Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

There is a 21 year gap between the oldest and the most recent song in Fritzi's playlist. Even if, generously, Fritzi was a young child when she first heard The Beatles, she'd be in her late 20s-pushing 30 when The Cars came around. There are two distinctly different generations here, and they would come around at very different times in Fritzi's life, evoking completely different memories, feelings, and emotions.

I think this is what pisses me off the most about Gilchrist's musical wankery: He pretty much just classifies everything that's not "now" (with the hip-hop music and the Justin Biebers) as one homogonized idea, like it all counts equally. Which would almost be acceptable, except the character we're talking about is supposed to be a MUSICAL JOURNALIST, and should know better than that. All this says is "They don't make 'em like they used to," which makes no sense when you show several decades of changing trends as all equally good.

What's the cut-off for Gilchrist? We've seen him jerk it to the Everly Brothers and late-period Tom Petty in the same strip before. Does it go by "classic rock radio" rules? Would Nirvana, a band whose lead singer has been dead for 22 years, still be too recent for Fritzi to wear their T-shirt over her tits? Beck? Pearl Jam? Weezer?

Also, WHO THE HELL IS THIS SUPPOSED TO APPEAL TO?

EDIT: Well, this was a terrible start to a new page. Here, have a random today's Get Fuzzy as penance:

Vargo fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vargo posted:

There is a 21 year gap between the oldest and the most recent song in Fritzi's playlist. Even if, generously, Fritzi was a young child when she first heard The Beatles, she'd be in her late 20s-pushing 30 when The Cars came around. There are two distinctly different generations here, and they would come around at very different times in Fritzi's life, evoking completely different memories, feelings, and emotions.

I think this is what pisses me off the most about Gilchrist's musical wankery: He pretty much just classifies everything that's not "now" (with the hip-hop music and the Justin Biebers) as one homogonized idea, like it all counts equally. Which would almost be acceptable, except the character we're talking about is supposed to be a MUSICAL JOURNALIST, and should know better than that. All this says is "They don't make 'em like they used to," which makes no sense when you show several decades of changing trends as all equally good.

What's the cut-off for Gilchrist? We've seen him jerk it to the Everly Brothers and late-period Tom Petty in the same strip before. Does it go by "classic rock radio" rules? Would Nirvana, a band whose lead singer has been dead for 22 years, still be too recent for Fritzi to wear their T-shirt over her tits? Beck? Pearl Jam? Weezer?

Also, WHO THE HELL IS THIS SUPPOSED TO APPEAL TO?

EDIT: Well, this was a terrible start to a new page. Here, have a random today's Get Fuzzy as penance:

http://www.somethingawful.com/your-band-sucks/your-genre-sucks-3/

quote:

Flip around your dial a little bit, and in no time you’ll come across a syndicated middle-aged DJ announcing his playlist. Do you maybe detect a hint of shame in his voice as he announces Def Leppard alongside Jimi Hendrix in his last computer-mandated set? No, you don’t, because all classic rock DJs are dead inside.
At least we can credit hippies with more of a grasp on their own culture than classic rock radio programmers, since you’d be hard pressed to find a true sixties wild-child who’d walk over to his stereo and play a double-shot of Boston followed by classic tracks from Van Halen, Simon & Garfunkel, and Loverboy.
Much as I appreciate people who know how to turn up their noses at Journey, even “real” classic rock fans piss me off. For one thing, a lot of them like Pink Floyd, and that’s totally loving inexcusable no matter how many drugs you took. For another thing, they’re so wedded to the past that they’re going to be content listening to the same played-out garbage for the rest of their lives, and would gladly tell some young punk why The Jefferson Airplane is ten times better than what the kids are listening to these days, even though he has no idea what the kids have been listening to for the last thirty years and has no particular desire to find out.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

9 Chickweed Lane

"How should I know? We went to the movies."

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

We probably don't want to see the original version of this strip.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

And so, Calvin ended up only listening to self-released Norwegian black metal.

Ripley's

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is just going in for a minute, officer.

Working Daze forces perspective, joke.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix thinks you better shut up and pay up, capisce?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

See that cake decorating? Those kinds of skills are why he's a big time New York City cake decorator.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Ohhhh well well well the "FBI" ooooooo.

Apartment 3-G

Overnight, Margo killed two rival gang members.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (January 21-22, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (February 1-3, 1954)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Overnight, Margo killed two rival gang members.

I'm glad to know that particular artistic quirk from the modern A3Gs had its roots in the classics.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

At least dying from bird flu is permanent. Dating Swift will not end well and you'll never live it down.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

This makes no goddamn sense and, honestly, I kind of love it for that. I guess I'm requesting a Red and Rover if such a thing is even possible?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

I dunno, I find it hard to blame the man. I can easily imagine Ev saying, "Oh, borrow money when you can't pay it back?"

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

SomeMathGuy posted:

This makes no goddamn sense and, honestly, I kind of love it for that. I guess I'm requesting a Red and Rover if such a thing is even possible?

I took it to mean that the fact that it's grape has no obvious bearing on the balancing act and both CB and Snoopy are confused that Lucy is acting like it does.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

dismas posted:

I took it to mean that the fact that it's grape has no obvious bearing on the balancing act and both CB and Snoopy are confused that Lucy is acting like it does.

That's my reading, but I can't shake this feeling that I'm missing something because that joke works for me in a way most Peanuts doesn't, even the early stuff. Could just be unjustified second-guessing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SomeMathGuy posted:

That's my reading, but I can't shake this feeling that I'm missing something because that joke works for me in a way most Peanuts doesn't, even the early stuff. Could just be unjustified second-guessing.

Lucy will find any excuse to be unimpressed, the joke is she's a jerk.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

gleebster posted:

I dunno, I find it hard to blame the man. I can easily imagine Ev saying, "Oh, borrow money when you can't pay it back?"

"Well, you should at least have the decency to try to avoid me like the cheating sneak you are!" as True drives the man's skull deep into the cracked pavement.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't understand this crimestoppers advice. In Australia, taxis have a meter that tells you what your fare is up to the whole time. You can watch it tick up as you travel. How does it work in America that they can somehow cheat you?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Tiggum posted:

I don't understand this crimestoppers advice. In Australia, taxis have a meter that tells you what your fare is up to the whole time. You can watch it tick up as you travel. How does it work in America that they can somehow cheat you?
Taking longer routes to artificially drive the fare up when a shorter route would've worked just as well.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

All the taxis I've ever taken have meters as well, but then I've only ever taken taxis in New York and Washington. Maybe it's meant to be a warning against dishonest cabbies who might tamper with the meter?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
^^^ And most importantly I take my taxi crime advice from the Railroad Police.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year Four (February 1-3, 1954)

Not gonna lie, kinda blown away by this strip.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

I feel like this one strip contains everything you need to know about Peanuts.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I feel like this one strip contains everything you need to know about Peanuts.

One of the first steps on the long slide into decades of endless pathos.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Man I loving hate Working Daze!!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

That man is dead.

Fritzi Ritz

Seller's market.

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Taking longer routes to artificially drive the fare up when a shorter route would've worked just as well.
Actually, regardless of how they're planning to cheat you, what good does asking them for an estimate do you? They can just give an inflated estimate or not even bother to do that and when it costs more just say "Sorry, I guess I a wrong. :shrug:"

If you're worried they might deliberately take you a longer way, just tell them to use the satnav.

Does Leia even look like that in the new one?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

TIL you can just waltz into a police station and request to be furnished with a personal bodyguard.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tiggum posted:

Does Leia even look like that in the new one?

Not even remotely.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (November 22, 1928)

Peanuts (January 23, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

After "listening list', I'm going to need some convincing that sortware is even a word.

Crankshaft

Meanwhile, across town and ten years earlier, the brownie that defies the laws of God and man at least left the drat room.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which a rising hero makes a tactical error. (August 9, 1929)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange (now featuring a pro and a con)

Your kids probably won't care. Unless you're in Nancy.

Pros and Cons

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Slammy posted:

Life In Hell

I love Life in Hell, thank you for posting it. It's the best thing Matt Groening's ever done.

Pooch Café

So if this follows the plot of The Terminator, is that dog going to end up siring Poncho's puppies?

Ballard Street

Plugger Minecraft.

Lost Side of Suburbia

It's a shame that part of the sequence is in monochrome. The lighting could have been really interesting.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

And a little something I've missed reading, so here's everything since Monday:
The Phantom

The fact that Mandrake is cameoing in traditional Mandrake form is merely a coincidence, I assure you.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Wow. Ew. Ugh. I have so many unpleasant feelings from this I am having trouble expressing them.

Edit: Olive's face does a pretty good job.

Rex Morgan MD

"Ground Coffee" is code for weed.

Secret Agent X-9

It's the hydrochloric chemical test. He just said it, narrator. Try to pay better attention.

Apartment 3-G

BRRRRP

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 27 & 28, 1950)

Barnaby (June 4 & 5, 1942)

Nancy (February 10 & 11, 1943)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Mrs. Palmer's dialogue ghostwritten by Winsor McCay's actual ghost.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (February 10 & 11, 1943)

Eleven years later, this boy's obsession with size-based situational comedy completes his transmutation into a dog whose main attribute is that he is large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

BRRRRP

Women and three-year-olds: incapable of blowing their own noses.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

• Locked thread