Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

kaschei posted:

Skiing very hard, just snowboard unless you are going to ski several times a year. You don't use those muscles for anything else. Learning to ski like learning to swim only doing backstroke. Except faster.

That's my skiing advice, don't do it. Just have fun on the mountain, fall on your butt a few times, no poles to have to walk uphill and retrieve. Where are you going so fast? Just ski lift and watery hot chocolate lodge. Enjoy the mountain.

Backstroke is best stroke. You get a nice view while you swim and your ears are mostly underwater so you get that nice calm detached from the earth sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fluxx is really boring

one time the game was almost over and then it ended up starting again or something and I cried a bit

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

bowmore posted:

Fluxx is really boring

one time the game was almost over and then it ended up starting again or something and I cried a bit
See also: Munchkin, We Didn't Playtest This, and I'd be willing to bet almost any amount of money that Exploding Kittens will end up in the same camp.

Board Game Nerd Edit I recommend Coup or Sushi Go to fill that "small card-based filler game" niche.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

kaschei posted:

Skiing very hard, just snowboard unless you are going to ski several times a year. You don't use those muscles for anything else. Learning to ski like learning to swim only doing backstroke. Except faster.

That's my skiing advice, don't do it. Just have fun on the mountain, fall on your butt a few times, no poles to have to walk uphill and retrieve. Where are you going so fast? Just ski lift and watery hot chocolate lodge. Enjoy the mountain.

Counterpoint: Skiing owns, go ski.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
why ski when you can surf???

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

busb posted:

I am actually secretly the Wicked Witch of the West.

I have to be very careful about cleaning the snow off my clothes. :j:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

busb posted:

Ski in winter, surf in summer. :colbert:

Well actually, skiing in spring is really really good too.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mafia thread, one of my characters in Darkest Dungeon has contracted syphilis from a pig. To commemorate this, I have renamed her Cameron.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

See also: Munchkin, We Didn't Playtest This, and I'd be willing to bet almost any amount of money that Exploding Kittens will end up in the same camp.

Board Game Nerd Edit I recommend Coup or Sushi Go to fill that "small card-based filler game" niche.
Yep, agreed

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SirSamVimes posted:

Mafia thread, one of my characters in Darkest Dungeon has contracted syphilis from a pig. To commemorate this, I have renamed her Cameron.

DCFADP noice :razorback2:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kaschei posted:

Skiiing isn't hard. I taught my 40+ year old friend who had never skied before how to ski just last month. We spent about about a half hour or so on the tiny base bunny slope before we jumped on the lift and went up to a lower mid mountain beginner area. We spent an hour or so there, before we went up to the top and started doing some of the bigger, longer green runs. By the end of the first day, he pretty much had most things down, although he never really wanted to concentrate on stopping well. I kept trying to get him to do a good hockey stop but he was stubborn about it. On the second day, I was really impressed with how well my friend was making hard, sharp turns at speed. It really just needed to click with him about putting most of your weight on the downhill ski to control those turns.

And skiing fast is the best part about skiing. It's super fun to just bomb down the mountain.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
i strongly prefer snowboarding to skiing, but skiing isn't hard. Even muscles wise it's not too bad.

also swimming loving owns.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 27, 2020

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

EccoRaven posted:

I thawed two pounds of salmon for someone who dumps me via text, awesome.

Sorry to hear that :(

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

:( hang in there

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

EccoRaven posted:

I'm sorry, Ecco. :(

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

:smith:

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

EccoRaven posted:

Oh man, you seemed really excited about that person too. If you want you could do what I did when my ex started not wanting to do anything anymore and leave some sweet potatoes on your fridge and when they go undeniably bad, like way past the point where there are sprouts coming out of them to the point where they're starting to turn into mush then well I don't really know where I was going with it, but use it and don't let it go bad. Feel better Ecco.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i played ticket to ride for the first time last night. pretty fun game, will definitely play it again.

go is the best board game tho. centuries after humanity has forgotten catan and risk and scrabble, whether we've ventured into space or collapsed back to warring tribes, people will still be playing go.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've spent the last week at work implementing a brand new schedule for all 90 of our callers. This has involved individual conversations to get their preferred hours, arranging them in groups to ensure we still have coverage during undesired hours while keeping everyone in their social groups and balancing each group to include an equal number from each team, working out headcounts for each team across each shift pattern on each day to ensure team managers are resourced properly, individually confirming that each caller knows exactly what their new schedule will be next week, rebuilding the weekly rotas to account for the new schedule and creating a clear and concise notice board specifically for Saturday scheduling. Tomorrow I will be adding all of these new shift patterns to the computer system so that attendance is still reported accurately.

I'm paid £8.50 an hour.

e: Ecco that is lovely I'm sorry :(

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What is wrong with people these days? You should only 'dump' someone through text if you've only been on one short date. If you have been on a date that lasts 10+ hours and things seem to be going well, then you should grow a sack and face the person you're dumping. Or at the very least, make an actual phone call so they can hear a voice not just read some impersonal words on a screen.

Ecco, you dodged a bullet.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

I've spent the last week at work implementing a brand new schedule for all 90 of our callers. This has involved individual conversations to get their preferred hours, arranging them in groups to ensure we still have coverage during undesired hours while keeping everyone in their social groups and balancing each group to include an equal number from each team, working out headcounts for each team across each shift pattern on each day to ensure team managers are resourced properly, individually confirming that each caller knows exactly what their new schedule will be next week, rebuilding the weekly rotas to account for the new schedule and creating a clear and concise notice board specifically for Saturday scheduling. Tomorrow I will be adding all of these new shift patterns to the computer system so that attendance is still reported accurately.

I'm paid £8.50 an hour.

And if you continue to put in that kind of effort for that kind of money, the company will continue to take advantage of you.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I'm paid £8.50 an hour.

slave labor

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ecco fyi if you see them in person you have the right to dump them because dumping via text doesn't count

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TMMadman posted:

And if you continue to put in that kind of effort for that kind of money, the company will continue to take advantage of you.

That way, my friend, leads to obscurity and irrelevance.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

If you are willing to expend that much energy for that little money then why should the company pay you more?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

This attitude is why companies are doing their best to avoid paying good wages to people.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TMMadman posted:

This attitude is why companies are doing their best to avoid paying good wages to people.

Success doesn't just happen, it's earned.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Realtalk: I absolutely should be paid more than I am but at the same time I love my job more than anything I've ever done and even though this week has been insane it's made our callers (many of which are legit friends of mine) really happy. Also, I've only got another 18 months committed to this place before I start looking to further my career and experience such as this will be incredibly valuable in taking that next step. Also also, money isn't everything.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mean at the end of the day if you're happy, you're happy.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Skiing is so superior for out-of-bounds stuff it's not even a contest, and it is arguably better at goin really really fast. I also feel skiing gives you way more control, but there's room for argument there. Snowboarding is better for anything involving spinning in the air (it's a lot easier to land accurately on one board than two) and is definitely easier to learn. Which is a bit unfortunate, because beginner boarders might be even worse for the snow condition on a slope than rain. If you ever see a run where the middle seven feet has been scraped of anything resembling soft snow, thank a beginner snowboarder. For me skiing wins handily just for the out-of-bounds utility (who wants to ski with safety ropes and plebs, amirite) but I see the appeal of boarding, specifically the whole easier thing.

I have a closet full of board games, and I have favorites for all situations. Bang is my favorite party game (mafia-esque cowboy game), Hive scratches that chess itch when people are scared of chess, Sylvion is really great for solitaire and the box design rules, Ghost Stories and Space Alert are fun co-op, depending on the mood and access to a CD player, and Battlestar Galactica is great if you want some conflict in your life.

Ecco that person is stupid, turn that salmon into something life-changingly good and have a great weekend.

I met some of my students today through a webinar, this is real, I am actually working for Harvard now.
:captainpop:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are you boston local samfu?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Not even close. My entire life has been in the Pacific Northwest.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Why? Are you?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
yessir. Is it like remote teaching at harvard? That's p sweet.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Realtalk: I absolutely should be paid more than I am but at the same time I love my job more than anything I've ever done and even though this week has been insane it's made our callers (many of which are legit friends of mine) really happy. Also, I've only got another 18 months committed to this place before I start looking to further my career and experience such as this will be incredibly valuable in taking that next step. Also also, money isn't everything.

Telling a messenger who makes at best 35,000/yr before taxes that money isn't everything is laughable.

It's great that you love your job (I like mine too) but allowing yourself to be taken advantage of because of it is dumb. If you continue to put in that much effort for that little money you will almost certainly be burned out by the time the 18 months is done.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

No, I'll be teaching in person, but the course isn't until this summer.

In Kenya.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

loling out loud irl

capitalism doesnt work that way bro

if she stops putting in effort they just find someone else out of the millions of people who need jobs.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Abolish capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Samfucius posted:

No, I'll be teaching in person, but the course isn't until this summer.

In Kenya.

:chanpop: