Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Tigren posted:

Well that answers that question. None of the models support additional RAM? Any idea of the ASUS Zenbooks support it?

Only the XPS 15 has expandable RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tigren posted:

Well that answers that question. None of the models support additional RAM? Any idea of the ASUS Zenbooks support it?

Yes, you can upgrade the RAM and SSD/HD in the Zenbooks except for the super thin ones like the UX305 or whatever the new one is.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Tigren posted:

Honestly its a great deal even with the lower ram. Very solid hardware.

Isko
May 20, 2008
So what exactly is the status on the XPS 15 right now? I saw some complaints earlier and I've been reading about Skylake issues. I need a new laptop for computer programming because my current Thinkpad t440s has started to act funny and I can't do without a laptop right now. So I was thinking of either really splurging on an XPS 15 or just getting a t450s or other new Thinkpad. Or should I hold out for a little longer for something else?

EDIT: My roommate has convinced me to wait a while for the new MacBook Pro to come out. I've never had a Mac before but I've been considering them. I already have a desktop computer for my windows needs so I can see the advantage of having another platform to work on. Right now I'm really desiring good build quality and support which Apple is known for. The only thing is the price. I would definitely get the 15 inch and that thing starts at $2k right now. But screw it, I might as well go all the way.

Isko fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 20, 2016

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

Isko posted:

So what exactly is the status on the XPS 15 right now? I saw some complaints earlier and I've been reading about Skylake issues. I need a new laptop for computer programming because my current Thinkpad t440s has started to act funny and I can't do without a laptop right now. So I was thinking of either really splurging on an XPS 15 or just getting a t450s or other new Thinkpad. Or should I hold out for a little longer for something else?

EDIT: My roommate has convinced me to wait a while for the new MacBook Pro to come out. I've never had a Mac before but I've been considering them. I already have a desktop computer for my windows needs so I can see the advantage of having another platform to work on. Right now I'm really desiring good build quality and support which Apple is known for. The only thing is the price. I would definitely get the 15 inch and that thing starts at $2k right now. But screw it, I might as well go all the way.

I bought the new XPS 15. It has a beautiful screen and a stupid fast SSD in it. But honestly, that's about it. I ended up returning it, because for the price point I just could not justify it. With only a 15" screen (really wanted the 17" real estate) and we are at the end of the GTX 960's viability, it just wasn't worth the price. Plus, there are Wifi/Bluetooth issues that all Dell's seem to deal with.

I ended up buying a used Razer Blade Pro instead, with almost identical specs (2 SSDs vice 1) for half the price. The only current trade off is the screen resolution...which isn't worth $1000 to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Solfrann posted:

The only current trade off is the screen resolution...

And the extra 2.5 lbs.

Solfrann
Dec 28, 2015

bull3964 posted:

And the extra 2.5 lbs.

The XPS 15 was definitely light for it's capability. I knew the 17" Razer would weigh more, but carrying it around I hardly notice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not trying to sound snarky and I'm glad you are happy with your machine. I'm just pointing out that responding to someone who is specifically looking at a new XPS 15 with something that's a completely different type of machine might be missing the mark of what the person was looking for.

The screen and the small weight and size is why you would be considering spending the premium on it. Otherwise, if you want the 960m, you could just buy the Inspiron i7559 and save a whole shitton of money.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Ok, after spending a couple hours looking online and going to Best Buy to at least touch some keyboards and play with laptops I think I can be much more specific in what I'm looking for.

I think I want 2 different laptops. 1 that has a keypad and 3 others that don't. The 1 with a keypad will be really nice for when I'm onsite and need to mess with a database or do lots of work, but right now I'm the only person managing those jobs, so I don't need it for every laptop and I think I'd rather get smaller and hopefully less expensive laptops than 15.6" for the other supervisors.

Things I'd like

1080 resolution
5th or 6th gen i5
8GB RAM (or 4GB, but easily upgradeable. Really easy)
120GB SSD (or has an easy to remove/replace HDD)
Decent trackpad and keyboard (I used some really garbage ones at Best Buy)

Not concerned with

Screen quality - We're mostly just looking at numbers.
Case durability - I don't want something that's crap, but we've been using Dell Vostros for almost a decade now and we haven't broken them and that's even with a few drops at about 4'. So unless things have gotten really bad since then I think we'll be ok with handling them.

Mostly what these laptops will be doing is running AlphaFive, a legacy program in virtual XP, a MySQL server, plus manipulating large files in Excel. One of the biggest time wasters at jobs is setting up and packing up. The faster the computer can boot, open all the programs, do what needs to be done, and shut down at the end the better.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

bull3964 posted:

Not trying to sound snarky and I'm glad you are happy with your machine. I'm just pointing out that responding to someone who is specifically looking at a new XPS 15 with something that's a completely different type of machine might be missing the mark of what the person was looking for.

The screen and the small weight and size is why you would be considering spending the premium on it. Otherwise, if you want the 960m, you could just buy the Inspiron i7559 and save a whole shitton of money.

Yeah, if you don't care about the portability of your laptop, a whole host of cheaper possibilities open up.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you only occasionally need a number pad, get the laptop without one and get an external USB numeric key pad.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a basic laptop that can stream, run a few YouTube tabs, and generally do web browser poo poo well, as well as run lower end steam stuff (Rogue Legacy, most sub 10 dollar games, MAAAAYYYYBE Rocket League at low settings) and run Microsoft office. I won't be moving it around too much, mostly from desk to bed to living room, so construction isn't a huge deal.

There anything sub $500 that goons would recommend or should I up my budget? Thinking the Asus X205TA but I'm a bit leery of the fact it's 200 bucks.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 21, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rocket League will play just fine on an HD4000 (which is in the 2012 x230)

Check out a refurb x230 or maybe x240 for $300-450

For new you can look at a previous gen (but still new) Asus UX305, it runs about $620 on Amazon.

The Asus X205 is a fine machine but it doesn't have the CPU to do what you need it to (for gaming. For everything else it would be fine if slightly anemic)

See my OP post about $640 being the new $500. It still holds true.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Unless you're in Canada, where $1000 is the new $640.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow you're not kidding - what the hell happened to your currency valuation over the last three years?

Also apparently the already really favorable exchange rate in Colombia appears to have gotten even better, time to plan my next trip :dance:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Woot has a ThinkPad Yoga 11E with a Celeron for $270 today.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Hadlock posted:

Wow you're not kidding - what the hell happened to your currency valuation over the last three years?
Oil happened. That's what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wilford Cutlery posted:

So thoughts on this for the following:

1) Netflix
2) Internet
3) word processing
4) games of any type? Steam maybe?
5) keyboard quality

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

HPL posted:

Oil happened. That's what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket.

Thanks Obam--err, Harper. :argh:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I got this for 590 open box after some haggling with best buy. I was happy with it at first, but after a couple of days it developed a problem with the keyboard. When I rotate the screen out of tablet mode the keys on the right side of the keyboard don't come up fully out of their recessed position. I have to push down firmly on the inter-key cover to get the keyboard to work at all, and even then the keys on the right have very little travel and only work 7/10 times I press them (some, like the right arrow key barely work at all). The laptop also won't close all the way on the right side because there is a raised button to the right of the delete key that isn't retracting. Clearing my stuff and returning or shipping to lenovo for repairs are both very unsatisfactory outcomes given my situation, but I haven't been able to find anything online about how to fix it. I'd greatly appreciate any input on the matter, if anyone has insight.

That said, the digitizer is great (drawing is really fun) and the machine feels fairly responsive.

I saw problems like that turning up at Lenovo forums a few times. Mine didn't do it, but I'm returning it today. I think Lenovo also botched the internal fan design quite hard, or maybe I got one with a broken 2nd fan maybe. But even with games like Diablo 3 at 720 on medium it would heat up on the right side over the intake grill like nuts and then the whole system would throttle down.
Even tried jury rigging my own cooling pad with fans blowing straight at the intake grills to no avail. Another problem was that it occasionally would hard lock during a reboot. Everything else was awesome though. I really loved the pen.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hadlock posted:

Rocket League will play just fine on an HD4000 (which is in the 2012 x230)

Check out a refurb x230 or maybe x240 for $300-450

For new you can look at a previous gen (but still new) Asus UX305, it runs about $620 on Amazon.

The Asus X205 is a fine machine but it doesn't have the CPU to do what you need it to (for gaming. For everything else it would be fine if slightly anemic)

See my OP post about $640 being the new $500. It still holds true.

You can get a Latitude E6230 refurb (which is Dell's X230) for $225 on Newegg if you're looking for a small Ivy Bridge machine. I got one of these last week and it's not bad at all, 3 pounds and easy access to memory/HD/WLAN for upgrades.

Be careful to make sure that it's Ivy if you do this though because Sandy Bridge models exist too and there's actually a nontrivial difference in the graphics ability if I recall correctly.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 21, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eletriarnation posted:

You can get a Latitude E6230 refurb (which is Dell's X230) for $225 on Newegg if you're looking for a small Ivy Bridge machine. I got one of these last week and it's not bad at all, 3 pounds and easy access to memory/HD/WLAN for upgrades.

Be careful to make sure that it's Ivy if you do this though because Sandy Bridge models exist too and there's actually a nontrivial difference in the graphics ability if I recall correctly.

Did you find one with higher than a 1366x768 screen? I saw a ton of $200 or less E6230s on dell's refurbished site today, but every single one had that super low res scree. I don't even want 1080p, just 1440x900 at least.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Twerk from Home posted:

Did you find one with higher than a 1366x768 screen? I saw a ton of $200 or less E6230s on dell's refurbished site today, but every single one had that super low res scree. I don't even want 1080p, just 1440x900 at least.

No, unfortunately. I think that's the only option. I was tempted to splurge for an XPS 13 because I'd also really like to have a 1080p screen, but when I saw the 6230 for $200 I decided to give it a try.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I just read up on some reviews for this model, DO you cats think this is a woot worth biting on?
I'm most probably just doing general browsing, no games, watching video, and making use of it's hdmi output.

Is the flipover touchscreen feature a gimmick or a handy/usable feature?
woot is temping me. My desktop is down (has been) and i'd like a simple system to use, borrowed old MBP is p slow/clogged down.
Also it's purported ruggedness features are a plus...

edit: http://www.woot.com/?ref=w_sh_lgo for lazy folk

mem
Sep 1, 2005
This is a long shot, but I recently purchased a MSI gt72 with the desktop gtx 980 and while it's a great laptop the included power supply does not work with my inverter on my truck (long haul truck driver). I have a rigmaster apu and the inverter is a 1500 watt cobra cpi 1575. I didn't even consider this being an issue as I know tons of guys that run laptops and even desktop gaming rigs on these inverters, but I believe the issue is electric noise due to the output being a modified sine wave.

Is it possible to get an aftermarket power supply that maybe has a better filter and will work with this laptop and inverter? I'm not sure my company will let me install a different inverter that outputs pure sine wave...and right now I have a $3,000 paperweight. I'm on the road for months at a time so this would be my primary use case.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

I saw problems like that turning up at Lenovo forums a few times. Mine didn't do it, but I'm returning it today. I think Lenovo also botched the internal fan design quite hard, or maybe I got one with a broken 2nd fan maybe. But even with games like Diablo 3 at 720 on medium it would heat up on the right side over the intake grill like nuts and then the whole system would throttle down.
Even tried jury rigging my own cooling pad with fans blowing straight at the intake grills to no avail. Another problem was that it occasionally would hard lock during a reboot. Everything else was awesome though. I really loved the pen.

Yeah I haven't gotten around to returning mine yet, I plan to on Tuesday when we've dug out from under the snow. Loving the pen/digitizer accuracy and everything is great except the busted keyboard (felt nice while it lasted), but my spider-sense is going haywire about quality control issues so it's probably going back. Did you find an easy way to restore to factory defaults?

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx
Just bought a mid 2012 MBP for 350$, put a 850 EVO + 8GB RAM from my previous laptop in. My first Apple product, but man that build quality is amazing. I tore the bottom off quite a few laptops, but I like the rigidity of this one better than i.e., a x220.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

mem posted:

This is a long shot, but I recently purchased a MSI gt72 with the desktop gtx 980 and while it's a great laptop the included power supply does not work with my inverter on my truck (long haul truck driver). I have a rigmaster apu and the inverter is a 1500 watt cobra cpi 1575. I didn't even consider this being an issue as I know tons of guys that run laptops and even desktop gaming rigs on these inverters, but I believe the issue is electric noise due to the output being a modified sine wave.

Is it possible to get an aftermarket power supply that maybe has a better filter and will work with this laptop and inverter? I'm not sure my company will let me install a different inverter that outputs pure sine wave...and right now I have a $3,000 paperweight. I'm on the road for months at a time so this would be my primary use case.

Can't speak about that, but wouldn't it be much easier/cheaper just to get a decent 300W inverter that can plug into your lighter or something?

Comrade_Canada
Jan 24, 2014

finally received and had a change to play with the Latitude e7450 (got it as an off lease), and i must say Im pretty impressed by the stellar build quality, weight and battery life (around 8-9 hours of office work), compared to my older Y50.
Screen is excellent (mine ended up having a Samsung PLS FHD screen), and the keyboard is actually pretty good with better key travel than the Y50, and it doesnt have a crappy red keys and backlight (which look weird in an office)
The only downside is that the trackpoint could be better like on a Thinkpad, and most of the parts are on the rear of the machine (save one USB3 and a Sound Port)

specs
i7-5600u
8gb ram
256gb ssd
Samsung PLS 1080p screen
Nvidia 840m
54whr battery

mem
Sep 1, 2005

slidebite posted:

Can't speak about that, but wouldn't it be much easier/cheaper just to get a decent 300W inverter that can plug into your lighter or something?

Notebook requires 19.5V to function properly and I don't want to burn to death in my truck. Think I found the solution though, get a UPS that works off dirty power like generators that outputs a sine wave. Hopefully there's no issue running battery -> inverter -> battery -> inverter other than being inefficient. Sounds like this is a fairly common thing in countries where the power grid is not very reliable.

I'm really suprised it didn't work, I had used my surface pro 3 off the inverter for like a year with no issues.

Anyone considering the gt72, it really is the tits for a gaming laptop. Build construction and all was much better than I expected reading through reviews, the only nit I have is some minor backlight bleeding in a couple of corners on the screen, only noticeable on black screens.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

mem posted:

Notebook requires 19.5V to function properly and I don't want to burn to death in my truck. Think I found the solution though, get a UPS that works off dirty power like generators that outputs a sine wave. Hopefully there's no issue running battery -> inverter -> battery -> inverter other than being inefficient. Sounds like this is a fairly common thing in countries where the power grid is not very reliable.

I'm really suprised it didn't work, I had used my surface pro 3 off the inverter for like a year with no issues.

Anyone considering the gt72, it really is the tits for a gaming laptop. Build construction and all was much better than I expected reading through reviews, the only nit I have is some minor backlight bleeding in a couple of corners on the screen, only noticeable on black screens.
Sure, it's 19V DC out of the power supply, but you're feeding it AC right? I mean, that's the whole purpose of the inverter in the first place or am I missing what you're saying?

Why wouldn't a decent 12V-120V inverter with at least 300W work?

I do agree with the GT72, it's a fantastic power laptop if you can live with the size of it.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I wasn't very good in school which is why I'm driving a truck for a living, ha. I thought it would be overload for the much smaller connections going to the 12v jacks in the truck. The wire connected to my inverter is much larger. Perhaps that would work as well. I'll look at prices between the two next time I can swing by a store.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Got a ThinkPad X250 50% off in the Lenovo/B&N student sale earlier this week. Gotta thank Hadlock for the link in the OP.

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012
I recently purchased a xps 15 and I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a screen protector? I worry my kids will scratch it up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The XPS15 has a gorilla glass screen, shouldn't be possible to scratch it unless they go at it with your keys and/or knife for an extended period of time. Then again I don't have kids, so..

at the date posted:

Got a ThinkPad X250 50% off in the Lenovo/B&N student sale earlier this week. Gotta thank Hadlock for the link in the OP.

:cheers:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Can someone please help me to understand what occurred to make people believe that Windows causes laptops to overheat, thus Mac is the only way to go?

When I recommend people $<500 laptops for word processing and browsing, they act like I'm the devil.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think PC laptops in that price range genuinely used to suck at one point. I'm talking back when it was like Pentium 4 mobile days and they ran really hot.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm loving mint cinnamon on my x220. Boots in about 15 seconds and seems pretty nice in general. Fine for my needs, and I get to keep using this keyboard a while longer...

I'd still love a digitiser and a much lighter chassis but I can wait.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Speaking of heat, I notice all the laptops with Nvidia's 980 desktop GPU have been 10 pound monsters. Is it just not physically possible to keep a desktop GPU cool in anything smaller? A couple people (including myself) had asked about VR-ready laptops, and that was the only thing that would meet Oculus specifications.

There is the 980MX due out this summer, but the specs look like a pretty minor improvement over the 980M:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-gtx-980mx-970mx/

Oh well, my main interest in VR has been for stereoscopic FPV drone flying, which shouldn't need much GPU power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Chas McGill posted:

I'm loving mint cinnamon on my x220. Boots in about 15 seconds and seems pretty nice in general. Fine for my needs, and I get to keep using this keyboard a while longer...

I'd still love a digitiser and a much lighter chassis but I can wait.

If you still need Window stuff occasionally, install VirtualBox or virt-manager and you'll be able to install Windows in a virtual machine.