, it has loving scurvy.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
How did the parent think that's ok. There are explicit warnings on the bloody carton

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Only select babies can handle nut milk

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

hooman posted:

Of course it was, it has loving scurvy.

It's also a baby, I wouldn't begrudge babies much of anything.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

norp posted:

How did the parent think that's ok. There are explicit warnings on the bloody carton

Probably the same people who think it's a great idea to drink unparsturised milk

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

With a small advanced payment package, I will train your child to drink and handle almond milk and how to activate almonds with your bare hands.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

With a small advanced payment package, I will train your child to drink and handle almond milk and how to activate almonds with your bare hands.

Pick Almond Artist.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav posted:

Only select babies can handle nut milk

someone make this his avatar

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If you order now I will include a complementary nut sack to milk your nuts.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Recoome posted:

Hey recoome, i worked hospitality for a decade, give it time

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Recoome posted:

Yeah, I did see that it was pretty good.

also amethyst i really hope the next time you go out to dinner somewhere, the waitstaff mess your order up juuuuust enough that you'll accept it, but be left ever so slightly disappointed. I'd never wish for like actual sabotage of food, but a slight communication error.

Are you actually stupid? I wasn't mocking hospitality staff, I was talking about their exploitation by assholes.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

And just so you know I'm not talking out of my rear end:

http://www.hospitalitymagazine.com.au/food/news/hospitality-worker-risk-health-with-smoking-and-dr

quote:

The WorkSafe Victoria study of about 6,000 free, 15-minute WorkHealth checks provided to employees in the accommodation and food services industry showed that one in four workers smoke (24.6 per cent) and almost half drink alcohol at risky levels (43.3%).

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

This just popped up on my facebook feed.

https://voteflux.org/#what

Look at the bios.

Buttcoins!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I wish I was drunk at work, it'd be more fun. The only thing limiting the alcoholism is the price.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

chaos rhames posted:

I wish I was drunk at work, it'd be more fun. The only thing limiting the alcoholism is the price.

You can buy 40 standard drinks for like 10 bucks. Alcoholism has never been more achievable.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Quarantine the income of hospitality workers imo

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Zenithe posted:

You can buy 40 standard drinks for like 10 bucks. Alcoholism has never been more achievable.

Truly we live in a golden age.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/21/by-every-meaningful-measure-todays-elites-are-gods-this-should-make-us-angry

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

duck monster posted:

Look at the bios.

Buttcoins!

Holy poo poo it's duck monster!

I was working on an academic's laptop today and he had bitcoin apps on it

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

duck monster posted:

Look at the bios.

Buttcoins!

AHahahahahaha!

Oh my god they're trying to Uber politics.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I've been beyond angry for nearly forty years. The trick is to actually do something effective. You'd think even morons could understand that democracy is failing them when the gap between haves (not them) and have nots (them) continues to increase and yet here we are.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

https://newmatilda.com/2016/01/21/f...lition-attacks/

quote:

On May 28, 2013, Ross recorded a meeting with Belsham in which the two discussed an unpublished article Ross had written about the Liberal Party’s NBN policy. The article was critical of the Coalition’s NBN Plan, in particular the Coalition’s plan for a fibre-to-the-node broadband network that would rely on decades-old copper telecommunications infrastructure.

In the tape, obtained by New Matilda, Belsham repeatedly states that he’s under “internal and external” political pressure over Ross’ coverage of the NBN, and explains that despite “having no problems” with the specific story, he (Belsham) can’t publish it because “the Turnbull camp and my superiors will come down on me like a tonne of bricks”.

Instead, Belsham – a former Executive Producer of ABC’s flagship Four Corner’s program – suggests the story can be published only be published after Ross first writes a piece which attacks Labor’s record on the NBN. At the time, Labor was committed to building a fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) broadband network, using superior but – but supposedly more expensive – fibre optic cabling.

In the recording of the meeting, Belsham states: “We’ve got to give you some kind of insurance policy, you know. An insurance policy is an article where you are hard-headed about something to do with [Labor’s] NBN failings, or, you know, potential failings. One of the quite basic failures is it’s not going to happen.”

He also states: “I like the [latest]piece, and I would like to publish it. But I’m just saying, before I can let you do that, so I don’t have screams from the 14th floor… we need to give ourselves [some insurance]and say ‘Look, this guy is prepared to be critical of some aspects of [Labor’s Plan], he’s written this tough article about X.

“[It could be] about [Labor’s] marketing [of it’s NBN Plan]… I’ll just leave that ball in your court. That doesn’t have to be the angle.”

Belsham’s logic – that Labor’s NBN Plan is “not going to happen” – appears to be based on his belief that “there’s a 90 per cent chance of a change of government” at the 2013 federal election. If that happens, Belsham argues, “the NBN will not be delivered in a way that Labor has promised”.

Belsham also re-iterates: “… this conversation is for this room only, but for a variety of reasons (all of them centred around Ross’ critical reporting of the Coalition NBN policy)… we’ve got a problem. And before I can unleash another two or three, or let you unleash another two or three things that are critical of the Coalition’s plan, we need, you know, we need some insurance.”

In the course of the 25-minute meeting, Belsham adds: “I think something of that kind means that you can then go on and [publish the story on copper cabling]and [another story Ross has written which is being held back], and we’re on comfortable ground, right. And it gives me a huge amount of, to be able to go and say to people externally and internally, ‘Look, you know, Nick’s written this tough piece on the roll out…’ or whatever it might be.”

Ross replies, “Okay” before Belsham adds: “Realpolitik, I’m not talking morality here, I’m talking about realpolitik.”

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 21, 2016

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo it's duck monster!

I was working on an academic's laptop today and he had bitcoin apps on it

Yeah I'd post more, but :effort:

If you ever need to page me to the thread, I have plat again.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
oh and they just added this:

quote:

One of the more interesting exchanges in the meeting – and the one most likely to incite fury in the tech community – is when Belsham delivers his own views on the NBN.

BB: … I do think that for a range of reasons, that plan, [Labor’s] NBN plan, is not going to be the one the country gets.

NR: Well only if everyone was uninformed about it, I would have thought.

BB: No, well that’s, that may or may not be the case. But in the end the NBN and the NBN company will be a failure, however you categorise it.

NR: I couldn’t disagree more.

BB Oh, It will be a failure.

NR: How?

BB: It will be a failure, because it won’t be delivered and that’s a marketing and political failure.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
L-l-l-l-l-eft WING BIAAAAASSSSS

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Jesus Christ

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

oh and they just added this:

typical ABC left-wing bias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Counting down until Renai LeMay justifies his premium content article about how Nick Ross was not gagged whatsoever and is just seeking attention as being the legitimate truth in some tortured fashion

• Locked thread