Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

enraged_camel posted:

There's also San Antonio I guess, but that's... well, San Antonio.

Hey

gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I really only hear the "blue in a sea of red" thing from non-Texans who moved here from out of state to justify moving to Texas/why Austin is ok despite Texas Bad.

That's funny because, while I knew Austin was liberal before moving here, I've heard that particular phrase only from Texas natives.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Let's all just agree that Greg Abbott is a disaster and actively makes me feel embarrassed, and if he died I'd be happy even though I'd sort of feel bad about that

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's almost as though the point was that Austin is no better than the rest of Texas, not that Austin is uniquely horrible.

If Austin is passing anti-segregation ordinances, and the rest of Texas gets together to reverse them and ban anti-segregation forever then yeah that means Austin is better than the rest of Texas.

Turning around and denouncing Austin "hypocrisy" for not being any less segregated than the rest of the state after the rest of the state banned them from integrating is pretty hilarious though.

:clint: See you self-righteous liberals won't live next to black people in your own town, shows how deep your beliefs really go
:v: Actually we would, and we're going to start
:clint: No you're not allowed to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why are you guys arguing with an Aggie about Austin.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

I'm not even saying Austin is terrible though (at least outside of traffic which no one can really dispute). :shrug:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

computer parts posted:

I'm not even saying Austin is terrible though (at least outside of traffic which no one can really dispute). :shrug:

Go play in it why don't you.

Wish HEB would open 24hr stores. Hate giving Wal-Mart business, even for emergency item purchases like gauze bandages and Neosporin that I couldn't put off for a few hours last night.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, like the rest of the state, is inside of Texas. That makes it full on Texan, and just like the rest of the state, Austin is terrible in it own special and unique snowflake way. You can't be a part of this state with out getting your feet in the cow patties.

Also the state legislature is pants on head, comic book levels of crazy and petty. Just because they hold dear their chances to gently caress with Austin doesn't mean you should be running around trying to tar us with the same brush.

They pulled this same kind of poo poo over turning the municipal frackig ban in that one town on the Eagle Ford Shale. They'll get big government whenever it suits them, I'm sure they just consider sticking it to those commie liberals a fringe benefit for protecting the wealthy.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

MariusLecter posted:

Go play in it why don't you.

Wish HEB would open 24hr stores. Hate giving Wal-Mart business, even for emergency item purchases like gauze bandages and Neosporin that I couldn't put off for a few hours last night.

HEB has 24hr stores.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

jaegerx posted:

HEB has 24hr stores.

But not near me :argh:

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

zoux posted:

Lol

Aggies will take any chance to rant about Austin or UT

Longhorns meanwhile don't give 2 shits about Aggies

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Great Observer article about Stickland's Tea Party rally this week, as well as the broader temp of the House.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Great Observer article about Stickland's Tea Party rally this week, as well as the broader temp of the House.
Hooks is great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His twitter game is extremely strong.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

blue squares posted:

Let's all just agree that Greg Abbott is a disaster and actively makes me feel embarrassed, and if he died I'd be happy even though I'd sort of feel bad about that

Governor Dan Patrick.

:stonk:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Lol

Somebody doesn't read the college football thread very often.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Longhorns are still a thing? lol

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dameius posted:

Austin, like the rest of the state, is inside of Texas. That makes it full on Texan, and just like the rest of the state, Austin is terrible in it own special and unique snowflake way. You can't be a part of this state with out getting your feet in the cow patties.

Sure, but there is difference between getting just your feet in cow patties versus drowning in it.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Governor Dan Patrick.

:stonk:

Dan Patrick wouldn't be able to do as much harm if he was Governor. The Lieutenant Governor has traditionally been the most powerful office in the state. Perry was the only exception to that rule and that was mostly because he managed to stick around long enough to fill every single goddamn possible appointed position in the state with one of his cronies.

Dameius posted:

True, but our terribleness has a lot more to do with Alex Jones-style craziness and conspiracy-mongering than what we usually get called out for in this thread.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The number one issue affecting Austin is affordability. Without a doubt. I've had several friends leave because they encountered this dilemma: To afford Austin's luxuries requires working more hours, which means less time to enjoy the very things you're paying a premium to do. The result is to say gently caress it and move, where at least you'll have more money, or more time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

How ironic that such a liberal hippie city can only be truly appreciated by the rich conservative capitalists thst they hate.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

oldpainless posted:

How ironic that such a liberal hippie city can only be truly appreciated by the rich conservative capitalists thst they hate.

I don't think gentrification is that ironic but ymmv

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

oldpainless posted:

But the cause of this is conservatism, and the solution to this is progressivism, so it's not ironic at all.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I don't know what that word means

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lol

Pardon me, but gently caress Texas A&M and their creepy fake army that worships a dog.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Lol

MariusLecter posted:

Longhorns are still a thing? lol

zoux posted:

So this UT engineer from the city decides to move out to the countryside and retire. He gets himself an old farm, and decides to do it the organic, old fasioned way. He buys an old plow and a mule to pull it with.

Well, there's a reason they say things are 'as stuberon as a mule'.

He fights it. He whips it. Nothing happens, it just stands there. Meanwhile, there's an Aggie in overalls watching him from the far side of his fence. Finally the guy looks over at the Aggie, throws his hands up in disgust, and asks him if he can do any better. The Aggie slowly nods, and steps through the barbed wire and comes over to inspect the mule. He reaches down and pulls a bit of straw from the ground. He holds it up to the light and looks through it. Then when he's satisfied that it's suitable for the job he sticks it up the muie's rear end and blows on it. The mule takes off faster then it's ever moved in it's life and the Longhorn plows part of his field.

The next day he's out bright and early, eats his biscuits and gravy and gets his mule. He hitches it up and it just stands there, huffing. He whips it. He pushes it. He screams. Meanwhile the Aggie is there again, standing by the fence in his overalls and chewing on a weed. Finally the UT engineer reaches down and grabs a piece of straw and sticks it up the mules rear end and blows on it. Nothing happens, so finally he once again asks the Aggie for help. The Aggie slowly walks over, looks at the straw in the mules rear end, and pulls it out. He holds it up to the sun, stares down it, and then turns it the other way around and feeds it back up into the mule. Then he leans in and blows on it. The mule takes off, and the Longhorn finishes plowing his field.

When he's done, he goes on over to the Aggie, who is still leaning on the fence, and asks him, "How'd you know that the straw was in backwards?"

The Aggie blinks at him. "Backwards? I don't know, I just knew I sure as hell wasn't going to blow on the same end you did!"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Pardon me, but gently caress Texas A&M and their creepy fake army that worships a dog.
The time I visited College Station, I got the impression that this is what Texas would look like if it was ruled by a totalitarian regime that was really into football. The huge, Soviet-looking buildings and jackbooted (literally) seniors added to the whole vibe.

And there was chalk graffiti in a pedestrian tunnel which said "Life goals =" and a stick-figure drawing of a two-parent, two-children family. My oh my, this is very different from Austin...

It was pretty lovely in its way, actually. They deffo take advantage of "space."

oldpainless posted:

oldpainless posted:

I don't know what that word means
Same here. I'm frankly at a loss what to do or what's even politically possible. Gentrification seems to me an issue like immigration, where both sides are in effect saying "build a wall" but it's really not that simple.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 21, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PostNouveau posted:

Call them brownshirts, they get really mad when you do that.

Omi-Polari posted:

The time I visited College Station, I got the impression that this is what Texas would look like if it was ruled by a totalitarian regime that was really into football. The huge, Soviet-looking buildings and jackbooted (literally) seniors added to the whole vibe.

It was pretty lovely in its way, actually. They deffo take advantage of "space."

There's a whole bunch I could write about the clusterfuck there but no one cares. Tl;dr though is that the administration is trying to massively increase enrollment for various reasons. This has the benefit of actually spurring development (we finally have a building that's more than 12 stories tall!) but generates a whole lot of constructions and congestion.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 21, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Austin residents get so butthurt whenever you remind that they too are part of Texas.

I grew up around Houston, I currently live in DFW, and I spent enough summers with cousins in Austin that I can say it loving sucks everywhere. You just gotta find your happy place. I've found plenty in Houston and DFW, and while I am aware there are plenty of places in Austin I can enjoy the fact is I've gotta share em with some of the douchiest people I've met in the state.

Austin itself isn't the problem. It's the arrogance and circle jerking.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Austin itself isn't the problem. It's the arrogance and circle jerking.

You really do sound like one of them lesser Texas who doesn't live in Austin. :smug:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I live in Austin.

Does anyone want a free microwave.

Otherwise I'm giving it to anarchists.

You have one week.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Omi-Polari posted:

I live in Austin.

Does anyone want a free microwave.

Otherwise I'm giving it to anarchists.

You have one week.
Give it to the anarchists.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
make a cyclotron

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

enraged_camel posted:

You really do sound like one of them lesser Texas who doesn't live in Austin. :smug:

I actually wander the streets in rags begging for cheeseburgers.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You've given me an idea...

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

make a cyclotron
and

fade5 posted:

Give it to the anarchists.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Houston is the best city in the state. Not even a discussion.

Interesting Texas political discussion outside of AustinSucksChat surrounds Governor Abbot calling for a constitutional convention to roll back 20th century gains (and some some 19th century ones -- peace out Marbury v. Madison).

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Omi-Polari posted:

Same here. I'm frankly at a loss what to do or what's even politically possible. Gentrification seems to me an issue like immigration, where both sides are in effect saying "build a wall" but it's really not that simple.

Build up and make zoning less hostile to splitting lots and multifamily projects.

The trouble is that the homeowners who bought in the 80s and 90s are not directly affected by the housing shortage, and place greater priority on the neighborhood looking like they remember than on the teacher at the school being able to live there. They got large sections of Austin downzoned, aggressively enforce deed restrictions, and work to preserve single family only neighborhood plans which are treated like the writ of God. So the construction occurs in areas that didn't then or doesn't now have the political pull to block it - East Austin.

A little article about the fight between developer and existing homeowners, in general: http://cityobservatory.org/homevoters-v-the-growth-machine/

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Omi-Polari posted:

And there was chalk graffiti in a pedestrian tunnel which said "Life goals =" and a stick-figure drawing of a two-parent, two-children family. My oh my, this is very different from Austin...

Thankfully a lot of the brutalist architecture from the 70s/80s is being torn down or renovated away

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ohtsam posted:

Thankfully a lot of the brutalist architecture from the 70s/80s is being torn down or renovated away

RIP Zachry building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Shifty Pony posted:

Build up and make zoning less hostile to splitting lots and multifamily projects.

The trouble is that the homeowners who bought in the 80s and 90s are not directly affected by the housing shortage, and place greater priority on the neighborhood looking like they remember than on the teacher at the school being able to live there. They got large sections of Austin downzoned, aggressively enforce deed restrictions, and work to preserve single family only neighborhood plans which are treated like the writ of God. So the construction occurs in areas that didn't then or doesn't now have the political pull to block it - East Austin.

A little article about the fight between developer and existing homeowners, in general: http://cityobservatory.org/homevoters-v-the-growth-machine/

MY PROPERTY VALUES!@!!!!