Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Oh wow, I totally fell for that. I should have known better, no one actually plays Wildstar in the Wildstar thread(or in general).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

If it helps I thought it was a quote. :v:

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

Mayor McCheese posted:

If it helps I thought it was a quote. :v:

this is my favorite one in the link where they actually post the estimates

quote:

It never failed because of the hardcore raids or the challenge. That is completely bullshit.
It failed because it was full of bugs.
It failed because launch was a disaster, with weeks of crashing servers and unplayability.
It failed because the client optimization was nonexistent at worst, biased towards Intel cpus at best.
It failed because server optimization was terrible, with entire zones dying when more than 80 people tried to kill a world boss.
It failed because free one-way PvP to PvE server transfers completely killed off the population of PvP servers, leaving them empty, never to recover.
It failed because instanced PvP itself was unbalanced, unrewarding, and matchmaking was completely broken ("Have you SEEN warplots?").
It failed because F2P re-launch was a disaster, with weeks of crashing servers (sorry, mega-servers) and unplayability.
It failed because they promised monthly content updates then failed to deliver.
It failed because they promised quarterly content updates then failed to deliver.
It did not fail because of the challenging and engaging content it offered despite all this ! Dungeons were awesome, raid design was brilliant. Anyone who has gone through Datascape will tell you the same : this is one of the best raids ever made. The game might have been originally marketed with hardcore content as a selling point, but that's a thing they goddamn delivered on, and it was good.
There is a lot that Wildstar delivered on too, from the very start, that was never made for hardcore raiders : the entire housing system, expeditions, story instances, the hundreds of datacubes and lore entries spread throughout the world, etc.
Neither those, or dungeons, or raids, are the reason Wildstar failed.
permalinksaveparentreportgive goldREPLY

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

noELrunes posted:

This is the end for a whole genre to me. In my opinion WildStar is by far the best themepark mmo released after WoW. It has the best and most challenging pve content in decades. It has one of the best combat systems which is action/skill based and there is a ton of highly polished content. Its in my opinion the best F2P game on the market and should never ever face all these population / revenue problems. Instead it should have a healthy 6-7 digit playerbase. After WoW transforming into everything i hate about today's themeparks (starting with WotlK), wildstar is basically exactly what i always hoped and dreamed for wow to come back to. So in that sense, wildstar is some sort of WoW 2.0 and the best thing in years to me, and to a lot of other guys (especially older players that loved vanilla/tbc in wow and are now raiding in wildstar)
If Wildstar fails (again) and finally gets shotdown, it will mark the end of themepark mmo's for me. The shift in player mentality towards dumbed down, short session content full of conveniences is not the type of game i fell in love with so many years ago. So all good things have to end sometime and for me its the moment when wildstar shuts down its servers. There is no point in jumping on the next hype train for another theme park (especially a pve focused one), since the genre and its current playerbase has proven that there is little to no demand for the type of game i want and love.

I knew this was a quote but lol

I've played MMOs since loving EverQuest and I remember raiding in that piece of poo poo game, and WoW was an improvement but still absolute dogshit in terms of being fun and engaging content. I sincerely wonder what this guy does for a living cause I work 40 hours a week and even if I wanted to waste my time raiding nightly for hours on end I couldn't pull it off.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I'm just sad WildStar getting thrown on the trash heap that includes Defiance is gonna make developers even more gunshy when it comes to straying from the tired old fantasy formula to make a sci-fi MMO.

I want to waste my time and money in a sci-fi setting drat it. :(

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

noELrunes posted:

this is my favorite one in the link where they actually post the estimates

It isn't wrong. There were a lot of places where you could tell the devs actually gave a poo poo, and a lot of problems that basically arose due to NCsoft being cheap.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Anoia posted:

I'm just sad WildStar getting thrown on the trash heap that includes Defiance is gonna make developers even more gunshy when it comes to straying from the tired old fantasy formula to make a sci-fi MMO.

Wildstar was as much a sci-fi setting as The Burning Crusade was in WoW, though. I was really hoping for something other than rips from WoW zones, but not so much.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

RPZip posted:

Wildstar was as much a sci-fi setting as The Burning Crusade was in WoW, though. I was really hoping for something other than rips from WoW zones, but not so much.

I'm talking categorically. Anyone who doesn't know much about the project is just going to see that it was SciFi and failed miserably.

It was a disappointment on every level.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Anoia posted:

I'm talking categorically. Anyone who doesn't know much about the project is just going to see that it was SciFi and failed miserably.

Don't worry. Star Citizen will save sci fi pc gaming.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Anoia posted:

Yeah, that's fair.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

:shepface:

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

already bought hte $15k pack, I'm so excited for the hardcore space raiding in the pre-pre-alpha

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Thunderbro posted:

already bought hte $15k pack, I'm so excited for the hardcore space raiding in the pre-pre-alpha

"dude taunt the quasar off me TAUNT THE QUASAR OFF ME gently caress GET THE FUCKIN BLACK DWARF ADDS gently caress" - a literal twelve year old raid leader

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

noELrunes posted:

This is the end for a whole genre to me. In my opinion WildStar is by far the best themepark mmo released after WoW. It has the best and most challenging pve content in decades. It has one of the best combat systems which is action/skill based and there is a ton of highly polished content. Its in my opinion the best F2P game on the market and should never ever face all these population / revenue problems. Instead it should have a healthy 6-7 digit playerbase. After WoW transforming into everything i hate about today's themeparks (starting with WotlK), wildstar is basically exactly what i always hoped and dreamed for wow to come back to. So in that sense, wildstar is some sort of WoW 2.0 and the best thing in years to me, and to a lot of other guys (especially older players that loved vanilla/tbc in wow and are now raiding in wildstar)
If Wildstar fails (again) and finally gets shotdown, it will mark the end of themepark mmo's for me. The shift in player mentality towards dumbed down, short session content full of conveniences is not the type of game i fell in love with so many years ago. So all good things have to end sometime and for me its the moment when wildstar shuts down its servers. There is no point in jumping on the next hype train for another theme park (especially a pve focused one), since the genre and its current playerbase has proven that there is little to no demand for the type of game i want and love.

Source the quotes man.

People kept calling me a pessimist when I said I'd be shocked if this game is around for another two years.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 20, 2016

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I've now played this game for a few hours and I don't get it at all. The environments are polished enough but everything else is a confusing, unengaging mess. :iiam:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
That is pretty much how the game is. Did you see many other people running around the newbie area?

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

Source the quotes man.

People kept calling me a pessimist when I said I'd be shocked if this game is around for another two years.

I got a bit of a kick when they did thought it was an Original Post.

I tried to raid in this game and thought two hours on Tuesday and Thursday night was more than enough for this awful game. Apparently everyone else did too because everyone in the guild i was in quit.

I should find more Wildstar.txt because i haven't seen blinders on this bad before.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

If you want to see some magnificent blinders you can always warm your hands at the dumpster fire that is star citizen. Wildstar does have its share of those people, but they don't have that peak excitement and hype from a game not being out yet* so some of the logical backbending is really just awe inspiring.

*or ever

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Anoia posted:

Defiance was just so loving bad. I had some hopes for it thanks to RIFT, but god drat.

The most original sci-fi MMO I have played was Anarchy Online. I also did not like it.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

The Chairman posted:

The latest earnings forecast for NCsoft is out, and it's looking like the thread title is correct

lmao I went back to look at this so I could link it to a friend and I just noticed their Q4 2016 forecast for Wildstar is a big fat goose egg. I was so focused on the tiny numbers I didn't even register that NCSoft doesn't expect the game to make them any money.

ln206
Sep 29, 2014
This is really sad. I don't know it is true or not but I really liked the game. I hope that this is not true though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

John Dyne posted:

lmao I went back to look at this so I could link it to a friend and I just noticed their Q4 2016 forecast for Wildstar is a big fat goose egg. I was so focused on the tiny numbers I didn't even register that NCSoft doesn't expect the game to make them any money.

This is a bank speculating on on their possible future revenue. Still it says a lot that the bank expects them to make virtually no money by the end of the fiscal year.

Cyster post if you are all right, also how many people are left in the staff

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

I'm still here. Being sensible about things, of course; a game dev's life in this business is understanding that you probably shouldn't purchase a home or have nice furniture, lest you have to shift your life to another state in a week.

There haven't been any unreported layoffs or anything. We're still working on new things, fixing bugs, etc.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I still think Wildstar's at least okay, but I won't pretend I haven't been playing Project Gorgon instead of ever reaching WS endgame. :v: Will still be sorry to see it go if it does, it did have decent dress-up and housing, and sci-fi MMOs (with fun alien character options, not just humans in space) do deserve to be more common than they are.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This is a bank speculating on on their possible future revenue. Still it says a lot that the bank expects them to make virtually no money by the end of the fiscal year.

This bank has been on a slim margin of error too regarding their estimates.

But im sure the Chinese and steam release will save Wildstar.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

noELrunes posted:

But im sure the Chinese and steam release will save Wildstar.

Aren't there crazy idiots who love Wildstar who absolutely LOATHE the idea of a Steam release for the game for some disjointed reason? I remember it either coming up in this thread or the last one.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010

John Dyne posted:

Aren't there crazy idiots who love Wildstar

:yaycloud:

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Cyster posted:

I'm still here. Being sensible about things, of course; a game dev's life in this business is understanding that you probably shouldn't purchase a home or have nice furniture, lest you have to shift your life to another state in a week.

There haven't been any unreported layoffs or anything. We're still working on new things, fixing bugs, etc.

We are here for you Cyster :ohdear:

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
I bet at this point you can instantly silence anybody on the exec board of ncsoft by uttering power word: wildstar

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Thunderbro posted:

I bet at this point you can instantly silence anybody on the exec board of ncsoft by uttering power word: wildstar

I wonder if you get a global mute for mentioning it in other NCSoft games

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

John Dyne posted:

Aren't there crazy idiots who love Wildstar

I enjoy it, but then I have an attachment for games that have a good base yet still manage to be tragically hosed up. I still pine for Troika as a game studio.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I still think you're cool, Cyster.

Probably a candidate for sainthood for trying to keep this ship afloat, too.

Or something.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Anoia posted:

I'm surprised a ton of sci-fi games aren't nearing release because of all the money that went into Star Citizen preorders.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Unguided posted:

I'm surprised a ton of sci-fi games aren't nearing release because of all the money that went into Star Citizen preorders.

The only thing star citizen inspired developers to do is promise people the moon if they only pony up a ton of cash to develop it first.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Anoia posted:

I don't think peoples' overall takeaway is "oh, it's SciFi" but more, "oh, it's odious cartoon animals that can't stop spewing memes and the word cupcake"

also that it's just a poor quality toybox for weird grognards with way too much time on their hands. gently caress everyone else

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Cyster posted:

You're still the best thing about wild star Cyster. Keep fighting and call in some favors around the industry when it implodes.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did Wildstar at least have Christmas last month?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rorus Raz posted:

Did Wildstar at least have Christmas last month?

Their employees didn't since they didn't get paid.

Edit: Or was that another failed MMO?

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

jabro posted:

Their employees didn't since they didn't get paid.

Edit: Or was that another failed MMO?

That was Red 5. I am very thankful that I got paid this holiday season.

And yep, Winterfest went off pretty well, which I was happy about since it was my feature. Needed to do more load and scaling testing on the city event, but there's only so much I can do internally.

I was also happy because it meant I didn't get called into the office from another state during Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

John Dyne posted:

They're shutting down the game at the end of 3Q16.

• Locked thread