Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
https://twitter.com/Falkvinge/status/689914706631458818

yes good. good.

Serak fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is he the guy that made a big article about putting his life savings into bitcoin?

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Mr. Powers posted:

Is he the guy that made a big article about putting his life savings into bitcoin?

I didn't recognise the name, but yes he is! http://falkvinge.net/2011/05/29/why-im-putting-all-my-savings-into-bitcoin/

No evidence of whether this is a thing he actually DID though

Also, according to wikipedia, "He has no children and is not married but openly polyamorous,[42] which still precludes marriage for legal reasons as of April 2014."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
LFMAO BITCONS!!!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
:gas:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Who was the ponzi scheme guy who went down for hard time? That was funny to read his defenders rationale.

I think the only positive outcome was the guy who bought the buttcoin.org domain, didn't he flip it for real money at some point?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Scaramouche posted:

Who was the ponzi scheme guy who went down for hard time? That was funny to read his defenders rationale.

I think the only positive outcome was the guy who bought the buttcoin.org domain, didn't he flip it for real money at some point?

pirate40 or something?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

LFMAO BITCONS!!!!!

yeah they are funny as poo poo especially the people that think they're good

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Scaramouche posted:

pirateat40 aka Trendon T. Shavers

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

thathonkey posted:

yeah they are funny as poo poo especially the people that think they're good

Remember that time when bitcoin, a technologically sound project, toppled entire government regimes?

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

EorayMel posted:

Remember that time when bitcoin, a technologically sound project, toppled entire government regimes?

remember they planned to put the block chain in space?

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

He's going to be sentenced in a couple weeks time so that's something to look forward to

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-ponzi-scheme-operator-pleads-guilty-to-securities-fraud/

quote:

Bitcoin Ponzi Scheme Operator Pleads Guilty to Securities Fraud
Pete Rizzo (@pete_rizzo_) | Published on September 21, 2015 at 22:48 GMT

Bitcoin Ponzi scheme perpetrator Trendon Shavers has plead guilty to securities fraud, a decision that reverses plea of not guilty submitted in March.

Shavers faced up to 20 years in prison for defrauding investors out of an estimated $4.5m while operating Bitcoin Savings & Trust (BS&T). The investment scheme, which promised investors 7% returns on bitcoin market arbitrage activity in 2011 and 2012, became the object of a US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) inquiry in July 2013.

According to a report by Bloomberg, Shavers will now serve anywhere from 33 months to 41 months in prison as a result of the plea deal, and pay a $5m fine.

“I know what I did was wrong and am very sorry,” Shavers said in a court hearing, according to the news source.

Shavers was ultimately found to be engaging in a Ponzi scheme whereby money from new investors was used to issue "interest payments" to new investors. Further, he exchanged bitcoin into US dollars to pay personal expenses, investigators found.

As a result of an initial inquiry, Shavers was forced to pay $40m in penalties for violating anti-fraud and securities laws in September of 2014. He was subsequently arrested again on criminal charges in November of that year.

A 9th September filing in the case previously revealed that US Attorney Preet Bharara had postponed a pre-trial conference on the basis the parties were working toward an agreement.

Shavers is scheduled to be sentenced on 3rd February, 2016.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Remember when Bitcoiners all invested in an honest from the get go Ponzi? Like the OP said THIS IS A PONZI SCHEME! and people gave him money and told people calling them idiots that the business was fine as long as you knew when to get out?

Jesus those were good times

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
what are the odds that shaver guy has even $1m with which to pay the fines?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Remember that bitcoin homeless encampment? I think it was in the florida jungle somewhere. I forget how it was supposed to work.

Didn't some goon make an actual game based on that? I remember playing a choose-your-own-adventure style game.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Was it the first big Bitcoin crash that was caused by a goon posting "BITCOIN IS CRASHING: SELL SELL SELL" on their forum?

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

Professor Shark posted:

Was it the first big Bitcoin crash that was caused by a goon posting "BITCOIN IS CRASHING: SELL SELL SELL" on their forum?

This is another thing that never actually happened, but we like to repeat anyway.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Leperflesh posted:

Remember that bitcoin homeless encampment? I think it was in the florida jungle somewhere. I forget how it was supposed to work.

Didn't some goon make an actual game based on that? I remember playing a choose-your-own-adventure style game.

http://www.beepboopbitcoin.com/

Pro tip: It's worth it to play through to the end. Keep playing until you've won.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SuperSpiff posted:

This is another thing that never actually happened, but we like to repeat anyway.

Hey man, it was repeated enough in the old thread that I thought it happened

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Professor Shark posted:

Remember when Bitcoiners all invested in an honest from the get go Ponzi? Like the OP said THIS IS A PONZI SCHEME! and people gave him money and told people calling them idiots that the business was fine as long as you knew when to get out?

Jesus those were good times

Yeah so, they're still doing that http://gamblingwithbitcoin.com/bitcoin-ponzi-game/ :cawg:

quote:

Bitcoin ponzi games are based on ponzi scheme which gives you the new investors’ money – the higher the promised returns, the greater the risk of the Ponzi.

The following is a list of investor based games using ponzi scheme, along with any additional information about their duration, their rate of return and fees.
bitcoin pyramid Crypto pyramid ★★★★★ Attract referrals and build unlimited hierarchy, 49% of money goes to your sponsor/referrer, 49% goes to a random member, and 2% goes to the Pyramid as a maintenance fee. Deposit more to increase your income.
doublebot.com btc ponzi DoubleBot ★★★☆☆ Bitcoin investment game which will send twice the amount of your payments back to you. All payments proofs can be found on the main page. Service fee is 2% and you earn a 200% profit.
multicryptos investment game Multicryptos ★★☆☆☆ Online investment game to be played with more than 35 cryptocurrencies. Multiply x2, x10, x100 or even more your investment. Service fee is 5%.
BTC goldmine - ponzi game BTC-Goldmine ★☆☆☆☆ Faucet & investment base game where you can earn 150% profit + return on your Bitcoin within 10 days + referral commission. You only need to buy a gold mine and increase levels.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Professor Shark posted:

THE PRICE OF BITCOINS IS CRASHING SELL SELL SELL

onesalt posted:

Um, Hes actually correct, the price of bitcoins is crashing.
'course then it did crash properly again in July 2011. Those were the days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Bitcoin
code:
Date 	Price for 1 BTC 	Notes
Jan 2009 – Jan 2010 	basically none 	No exchanges or market, users were mainly cryptography fans who were sending bitcoins for low or no value.
Feb 2010 – May 2010 	less than $0.01 	On 22 May 2010,[76] user "laszlo" made the first real-world transaction by buying two pizzas in Jacksonville, Florida for 10,000 BTC.[77][78] User "SmokeTooMuch" auctioned 10,000 BTC for $50 (cumulatively), but no buyer was found.[79][80]
July 2010 	$0.08 	In five days, the price grew 1000%, rising from $0.008 to $0.08 for 1 bitcoin.
Feb 2011 – April 2011 	$1 	bitcoin takes parity with US dollar.[81]
8 July 2011 	$31 	top of first "bubble", followed by the first price drop
Dec 2011 	$2 	minimum after few months
Dec 2012 	$13 	slowly rising for a year

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 21, 2016

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I followed all the threads. And this poo poo is boring. Fresh news?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Bitcoin dudes really hype the potential for bitcoin as currency. Bitcoin can only even theoretically become worthwhile as currency if it's price stays flat & predictable. Bitcoin dudes really hype the trillions of dollars they'll make when Bitcoin rises exponentially & unpredictably. The standard response to this dilemma is that they're both possible, if and when the global economic system irreversibly collapses. They'll just trade their e-currency for gold in the fallout shelter.

What I'm getting at is that Bitcoin is a doomsday cult

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

Ivor Biggun posted:

THE PRICE OF BITCOINS IS CRASHING SELL SELL SELL

'course then it did crash properly again in July 2011. Those were the days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Bitcoin
code:
Date 	Price for 1 BTC 	Notes
Jan 2009 – Jan 2010 	basically none 	No exchanges or market, users were mainly cryptography fans who were sending bitcoins for low or no value.
Feb 2010 – May 2010 	less than $0.01 	On 22 May 2010,[76] user "laszlo" made the first real-world transaction by buying two pizzas in Jacksonville, Florida for 10,000 BTC.[77][78] User "SmokeTooMuch" auctioned 10,000 BTC for $50 (cumulatively), but no buyer was found.[79][80]
July 2010 	$0.08 	In five days, the price grew 1000%, rising from $0.008 to $0.08 for 1 bitcoin.
Feb 2011 – April 2011 	$1 	bitcoin takes parity with US dollar.[81]
8 July 2011 	$31 	top of first "bubble", followed by the first price drop
Dec 2011 	$2 	minimum after few months
Dec 2012 	$13 	slowly rising for a year

This was five hours later. "sam" posted at 2:38pm UTC, the market dropped at ~7:45pm UTC. Here's a nice picture:

It was just the daily ups and downs and downs and downs that Bitcoin tends to go through.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Emanuel Collective posted:

Bitcoin dudes really hype the potential for bitcoin as currency. Bitcoin can only even theoretically become worthwhile as currency if it's price stays flat & predictable. Bitcoin dudes really hype the trillions of dollars they'll make when Bitcoin rises exponentially & unpredictably. The standard response to this dilemma is that they're both possible, if and when the global economic system irreversibly collapses. They'll just trade their e-currency for gold in the fallout shelter.

I've never heard of any half-way decent doomsday scenario where the internet is still up. We can't properly devolve into feudal lords vs. legions or rape-raiders if there's still an internet.

"Hey guys, a water caravan just tweeted that they're leaving. Call in the reserves, I looked up their new bodyguards and they're serious people, one of them hosts my favorite improvised-pipe-guns YouTube series."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Darth123123 posted:

I followed all the threads. And this poo poo is boring. Fresh news?

cryptsy took a poo poo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

happyhippy posted:

12. Our future Captain's of Industry misplacing a decimal point for the fee, and have just gave 9/10 of what they have to another person.

13. The two who went to Japan to protest outside MTGOX's empty office saying they will not leave until they get their money back.

14. Roger “Bitcoin Jesus” Ver renounced his US citizenship in order to avoid a shitload of back taxes but accidentally became stateless in the process (which is a really lovely situation), wanted to re-enter the US in order to attend a bitcoin conference but was denied entry because he had this huge tax bill, so then he paid his enormous tax bill and the US State Dept was like "lol thanks for the money but you're still a shithead and we don't want you to come here, gently caress off"

15. The iOS game that paid people penny shavings of bitcoin to keep playing, and then someone figured out how to get the game to pay out all of its bitcoins at once

16. The bitcoiner who came up with "Paycoin" which was an altcoin that was supposed to be guaranteed to be worth at least $20 per coin. And then when the price crashed and he ran out of money saying "how was this ever even supposed to work? I think that there are some fundamental flaws with the idea behind this altcoin!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

QuarkJets posted:

14. Roger “Bitcoin Jesus” Ver renounced his US citizenship in order to avoid a shitload of back taxes but accidentally became stateless in the process (which is a really lovely situation), wanted to re-enter the US in order to attend a bitcoin conference but was denied entry because he had this huge tax bill, so then he paid his enormous tax bill and the US State Dept was like "lol thanks for the money but you're still a shithead and we don't want you to come here, gently caress off"

15. The iOS game that paid people penny shavings of bitcoin to keep playing, and then someone figured out how to get the game to pay out all of its bitcoins at once

16. The bitcoiner who came up with "Paycoin" which was an altcoin that was supposed to be guaranteed to be worth at least $20 per coin. And then when the price crashed and he ran out of money saying "how was this ever even supposed to work? I think that there are some fundamental flaws with the idea behind this altcoin!"

17. The bitcoin exchange that was being run entirely on a single ephemeral AWS virtual machine with no persistent storage. They lost all their bitcoins when they rebooted it one day.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Serrath posted:

When you say hundreds of thousands of dollars, you mean hundreds and thousands of imaginary numbers that a handful of people have agreed might be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, correct?

dpr's attorney actually used this argument at one point to try to get the case dismissed

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

5-HT posted:

dpr's attorney actually used this argument at one point to try to get the case dismissed

Ah ha, of course they did.

People who use bitcoins want this sort of crytocurrency to replace existing currencies, yes?

How do people deep into bitcoin reconcile their hope that the value will continue to increase at an incredible rate (making them e-millionaires!) with the reality that a currency with wild fluctuations (up or down) cannot possibly hope to serve as a functional, day to day currency? Like, fulfillment of the latter goal (making it a currency that can be used for day to day transactions and normal finances) poisons the former goal, that their value can only up Up UP!

(I know the answer to this lies somewhere between ignorance and delusion but I'm wondering if any e-philosophers have attempted to address these incompatible goals)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I think the actual number of Bitcoin true believers who really think it's going to take off any time now is pretty small at this point. However there are still a lot of bagholders who don't want the value of their coins diminished, and would never admit it or even express public views to the contrary. See the admin of the main bitcoin Reddit who will delete any discussion related to the current fracturing of the network. There's an "investment" to protect, and maybe if they wait a bit longer the price will fluctuate back up to 600 dollars a coin (so they only take a 200 dollar loss on each because they bought in at the Mt. Gox bot-price-pump fiasco).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Emanuel Collective posted:

Yep in the event that the global economic system collapses i bet there will be great internet connectivity for using digital currencies

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i just don't get how one coin can be worth 600 australian dollars, and that one cent of a bitcoin is worth six dollars

how can you use like, 2/100s of a bitcoin to buy your lunch? How can that possibly work?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You would just enter in ".02" into the software and send it to whatever address. People on reddit even got into the habit of "tipping" fractions of a penny worth of coins before it was banned on most forums for being indistinguishable from spam.

The smallest unit is named after Dear Leader Satoshi

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 21, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LethalGeek posted:

oh, or you find someone on localbitcoin and hope they don't stab you

I haven't kept up with this nonsense in a couple of years, is this something that really happens /has happened?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the one thing I don't get is these guys hedge that bitcoin will rise when the global economic system collapses

do they not understand that when things like that happen your bigger problem is keeping the power grid running and the streets free of riots..... like how do they expect to get their butts out of a box with no power or internet

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
they'll just drop the difficulty and you'll have to do the hashing by hand

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Fonzarelli posted:

i just don't get how one coin can be worth 600 australian dollars, and that one cent of a bitcoin is worth six dollars

how can you use like, 2/100s of a bitcoin to buy your lunch? How can that possibly work?

Because the number of people using them in actual transactions are vanishingly small and they're primarily used as an investment for idiots or money laundering.

I don't know how much a $12 AUS lunch would cost in bitcoin after the fees but considering how slow the network is to verify you should order early!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What percentage of global warming carbons can be attributed to criminals running overheating processors for this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

raditts posted:

I haven't kept up with this nonsense in a couple of years, is this something that really happens /has happened?
yes

• Locked thread