Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

They dislike it because having two x's turns the x and xxx paradigms upside down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

I enjoy a little game called chess.

try to type '@fbchess play black' in a facebook chat with your arch nemesis

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like Fluxx.

For wacky games where you can't really control what's going on I like a game called "we didn't playtest this at all" which is stupid as all hell but each "game" can last between 15-90 seconds, so it's fine. It's very possible to lose or win on the first turn. It's stupid and barely a game, but I enjoy it. Games without a point where it's based entirely on luck better be short.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh asiina, i have the game for you. its called exploding kittens and its brought to you by the oatmeal

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

oh asiina, i have the game for you. its called exploding kittens and its brought to you by the oatmeal

I have this game but have not played it, but the cat noise the box makes annoys my cats.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
BURN IT

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
No, I will play it and have fun just to spite you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
did you know exploding kittens is the most funded game in kickstarter history, and had the most number of backers of any kickstarter

quote:

WHAT IS THIS?
THIS IS THE CARD GAME THAT MADE KICKSTARTER HISTORY.

Created by Elan Lee (Xbox, ARGs), Matthew Inman (The Oatmeal), and Shane Small (Xbox, Marvel), Exploding Kittens made history when it became the most-backed game in Kickstarter history and the campaign with the most number of backers, ever.

Elan Lee (Xbox, ARGs)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
u jelly?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

quote:

THE GAMEPLAY IS UNIQUE BECAUSE THE LONGER YOU PLAY, THE GREATER YOUR ODDS OF EXPLODING AND THE MORE INTENSE THE GAME GETS.

quote:

THE GAME MECHANICS WERE DESIGNED BY TWO SEASONED GAME DESIGNERS

quote:

It is a highly-strategic, kitty-powered version of Russian Roulette.

:confused:

...What the hell, why is there a NSFW edition of this game?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

They didn't specify what kind of kitty :)

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
wow that is a funny way to spell star citizen

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I played Cthulhu Fluxx once. I ended up just trying to end the game regardless of who would win because it was not that fun.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ernie. posted:

Chaos Reborn - a cool bluffing rpg/chess hybrid, that actually is made by the same people who made the original in the 80s if you ever played that. the graphics are sweet and imaginative, and the game is fun and competitive while offering local play (even against computers if you want to distract your kids with it)

Also, "the same people who made the original" is Julian Gollop creator of the original Xcom.

Ernie. posted:

board games (in no particular order): Mysterium, Zombicide, Machine of Death, Betrayal at House on the Hill, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, Mascarade, King of Tokyo and my own favorite misunderstood gem: Fluxx

Lots of the board game thread hates Zombicide because of dice. But I also love it.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

Blokus is one of my favourite board games. It's really not all that different from the board games you play as a child, but it's a really great warmup game. My friends and I would have board game night once a week at someone's house and we'd play Blokus when we first got there and/or when people were taking turns cooking, and then after dinner we'd try something more involved like Power Grid or Small World.

It's also great because I can play it with my six year old. :)

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Zombicide has some problems with pacing and having runaway chain reactions. As with the dice, it comes down to strategy and not expecting to succeed with every roll. It probably needs a bit of a helping hand for early game because you can be pretty much useless for a while, then you hit the nice middle game which seems balanced but challenging, which leads to one of two end game scenarios. Scenrio one is you have the upper hand and walk to victory. The other being the runaway chain reaction and being overwhelmed by zombie spawns and then zombie extra turns. And usually caused by opening a door.

I think starting with something better than a pan or something more interesting to do than "Search, hmm nothing" at the start would help, but the runaway chain reaction isn't actually a bad way to end the game.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

It's also great because I can play it with my six year old. :)

Yeah, it's a fun game whether you have a strategy or are just playing for yourself. My friends and I would play pretty cutthroat and always take the option that screwed the most amount of people.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Assassin's Creed is my favourite series, I think, but there is a dumb thing they do where most missions are multi-part and there are optional objectives for missions that may be relative to only one part, but while the main objective stays on the screen the entire time, the optional objective usually is only on there for a few seconds before fading. You can press start and it'll list all the current objectives including the optional ones, but sometimes you're in the middle of a fight and you miss the optional objective entirely. Then if you finish the mission and you see the one you missed you'll have to do the whole thing over again to complete that objective, whereas if you notice it mid-mission you can restart just that one part. It's so close to being a good system, since a lot of games won't let you restart from checkpoints in missions to complete objectives, but they just need to keep those optional parts on the screen. It's been like this for every game and it's annoying every time.

I just did a 40 minute mission and missed an optional objective right at the end I could have done if I had seen it before it disappeared. Now I'm gonna have to do the whole thing again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Holy poo poo, someone who's beaten it get on Steam and talk with me about Her Story.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
pfft, her story was so yesterday, the cool new game is regular human basketball

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

PBS Newshour posted:

pfft, her story was so yesterday, the cool new game is regular human basketball

PBS Newshour, literally earlier today, posted:

her story is a murder mystery game and fun

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
http://powerhoof.itch.io/regular-human-basketball coolest game ever

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I like to play sports

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Same but only good sports, not American ones

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I play a Canadian sport

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tremendous Taste posted:

I like to play sports

i too, which is why i love regular human basketball

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tremendous Taste posted:

I play a Canadian sport

Curling?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I actually had the weird experience of being the best athlete on my team the other week

It's so surreal to be the guy people are saying should double shift near end game and rely on to score

(It is low level of course)

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Also rec league hockey is the loving best and out of all major sports it's the kindest to adult beginners so you should try it!!!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 27, 2020

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

A lot of leagues (in whatever sport) offer instructional sessions for a small fee and they're totally fun too

Keep at it Ecco you will get better and it will be super fun

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tremendous Taste posted:

Also rec league hockey is the loving best and out of all major sports it's the kindest to adult beginners so you should try it!!!

I think I am actually going to try to learn how to ice skate this year simply by going to a local rinks public skates most weeks.

I've only really been skating twice that I can recall. Once when I was a teenage on a frozen lake, but I don't really remember it much. I probably didn't spend more than 10-15 minutes because I didn't like it.

Then I finally went a few months ago as part of a meetup group and I had a pretty good time for what I really consider my first time skating. I only fell like 3 times and people were kind of amazed that I hadn't really skated before.

I think the reason I did ok with it was because I had skied so much in my teens that I didn't have problems with balance or understanding edges and how to move on a slippery surface.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Absolutely do this!!!

Check the sas how to hockey thread for tips on ice skating, it is helpful

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, after going skiing in Colorado for the first time in ~20 years, I kind of just want to move to Denver so I can go skiing all the time. I really forgot how much fun I had when doing it.

I really should have moved there in my early 20s and become a ski bum.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I love hockey, but when I was growing up, there were no real rivers or lakes around, so there was no winter hockey, and often driveways and streets would be on hills or rocky or gravely, so roller hockey was out. We played street hockey in sneakers (or floor hockey in gym class.) I can't skate very well at all, but I can definitely check. I spent a lot of my tween years getting stuck in the box or made to play goalie because the gym teacher didn't look kindly on me muscling some other kid off the puck.

I would totally curl. I look forward to every winter olympics so I can watch the curling, the hockey, and the bobsled/luge. Biathlon if it's on. I get way too bored by alpine skiing and I don't know why. I like the meditative pace of watching cross-country skiing.

I'm loving terrible at skiing, though. Tried it once, spent the entire time alternately crashing my way down the slope, losing hat, gloves, glasses, skis, poles, etc on a regular basis and being terrified I was going to fall out of the ski lift chair.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My elementary school was next to an arena so we would go skating all the time as cheap field trips. I also grew up in Ottawa which has the Rideau Canal, which freezes over in the winter to become the longest skating rink in the world (it may not still hold this title). So I went skating there a lot too. I haven't been skating since I was a kid though. I'd be afraid of breaking an ankle.

That said I would absolutely love to go skiing again one day. I went a couple of times in school for trips and enjoyed the hell out of it then but haven't been as an adult, and I may actually be fit enough for it now.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Skiing very hard, just snowboard unless you are going to ski several times a year. You don't use those muscles for anything else. Learning to ski like learning to swim only doing backstroke. Except faster.

That's my skiing advice, don't do it. Just have fun on the mountain, fall on your butt a few times, no poles to have to walk uphill and retrieve. Where are you going so fast? Just ski lift and watery hot chocolate lodge. Enjoy the mountain.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

If they had like an elevator to the top or an escalator, I'd probably try skiing again. I pride myself on trying basically anything reasonable at least twice, but ski lifts just terrify me. There's just nothing there to prevent you from dropping a hundred feet or more and just straight up dying.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I've never been on a ski lift that didn't have a safety bar to keep you from falling out if the lift stops suddenly. Is this a canadian thing? Are you guys stuck with 50 year old lifts that are too expensive to replace but have all the safety features of a carousel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I was always so afraid getting off the lift and falling or getting hit on the back of the head when it swung around.

I liked the little T bar lifts even if they were hard to use right.