Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Smoking Crow posted:

It's a noh mask

There are no women in traditional kabuki, and if there are, they wear face paint

Huh, the more you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006
What's the best point to start with Hardcore TV? I recently started right around episode 100 (around the introduction of Beulah) and that seems like a good starting point. Is there anything really important that I'm missing before that?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Had Owen Hart not died, would he have likely ever been elevated to the main event and actually winning the title? I've working my way thru the attitude era, and JR made mention that he has held every title outside of the WWF/E title but he expected him to be challenging for it in the future.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I seriously doubt it.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Owen right after Montreal maybe coulda had a run on top, but that's about it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

freeranger posted:

Had Owen Hart not died, would he have likely ever been elevated to the main event and actually winning the title? I've working my way thru the attitude era, and JR made mention that he has held every title outside of the WWF/E title but he expected him to be challenging for it in the future.

Well, the rumor was Owen was planning to retire once his contract ran out, so I doubt it. Though if he did retire, he probably would have shown up in TNA for a short run since he and Jarrett were close. So he probably would've gotten an NWA run out of it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

freeranger posted:

He wanted to retire to spend time with his family, so no

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Well, the rumor was Owen was planning to retire once his contract ran out, so I doubt it. Though if he did retire, he probably would have shown up in TNA for a short run since he and Jarrett were close. So he probably would've gotten an NWA run out of it.

I'm not sure how to feel about that idea. On one hand, the idea of a gifted wrestler like Owen being NWA Champion feels so loving right. On the other hand, Owen having to ply his trade in TNA makes me sad.

I wish the idea of reviving the NWA hadn't been handed to such a crew of gently caress-ups.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
His opportunities up top were limited even if they wanted to push him, because Steve Austin didn't want to work with him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Electric Lady posted:

I've seen a gif of a Jushin Thunder Liger entrance while he was holding like five belts. He had valets walk out before him carrying the belts, one in each hand. It was awesome.

That was probably when he was the J-Crown champ. The J-Crown was a NJPW championship where they got 8 promotions to put up their light-heavyweight/cruiserweight/welterweight titles in a tournament, winner take all.

The championship as a whole changed hands a few times after the tournament. Liger was one, though he lost a belt in the Crown.

Ultimo Dragon also won the crown, and then won another NWA belt in CMLL and the WCW Cruiserweight champion.

So at one point, he held 10 different belts in 9 different promotions. Including WCW and WWF simultaneously.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

ayn rand hand job posted:

That was probably when he was the J-Crown champ. The J-Crown was a NJPW championship where they got 8 promotions to put up their light-heavyweight/cruiserweight/welterweight titles in a tournament, winner take all.

The championship as a whole changed hands a few times after the tournament. Liger was one, though he lost a belt in the Crown.

Ultimo Dragon also won the crown, and then won another NWA belt in CMLL and the WCW Cruiserweight champion.

So at one point, he held 10 different belts in 9 different promotions. Including WCW and WWF simultaneously.

I remember as a kid thinking he had to be the greatest wrestler in the world. I mean, look at all those belts!

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

The Senator Giroux posted:

I remember as a kid thinking he had to be the greatest wrestler in the world. I mean, look at all those belts!

He is genuinely up there as one of the greatest and most influential Japanese wrestlers ever.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Senator Giroux posted:

Well, yeah. That's a lot of belts! Best in the world.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

MagicCube posted:

He is genuinely up there as one of the greatest and most influential Japanese wrestlers ever.

I know. I meant more as an 8 year old watching WCW, wondering why the guy with all those belts wasn't treated like more of a big deal.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Those belts led to several of my friends getting the dragon sleeper. What are some of his best WCW matches?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Die Laughing posted:

Those belts led to several of my friends getting the dragon sleeper. What are some of his best WCW matches?

I don't know about specific matches but I'd recommend anything he did with Dean Malenko or Rey Mysterio.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

MagicCube posted:

Not only was he innovative in the ring, but being involved in training many successful japanese wrestlers (Most of the Dragon Gate veterans AND Okada) and creating the foundation for the second largest promotion in Japan (Dragon Gate) makes him one of the greatest in my book.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
What happened to Barry Windham in the 90's? He was big in the 80's, I know he went to WWF in the late 80's and became the Widow Maker for a minute. Nothing much happened, went back to the WCW mid card and bounced around between feds. Was it drugs and booze? I'll assume drugs and booze.

Everything I've seen of his 80's WCW run made him seem like a major player in wrestling for a long time in the future. Awesome in the ring, had the perfect look aside from not being Hulk Hogan ripped. More WCW jacked without the six-pack. He still had his hair on this Nitro I'm watching the night after Starcade 98

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I just found out there was a wrestling show involving WCW and NJPW in North Korea, how did that come to be and what was the reception to the matches? Were they ever televised?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

I just found out there was a wrestling show involving WCW and NJPW in North Korea, how did that come to be and what was the reception to the matches? Were they ever televised?

Here's an interview with ric flair USA today did in 2014 about it. It's got a bunch of clips but they're all in gif form.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/ric-flair-north-korea

And here's one sports illustrated did that's a bit more in depth with more interviews

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/04/27/muhammad-ali-ric-flair-oral-history-pro-wrestling-north-korea

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 21, 2016

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

So a Japanese athlete and an American athlete put the show together and on day one they have a card show depicting North Korea bombing Japan and the United States

That's hilarious

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Die Laughing posted:

Starrcade 96 against Malenko is a very very good match

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Ostentatious posted:

Look for Collision in Korea on WWE Network, it's an edited version of the two shows.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For anyone who's never read that SI article before by the way it's really, really fascinating stuff. Scott norton, bischoff, the steiners, 2 cold Scorpio and others talking about their experiences with Muhammed Ali in North Korea for 5 pages

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

For anyone who's never read that SI article before by the way it's really, really fascinating stuff. Scott norton, bischoff, the steiners, 2 cold Scorpio and others talking about their experiences with Muhammed Ali in North Korea for 5 pages

The accounts of the experience are much better than the show itself, which was mostly crap.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The American Dream posted:

What happened to Barry Windham in the 90's? He was big in the 80's, I know he went to WWF in the late 80's and became the Widow Maker for a minute. Nothing much happened, went back to the WCW mid card and bounced around between feds. Was it drugs and booze? I'll assume drugs and booze.

Everything I've seen of his 80's WCW run made him seem like a major player in wrestling for a long time in the future. Awesome in the ring, had the perfect look aside from not being Hulk Hogan ripped. More WCW jacked without the six-pack. He still had his hair on this Nitro I'm watching the night after Starcade 98

He got injured a couple of times and each time came back in worse shape. Combined with this he started taking on more and more office roles with the companies he worked in, and jumped back and forth between the WWF and WCW to diminishing returns each time.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Skinty McEdger posted:

He got injured a couple of times and each time came back in worse shape. Combined with this he started taking on more and more office roles with the companies he worked in, and jumped back and forth between the WWF and WCW to diminishing returns each time.

In the TEW thread Windham was kicking rear end in the Upper Midcard and building momentum for a Main Event-tier #2 title program when he died in a car crash. :(

Are there any particularly great Windham matches on the Network to check out?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Barry Windham and Dustin Rhodes are the MVPs of the WrestleWar '92 WarGames.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Skinty McEdger posted:

He may have also had Dick Murdoch syndrome, where he was so naturally good at wrestling that he eventually just stopped trying altogether.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Sanguinia posted:

In the TEW thread Windham was kicking rear end in the Upper Midcard and building momentum for a Main Event-tier #2 title program when he died in a car crash. :(

Are there any particularly great Windham matches on the Network to check out?

Any of Barry's matches vs Flair were awesome. Flair spoke in length about how much he loved wrestling Barry, and it really showed. There's also a really cool "friendly" match between him and Steve Williams for the UWF title at Starrcade '89. Not the best match, but it's interesting.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

TL posted:

Look for Collision in Korea on WWE Network, it's an edited version of the two shows.

Collision in Korea is one of the PPVs not available on the network

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

spongeh posted:

Collision in Korea is one of the PPVs not available on the network

Huh. I could've sworn I saw it there. Well, gently caress me with a lunchbox then.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

Any of Barry's matches vs Flair were awesome. Flair spoke in length about how much he loved wrestling Barry, and it really showed. There's also a really cool "friendly" match between him and Steve Williams for the UWF title at Starrcade '89. Not the best match, but it's interesting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CombineThresher posted:

He may have also had Dick Murdoch syndrome, where he was so naturally good at wrestling that he eventually just stopped trying altogether.
I heard a rumour that he got into a long-term relationship with a woman who was wealthy, which tempered his desire to go all-out in the ring.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Ostentatious posted:

It's pretty rough and bizarre to watch. The crowd has no idea how to react so it's mostly silence, and a lot of guys seemed off their game or phoning it in.

Only Flair/Inoki match, though, so there's that.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

TL posted:

His opportunities up top were limited even if they wanted to push him, because Steve Austin didn't want to work with him.

Austin was out in 2000 though and I'm sure Kreski would have done something good with him.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LvK posted:

It's pretty rough and bizarre to watch. The crowd has no idea how to react so it's mostly silence, and a lot of guys seemed off their game or phoning it in.

Only Flair/Inoki match, though, so there's that.

Also a Meltzer 4-star tag match with Bull Nakano and Akira Hokuto vs Manami Toyota and Mariko Yoshida, but this was during the time period where pretty much all AJW tag matches were getting 4 stars or more from him

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It's a really odd show. Because it took place over two days, you get to see some people have multiple matches. Some matches sounds like they should pretty drat good but aren't (Shinya Hashimoto (c) vs Scott Norton for IWGP Heavyweight title) and some are exactly what you expect. Like Road Warrior Hawk completely flattening and no-selling some Sumo guy 2½ minute.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

That's right. For some reason I ALWAYS think that match was on Halloween Havoc '89 since I had a VHS with those 2 shows on it back in the day. The UWF title was dead and gone by 1989 anyway, so I should have known that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why do old people like ROH so much, all the ads are for life alert and poo poo