Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Isn't Eridan's hobby genocide?

im not goin to vvery wwell kill you am i that wwould be fuckin unconscionable. wwhat kind of friend wwould i be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Blackheart posted:

im not goin to vvery wwell kill you am i that wwould be fuckin unconscionable. wwhat kind of friend wwould i be.
swweet stinkin murder i am truly pathetic arent i

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The one bit of recent foreshadowing is that if you backread this section, Eridan's interest in the Matriorb, his pressing Kanaya to let him help protect it, was ill-intended from the get-go. The hopesplode! is Eridan's way of getting his genocide without (to his mind) expense: he kills off the species, but without killing the adults whom he knows and likes.

e: Also note that his original rationale for genocide was to punish the people who were polluting the oceans. By the meteor, there are no oceans to protect; he just wants to kill things. See: CaligulasAquarium, his full Pesterchum name.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

glowing-fish posted:

BTW, you are probably getting close to the End of Act 5 Part 1, and when you do get to that point, you should probably pause and watch this non-canonical but pretty awesome flash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-19Up0dLzNw

(But don't watch it before then!)

Somehow or other I'd never even seen this one. Afterwards I went and watched EmptyFeet's stuff again, and I'm still blown away by the talent of some of the people in the community. That and how much poignancy and tragedy they have to work with in this comic about kids and fun. I"m sad that these pauses have meant so much of that interest has petered out...I wonder if we'll ever see new work on the level of something like After Us.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I think it's a reasonably safe bet that something explosive enough to awaken the slumbering giant of the fandom is going to happen before the end, but we have probably seen the last of these huge fan creations.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Cat Mattress posted:

Vriska is right that these events had to happen, but she's wrong that she had to be the one to make them happen.

Except the reason it has to happen is because she does them. Homestuck has both free will and time travel, and reconciles this by pre-computing your will into the timeline.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Until recently, when things got interesting.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is Vriska the only character we've seen who consciously chose to die in order to achieve God tier?

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is Vriska the only character we've seen who consciously chose to die in order to achieve God tier?

Definitely Caliborn, debatably Rose and Dave.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Don't read this, Ytlaya.

It's debatable. Dave and Rose had both accepted and elected to follow through on their suicide mission, though they were not aware, at the time of making that decision, that it would lead to their getting of the tigers. Though I imagine once they saw their auxiliary quest beds in the core of Derse's moon that their tune might have changed a little. In the case of Aradia, it's hard to say because she has been intentionally dodgy of the narrative trying to pin down her motivations and intentions, but I will say it was a miiiiighty big coincidence that her dream-self just happened to be lying on her auxiliary quest bed at the moment Jack destroyed Derse. As for the Alpha kids, all four made it to their quest beds with every intention of dying on them, but at the moment of truth, none of them could bring themselves to pull the trigger. They had chosen to die, but ended up not following through until Jack English and the Condesce did it for them.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Caliborn too. He even made a point about how the choice was stupidly obvious to him. We can also assume that Lady Masse was similarly motivated.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think "deliberately went god tier" involves choosing to die. Vriska was already dying, and not by her own choice, when she made Tavros carry her to her Quest Cocoon, wasn't she? The people who had actual choices to "kill yourself now, go god tier" were Dave and the Alpha Kids, and none of them succeeded in making that choice.
Ytlaya, I was looking up more great animations for you, but all my favorites are still spoilery. :(

I hear that making Rex Duodecim Angelus required not so much cat-herding but cockroach-herding; I doubt anybody will take on coordinating that many people again. Furthermore, Hussie has been poaching some of the best remaining fan artists and animators for Hiveswap and for the Flashes.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Vriska got murdered but dragged her body to the bed, so she sort of chose?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That's fairly interesting, but I guess not really surprising--nobody except Caliborn actually chose to self-harm unto death in order to get more power (or at least those who did choose that couldn't carry it out). Even Vriska wasn't actually prepared to commit suicide as a form of power-gaming.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh hell, this means there is a dead caliborn somewhere in the dead space. After all we now know that god-tiered peeps still leave ghosts. Hey maybe he's the one who is making that stage and puppet shows. Him talking about how surprised his future self is when getting his butt hope-kicked despite knowing what will happen did seem a bit odd.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 20, 2016

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ytlaya, I was looking up more great animations for you, but all my favorites are still spoilery. :(

I was doing the same thing and reaching the same conclusion. Even the tamer ones like Sweet Rave Party might technically be spoilery, never mind poo poo like Sober Halloween.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

but I will say it was a miiiiighty big coincidence that her dream-self just happened to be lying on her auxiliary quest bed at the moment Jack destroyed Derse..

I don't think it's a coincidence. Aradia's dreamself was there the whole time.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence.

That's some excellent sleuthing there. I bet you're the gutsiest gumshoe around.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sprite141 posted:

Oh hell, this means there is a dead caliborn somewhere in the dead space. After all we now know that god-tiered peeps still leave ghosts. Hey maybe he's the one who is making that stage and puppet shows. Him talking about how surprised his future self is when getting his butt hope-kicked despite knowing what will happen did seem a bit odd.

Do you think that one of the Caliborns could be convinced to try and help kill the other one? That seems like something he would be willing to do.

After all: THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE. THERE CAN ONLY. EVER. BE. ONE.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've resumed reading now. Poor Karkat is freaking out. It's funny how these humorous images are used when characters die, all with their eyes bulging out and what have you.

edit: And now Gamzee seems to have gone insane? I mean he was crazy before but not remotely malicious.

"TC: FROM YOUR VEINS WILL DRIP MY MIRACLES. "

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 21, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
homestuck: it's about kids and fun(ny looking corpses)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I've resumed reading now. Poor Karkat is freaking out. It's funny how these humorous images are used when characters die, all with their eyes bulging out and what have you.

edit: And now Gamzee seems to have gone insane? I mean he was crazy before but not remotely malicious.

"TC: FROM YOUR VEINS WILL DRIP MY MIRACLES. "

Just a note, Hussie was uploading as many as forty pages a night during this period. Better days, better days.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That whole bit with scared Karkat and his memo is wrenching.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So is there a reason Gamzee is all evil now, or is it just because he's a crazy guy? Is it related to those pies he makes out of that goo or whatever?

edit: I'm assuming this is because I'm colorblind, but Tavros's blood just looks normal and red to me

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 21, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

So is there a reason Gamzee is all evil now, or is it just because he's a crazy guy? Is it related to those pies he makes out of that goo or whatever?

You weren't paying close enough attention to him while reading through the first time is what.

As for what Gamzee is, well

Keep reading

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I'm assuming this is because I'm colorblind, but Tavros's blood just looks normal and red to me

JuSt LeT mE sNeAk Up On ThIs BoTtLe Of FaYgO aNd SnAp ItS nEcK lIkE iM a FuCkIn LaUgHsSaSsIn.

e. holy poo poo that was a pain in the rear end to type

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

You're not going to find out why Gamzee went murderclown for another couple of hundred pages. Homestuck and timelines, man.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i liked gamzee better when he was karkats lovely invertibrother

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Did you guys stay up all night during Murderstuck? I can imagine it being really hard to go to sleep under the circs.

e: Tavros's blood is brown. Sollux's yellow, Feferi's fuchsia (shocking pink), Kanaya's (sob!) teal.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did you guys stay up all night during Murderstuck? I can imagine it being really hard to go to sleep under the circs.

e: Tavros's blood is brown. Sollux's yellow, Feferi's fuchsia (shocking pink), Kanaya's (sob!) teal.

Kanaya's blood is Jade isn't it?

Terezi has the teal blood because it's a shade of blue without being really blue.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

You're absolutely right. I remembered I had gotten it wrong in the shower and I am (barely) not enough of a nerd to dash out in a towel to correct my errors.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gamzee just killed Equius and Nepeta. Saw it coming obviously, though I was hoping Equius would put up some sort of fight since he is strong as heck (though the reason he didn't makes perfect sense).

Now Vriska is talking to John about killing Tavros. This part of the conversation was funny:
EB: you killed other people, that you didn't care about?
AG: Yes. Sort of a lot, actually. 8ut there was a really good reason for that!
EB: hm. how many?
EB: or... do i want to know...
AG: Oh, it doesn't matter. Pro8a8ly many thousands.
EB: uhhhhhhhh.
EB: hopy poo poo...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
John your spider girlfriend is kind of a total bitch.

Hope you like that.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Consult this handy guide to match trolls to their blood color (and commit Terezi = Teal to memory)

(taken from the PYF Homestuck fanart thread a million years ago, no idea who drew it. Sorry!)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wonder why they skipped Terezi.

I guess there aren't that many teal things.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This conversation between John and Vriska is interesting. I think he did a good job of characterizing Vriska here.

Plom Bar posted:

Consult this handy guide to match trolls to their blood color (and commit Terezi = Teal to memory)

lol the one for Tavros, Karkat, and Aradia all look the exact same color to me (maybe Karkat's looks slightly darker?). This is one of the few times (other than geography classes in elementary school) that I can remember my colorblindness actually causing any confusion.

Apparently they recently created glasses or something that somehow can show red-green colorblind people what normal vision is like, but I imagine that everything must seem garish and tacky as gently caress since we're used to a limited palette.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 21, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Burkion posted:

Wonder why they skipped Terezi.

I guess there aren't that many teal things.

That particular piece of fanart is meant to be a representation of how Terezi "sees" her friends.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This scene with dead-Dave and dead-Tavros/Aradia is interesting and sorta sad.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

This conversation between John and Vriska is interesting. I think he did a good job of characterizing Vriska here.

i dont think its spoiling anything to say that is like the tiniest glimpse into the high-speed footage capture of an explosion in a fireworks factory that is vriska serket

theres a reason this thread used to get locked for arguing about her

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

i dont think its spoiling anything to say that is like the tiniest glimpse into the high-speed footage capture of an explosion in a fireworks factory that is vriska serket

theres a reason this thread used to get locked for arguing about her

Really? Her character seems pretty straight-forward to me. She has this idealized image of her head of how she should be a badass but is mentally hosed from what she had to do as a child (feeding all those folks to her lusus) and, on some level, doesn't want to kill people she cares about. This comes to a head with Tavros, whom she lashes out at because he won't object to her behavior (and because she has feelings for him).

What was the main disagreement about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Ytlaya posted:

What was the main disagreement about?

Vriska is the 8est!!!!!!!!

Vriska is the worst!

Vriska is the worst!

Vriska is the worst!

Vriska is the worst!