Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rascyc posted:

How are people using their dogs? This is probably my weirdest class to slot now and I just use him as filler and to do whatever every round. I feel like the guard ability probably has some use but I use feast/famine tactics more than defensive unless a stun is involved.

dogmans are extremely powerful tanks if you load them up with +dodge and repeatedly Guard people. otherwise, i tend to boost their Bleed chance and attempt to dog the entire enemy party as frequently as possible - he's great for situations where you have enemies with only 2 or 3hp, or who will only have 2 or 3hp after their blight/bleed ticks over. the dog's greatest asset is its flexibility, much like irl

i believe the blackjack to be a trap, despite its commonly-available boosting trinket and despite the fact that it has an enormously high stun chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Houndmaster can be used to guard your squishies or dudes with low health pretty effectively. I'd say his guard skill is actually better than the MAA'S because a successful dodge will negate any bad effects like DOT or stress entirely. He also has the best marking attack in the game, a bleed attack that hits every enemy at once, a party-wide stress heal, a consistent self heal, an extremely reliable and damaging single target stun, and comes with his own class-specific consumables to supercharge his attacks for a few rounds. The cherry on top is that he's tied with the GR for having the highest chances of disarming traps in the game. Houndmaster is top tier and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Internet Kraken posted:

Darkest Dungeon question; Can templars use revelation on anyone or just the front two spots? Cause if they can hit everyone I'm not sure what the gently caress to do about that other than pray the person without a talisman goes virtuous.

Guard 'em with a Houndmaster or a Man at Arms?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

dogmans are extremely powerful tanks if you load them up with +dodge and repeatedly Guard people. otherwise, i tend to boost their Bleed chance and attempt to dog the entire enemy party as frequently as possible - he's great for situations where you have enemies with only 2 or 3hp, or who will only have 2 or 3hp after their blight/bleed ticks over. the dog's greatest asset is its flexibility, much like irl

i believe the blackjack to be a trap, despite its commonly-available boosting trinket and despite the fact that it has an enormously high stun chance

ah yes, the ol "massive stun with a surprisingly small damage penalty" trap

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea uh, dog man's bleed skill is the trap here. His stun is pretty drat good, his mark debuff is useful, his self heal isn't bad. Guard is a mixed bag, because while dodge avoids all the attack if he doesn't he isn't that great at actually taking any hits. He makes a solid slot 2 or 3 depending on if you want to have the party stress heal or stun on. Spend most of his turns using his single target attack (even without anything marked)

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Did this end up using that mechanic people were talking about during early access where each character could only enter the darkest dungeon once?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ZypherIM posted:

Yea uh, dog man's bleed skill is the trap here. His stun is pretty drat good, his mark debuff is useful, his self heal isn't bad. Guard is a mixed bag, because while dodge avoids all the attack if he doesn't he isn't that great at actually taking any hits. He makes a solid slot 2 or 3 depending on if you want to have the party stress heal or stun on. Spend most of his turns using his single target attack (even without anything marked)

Agreed, although the full-party bleed is useful in a couple limited situations, especially vs. the Inchoate Flesh. Because all four flesh bits are pretty bleed vulnerable and they all share a health bar, hitting them all is like inflicting a 4/8/12 point bleed on the boss, and you don't need to worry about which fleshy bit is which. Pretty solid.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Mzbundifund posted:

Agreed, although the full-party bleed is useful in a couple limited situations, especially vs. the Inchoate Flesh. Because all four flesh bits are pretty bleed vulnerable and they all share a health bar, hitting them all is like inflicting a 4/8/12 point bleed on the boss, and you don't need to worry about which fleshy bit is which. Pretty solid.

I had two plague doctors with the back two rows blight attack on that boss

ggclose

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

That is literally one of two situations where I use it at all (other one would be the hit is 100% going to kill something and there are other bleed vulnerable enemies to hit). You have to admit that is a niche case, if you're using it in a general fight that isn't going to work out well. Definitely don't bother spending your trinket slots on it, and don't take it over your stun (except maybe on that one boss).

General approach with a dogman for me is:

Is there something that I can kill that hasn't gone yet? Use the single target to kill it. else
Is there something in slot 1,2, or 3 that I can't kill but would like to stun? Stun it. else
Single target on what I want to die the most.

Outside of that you have edge cases like "I need to heal myself", "I've got time to heal/destress and someone else can finish the last guy", "High hp guy with prot could use a mark", "dog guarding someone".

You also get 2 dog treats now, so if you pull a tough fight go ahead and just use it (round 1 is best, alpha strike them quick!). Otherwise you're probably going to end up with one or both at the end of the run.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

dogstile posted:

I'm fairly sure that when klepto is triggered, the game spawns a bunch of poo poo in the backpack just to make you feel bad about it.

I've had Reynault's Kleptomania trigger when looting a torch stand.

He just really, really wanted that one specific torch.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm bad at using the houndmaster because I never remember to use his doggy treats.

LibbyM posted:

Did this end up using that mechanic people were talking about during early access where each character could only enter the darkest dungeon once?

Yes, though it doesn't work exactly the way you think.

Mechanics Spoiler: There are 4 missions in the darkest dungeon. When you complete a mission, the team that cleared it will refuse to do another one. Essentially this means you need 4 different teams to beat the game. Note that if you abandon a quest in the darkest dungeon, the heroes won't receive the debuff so they can try again. Abandoning it does mean one random hero will die to ensure the others escape though.

Gonna guess they tried a bunch of different designs for those final missions and decided that this system was the best.

Also I finally got something out of a hidden room other than a gem; a loving severed head trinket. It increases heals by 30% but does 20% stress damage. Pretty terrible!

EDIT: Its only worth 150 gold too :shepicide:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 21, 2016

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

LibbyM posted:

Yep. But it's only on a successful run, so if you wipe or have to retreat and murder a party member you can send the poor saps back in there. It still kind of sucks though.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
So interesting/Weird interaction. Gambling for Stress relief will occasionally have the hero lose a Trinket, most people have likely run into that , well rarely they can also get a Trinket. Not had that happen before which is cool. The odd thing Is the Trinket I got was Crest of the 1100, the Kickstarter Trinket. I would not have thought that was in the normal Pool.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

This is honestly a pretty brilliant idea, no clue if it could be easily modded in the current system though.
it's trivial to implement. i took the mark out of my modded solo and put that instead. haven't had a chance to run a dungeon with the guy yet, so i dunno how well it works. i do like how well it synergizes with the skill name though.

"get outta my way, i'm gonna sing a solo about SOLOING ALL THESE GUYS!!!!"

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 21, 2016

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
So after playing 200+ hours of this during pre-release it appears to be unplayable on the same system now. Sometime around when the abomination came out was when it first started, hiccups, super slow loading, and often crashes during load. Now I admit the computer in question is a spare we use for our living room and is older (socket 775 intel 8400 processor or some such, gtx 660, 4gb ram) but I still don't understand how this has gone on for this long during their push for a release candidate.

Is this something others have run into? Are you also on an older 2 core processor? I'd assume smaller devs don't have the resources to really test on a wide range of older specs, but this performance is *atrocious* to the point where I can wait over 5 minutes to load into the hamlet. Pretty annoying since the same machine had no problems earlier in the development.

Edit - Should mention that windows reports the CPU is under 100% utilization during the hiccups/long load times.

fargom fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 21, 2016

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Schnabel posted:

no, he's garbage. go into your game files and give solo a mark effect and add some +crit to his camp skills, or maybe buff his single target stress cure a little. i did some of the above and now i can actually look at him without puking

Don't do this incredibly lame and stupid thing

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I wish the Ancestor had lines mocking you if you turn off Darkest Dungeon difficulty or mod your game to be easier

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
How exactly do you go about modding game files? The Jester sucks rear end and I like a lot of the ideas in the thread to improve him, but the last game I modded the files for was Crusader Kings 2 like 2 years ago. Another issue is I'm on a Mac. Please help.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why even play this game if having a non optimal party makes you cry into your INI config

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

Why even play this game if having a non optimal party makes you cry into your INI config

What's really obnoxious about this thread is how half the people in it basically call anyone who wants to change something a pussy. In other threads it's understood that some people like to gently caress around with their game and mod it until it suits them. On the other hand there are also casual players who want to have a less difficult experience. No one has ever insulted me because I added a gender mod to CKII or because I play at Emperor level in Civ instead of Deity.

It's my game that I bought. I should be allowed to play it however I want.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, that whole attitude is weird. It's the type of poo poo I expect from disgruntled steam posters.

If people want to mod poo poo, go crazy. Your dime, your time.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FourLeaf posted:

What's really obnoxious about this thread is how half the people in it basically call anyone who wants to change something a pussy.

Not really. The main one that comes up is level limits and people mostly just point out that there's a very good reason they're there (because you really, really want to be spreading experience around and putting all your eggs in one basket is ultimately self defeating.)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Is there a cheat sheet anywhere of what items to bring to what location and what those items unlock?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

fargom posted:

So after playing 200+ hours of this during pre-release it appears to be unplayable on the same system now. Sometime around when the abomination came out was when it first started, hiccups, super slow loading, and often crashes during load. Now I admit the computer in question is a spare we use for our living room and is older (socket 775 intel 8400 processor or some such, gtx 660, 4gb ram) but I still don't understand how this has gone on for this long during their push for a release candidate.

Is this something others have run into? Are you also on an older 2 core processor? I'd assume smaller devs don't have the resources to really test on a wide range of older specs, but this performance is *atrocious* to the point where I can wait over 5 minutes to load into the hamlet. Pretty annoying since the same machine had no problems earlier in the development.

Edit - Should mention that windows reports the CPU is under 100% utilization during the hiccups/long load times.

I'm on a 9-year old iMac, probably lower-spec than you (core 2 duo 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, ATI graphics with a whole 256mb of vram), and it runs fine for me. When it first came out on Early Access it was kind of choppy, but one of the early updates took care of that and it's been smooth ever since.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Rad Russian posted:

My only wish is they add various game modes a la Dungeon of the Endless to spice up future restarts. For example something like stage coach removed, you start with 1 of every hero right away and get interesting buffs and game play changes, but can't recruit any more heroes. Once they die they're gone. Of course link it all to achievements and a completion of each of those modes will unlock the next interesting variation on the game.

I want this exact thing and have had conversations irl with other dudes who own the game about how rad it would be.

Please red hook I will kiss you on the mouth in exchange

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

FourLeaf posted:

What's really obnoxious about this thread is how half the people in it basically call anyone who wants to change something a pussy. In other threads it's understood that some people like to gently caress around with their game and mod it until it suits them. On the other hand there are also casual players who want to have a less difficult experience. No one has ever insulted me because I added a gender mod to CKII or because I play at Emperor level in Civ instead of Deity.

It's my game that I bought. I should be allowed to play it however I want.

sorry, but modded darkest dungeon devalues the sanctity of traditional darkest dungeon. darkest dungeon has always been a covenant between a player and his ancestor, not a player and his mod tools.

katkillad2 posted:

Is there a cheat sheet anywhere of what items to bring to what location and what those items unlock?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386706480

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

No it is a bit more of "the game is heavily reliant on tension created by game elements" combined with people not realizing that and wanting to make it easier. Modding and playing a watered down version is better than the person not enjoying it at all, but at least go into it understanding that you really are lessening your experience.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Soothing Vapors posted:

sorry, but modded darkest dungeon devalues the sanctity of traditional darkest dungeon. darkest dungeon has always been a covenant between a player and his ancestor, not a player and his mod tools.

Your ancestor is kind of a prick though so I could understand wanting to spite him.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Game stutters like crazy after release on the same machine that ran the EA version flawlessly a month ago. What gives?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the distinction between a game and a toy is that a game has rules and mechanics that you're expected to work inside of towards an objective. Nobody complains about ck2 modding or whatever because it's a toy. If you enjoy cheating yourself unlimited levels and gold or whatever that's fine and you should play warcraft 2 and build nothing but sappers, because that's peak CheatFun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The speculation on the steam forums regarding the stuttering and lag in the game now is due to how the game checks for steam achievements.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
attn: if you are arguing about how to play this game i have a special announcement for you:

open your mouth

i need to pee

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah ideological purity is all well and good, but at the end of the day the jester still sucks and needs fixin. im sorry that the horrible truth is stressing some people out. if you find yourself among that number then perhaps you should go to church for a week

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Also I finally got something out of a hidden room other than a gem; a loving severed head trinket. It increases heals by 30% but does 20% stress damage. Pretty terrible!

EDIT: Its only worth 150 gold too :shepicide:
I dunno, it seemed like a pretty strong play when I stacked two +heal% items on my Vestal. Not really having to worry about damage was pretty nice, since she just healed SO MUCH. (the base 5-7 heal or w/e critted for 24 healing a couple times). It almost felt like a traditional jrpg for a little bit.

e: I'm a lot happier with trinkets now, since there are a lot of loadouts like this or like +stun items that really help out giving characters specialized niches. Also, it feels like I'm not drowning in terrible common trinkets compared to the EA release, although this might largely due to the fact that I'm selling them for cashmoney.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 21, 2016

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Schnabel posted:

yeah ideological purity is all well and good, but at the end of the day the jester still sucks and needs fixin. im sorry that the horrible truth is stressing some people out. if you find yourself among that number then perhaps you should go to church for a week

you're just in the pocket of Big Hound.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
jesus christ these ascended brawlers do not gently caress around

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I started a new game now that the game is officially out and every party I fielded was getting ruined until I took Occultist/Arbalest/Houndmaster/Man-at-Arms and they started clearing multiple dungeons in a row without needing to take time off for stress relief because stuff that dealt stress damage was dead before it got a turn.

Normal Adult Human posted:

you're just in the pocket of Big Hound.

I was so happy with my Houndmaster's performance I sprung for a Very Rare trinket in the nomad shop the week it unlocked. I threw a few fools into the Warrens to recoup the losses, and called it fair.

In fact, it was kind of funny--I sent a PD, GR, Abomination and Jester in that group without caring if they lived or died, but they actually had a good bit of synergy with the various move forward/move back abilities the latter three were packing. And then, in the final battle, the abomination got crit for 19 damage, losing all his health and falling to death's door, stressed out, rolled a virtue, and immediately died to blight on his turn. He was my first and only guy to die so far.

The sight of him being all heroic like "We shall overcome!" and then immediately falling over dead was hilarious.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
I'm sure this gets asked almost every page, but when I played back in Beta you never used a torch, you just kept it dark for bigger crits + phat loot. Just started again today, and i'm finding that stress increases too fast for that strat... is this true?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do we know if there are any plans to release some more alternative skins for classes? Sight unseen, I really wanted that Heretic skin for the Crusader that lost out to the...Musketeer I think it was? I would be willing to pay a little extra for some of those sort of things if they released a pack or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Turds in magma posted:

I'm sure this gets asked almost every page, but when I played back in Beta you never used a torch, you just kept it dark for bigger crits + phat loot. Just started again today, and i'm finding that stress increases too fast for that strat... is this true?

You can still play in the dark, but it's pretty much the game's hardmode