Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes, though it doesn't work exactly the way you think.

Mechanics Spoiler: There are 4 missions in the darkest dungeon. When you complete a mission, the team that cleared it will refuse to do another one. Essentially this means you need 4 different teams to beat the game. Note that if you abandon a quest in the darkest dungeon, the heroes won't receive the debuff so they can try again. Abandoning it does mean one random hero will die to ensure the others escape though.

Gonna guess they tried a bunch of different designs for those final missions and decided that this system was the best.

Saw one thing that was kind of cool from someone's vid of doing the first Darkest Dungeon quest (lucky SOB didn't even lose anybody, though his Vestal got put on Death's Door by stress heart attack yet still managed to make it). Apparently the faces of the characters taken into there can occasionally twist into monstrous forms in the roster portrait (look at Kesoxxx). Guess that's to indicate why you don't want to bring them back there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Soothing Vapors posted:

You can still play in the dark, but it's pretty much the game's hardmode

Is it harder-mode than it was during Beta, though?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MadDogMike posted:

Saw one thing that was kind of cool from someone's vid of doing the first Darkest Dungeon quest (lucky SOB didn't even lose anybody, though his Vestal got put on Death's Door by stress heart attack yet still managed to make it). Apparently the faces of the characters taken into there can occasionally twist into monstrous forms in the roster portrait (look at Kesoxxx). Guess that's to indicate why you don't want to bring them back there...

Yeah about that; Its the game screwing with you after completing the first mission there. Your ancestor says "now you will see things as they truly are" and a bunch of horrible visuals will randomly flash while you're on the embark screen. There's the character portraits changing, the caretaker morphing into a flesh monster, the dungeons being drenched in blood, and a bunch of other weird stuff. I still haven't gotten past the second mission so I'm not sure if it gets worse as it goes on.

At first I thought it was a glitch. Its really neat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Turds in magma posted:

Is it harder-mode than it was during Beta, though?

Definitely. The game in general is somewhat harder than it was during the first half of 2015; like, it's still pretty easy, but you can't steamroll it as effortlessly. Especially at higher levels. I feel like dark runs may still be the pro-strat for apprentice runs: everyone is expendable early on, and later on you can send in upgraded level 1 and 2 characters with advanced trinkets and demolish everything. It gets a lot dicier in veteran/champion dungeons, though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
compulsive curio checking is the worst loving trait if only because theres a 69 hour delay between the bark and them actually doing the thing that cant be skipped through

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I think I have a good idea of when to use stuns vs. attacks vs. heals vs pulls. What I don't have a good grip on is debuffs. Are those ever worth using on regular enemies? I feel like you are giving up the chance to kill the enemy faster in exchange for possibly hindering them killing you faster. Just doesn't seem worth it in this game.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Verviticus posted:

compulsive curio checking is the worst loving trait if only because theres a 69 hour delay between the bark and them actually doing the thing that cant be skipped through

The Sitiomania people in the Weald and Warrens want a word with you. For reference, not only is it that stuff, but a good chunk of the time, you'll get diseases because no god dammit take the herbs as you eat that loving corpse :argh:

Megasabin posted:

I think I have a good idea of when to use stuns vs. attacks vs. heals vs pulls. What I don't have a good grip on is debuffs. Are those ever worth using on regular enemies? I feel like you are giving up the chance to kill the enemy faster in exchange for possibly hindering them killing you faster. Just doesn't seem worth it in this game.

Debuffs can be weird. But I can say that you should throw them up if you can't kill them during that turn. Or have an absurd amount of Dodge.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Has anyone seen the ending? What happens?

The Ancestor is such a sketchy guy. Talking in the present tense, alternating between being contrite and condescending... He's up to something! :cthulhu: :tinfoil: :cthulhu:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

If you don't have a stun and can't kill an enemy any faster, debuffs are sometimes the next best thing.

(In a few cases, there are enemies tough enough that debuffs become plan #1 because even with a stun you can't count on killing them before they wreck your poo poo.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Panfilo posted:

The Ancestor is such a sketchy guy. Talking in the present tense, alternating between being contrite and condescending... He's up to something! :cthulhu: :tinfoil: :cthulhu:

And we're working with him :kheldragar:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

It's pretty much exactly what you expect. But it's executed pretty well.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Notably, I love -PROT debuffs because it means I can actually scratch those Ultimate Fuckers with 75% PROT in the cove. Also -DODGE debuffs because I have a Leper because I love watching a massive whiff.

Panfilo posted:

His lines for each boss slowly reveal what an awful guy he is. I'm working my way through but so far I'm fond of (necromancer)I invited a lot of dudes over to learn from them. Then I killed them all! or (flesh 2) Yeah, I had a bunch of horrific, reanimating flesh blobs so I just sort of hucked it underground and assumed it would no longer be a problem

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Gabriel Pope posted:

If you don't have a stun and can't kill an enemy any faster, debuffs are sometimes the next best thing.

(In a few cases, there are enemies tough enough that debuffs become plan #1 because even with a stun you can't count on killing them before they wreck your poo poo.)

I mean define "can't kill an enemy any faster"? Like if you can take a swing at them, is it better to that than debuff them? Which debuff skills are notably worth taking? Are any of the -damage ones goods?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
goddamn locking traits is so expensive

What are people's preferred traits to lock? Mine are usually the <Slayer> families and occasionally some crit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You have to look at whether it's going to make a difference. Right at the start, yeah, you pretty much want to be laying out as much damage as possible. But suppose you take out the glass cannons and there's a tough enemy left that will take ~3 attacks and is likely/definitely going to move next: attacking now will not stop it from getting an attack off, but debuffing will not stop you from killing it before it gets a second attack.

E: also, forgot to mention AOE debuffs with chip damage are a good way to mitigate damage while finishing a weakened enemy ofd

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 21, 2016

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rascyc posted:

What are people's preferred traits to lock? Mine are usually the <Slayer> families and occasionally some crit.
+speed is also gr8. so's fated on most dudes

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
I'm partial to any protection buffs, but of course +speed is amazing. And certain crit boosts for classes that can use them.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is a flat 10% melee damage buff on Crusader worth locking?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I take back anything bad I said about the man at arms. He's not a great damage dealer but he has a lot of utility for bulky guy. Plus its amusing to see him respond to the cosmic screams of a fledgling god by slamming his shield into it.

Rascyc posted:

Stuff that boosts speed, damage, and durability. I don't like locking the slayer stuff just because I want my bonuses to be applicable in all fights and I'm too lazy to keep track of who is really good at killing eldritch stuff at the moment.

Megasabin posted:

Is a flat 10% melee damage buff on Crusader worth locking?

Absolutely.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 21, 2016

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

long treks through the warrens are fun. i had to skip over two moonshine barrels as well because i didnt have herbs because my inventory was full of trapezohedrons

she had 150 base accuracy as a level 1 hellion. neat!

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Been using Jester, and he's not bad at all? He basically ensures that my team comes back with no stress. Granted, I just have Solo/Finale and the two buffs. There's nothing wrong with a character that is just straight up used for utility, especially one that mitigates stress completely.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Been using Jester, and he's not bad at all? He basically ensures that my team comes back with no stress. Granted, I just have Solo/Finale and the two buffs. There's nothing wrong with a character that is just straight up used for utility, especially one that mitigates stress completely.

Or you could use a houndmaster / crusader who can also do the stress heal job but who are also not poo poo at everything else.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Or you could use a houndmaster / crusader who can also do the stress heal job but who are also not poo poo at everything else.

But I'm using the Houndmaster and Crusader to kill people??? How am I supposed to heal stress if I'm hitting dudes in the face instead. Well I mean other than crits, which the Jester will happily provide with his buff.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Huh, just found Dismas' head in a secret room.

Dismas is in my party

He is now wielding his own severed head

:unsmigghh:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Put jester on front row. He's fast, so he can finale an enemy before they can act. He is now in the back row destressing

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've just picked this back up now that it's out and jesus gently caress can everything go wrong fast on a run. Everything was going just fine until my bounty hunter ate two crits in a row and I missed 3 attacks against those goddamn spiders, then made the mistake of thinking 'I'm almost to the last room, I can use my food to heal', which immediately led to hunger.

I managed to get out of it with 3 insane heroes and 2 on death's door, but at least I won. I'm guessing that as they're rookies, I should just fire the crazies? Treating them would cost an awful lot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Night10194 posted:

I've just picked this back up now that it's out and jesus gently caress can everything go wrong fast on a run. Everything was going just fine until my bounty hunter ate two crits in a row and I missed 3 attacks against those goddamn spiders, then made the mistake of thinking 'I'm almost to the last room, I can use my food to heal', which immediately led to hunger.

I managed to get out of it with 3 insane heroes and 2 on death's door, but at least I won. I'm guessing that as they're rookies, I should just fire the crazies? Treating them would cost an awful lot.

fire them all unless they have good quirks

TastyLemonDrops posted:

But I'm using the Houndmaster and Crusader to kill people??? How am I supposed to heal stress if I'm hitting dudes in the face instead. Well I mean other than crits, which the Jester will happily provide with his buff.

bring more than 1 houndmaster.

bring 4 houndmasters

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I laughed when I found out four Hound Masters is apparently an entirely viable party.

I knew they were good but geez.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

fire them all unless they have good quirks

The only guy who came out of it sane got +3% Melee Crits on a Crusader, so he's a keeper.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
First of all: gently caress THE COLLECTOR. I was about to exit a long Warrens dungeon with over 30,000 gold thanks to the secret room treasures. Well at least I got the party wipe achievement... :( What is the best way to beat him?

Also, can anyone give general advice on using the Abomination?

RE: The Jester, after some tinkering, I think this may be the most mod-friendly game I've played so far.

Rascyc posted:

I lock On Guard as soon as it pops up, and Fated though I'm not sure how effective it really is...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Either the narrator wrote a LOT of notes before he offed himself or being dead is no detriment to his being able to chat your ear off.

"Yes, Grandpa, I KNOW this land is a festering abomination!"

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

FourLeaf posted:

Don't be afraid to use him in human form. When I take an abom I only hulk him out for fights that are going to be tough. Stress healers are good with him for obvious reasons. I can't remember exactly what trinket it is, but if you see the one that reduces the stress output of beastie mode definitely prioritize grabbing it because it is very good.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Speedball posted:

Either the narrator wrote a LOT of notes before he offed himself or being dead is no detriment to his being able to chat your ear off.

Why can't it be both?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Speedball posted:

We're in Cthulhu country, son.

The dead wish they were silent.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Picked this up again after playing it a bunch when it first came out and it's a lot loving harder now.

gently caress rabid dogs.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FourLeaf posted:

First of all: gently caress THE COLLECTOR. I was about to exit a long Warrens dungeon with over 30,000 gold thanks to the secret room treasures. Well at least I got the party wipe achievement... :( What is the best way to beat him?

I beat him by stacking blight and bleed on him and swatting down any collected highwaymen that showed up until he died.

It's basically a test of endurance so if you don't have a good healer or any blight/bleed skills to dump on him you're a bit hosed.

FourLeaf posted:

Don't even bother transforming 90% of the time, his human skills are actually enormously useful for stunning, blighting, and keeping himself healed. Definitely bring other people who can deal damage with him because he does very little actual damage in human form and if you transform him every fight it will drive everyone nuts. Use him as a utility class in standard fights and then go ape when you really, really need raw damage output for a boss or a really hard fight.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you can also just stun him on turn one and beat the poo poo out of him. 5 speed is not that high for an easily stunnable 'boss'

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Really enjoying release. Still hoping someone will make a mode that pushes the game along like XCOM instead of letting you grind endlessly forever.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did Abomination take a massive nerf with release? I seem to recall him doing quite a lot more damage in beast form before.

Not that it was entirely unwarranted though, and Rake spam is still fairly effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

gigawhite posted:

Really enjoying release. Still hoping someone will make a mode that pushes the game along like XCOM instead of letting you grind endlessly forever.

New Game+ mode, unlocked after beating the game once. Adds 91-week time limit, toughens enemies, blocks the options modifying game elements(Like corpses).