Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

marioinblack posted:

9. Shakespeare in Love - 29 Oct 2015 - The most recent best picture I haven't seen.

Next one for you.

Invasion of Astro-Monster - The Godzilla series so far has been intriguing because the stories generally work no matter if he's the villain, hero or neutral party. This one has the best "small world" plot yet and it could've been a film even without the "big world" characters as there's a lot of alien invasion/saucer stuff. OK, it's not quite Forbidden Planet or 2001: A Space Odyssey but it's not trash.

In the 1950s and 1960s you can feel the excitement as the countries were racing to try to reach the moon and other planets. A new planet has just been discovered and two astronauts are sent to make contact. When there they realize the Planet X inhabitants need to borrow Monster 1 and Monster 2 (Godzilla and Rodan) as Monster 0 (King Ghidorah) has destroyed their planet. In return they will give humans the cure to all cancers.

Actually the aliens from Planet X are dastardly pinheads who wear diving suits and desire to take over Earth and its resources. They do a standard double cross and renege on the cancer cure.

-There are good special effects as usual (the nuclear bubble transport scene in particular).

-The fight between Godzilla/Rodan vs. King Ghidorah was a little lackluster.

-In the end, as usual, Godzilla and Rodan disappear into the water while King Ghidorah flies off.

Also watched:

Swept Away - In August 1972 The Eagles released a song called Witchy Woman. In October 1975 The Electric Light Orchestra released something titled Evil Woman. In April 1976 Cliff Richard released a track named Devil Woman. And yet one can listen to all three of these tracks in succession and only get a taste of the ridiculous character Madonna plays.

I think it would've worked better if Amber (Madonna) and Giuseppe (Adriano Giannini) both seriously toned down their performances. Subtlety is absent as Amber is a giant sneering crab for the first hour of the film. The character only makes sense if you believe she's suffering from a serious pathological disorder or on the cusp of a nervous breakdown.

As usual with a panned film things tend to go off the rails (most people do NOT like hard tonal/genre changes in films). Three distinct movements that most viewers will find jarring-- The first half hour felt most similar in style to other Guy Ritchie films I've seen: an episode of The Real Housewives of...[insert city here]. Wealthy snobs on a boat taking a Mediterranean cruise. Lots of class humor.

Second half hour: Amber and Giuseppe stuck on an island. Fake, tit for tat BS commences, dreadfully tedious and stupid arguments, verbal abuse etc. Then Giuseppe finally starts pimp slapping Amber HARD. So that's a full hour that felt off base.

In the final twenty minutes things took an interesting and unexpected turn as the two stranded fall in love and begin a passionate love affair. But then a boat shows up and leaves us with a surprising but unsatisfying ending.

I suppose I should watch the 1974 version.

Procrastination (201 completed):

#199 Pumpkinhead - I may never look at pumpkins the same way again. 10/9/15

#202 Gangs of Wasseypur - Part 1 - This one keeps jumping on and off the IMDb 250. 11/5/15

#204 Manila in the Claws of Light - Heard this was good. 12/8/15

#205 Go For it! India AKA Chak De! India - The quest to complete the IMDb 250 never ends. I haven't seen too many field hockey films. 12/23/15

new #206 Inside Out - On the IMDb top 250. Something about emotions? 1/2/16

new #207 Pierrot the Madman AKA Pierrot le Fou - The only film in the TSPDT top 75 I haven't seen. 1/2/16

James Bond versus Godzilla:

The Spy Who Loved Me - I've heard this was shot well. I must be really sick of Bond. 12/22/15

Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Picture (22/37 completed):

1994 Color of Night - I haven't heard much about this. 9/6/15

1993 Indecent Proposal - A rich man offers your wife $1,000,000 American dollars for a one night tryst. What do you do? 10/9/15

1992 Shining Through - Something about WWII. 11/30/15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

1994 Color of Night - I haven't heard much about this. 9/6/15

Because it's your oldest one.... enjoy Bruce!

Missing
Jack Lemmon gives an impeccably grounded (to steal from marioinblack) performance as a US businessman father Ed Horman who travels 1800 miles to Chile in search of his missing son Charlie (John Shea). The opening 20-25 minutes didn't hold much weight, but once the search for Charlie begins, Missing is truly captivating and has more than a couple moments that really struck a chord and hit hard - in large part to Lemmon's talents and presence. If I had more background knowledge, I may have related on a greater level, but this is still a great watch (as tough as it can be).

LIST
American Hustle (2015.10.19) - I'll replace Fincher's 'Dragon Tattoo with another lengthy modern film I'll never watch... unless I'm forced to here.

American Movie (2016.01.01) - I'll add a documentary to start the new year off, and it's one I've been meaning to see for years.

Children of Paradise (2015.10.12) - here's yet another 3hr film I'll continue to put off until I get forced to watch it.

Cloud Atlas (2016.01.01) - I'll add another newer, longer film that I won't watch unless I post it here.

The Fountain (2015.07.12) - I've noticed this come up way too many times, plus a good friend telling me to watch it for years now.

Gilda (2015.11.27) - I'll replace an early Rita Hayworth film with her most iconic.

Howl's Moving Castle **NEW** (2016.01.02) - adding an animated film, which is also near the top of films I've yet to see on the IMDB 250 list

Leaving Las Vegas (2015.10.18) - I claim to be a big Nic Cage supporter, yet his Oscar-winner remains a blindspot. How shameful, right?

Mister Roberts (2015.10.24) - James Cagney, Henry Fonda, William Powell, and Jack Lemmon ..... Why I haven't watched this yet is beyond me.

That Obscure Object of Desire **OLDEST** (2015.04.07) - this seems way too interesting and way too important to have not seen by now.

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), [Total:115]

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 4, 2016

Decever
Dec 26, 2015

friendo55 posted:

Howl's Moving Castle **NEW** (2016.01.02) - adding an animated film, which is also near the top of films I've yet to see on the IMDB 250 list

This is my favorite Ghibli film, hope you like it!

I was given The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. First off I was really surprised by the tone of the movie it was much grittier than I could have thought. I had little information about this movie except that it was directed by Sergio Leone, starred Clint Eastwood had a soundtrack from Ennio Morricone and was a "spaghetti" western. Although these points would probably hint at the movie's tone for someone better acquainted than me to the genre, I was clueless. This doesn't mean I disliked the movie quite the contrary I really enjoyed it. The film had an amazing sense of suspence and tention to it. And the three title characters were all very interesting to follow in their own specific way.

This was a great movie and Ennio Morricone's legendary soundtrack really elevated the material. This soundtrack ranks toe to toe with my favorite Morricone soundtrack Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion.

The Conformist (1970) - All I know about this is that it's got really good cinematography and it stars Jean-Louis Trintignant in another of his Italian speaking roles as a Fascist secret agent.

Vertigo (1958) - Classic Hitchcock I've managed not to watch somehow.

Tabu (2012) - I don't know much about this one, the New Yorker's film critic recommended it and it looked interesting.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) - Kitsch looking sci fi from the 60s, interesting looking.

Pickpocket (1959) - It's about an unrepentant pickpocket and how his habit ruins his life... I think?

Heat (1995) - I like heist movies, this is, from what I've heard, a really good one.

El Topo (1970) - A western made by Alejandro Jodorowsky. It looks insane.

Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets (1971) - Japanese experimental movie, from what I've seen I honestly can't describe what it's about but wikipedia says it's a "metaphor for Japan's descent into materialism".

Le Silence de la Mer (1947) - Melville's first feature length movie, I love later Melville films Le Samourai is among my favorites. (Added 12/30/2015)

Day for Night (La Nuit Américaine) (1973) - Francois Truffaut's loveletter to the chaotic process of film making. (Added 01/04/2015)

Watched: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Youth of the Beast

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hello, I'm a first timer in this thread.

Decever, very tough choice but you just HAVE to watch Vertigo. It's simply a crime you haven't seen it yet.

Speaking of the crime of not seeing classic films, here are the films I haven't seen:

L.A. Confidential
The Thin Red Line
Memories of Murder
This is Spinal Tap
Citizen Kane
Chinatown
Escape from New York
Boogie Nights
Das Boot
The Searchers

My tidbit for all of them is that these have all been on my backlog for ages and my New Years resolution is to watch more classic films.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Hello, I'm a first timer in this thread.

My tidbit for all of them is that these have all been on my backlog for ages and my New Years resolution is to watch more classic films.

Welcome to the thread!

Das Boot is one I always see on lists but never hear discussed. It's just completely off my radar and never been a priority. I should change that.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

friendo55 posted:

Welcome to the thread!

Das Boot is one I always see on lists but never hear discussed. It's just completely off my radar and never been a priority. I should change that.

Does this count as a pick? I mean you didn't supply a review or watchlist or anything :3:

Das Boot is probably the entry I'm least excited to watch. I heard Wolfgang Peterson originally wanted the movie to be 4 or 5 hours long and the studio talked him down to under 2 1/2. So I have my reservations about it, but I'm sure it's a classic for a reason.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Does this count as a pick? I mean you didn't supply a review or watchlist or anything :3:

Sorry, no this doesn't count. I still need to watch my film first [Howl's Moving Castle].
Just making conversation, is all.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Das Boot is probably the entry I'm least excited to watch. I heard Wolfgang Peterson originally wanted the movie to be 4 or 5 hours long and the studio talked him down to under 2 1/2. So I have my reservations about it, but I'm sure it's a classic for a reason.

Anectdotally speaking, my brother was 12 at the time when he saw it in a theater with my uncle, and he loved it. (He wasn't a film buff either.) I remember very little of the movie, other than I remember it was good, and I don't recall it being a long slog.

(Not a pick either, I still have to watch Casablanca.)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Keep in mind, there are three different versions of Das Boot. The original theatrical cut, which is about two and a half hours long, the director's cut, which is an hour longer, and the TV version, which runs for nearly five hours. All three are good, but I'd recommend the director's cut for a first-time viewer and the TV version to anyone who wants to rewatch the film.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

SciFiDownBeat posted:

This is Spinal Tap
Oh my goodness, I've seen most of these movies. And instead of giving you the thought provoking masterpieces, I'll give you one of my favorite comedy films ever.

Shakespeare in Love is a neat little film. I really only knew that Judi Dench was Elizabeth in it, and she does do a fantastic job (although I expected her to get more screentime but alas). The set design is really cool and there's a lot of fun performances by people you can tell are stage actors or were at one point. It's kind of underwhelming overall, but I really liked most of the parts to it. The sum of the parts didn't equal what it probably should've been. I did like the parallels of the story being in Shakespearian style. Overall a fine movie, obviously not a strong Best Picture, but that shouldn't detract from the movie itself.

New List:

1. Hotel Rwanda - 1 Oct 2015 - We can't have all our movies be upbeat.

2. Papillon - 15 Oct 2015 - Hoffman and McQueen, what's not to like.

3. The Magnificent Seven - 3 Nov 2015 - We're getting a remake here soon, so might as well watch the original (well not really original).

4. La Dolce Vita - 19 Oct 2015 - I've been looking through some lists of great movies and directors, and I realize I've never seen a Fellini film. I switched 8 1/2 to this due to suggestion.

5. Das Boot - 3 Oct 2015 - Highest rated imdb movie I've yet to see. I assume it's something to do with war and isolation.

6. Citizenfour - 7 Oct 2015 - Chili just watched it, and I've heard great things about it. I also work at Fort Meade so expect a bit of bias going into it.

7. Requiem for a Dream - 2 Jan 2016 - Drugs are bad.

Best Picture Bonanza (61/88)

8. Out of Africa - 10 Dec 2015 - I'm just so tired of all this traffic, I just can't wait until I can get Out of Africa

9. The English Patient - 6 Jan 2016 - The most recent best picture I haven't seen. Insert Seinfeld joke here.

10. West Side Story - 29 Dec 2015 - Musical gang fighting.

Watched Count 137: Last 5 - The Last Emperor, Oliver!, All About Eve, Strangers on a Train, Shakespeare in Love

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Marioinblack, watch Hotel Rwanda. I admittedly haven't watched it since high school history class and my memory is pretty fuzzy, but I remember quite enjoying it regardless.

Finally got around to watching Full Metal Jacket a few days ago, but haven't been able to do the write up until now. Structurally, the film is essentially two shorter films tied together through a hanful of characters and their shared exploration on the effect of war on the human psyche. The first and more iconic half at boot camp focuses on struggling recruit Lawrence (nicknamed Pyle), and Sergeant Hartman's attempts to shape him into a model soldier alongside the rest of his platoon, and eventually does so at the cost of his sanity. One of the things that stands out to me about this sequence is the way that Pyle's emotional state throughout much of this sequence specifically mirrors the audiences' itself; initially laughing at Seargent Hartman's routine in the opening sequence as much of the audience might be inclined to, followed by the exhaustion of boot camp life, the joy of seeing him improve, and finally the horror of Hartman deliberately turning his own men against him, leading to a particularly unsettling scene where Pyle is beaten in his sleep by the rest of his squadmates. It is only after this scene when the emotional connection to Pyle is cut, his sanity gone and his humanity broken.

The second half at Vietnam, though not quite as consistently gripping as the first half (though still very strong, don't get me wrong), is just as inherent to the film's central themes of of wars' impact on humanity. This segment focuses on Private Joker (introduced in the first segment), who in his stationing as a military journalist in Vietnam, is tasked with accompanying the platoon of one of his former campmates. In contrast to Joker, the squad he is forced act alongside is characterized deplorably, having had the war squeeze any sense of compassion out of them, and in its' place a sense of almost childlike glee at the acts they have to perform. Naturally, everything goes to poo poo when the squad is lured into an ambush, leading to the films' chilling ending where Joker is forced to make the choice to mercy kill the sniper who wiped out several members of his own squad, leading Joker to simultaneously recognize the atrocities committed while also embracing his newfound lack of fear having gone through and survived it.

I also watched Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones (and Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith) in the leadup to The Force Awakens. Attack of the Clones was...well...really bad. The acting and direction was flat, the overemphasis on CGI made the world feel sterile and lifeless, the film had a real problem of telling rather than showing, and the romantic chemistry was some of the worst I've ever seen. All of this is in service of a film that feels very distinctly like the middle chapter of a larger narrative and seems more interested in setting up things for the final act than telling an interesting narrative of its' own. Revenge of the Sith on the other hand worked better for me. Though not great and certainly not completely absent of the faults plaguing the prequel trilogy, benefits from having a stronger overall narrative than the previous two films (albeit one lacking in any real surprises that can be largely inferred by the backstory presented by the original trilogy).

1. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

2. A Hard Day's Night - I love The Beatles but have only seen Yellow Submarine as far as their films are concerned. This one in particular seems especially well regarded.

3. Requiem for a Dream - A fun-filled romp for the whole family!

4. Plan 9 From Outer Space - The B-movie to define all B-movies?

5. Whiplash - One of my best friends considers this his favourite film of 2014, and J.K. Simmons generally hasn't steered me wrong in the past.

6. UHF - I loving love Weird Al Yankovic, so I'm probably a bit overdue to give this a watch. Plus I've been on a bit of a kick as of late after seeing him live a few days months ago.

7. A Nightmare on Elm Street - Man, he sure says bitch a lot.

8. Porco Rosso - Starting to get into the Miyazaki material that I really don't know a whole lot about going in.

9. The Shining - One of those movies that I never got around to watching in its' entirety despite it being so entrenched in pop culture.

10. Mad Max: Fury Road - Meant to see this when it was in theatres over the summer but never got around to it. Alternatively, I haven't watched any of the earlier Mad Max films either, so if you think Fury Road is better appreciated having watched any of those first, feel free to recommend one of those instead.

Deshamed (51): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Fantasia, Kill Bill, The Iron Giant, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, The Avengers, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Zombieland, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club, 21 Jump Street, The Godfather, Jackie Brown, Citizen Kane, Pink Floyd - The Wall, Birdman, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Back to the Future: Part II, Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace, Zodiac, Princess Mononoke, The Godfather Part II, Halloween, Spirited Away, Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones, Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, Full Metal Jacket

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

marioinblack posted:

Oh my goodness, I've seen most of these movies. And instead of giving you the thought provoking masterpieces, I'll give you one of my favorite comedy films ever.

Just watched it. Absolutely fantastic, kept me laughing all the way through. I might go back and listen to the soundtrack later. Fran Drescher was a nice surprise. Don't know what to say beyond that, except it's highly recommended.

I also watched Bone Tomahawk beforehand. Went in (almost) blind and I was floored. Amazing film. Nails the feel of a western, and the last act was certainly unforgettable. The more I see of Patrick Wilson the more I like. Kurt Russell is always great. The big surprise here was Matthew Fox's performance; his character was very subtly developed and the actor played him quite well.

L.A. Confidential
The Thin Red Line
Memories of Murder
This is Spinal Tap The Graduate
Citizen Kane
Chinatown
Escape from New York
Boogie Nights
Das Boot
The Searchers

Trash Boat, watch Kubrick's The Shining. I would've recommended Mad Max: Fury Road but I haven't seen the original trilogy so I'm not qualified to say whether you ought to watch those first. I enjoyed Fury Road all the same.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I mean, Fury Road stands plenty tall on its own and there isn't any sort of deep Mad Max mythology that you have to know - all of the movies can be watched without any prior knowledge of any of the others. However, the original three movies are all varying levels of great, and I know I appreciated having seen them going into Fury Road for the "history" of the series, as it were. (In a film history sense, not a story-history one.)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Go watch Citizen Kane, it's as good as you've heard it is.

The 400 Blows was a beautiful film. My career as a social worker has me in the often difficult position of working with kids like Antoine. Films that look to explore his journey are often heavy-handed and unfair. We see kids beaten senseless, or abused in all kinds of fashions that will, of course, ruing a child. The truth of the matter is, all it takes for a kid to end up like Antoine does is for people to fail to care. Throughout the film every adult is given a chance to be the hero that Antoine needs. No one steps up. This is how a life is ruined.

Equally impressive was the film's presentation, Antoine was handled very delicately. We learn about him, about his potential, not through the dialouge but through his actions and what we see. He comes home and cleans up himself, we see his many reflections in the mirror contrasted only moments later with his mother's singular reflection that is focused solely on her vanity. Her focus is exclusively on herself.

After suffocating in Antoine's apartment, we eventually witness a dramatic shift when he his staying with his friend Rene. Here, again due to wonderful presentation, we finally get a chance to breathe. The camera is placed from a comfortable height and the characters finally get to move. But of course, this is only a fleeting victory, until the very end of the film, which is perhaps the most evocative ending I've witnessed in quite some time.

It takes me a long time to get psyched up to watch a film as old as this. It's a silly prejudice, and I've explored it here before, so I won't get into it now. I will say that I stumbled up Tony Zhou's, Every Frame A Painting channel on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCjFqcJQXGZ6T6sxyFB-5i6A) and he's gotten me way more interested in approaching film as a visual playground. This was a perfect movie to watch following his many video essays. There's just a lot of meat on the bone here. I worry that I had not gone into this film with that kind of mindset, I may have missed an awful lot. I may have to go back and check in on some of the older films I dismissed. I'm thinking La Dolce Vita may be one of them.

9.5/10

1. Blue Ruin - Don't know much about this, heard it's exciting and it's a recent film I missed.

2. Defending Your Life- Heard it's good and it has a pretty good cast.

3. Certified Copy - Heard about this director for the first time from this thread a few pages back. Let's see how it goes!

4. *NEW*We Need To Talk About Kevin *NEW* - Chili needs to see a film about Kevin?

5. The Lady And The Tramp - It occurred to me somewhat recently that I have a kinda hole in my old school Disney game. Let's get that fixed.

6. :ghost: Event Horizon :ghost: - I think this is a goon favorite, and Halloween is right around the corner!

7. Ordinary People - I'm keeping the number 7 slot open for movies that my mom picks for me. After I talked with her about how much I liked Kramer vs. Kramer, this was her next pick for me.

8. Deconstructing Harry - More Woody please!

9. Beasts Of The Southern Wild - All I know is that the kid is supposed to be great.

10. Ashes and Diamonds - There was some kind of list of famous director's favorite movies. A lot of directors I liked listed this and I had never heard of it. Let's go!

121 Total De-Shamed!

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10, The Fly 9/10, Time Bandits 6/10, Before Sunrise 6.5, The Buddy Holly Story 7/10, Pleasantville 7/10, The Rules of the Game 6/10, Senna 7.5/10, Kiki's Delivery Service 8/10, Gojira 9/10, The Blues Brothers 5/10, Notorious 7/10, Little Shop of Horrors 9/10 , The Last Starfighter 7/10, Rebel Without A Cause 8.5/10, Sherlock Jr. 7.5/10, Intolerable Cruelty, 9/10, The Ladykillers 9/10, Spring Breakers 7.5/10, Touch of Evil 8/10, The Purple Rose of Cairo, 9/10, My Cousin Vinny 7/10, Galaxy Quest 8/10, First Blood, 9/10, Arsenic and Old Lace, 7/10, Mad Max 2, 9/10, The Raid: Redemption, 8/10, Kramer vs. Kramer 9.5/10, Nightcrawler 10/10, Frank 9/10, Strangers On A Train 8/10 , Wild Strawberries 7.5/10, They Came Together 5.5/10, The Squid and the Whale, 10/10, Poolhall Junkies 1/10, Citizenfour 10/10, The 400 Blows 9.5/10

Chili fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 9, 2016

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Chili posted:

6. :ghost: Event Horizon :ghost: - I think this is a goon favorite, and Halloween is right around the corner!
I'm sure you'll find it around some corner.

Hotel Rwanda is pretty drat depressing. Overall anything pertaining to that event is going to be heartbreaking, but they do a really good job making sure you feel the despair of everything around the Rwandan genocide. Lots of good performances all around including a good curmudgeony Nick Nolte role. It's hard to ultimately rate movies like these because the topic is so sensitive. It does its job effectively, and I feel like poo poo just thinking about it. Fantastic stuff from Don Cheadle too.

New List:

1. Casino - 9 Jan 2016 - I loved Goodfellas and liked everything I've seen from Scorsese.

3. The Magnificent Seven - 3 Nov 2015 - We're getting a remake here soon, so might as well watch the original (well not really original).

4. La Dolce Vita - 19 Oct 2015 - I've been looking through some lists of great movies and directors, and I realize I've never seen a Fellini film. I switched 8 1/2 to this due to suggestion.

5. Das Boot - 3 Oct 2015 - Highest rated imdb movie I've yet to see. I assume it's something to do with war and isolation.

6. Citizenfour - 7 Oct 2015 - Chili just watched it, and I've heard great things about it. I also work at Fort Meade so expect a bit of bias going into it.

8. Out of Africa - 10 Dec 2015 - I'm just so tired of all this traffic, I just can't wait until I can get Out of Africa

9. The English Patient - 6 Jan 2016 - The most recent best picture I haven't seen. Insert Seinfeld joke here.

Watched Count 138: Last 5 - Oliver!, All About Eve, Strangers on a Train, Shakespeare in Love, Hotel Rwanda

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

omg I LOVE Tony Zhou's Every Frame A Painting. I keep thinking "I should contribute to his Patreon" and then I remember I haven't signed up and I get lazy and close the window

anyway I'll get to Citizen Kane soon

edit: they're remaking The Magnificent Seven? Why????

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The answer is almost always $$$. 1960 is long gone.

Chili posted:

I will say that I stumbled up Tony Zhou's, Every Frame A Painting channel on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCjFqcJQXGZ6T6sxyFB-5i6A)

Broken link!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

SciFiDownBeat posted:

omg I LOVE Tony Zhou's Every Frame A Painting. I keep thinking "I should contribute to his Patreon" and then I remember I haven't signed up and I get lazy and close the window

anyway I'll get to Citizen Kane soon

Magnificent Seven was itself a remake of The Seven Samurai, so it's hard to get indignant on its behalf.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

The answer is almost always $$$. 1960 is long gone.

Broken link!

Hm, well it's not letting me correct it, just go search for him on youtube if you haven't seen his stuff.

Decever
Dec 26, 2015

marioinblack posted:

Here you go. This is a great movie.

I watched Vertigo and I have to say it was excellent although I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as I did North by Northwest. It had a great plot and I liked James Steward even though it was visually obvious that he's 25 years older than Kim Novak making the romance angle a bit weird at times.
My favorite part of the film was the visuals, the movie was beautiful. During the entire movie I couldn't stop admiring the awesome colors brought by technicolor. And Hitchcock brings great and inventive shots as always.

But I have to say, that ending with the nun made me laugh. I was kinda expecting to see Tom Helmore dressed as a nun, but the reveal of her just being a regular nun scaring Kim Novak to her death was followed by the end of the movie so quickly it made it kind of comedic.

The Conformist (1970) - All I know about this is that it's got really good cinematography and it stars Jean-Louis Trintignant in another of his Italian speaking roles as a Fascist secret agent.

Tabu (2012) - I don't know much about this one, the New Yorker's film critic recommended it and it looked interesting.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) - Kitsch looking sci fi from the 60s, interesting looking.

Pickpocket (1959) - It's about an unrepentant pickpocket and how his habit ruins his life... I think?

Heat (1995) - I like heist movies, this is, from what I've heard, a really good one.

Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets (1971) - Japanese experimental movie, from what I've seen I honestly can't describe what it's about but wikipedia says it's a "metaphor for Japan's descent into materialism".

Le Silence de la Mer (1947) - Melville's first feature length movie, I love later Melville films Le Samourai is among my favorites. (Added 12/30/2015)

Day for Night (La Nuit Américaine) (1973) - Francois Truffaut's loveletter to the chaotic process of film making. (Added 01/04/2016)

Bigger Than Life (1956) - "The story of the handful of hope that became a fistful of hell!" (Added 01/10/2016)

Watched: Vertigo, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Youth of the Beast

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jurgan posted:

Magnificent Seven was itself a remake of The Seven Samurai, so it's hard to get indignant on its behalf.

Well I know that, but at some point down the remake chain you'd think they would just stop

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Decever, I'm giving you Heat, because I've recently rediscovered that Mann had some real good stuff also it's the only movie on your list I've seen

I was given The Sound of Music, which was a delightful treat. I was a little bit anxious because it was a 3-hour musical, but I knew Robert Wise would pull through. First off, the visuals. Jesus, this movie is beautiful. The outdoor panoramas, the lovely architecture, the use of color, the lighting, it's all wonderful. The soundtrack is, of course, the film's selling point, and it's also great. Catchy songs, and wonderful use of the themes to emphasize the current situation onscreen. The musical scenes are well done, too, and play from wildly energetic to subdued, depending on what sort of emotions the songs are expressing, and it's wonderful. The second half drags a bit, because most of the song bits recycle from the first half of the movie and the energy is toned down, but it's still good in its more personal way. I also have to mention how wonderful Julie Andrews is. She brings a lot of energy and life to her role, and really helps the movie out. I had a lot of fun watching this.

My list (sorted by time on my list, with longest at the top):

1) Prisoners - Heard a lot of good about this recent release, but don't really anything about it.

2) El Topo - Let's keep this Western train a-rollin with a Jodorowsky flick. That still counts, right?

3) The Descent - often regarded as one of the best horror movies of the past 10 years.

4) Thief - Mann's first full-length, and maybe his best? I already liked Manhunter

5) Paris, Texas - No clue what this one's about, I've just heard the name a bunch. And Harry Dean Stanton.

NEW 6) The Game - I really like David Fincher's stuff, let's see how his follow-up to Se7en is

Unshamed: Royal Tenenbaums, 8 1/2, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Pan's Labyrinth, Schindler's List, The Holy Mountain, Boogie Nights, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Exorcist, Days of Heaven, Inland Empire, The Hidden Fortress, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Naked Lunch, The Seventh Seal, Manhunter, Lolita, The Last Temptation of Christ, Sunset Boulevard, Once Upon a Time in the West, Suspiria, North by Northwest, Alien3, Badlands, Stagecoach, The Manchurian Candidate, L.A. Confidential, My Darling Clementine, Bringing Out the Dead, Starman, The Rules of the Game, Frankenstein, Malcolm X, Zardoz, Antichrist, The Sound of Music

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

4) Thief - Mann's first full-length, and maybe his best? I already liked Manhunter

This is a great movie. Give it a watch ASAP.

It's been a while! I finally watched Amour and it was really excellent. It was a tough watch, and I identified with it in a sense because I'm kind of watching an aging relative die from a distance...but there was a sweetness to it. Don't get me wrong, it's devastating and sad but it doesn't wallow in misery like it could have. It's not all just smothering the audience with dourness. I think it was a wise choice to follow a disjointed timeline. It was jarring to watch the health degradation, but the jumps showed the changes...and sometimes they aren't gradual. The pacing was great, too. It's a slow movie but it just takes its time and these scenes linger after it shuts off. This one sits. It's far less flashy than the other Haneke films I've seen...though Cache was much less flashy than Funny Games, so maybe this tone is more the norm. I'm in for more.

Okay, so I'm re-doing my list. It's been so long and I want to start fresh. I have some movies on my shelf and my Netflix queue that I could use a little boost to check out.

LIST O SHAME

1) Picnic at Hanging Rock - Almost watched this the other night...still in my PS4 in fact. I am really curious about it but keep putting it off.

2) Code Unknown - More Haneke. I love Juliette Binoche, too. Know nothing about it, but bought it blind when Criterion released it.

3) Day For Night - I need to watch more Truffaut.

4) Cobra Verde - This Herzog/Kinski box set won't watch itself!

5) Beauty and the Beast - The Cocteau version. I've only ever seen the Disney movie. This is supposed to be great, right?

6) State of Siege - I loved Z and really liked Missing. What else has Costa Gavras got to offer?

7) Volver - Almodovar...I've only seen one movie of his - All About My Mother - it was great! Why have I not watched any others?

8) The Duke of Burgundy - My girlfriend really likes this and tells me I need to watch it.

9) The Verdict - Paul Newman as a lawyer...it's all I know...it's all I need to know.

10) La Silence de La Mer - Jean Pierre Melville is excellent. I've liked everything I've seen.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger, The King of Marvin Gardens, The Goonies, Z, Ashes and Diamonds, L'Atalante, All Quiet on the Western Front, L'Age D'Or, The Earrings of Madame De..., La Notte, Europa, World on a Wire, Andrei Rublev, Dersu Uzala, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Brewster McCloud, Blast of Silence, Ordet, Bringing Up Baby, Pather Panchali, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, A Streetcar Named Desire, Bride of Frankenstein, Three Colors: White, Three Colors: Red, Kuroneko, A Hard Day's Night, Marketa Lazarova, Tootsie, George Washington, Marnie,Amour(TOTAL: 179)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ratedargh posted:

1) Picnic at Hanging Rock - Almost watched this the other night...still in my PS4 in fact. I am really curious about it but keep putting it off.

A movie stuck inside a video game system. What will they think of next?!

Color of Night - An old-fashioned murder mystery starring Bruce Willis as the psychologist/pseudo-detective investigating his friends murder who enters into an insane affair with a mysterious woman (Jane March). It reminded me of 1980s TV shows like Murder, She Wrote. Except here what we're given is really incompetent in its mystery and unfocused in its plot.

It was released in August of 1994 and to compare it to another extremely well-known Bruce Willis film that came out in October of the same year it feels horribly out of date.

For me to really dig into the plot and detail all the silly/nonsensical things and unhinged raw acting that transpires would seriously take probably 3-4 pages so I'll just say it's a cross between Basic Instinct, And Then There Were None and has an ending on par with an episode of Scooby-Doo. Words won't suffice and I can't convey how funny it is at times anyway. It MUST be seen to be believed. In that respect it's aligned with the perversely enjoyable 2003 Golden Raspberry winner Gigli and stuff like Road House (1989).

Procrastination (201 completed):

#202 Gangs of Wasseypur - Part 1 - This one keeps jumping on and off the IMDb 250. 11/5/15

#205 Go For it! India AKA Chak De! India - The quest to complete the IMDb 250 never ends. I haven't seen too many field hockey films. 12/23/15

#206 Inside Out - On the IMDb top 250. Something about emotions? 1/2/16

#207 Pierrot the Madman AKA Pierrot le Fou - The only film in the TSPDT top 75 I haven't seen. 1/2/16

new #208 Queen - IMDb CCL. 1/14/16

The Spy Who Loved Me - I've heard this was shot well. I must be really sick of Bond. 12/22/15

Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Picture (23/37 completed):

1993 Indecent Proposal - A rich man offers your wife $1,000,000 American dollars for a one night tryst. What do you do? 10/9/15

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

Me neither - enjoy!

Howl's Moving Castle
Such originality, and such beauty. I'm continually spoiled watching Miyazaki's films on blu-ray. And I mean, c'mon, how can you not love a film where a wizard asks for 6 eggs - 3 to cook, and 3 to literally feed to the anthropomorphic flame underneath the frying pan. And what makes all of this work is everything is taken with the utmost sincerity.

LIST
American Hustle (2015.10.19) - I'll replace Fincher's 'Dragon Tattoo with another lengthy modern film I'll never watch... unless I'm forced to here.

American Movie (2016.01.01) - I'll add a documentary to start the new year off, and it's one I've been meaning to see for years.

Children of Paradise (2015.10.12) - here's yet another 3hr film I'll continue to put off until I get forced to watch it.

Cloud Atlas (2016.01.01) - I'll add another newer, longer film that I won't watch unless I post it here.

The Fountain (2015.07.12) - I've noticed this come up way too many times, plus a good friend telling me to watch it for years now.

Gilda (2015.11.27) - I'll replace an early Rita Hayworth film with her most iconic.

Leaving Las Vegas (2015.10.18) - I claim to be a big Nic Cage supporter, yet his Oscar-winner remains a blindspot. How shameful, right?

Mister Roberts (2015.10.24) - James Cagney, Henry Fonda, William Powell, and Jack Lemmon ..... Why I haven't watched this yet is beyond me.

Rio Bravo **NEW** (2016.01.14) - a classic Western I should've watched by now... also on the IMDB Top 250.

That Obscure Object of Desire **OLDEST** (2015.04.07) - this seems way too interesting and way too important to have not seen by now.

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), [Total:116]

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
friendo55, I'm giving you the wonderful Rio Bravo

I was given Thief. I'm a sucker for a good heist movie, so I was definitely happy with this pick. The first thirty minutes or so are a little bit rough and difficult to follow (could just be my audio setup, though, it might have just been my inability to hear the dialogue) but once Frank talks to his girlfriend about his life goals and the preparation for the heist begin, the film really picks up. James Caan does a great job as the titular thief Frank, playing him with lots of Chicago swagger. The cinematography is excellent, with lots of static but well-framed shots with creative use of lighting, and some incredible use of sparks towards the end of the film. The static camera and the editing really work well together to give the film a hypnotic vibe, where it's not constantly rushing to the next scene, but it's always moving forward at a decent pace. I like how much it integrates Frank's personal life into the story, making him a well-defined character who's never really a good guy, just one who's less bad than the other parties. Very good stuff, here.

1) Prisoners - Heard a lot of good about this recent release, but don't really anything about it.

2) El Topo - Let's keep this Western train a-rollin with a Jodorowsky flick. That still counts, right?

3) The Descent - often regarded as one of the best horror movies of the past 10 years.

4) Paris, Texas - No clue what this one's about, I've just heard the name a bunch. And Harry Dean Stanton.

5) The Game - I really like David Fincher's stuff, let's see how his follow-up to Se7en is

NEW 6) A Zed & Two Noughts - The only Greenaway I've seen is the excellent The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, and this one comes highly recommended

Unshamed: Royal Tenenbaums, 8 1/2, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Pan's Labyrinth, Schindler's List, The Holy Mountain, Boogie Nights, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Exorcist, Days of Heaven, Inland Empire, The Hidden Fortress, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Naked Lunch, The Seventh Seal, Manhunter, Lolita, The Last Temptation of Christ, Sunset Boulevard, Once Upon a Time in the West, Suspiria, North by Northwest, Alien3, Badlands, Stagecoach, The Manchurian Candidate, L.A. Confidential, My Darling Clementine, Bringing Out the Dead, Starman, The Rules of the Game, Frankenstein, Malcolm X, Zardoz, Antichrist, The Sound of Music, Thief

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you've seen any other films from director Denis Villeneuve (Incendies, Enemy, Sicario), this is another solid entry with a great cast. Enjoy!

Rio Bravo
This now being my 3rd John Wayne film, I can easily say that Hawks > Ford when it comes to this big-time actor. Or perhaps Wayne works better with a strong ensemble around him? Or maybe there's just more to like and not have the film weighed down with his dominating presence 100% of the time? However I come down on this, I enjoyed Rio Bravo, and Wayne's Sheriff John Chance, far more than Stagecoach (which I respected more than anything else) and especially The Searchers (beautiful visuals only go so far). Dean Martin was great as Dude the recovering alcoholic, Walter Brennan as the cantankerous old man Stumpy fit the role perfectly, Ricky Nelson was fine as the promising young kid Colorado, and Angie Dickinson was great as the sultry gambler Feathers - really the only character that matched Wayne in screen presence but never overdoing it. I'm now curious to see other westerns from Hawks including Red River & El Dorado.

LIST

Warrior **NEW** (2016.01.17) - another IMDB Top 250 entry I've yet to watch... I'm glad I've waited as a Hardy/Edgerton film means more now.

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), [Total:117]

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

friendo55 posted:

You are hereby forced.

Go For it! India - The story of a girls field hockey team that goes through a lot of the typical ups and downs as it tries to win a gold medal all while being led by a coach with his own personal demons. It's based on a true story (2002 Commonwealth Games) but I was definitely reminded of The Mighty Ducks (1992) and D2: The Mighty Ducks (1994).

Overall, it is more serious than the Duck films: India/Pakistan relations, team infighting/strife, coach abuse, soap operas etc. So it's more in the PG-13 range of topics.

I didn't get too caught up in all the surprises as I've seen too many twisty sports films. I know all the common telegraphs. I did like that the girls had memorable and distinctive personalities.

Procrastination (202 completed):

#207 Pierrot the Madman AKA Pierrot le Fou - The only film in the TSPDT top 75 I haven't seen. 1/2/16

#208 Queen - IMDb CCL. 1/14/16

new 1991 Hudson Hawk - Run-of-the-mill box office bomb? 1/20/16

Decever
Dec 26, 2015

Zogo posted:

This is very much in the same vein as Weekend I enjoyed it as much as you can these types of Godard movie.

I had to watch Heat, and I have to say thank you to this thread because I loved it! The action was top notch, I guess some characters might come off as slightly one sided but I don't think this hurts the movies flow. This is the second Michael Mann film I have seen, the first one being Manhunter, and while the aspect ratio was weird to get used to, MM takes full advantage of it during the heist scenes.

Since it took me two weeks to watch this I also had time to watch another movie in my list: The Conformist (1970) from Bernardo Bertolucci

This is the story of a man who becomes a Fascist secret agent in the thirties out of the desire for normalcy. The film follows him on a mission in Paris to kill his old Philosophy Teacher now considered a subversive. The visuals really are what sets this film apart, the cinematography was very reminiscent of a Wes Anderson film at times. So much so in fact that I wondered if Wes Anderson had seen and or talked about it, in the end I found an interview of Anderson's favorite director of photography Robert Yeoman saying "Wes or Paul Feig and I know both of them have seen The Conformist [...] I love that movie so much and I always thought it would be a good thing for directors to see". But as good as the visuals were I wasn't engaged all that much by the story, but the visuals definitely make watching the movie worth the time.

My list:

Day for Night (La Nuit Américaine) (1973) - Francois Truffaut's loveletter to the chaotic process of film making. (Added 01/04/2016)

Bigger Than Life (1956) - "The story of the handful of hope that became a fistful of hell!" (Added 01/10/2016)

Thief (1981) - Replacing Heat with another Michael Mann movie (Added 01/23/2016)

Eraserhead (1977) - I loved watching Twin Peaks I think I would enjoy more from David Lynch(Added 01/23/2016)

Watched: The Conformist, Heat, Vertigo, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Youth of the Beast

Decever fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 23, 2016

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Decever, if you enjoyed the Black Lodge sequences in Twin Peaks, I'm sure you'll dig Eraserhead.

I was given Prisoners. That was... interesting. I liked it. There's a lot going on in Prisoners, and it's a little hard to dig into it. It's a mystery film with a bigger mystery that we get an explanation for, but it still feels like there's more that we'll never quite understand. The whole film has a enigmatic vibe that works well for the most part. It does go a bit too far, and with how the story twists, it does start to drag toward the end of the film. There's definitely some material there that could have been cut for the sake of time. Still, I think it worked for most of the movie. The cast is really good, especially Jackman's emotionally strong performance. The cinematography is also very good, especially in the way it uses lighting and silhouettes. As I mentioned before, there's a lot of heavy thematic material, intertwining religion, preppers, masculinity, the morally grey aspects of revenge and torture, and more. I'm definitely going to have to chew on it for a bit, but right now, I'd say it was pretty good, but not quite great.

1) El Topo - Let's keep this Western train a-rollin with a Jodorowsky flick. That still counts, right?

2) The Descent - often regarded as one of the best horror movies of the past 10 years.

3) Paris, Texas - No clue what this one's about, I've just heard the name a bunch. And Harry Dean Stanton.

4) The Game - I really like David Fincher's stuff, let's see how his follow-up to Se7en is

5) A Zed & Two Noughts - The only Greenaway I've seen is the excellent The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, and this one comes highly recommended

NEW 6) Under The Skin - ScarJo is something something sci-fi/horror? CineD raves about it, so I might as well watch it.

Unshamed: Royal Tenenbaums, 8 1/2, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Pan's Labyrinth, Schindler's List, The Holy Mountain, Boogie Nights, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Exorcist, Days of Heaven, Inland Empire, The Hidden Fortress, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Naked Lunch, The Seventh Seal, Manhunter, Lolita, The Last Temptation of Christ, Sunset Boulevard, Once Upon a Time in the West, Suspiria, North by Northwest, Alien3, Badlands, Stagecoach, The Manchurian Candidate, L.A. Confidential, My Darling Clementine, Bringing Out the Dead, Starman, The Rules of the Game, Frankenstein, Malcolm X, Zardoz, Antichrist, The Sound of Music, Thief, Prisoners

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

X-Ray Pecs, Haven't seen any movies on your list. I will pick Paris, Texas

Just saw Dersu Uzala. Impressive film late in Kurosawa's career. The cinematography and scenery were very impressive. It reminded me of many John Ford westerns, with the vast expanse of scenery and nature. In fact, Kurosawa was often called the most western of Japanese directors. Dersu Uzala (both the film and the man) also made a point of the disappearing frontier in the face of modern civilization. In general, while not as good as The Seven Samurai or Rashomon, it is a very solid and thought provoking movie.

My List:
Wall Street - Greed is good, I hear.

Avatar - I heard this is like Dances with Wolves.

Faust - Looking forward to another Murnau film.

Reds - Don't know much about this movie.

A Day at the Races - More Marx Brothers madness, please.

The Cat Returns - Need to see some more Studio Ghibli. Sequel to Whisper of the Heart

Dodesukaden - Starting to run out of Kurosawa films. What a great director.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - This is one of my grandmothers favorite movies. I haven't seen it yet.

House of Wax - I've never seen a Vincent Price picture (except for Edward Scissorhands)

Vertigo - More Hitchcock here.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton, Howl's Moving Castle, The King and I, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Kiki's Delivery Service, The King's Speech, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, The Graduate, Whisper of the Heart, The 39 Steps, Ran, Notorious, True Grit, North By Northwest, Rope, Dersu Uzala

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Vertigo - More Hitchcock here.
Probably his best.

La Dolce Vita is a movie that would've felt way above my head a few years ago, but now it's only a little bit above my head. I feel like this is one I need to go back to later since it really feels like something that is looked at differently at different points of life. Marcello does a really good job of being our vessel as a person who deprives himself of his hopes and dreams and falls into the realm of the excesses. It's almost like it's his drug and at the end you can see he's only a shell of his former self. I'm sure there's a ton of parallels and little things I missed, but I did enjoy it.

New List:

1. Casino - 9 Jan 2016 - I loved Goodfellas and liked everything I've seen from Scorsese.

4. 8 1/2 - 28 Jan 2016 - La Dolce Vita's companion piece.

Watched Count 139: Last 5 - All About Eve, Strangers on a Train, Shakespeare in Love, Hotel Rwanda, La Dolce Vita

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
marioinblack, it's one of my favorites and I was recently given a Robert Wise musical, so I'm giving you West Side Story. I hope you enjoy!

I was given Paris, Texas. I went into this one knowing nothing other than the names Wim Wenders and Harry Dean Stanton, and I was blindsided by an emotional, powerful film. Harry Dean Stanton plays a drifter who slowly remembers his past and has to come to terms with it. I've mostly seen Stanton in genre films, but his folksy blue-collar attitude is perfect for Travis, and he plays him with a gentle and charming edge you rarely see from Stanton. His re-integration with his old life is well done, and the script and direction really give it a lot of emotional weight. The cinematography is wonderful, with lots of beautiful shots of the Texas countryside and cities, alongside interior shots reminiscent of Michael Mann or Argento's usage of solid color. Even though the film is close to 2:30, it's editing and the power of its scenes really make it feel a lot shorter, and very little time is wasted.

1) El Topo - Let's keep this Western train a-rollin with a Jodorowsky flick. That still counts, right?

2) The Descent - often regarded as one of the best horror movies of the past 10 years.

3) The Game - I really like David Fincher's stuff, let's see how his follow-up to Se7en is

4) A Zed & Two Noughts - The only Greenaway I've seen is the excellent The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, and this one comes highly recommended

5) Under The Skin - ScarJo is something something sci-fi/horror? CineD raves about it, so I might as well watch it.

NEW 6) Adaptation - Kaufman and Jonze sounds interesting, and it's highly recommended

Unshamed: Royal Tenenbaums, 8 1/2, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Pan's Labyrinth, Schindler's List, The Holy Mountain, Boogie Nights, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Exorcist, Days of Heaven, Inland Empire, The Hidden Fortress, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Naked Lunch, The Seventh Seal, Manhunter, Lolita, The Last Temptation of Christ, Sunset Boulevard, Once Upon a Time in the West, Suspiria, North by Northwest, Alien3, Badlands, Stagecoach, The Manchurian Candidate, L.A. Confidential, My Darling Clementine, Bringing Out the Dead, Starman, The Rules of the Game, Frankenstein, Malcolm X, Zardoz, Antichrist, The Sound of Music, Thief, Prisoners, Paris Texas

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

One of my favourite horror movies since 2000. Hope you enjoy it.

My favourite element of Picnic at Hanging Rock is its willingness to be mysterious without being a mystery movie. Questions are raised but that doesn't mean they will be given concrete answers. It's more of a mystery in how the viewer interprets the images and the behaviours. It very much invites a second viewing. It's incredibly well filmed. The images are memorable, especially as the girls wander up the mountain and things go a little wonky. The soundtrack also keeps you off balance with the pan flute taking center stage. I likely need more time to process it, but what I do know is that I enjoyed it and will want to watch it again. I've read a bit about the various themes relating to sexual awakening and I can see that. It's one of those things that will likely become far more apparent once the need to know what happens next. Definitely worth a look.

Also saw The Duke of Burgundy and absolutely loved it. It's near my top 10 from last year almost immediately. I love the notion that it likely exists in a world where men don't exist. The power dynamics on display are fascinating and the film plays with expectation re: who we see as possibly exploiting said dynamic. Both lead performances are outstanding and I will happily watch it again. What an odd, beautiful and original film.

LIST O SHAME

1)Walkabout - Another from the outback. I know next to nothing about it, but cover art intrigued me.

2) Code Unknown - More Haneke. I love Juliette Binoche, too. Know nothing about it, but bought it blind when Criterion released it.

3) Day For Night - I need to watch more Truffaut.

4) Cobra Verde - This Herzog/Kinski box set won't watch itself!

5) Beauty and the Beast - The Cocteau version. I've only ever seen the Disney movie. This is supposed to be great, right?

6) State of Siege - I loved Z and really liked Missing. What else has Costa Gavras got to offer?

7) Volver - Almodovar...I've only seen one movie of his - All About My Mother - it was great! Why have I not watched any others?

8) Tangerine - Been on a number of best of 2015 lists.

9) The Verdict - Paul Newman as a lawyer...it's all I know...it's all I need to know.

10) La Silence de La Mer - Jean Pierre Melville is excellent. I've liked everything I've seen.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger, The King of Marvin Gardens, The Goonies, Z, Ashes and Diamonds, L'Atalante, All Quiet on the Western Front, L'Age D'Or, The Earrings of Madame De..., La Notte, Europa, World on a Wire, Andrei Rublev, Dersu Uzala, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Brewster McCloud, Blast of Silence, Ordet, Bringing Up Baby, Pather Panchali, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, A Streetcar Named Desire, Bride of Frankenstein, Three Colors: White, Three Colors: Red, Kuroneko, A Hard Day's Night, Marketa Lazarova, Tootsie, George Washington, Marnie,Amour,Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Duke of Burgundy(TOTAL: 181)

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012
This looks like a cool thread. I'll just drop my own list in here if y'all don't mind.

Ratedargh posted:

It's been a while, but I remember liking this quite a bit.

Throne of Blood - Really like the other Kurosawas I've seen, especially Ran. So another Shakespeare adaptation seems like a good idea.

Badlands - Missed this when it was on tv a while ago. Having only seen some more recent Malicks I'm curious to see something a little more straight-forward from him.

The Night of the Hunter - Looks really creepy and cool.

Man with a Movie Camera - Often shows up on lists of great films and everything about how it was made and how that's incorporated into the film sounds really interesting.

American Psycho - Thought the book was great. Movie's supposed to be real good too, if a bit different.

Thief - Other Mann movies I've seen were good, need to watch this one.

Nightcrawler - Didn't manage to see this in the cinema last year, but everything about it seems extremely my poo poo.

Chungking Express - I've only seen ''in the mood for love'' from Wong and I should change that.

F for Fake - Saw an EFAP video a while ago that made this look interesting.

Strange Days - Picked this up at a thrift store a year or so back and I've been close to watching it about a dozen times.

Spider - Went to a big Cronenberg exhibition last year and I've slowly been going through all his films. This one is next.

Elephant - I wonder what the chances are that this will be tragically relevant due to current events when it gets picked.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

GMEEOORH posted:

The Night of the Hunter - Looks really creepy and cool.

I just watched The Night of the Hunter and loved it. So now I am picking it for you.

I finally saw The King of Marvin Gardens and really enjoyed it. It took me forever to find a copy. I loved Jack Nicholson's understated performance, where he could have easily played Bruce Dern's character, it was wonderful to see him as the low-energy character. The more I think about this film, the more I like it. Jack Nicholson plays a depressed radio host called to Atlantic City to get his brother out of jail. Subsequently, he becomes intertwined in his brother polyamorous affair with two women while attempting to land a business deal for the mob. Not all the plot and motivations are coherent, but this all lends to the climax of the film. Made soon after Five Easy Pieces, and with the same director, I feel this is a good compendium to that piece. There is something about films of this time that are just so raw. I wouldn't call them "true" but instead of playing to the art of film, they are playing more towards philosophy. (8.5/10)

From the IMDB Top 250: Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
From the Netflix Top 100: The Age of Adaline (2015)
From the Janus Arthouse Essential Collection: Umberto D. (1952)
In memoriam, From Roger Ebert's Top Films of All Time List: Tokyo Story (1953)
Best Movies of All Time based on the Tomatometer (sigh) Score: Aruitemo Aruitemo (Still Walking) (2008)
AFI 100 Years 100 Movies: High Noon1952
List of films considered the best, Wikipedia: Cross of Iron (1977)
The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made, NY Times: The King of Marvin Gardens (1972) L' Avventura (1960)
Best 100 Movies Ever Made, TIME Magazine: Nayakan (1987)
The 500 Greatest Moves of All Time, Empire Online: Come And See (1985)

Completed Assignments: Mad Max, The Conversation, Tombstone, Diabolique, The Last Picture Show, Fanny and Alexander, Dawn of the Dead, The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly, Bridge on the River Kwai, Robot & Frank, 12 Angry Men, Seven Samurai, City Lights, Spartacus, La Règle du Jeu, Gravity, Mud, Aguirre, Wrath of God, Andrei Rublev, Captain Phillips, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, The King of Marvin Gardens

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

York_M_Chan posted:

From the IMDB Top 250: Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
Now now now now, once upon a time in the west, mad man lost his drat mind in the west. The movie is really good, but it's no Wild Wild West.

West Side Story is pretty fantastic. It's so well constructed I cannot give any complaints to the musical component or layout of the movie. Lots of lovely decisions made by characters, but I can't quite relate since I didn't grow up in a musical gang. I guess nothing was really surprising either since I've seen so many parodies of it, but I didn't realize it was a Romeo and Juliet adaptation until the leads meet. Then it became pretty apparent that this would end in some sort of tragedy. Natalie Wood was gorgeous, it's not fair to look that good.

New List:

4. 8 1/2 - 28 Jan 2016 - La Dolce Vita's companion piece.

Best Picture Bonanza (62/88)

10. The Best Years of Our Lives - 3 Feb 2016 - 12 of the 26 BPs I haven't seen are from pre 1950, so I'll just reserve this slot for that era.

Watched Count 140: Last 5 - Strangers on a Train, Shakespeare in Love, Hotel Rwanda, La Dolce Vita, West Side Story

marioinblack fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 3, 2016

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

marioinblack posted:

I haven been thinking about Das Boot lately and plan to rewatch it too. So, there ya' go.

I knocked out Once Upon A Time In The West pretty quick. I didn't like it as much as I loved The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - but it is a drat fine movie. I loved the silence of this film, large sections are just action, something you don't see too often in contemporary movies. This also made me realize how much I didn't care for The Hateful Eight. I have never been a big Tarantino fan. His films just feel like carbon copies of other films; they seem to lack roots and soul because they are just wordy imitations. And the silence in Once Upon A Time In The West just emphasizes the fact that you don't need three hours of verbal meandering to make a thematic point. Claudia Cardinale is so drat gorgeous and Bronson is a weird hobbit lookin' fella. (8.5/10)

I also happened to see Aruitemo Aruitemo (Still Walking), not realizing it was on this list. I already reviewed it in the "Review what you last watch" thread. I liked it a lot. (9/10)

From the IMDB Top 250: Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) The Intouchables (2011)
From the Netflix Top 100: The Age of Adaline (2015)
From the Janus Arthouse Essential Collection: Umberto D. (1952)
In memoriam, From Roger Ebert's Top Films of All Time List: Tokyo Story (1953)
Best Movies of All Time based on the Tomatometer (sigh) Score: Aruitemo Aruitemo (Still Walking) (2008) All About Eve (1950)
AFI 100 Years 100 Movies: High Noon1952
List of films considered the best, Wikipedia: Cross of Iron (1977)
The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made, NY Times: The King of Marvin Gardens (1972) L' Avventura (1960)
Best 100 Movies Ever Made, TIME Magazine: Nayakan (1987)

Completed Assignments: Mad Max, The Conversation, Tombstone, Diabolique, The Last Picture Show, Fanny and Alexander, Dawn of the Dead, The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly, Bridge on the River Kwai, Robot & Frank, 12 Angry Men, Seven Samurai, City Lights, Spartacus, La Règle du Jeu, Gravity, Mud, Aguirre, Wrath of God, Andrei Rublev, Captain Phillips, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, The King of Marvin Gardens, Once Upon a Time in the West, Still Walking

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

York_M_Chan posted:

Next one for you.

Pierrot the Madman - After watching Weekend last year I labelled JLG as a movie terrorist. Now after seeing this Godard has shifted more into an alien among other human directors. The more I see from Europe in the 1960s the stranger it's getting (Fellini included).

The leads have a little bit of Bonnie and Clyde in them and they've been thrown into Godard's crazy, quirky, zany scattershot world where unexpected and absurd things always happen. They're also going through the typical philosophical/existential crises with indifference:

-Boredom with commercialism.
-The aimlessness of lost souls.
-The vanity of life and the restlessness that heeds the need for exploration and/or change.
-Jokes on geopolitics between the USSR/USA on the moon or the wars in Vietnam.

I was reminded a little of Schizopolis (1996).

How to end a movie (spoilers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apjzZp3tJfQ

Procrastination (203 completed):

#208 Queen - IMDb CCL. 1/14/16

new #209 The Hour of the Furnaces AKA La hora de los hornos - There are around a dozen films I've recommended ITT to someone that I haven't seen. This is one of them. 2/4/16

1991 Hudson Hawk - Run-of-the-mill box office bomb? 1/20/16

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Zogo, the Pixar and general animation fan in me is forcing me to tell you to go Inside Out.

Got around to watching The Shining about a week ago. While I went into the film, as expected, knowing much the general outline and structure through cultural osmosis, one of the things I find gets lost out of context is the film's sense of pacing. The pacing is set at a very slow burn, highlighting the sense of extended isolation inherent to the Overlook Hotel, and gradually building up Jack's growing instability and Wendy's sense of dread. The cinematography, set design, and editing furthers adds to this as well as serving to give the turn the Overlook into a character in its' own right, contrasting the droll mundanity of the Torrance's tenure there to its' otherworldly, dreamlike state of existence housing the malevolent but largely welcoming spirits within. With regards to the latter especially, the film is also steeped in symbolic imagery and film making that I won't even pretend to have a full comprehension of after just an initial viewing, making this a film that will definitely benefit from a second viewing and external readings.

1. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

2. A Hard Day's Night - I love The Beatles but have only seen Yellow Submarine as far as their films are concerned. This one in particular seems especially well regarded.

3. Requiem for a Dream - A fun-filled romp for the whole family!

4. Plan 9 From Outer Space - The B-movie to define all B-movies?

5. Whiplash - One of my best friends considers this his favourite film of 2014, and J.K. Simmons generally hasn't steered me wrong in the past.

6. UHF - I loving love Weird Al Yankovic, so I'm probably a bit overdue to give this a watch. Plus I've been on a bit of a kick as of late after seeing him live a few days months ago.

7. A Nightmare on Elm Street - Man, he sure says bitch a lot.

8. Porco Rosso - Starting to get into the Miyazaki material that I really don't know a whole lot about going in.

9. Mad Max: Fury Road - Meant to see this when it was in theatres over the summer but never got around to it. Alternatively, I haven't watched any of the earlier Mad Max films either, so if you think Fury Road is better appreciated having watched any of those first, feel free to recommend one of those instead.

10. No Country for Old Men - The only Coen Brothers film I've actually seen is The Big Lebowski, which although one of my favourite comedies of all time, as I understand it is by no means representative of their greater body of work. This seems like as good a point as any to change that.

Deshamed (52): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Fantasia, Kill Bill, The Iron Giant, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, The Avengers, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Zombieland, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club, 21 Jump Street, The Godfather, Jackie Brown, Citizen Kane, Pink Floyd - The Wall, Birdman, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Back to the Future: Part II, Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace, Zodiac, Princess Mononoke, The Godfather Part II, Halloween, Spirited Away, Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones, Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining