Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This was just solicited as a variant cover for Superman: American Alien #6, which is an out of continuity origin series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Something about it is off-putting to me and I don't know what. It's an excellent drawing.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Probably Motocross Superman.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah. Why do they keep trying to put Superman in armor or pads?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Same reason they got rid of the red underwear-- ":qq: It looks like pajamas."

Like, ok I'm cool with them wanting it to look more like a flightsuit/spacesuit, but there's got to be a better way to do it than slapping pads on it for texture.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe it is a motorcross outfit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Superman doesn't need armor, he's Superman. If you want to be all tactical realism give him a magical onesie that the Amazons or Dr. Fate made for him so he has something to protect his super-skivvies from random bullets +1.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If you want to be a superhero, then a motorcross outfit is pretty much a ready-made supersuit option.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I could see a young Superman maybe even trying to hide that he's actually a powerful alien and an armored suit maybe tricks people into thinking he's just a normal guy with some high-tech gear.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Superhero? No, I just ride a motorbike.

Where are my feet?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Never fear! Leg-Stump Man has arrived!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Motorcycle leathers would not make good super suits, at least not without some pretty significant modifications, as they're not particularly flexible. They're designed to be comfortable while riding a bike, but tend to look and feel weird when just walking around.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

Superman doesn't need armor, he's Superman. If you want to be all tactical realism give him a magical onesie that the Amazons or Dr. Fate made for him so he has something to protect his super-skivvies from random bullets +1.

It's not about :goonsay:, or at least that kind of :goonsay:. It's about ease when adapting to live-action/cosplay. The "circus strongman" look still works but relies on the person in it being gigantic to pull it off. Adding texture is in some ways a cheat for everyone who isn't 6'4" with the frame of a bodybuilder. I get that. I just don't think it's been pulled off yet.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

mind the walrus posted:

Something about it is off-putting to me and I don't know what. It's an excellent drawing.

I think it's the way his head is turned 90 degrees from his body. I get that it's supposed to be wall art, but aside from the dribbling paint on his logo, it looks too human so it gets a little uncanny valley.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Say Nothing posted:

Superhero? No, I just ride a motorbike.

Where are my feet?

Leifeld

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

If you want to be a superhero, then a motorcross outfit is pretty much a ready-made supersuit option.

She literally looks like Ant-Woman.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hello posting chums, my name is Squizzle and I'm here to say, I think this costume is better than OK:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, never like Diana with a cape, but the basic "Xena but in America colours" is always a solid look.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Eh, never like Diana with a cape,

That's Donna Troy as Wonder Woman. :colbert:

Also, why not? :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

Motorcycle leathers would not make good super suits, at least not without some pretty significant modifications, as they're not particularly flexible. They're designed to be comfortable while riding a bike, but tend to look and feel weird when just walking around.

Tell that to the X-men.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Squizzle posted:

That's Donna Troy as Wonder Woman. :colbert:

Also, why not? :(

I feel like not having one makes her stand out from Batman and Superman a little more, visually. Then again, I actually liked the jacket from the JMS run, so what do I know? (I liked the arm wraps from that design better than the jacket, though.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Tell that to the X-men.

They didn't wear motorcycle leathers. They wore leather suits.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Tell that to the X-men.

What would they say back? Their leather suits look terrible and have from the get-go.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
And noisy as hell from my experiance. "To me my x-men !" Shrorp Shrorp Shrorp Shrorp Squeak Shrorp Shrorp Shrorp Shrorp

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mind the walrus posted:

What would they say back? Their leather suits look terrible and have from the get-go.

No I mean, tell it to them so they stop loving wearing them in those movies.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, what's the verdict on Steve's new Cap costume?

I'll be honest...not a fan.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"Hey remember how no one liked Captain America's costume from the first Avengers movie?"

"Yeah?"

"Let's do that but make him look like a tube of Aquafresh toothpaste while we're at it."

"Oh let's make sure we get rid of the rounded shield. If we're going to go lame we might as well try out any idea we want."

-----------------------

I also look forward to the inevitable scene where Cap stabs someone with the point of the shield, preferably as part of some dialogue where he mentions how he "couldn't do that with the old shield :smug:."

-------------------

In all seriousness it's not the worst, but the red and white piping need serious reworking.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Looks like something that would've come out of the New52 -- overly complex, needlessly dropping/altering classic features and generally heading in a more generic, less iconic direction.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That's a shame, because I absolutely loved his Marvel NOW! costume from just a few years ago. I even bought the action figure, since it was a great blend of his classic costume and the modernized movie look.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

The clear intention is "Make him look like the movie!" but it's just unnecessary and pretty ugly.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
What exactly is the point of the face mask, anyway? Doesn't everyone know it's Steve Rodgers now?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey its Captain Netherlands!

Ears sticking out like that don't look good without wings or at least stylized white stripes.
Diamond shield is bad - I prefer the holographic one that he used during the Super Soldier (Director of SHIELD?) period when Bucky was the official Cap.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Here, I improved it 100% (it still sucks)

How the hell was he going to throw and bounce that pointy thing?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

mind the walrus posted:

I also look forward to the inevitable scene where Cap stabs someone with the point of the shield, preferably as part of some dialogue where he mentions how he "couldn't do that with the old shield :smug:."

Hulk Smash! posted:

Here, I improved it 100% (it still sucks)

How the hell was he going to throw and bounce that pointy thing?
The big party trick is that it...splits in half.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 22, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I hate everything about it.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

But that makes it even worse!

Shield Action!

E: Is that some kind of energy blade at the end of the pointed part? How... edgy :smuggo:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

Toyetic as all hell, they can make a launcher version and a kung fu grip version!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's what Cap was missing, being Wolverine.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

There is no emoji for what I'm feeling right now. It's not a good feeling, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I hate everything about this even more.

• Locked thread