Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

Looper posted:

at least he finishes his lets plays :boom:

How's knight of lodis coming?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611239

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't he abandon a bunch of LPs? I recall Onimusha 3 and FFX at least.

FFX came back from the dead but I didn't track it to see if it finished this time.

What I'm saying is Corn in the Bible has the best track record.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He's currently doing FFX with an update every few days. He's just about to fight Yunalesca.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

don't forget harvest moon 64 :smugdog:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

NikkolasKing posted:

You mean Dark Blast? I used it more in part 1 before melee attacks became the quickest way t o kill poo poo.

I admittedly only ever used Blast, Hand and Lance.

You didn't use Dark Phantasm? That was my main move. It could hit like 20 enemies around you at the same time. This is why I don't know why so many people have a problem with the gameplay. You could just press one button and kill everything on the screen. So at worse you could complain that it isn't challenging enough. A lot of games have enemies that are never challenging and they waste your time because it still takes forever to beat them.

If there were enemies on one side, I used Dark Hand. I only used melee attacks as a follow up move to kill any stragglers.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Super Ninja Fish posted:

You didn't use Dark Phantasm? That was my main move. It could hit like 20 enemies around you at the same time. This is why I don't know why so many people have a problem with the gameplay. You could just press one button and kill everything on the screen. So at worse you could complain that it isn't challenging enough. A lot of games have enemies that are never challenging and they waste your time because it still takes forever to beat them.

If there were enemies on one side, I used Dark Hand. I only used melee attacks as a follow up move to kill any stragglers.

I thought people had a problem with the gameplay because it was bland? I mean it was serviceable but it was pretty dull.

Like this is why more people have played through Nier then any other of Taro's games, it's gameplay is okay at best compared to the Drakengard's really super lovely gameplay.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Golden Goat posted:

I thought people had a problem with the gameplay because it was bland? I mean it was serviceable but it was pretty dull.

Like this is why more people have played through Nier then any other of Taro's games, it's gameplay is okay at best compared to the Drakengard's really super lovely gameplay.
Based on what I know of Drakengard it seems less "lovely" and more "actively hostile to the player".

(and as such I have no desire to play it myself)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Zereth posted:

Based on what I know of Drakengard it seems less "lovely" and more "actively hostile to the player".

(and as such I have no desire to play it myself)

It's both.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Drakengard 1 is a game I am glad that I played, and I can honestly say that I do like, but that I am never going to play again, because it's awful.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't he abandon a bunch of LPs? I recall Onimusha 3 and FFX at least.

Onimusha died due to technical issues iirc (he was playing the awful pc port for some reason)

He also ditched a Fallout 1 LP due to serious personal matters.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just finished Grandia 2, and I'm pretty impressed that they fit an "epic" RPG plot into a very "lean" 30 hour game. The constant pace of progression was pretty great, since it always felt like I was getting better/new poo poo all the time instead of spinning wheels. That said, it definitely shows its age sometimes, most notably in the fact that the magic animations are super long and unskippable, but are essential to killing mobs in a quick and efficient manner. Also, coming off of Trails in the Sky, holy poo poo did I miss a minimap.

Good game, RIP Grandia series.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

GrandpaPants posted:

I just finished Grandia 2, and I'm pretty impressed that they fit an "epic" RPG plot into a very "lean" 30 hour game. The constant pace of progression was pretty great, since it always felt like I was getting better/new poo poo all the time instead of spinning wheels. That said, it definitely shows its age sometimes, most notably in the fact that the magic animations are super long and unskippable, but are essential to killing mobs in a quick and efficient manner. Also, coming off of Trails in the Sky, holy poo poo did I miss a minimap.

Good game, RIP Grandia series.

Grandia 1 is still one of my favorite PS1 rpgs.

:rip: indeed.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Some info on the combat in the new Valkyria demo that's bundled with the Japanese remaster of VC1. I'm not sure I exactly get it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

HGH posted:

Some info on the combat in the new Valkyria demo that's bundled with the Japanese remaster of VC1. I'm not sure I exactly get it.

It seems like it's cover shooter that becomes Lightning Returns when you get into "close combat."

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dark Cloud 2 is out on PS4 right now!

Lord_Of_Overstock
Sep 26, 2015

Nihilarian posted:

Dark Cloud 2 is out on PS4 right now!

Bought! Thanks. It's been over a decade since I played this. One of my favorite ps2 games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I forgot how terrible Dark Cloud 2 was with regard to inventions and photos. A neat concept on paper, but when you are looking for a loving pipe in a city covered in them, and can't get a single idea photo because every pipe-looking thing is apparently ne pas un pipe, it's drives me insane.

Also you pretty much require a guide to get all the inventions.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 20, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I forgot how terrible Dark Cloud 2 was with regard to inventions and photos. A neat concept on paper, but when you are looking for a loving pipe in a city covered in them, and can't get a single idea photo because every is apparently ne pas un pipe, it's drives me insane.

Also you pretty much require a guide to get all the inventions.

Yeah when I first played Dark Cloud 2 I made like five inventions over the whole course of the game because the photo system hated me and finding recipes was a crapshoot most of the time.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I need something to play at the gym. Best PS Vita RPGs. Go!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baby Babbeh posted:

Trails of Cold Steel, Tales of Hearts R, Escha & Logy Plus.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah when I first played Dark Cloud 2 I made like five inventions over the whole course of the game because the photo system hated me and finding recipes was a crapshoot most of the time.

I think I gave up after the 2nd or 3rd "mid-combat" photo I was trying to take. This is even after looking at a guide, because some things are so obscure...

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Baby Babbeh posted:

Persona 4 Golden, Final Fantasy X/X-2, Dungeon Travelers 2 (maybe, pretty pervy), PSX library.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm assuming he's playing these while treadmilling or something, so Tales of Hearts R or other action games might be not what he's looking for.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
brandish

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Baby Babbeh posted:

I'm playing my PSP at the gym and tactics games are the way to go. FFT has been amazing, and I'm planning to do the Disgaea series after I finish it. Best way to extend your exercise. You won't even notice that your body is collapsing all around you, you'll be like 'poo poo just one more battle'

Edit: The important thing to remember is that if you're going to do this you should place some kind of limit like 'I'm only going to play this game at the gym. That way you always feel motivated to go and stay longer'

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what kinds of exercise are you doing at the gym that allows you to play video games at the same time

This isn't an attempt at some kind of an own, I am actually curious

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

what kinds of exercise are you doing at the gym that allows you to play video games at the same time

Bike or something like that probably

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Treadmill or exercise bike usually. Anything that leaves your hands free. I see a lot of people reading books or watching stuff on tablets too.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah I bike. There's one bike at the gym I go to with the handlebars positioned just perfectly to rest my arms on with a PSP while I bike. People have pointed out that you can't get a real intense workout while doing this since you really should be using your upper body and focusing on pushing yourself, but on the other hand I probably wouldn't be going at all if it weren't for the gaming nor would I be able to keep myself going for such a long period of time. The games both motivate me and help me ignore how tough it is so I can sit there exercising for a full hour without feeling the strain on my body. I guess I wouldn't recommend it to folks who are already serious about exercising, but if you want to give yourself an excuse to get out to the gym and at least do SOMETHING it's a great remedy.

Edit: Also it makes super-grindy games way more bearable because you don't feel like you're wasting time anymore.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Baby Babbeh posted:

p4g worked really well for me for doing this

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ah okay

i have a hard time multitasking like that so i just listen to music like a chump

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cake Attack posted:

i have a hard time multitasking like that so i just listen to music like a chump

This, I walk plenty but I can't play something at the same time. I tried it a few times and I go a lot slower. I guess I do a lot of stairs and rough terrain poo poo too though so maybe it's more that it would be dangerous :v:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
eh, your feet are on pedals or paddles, its not like they're going to go flying off into space the moment you stop paying attention

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

eh, your feet are on pedals or paddles, its not like they're going to go flying off into space the moment you stop paying attention

I've seen some people at the gym who would disprove this idea!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Getting over leveled because I enjoy exploring a game world and then get bored because it's too easy is pretty much the story of every RPG I play. Are there any games that deal with this well? Recently Xenoblade CX did a great job solving the problem by always having challenges available regardless of level but I'm pretty much done with it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Yeah I bike. There's one bike at the gym I go to with the handlebars positioned just perfectly to rest my arms on with a PSP while I bike. People have pointed out that you can't get a real intense workout while doing this since you really should be using your upper body and focusing on pushing yourself, but on the other hand I probably wouldn't be going at all if it weren't for the gaming nor would I be able to keep myself going for such a long period of time. The games both motivate me and help me ignore how tough it is so I can sit there exercising for a full hour without feeling the strain on my body. I guess I wouldn't recommend it to folks who are already serious about exercising, but if you want to give yourself an excuse to get out to the gym and at least do SOMETHING it's a great remedy.

Edit: Also it makes super-grindy games way more bearable because you don't feel like you're wasting time anymore.

Sure it's not gonna give you an intense session on a treadmill but it works for you and half the time people are watching videos on the treadmill anyway. Bet you doing that drives people nuts though.

Just don't try squats while playing games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What's the worst character design/outfit you've seen in an RPG/JRPG?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RareAcumen posted:

What's the worst character design/outfit you've seen in an RPG/JRPG?

Luso

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The diamond pattern on the witch/black mage girl in Star Ocean 5's pretty up there off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Better question: What's the best character design/outfit you've seen in an RPG/JRPG?