Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

It's fake, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well it's Daily Mail, you never know.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Zemyla posted:

It's fake, sadly.

I love the two stories next to each other at the top.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
This woman is my hero.

e: Oh, it's fake :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
grauniad.txt

Or maybe this one:

This one is just plain funny in how ludicrous it is:

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Jan 20, 2016

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

When my brother was little, he once defined Feudalism as 'obeying the person who was more impotent than you', but I think this kid has him beat:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/20/i-live-in-a-terrorist-house-police-speak-to-muslim-boy-10-over-spelling-error

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Wheat Loaf posted:

grauniad.txt

this title is horrible but i went and found the actual article and the guy raises some good points

basically "screw you, I'll make whatever guacamole I wanna make"

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

this title is horrible but i went and found the actual article and the guy raises some good points

I once heard someone recommend putting sliced cucumbers into guacomole...

No I do not want to come over to your house for snacks tonight! No! I am not your friend stop calling me!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Keystoned posted:

I once heard someone recommend putting sliced cucumbers into guacomole...

No I do not want to come over to your house for snacks tonight! No! I am not your friend stop calling me!

it was peas in a NYT recipe, and Obama's twitter commented on the "controversy"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

Fair enough - I have no interest in reading it. The title by itself is a near-perfect encapsulation of the Graun's whole "gauche caviar lifestyle magazine" thing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fair enough - I have no interest in reading it. The title by itself is a near-perfect encapsulation of the Graun's whole "gauche caviar lifestyle magazine" thing.

oh yeah, there's a reason i looked it up, the title is an absolutely unbelievable sentence

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's another one which I will try to find - it was something to the effect of, "Are you too white, rich and able-bodied to be a real feminist?" which I'm sure probably had reasonable points to make about intersectionality and so on, but is click-baity as anything as a headline.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

it was peas in a NYT recipe, and Obama's twitter commented on the "controversy"

Nope. It was my sister in law asking how to make guacomole because she got a recipe from a friend that called for cucumbers. We told her never to eat with her friend again.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tj-Hp7AYlk

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This woman is my hero.

e: Oh, it's fake :(

everything Say Nothing posts is fake

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Still better than 99% of the thread.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I highly doubt that woman can fit in a fridge.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Scathach posted:

I highly doubt that woman can fit in a fridge.

I'd say she's gotten into a lot of them.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

everything Say Nothing posts is fake

My thread!
Fake is fine, as long as it is funny.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

It's in Massachusetts

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
I have family that lives in Sandwich. Grew up a couple towns over. It never once occurred to me there was anything odd about the town's name until I went to college in a different state and my friends laughed at me. Mind was blown that day.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

VoteTedJameson posted:

I have family that lives in Sandwich. Grew up a couple towns over. It never once occurred to me there was anything odd about the town's name until I went to college in a different state and my friends laughed at me. Mind was blown that day.

I grew up next to King of Prussia,PA and never realized it was odd until the same thing happened to me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

AFewBricksShy posted:

I grew up next to King of Prussia,PA and never realized it was odd until the same thing happened to me.

I mean Conshohocken also sounds insane...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

see thats what you get living in a new country. everybody naming their poo poo after recent things.

anyway for the sandwich dude: sandwiches are supposedly named after the earl of sandwich (in england) so your town's name is actually less weird than the foodstuff. depending on the timeline, it might even be older than actual sandwiches.

where im from, place names are usually from prehistory & have to be dated by suffixes. Certain names were used in certain periods. Obv, they adjust by other factors but goddamn living in a country that is a child.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I mean Conshohocken also sounds insane...

Not as bad as Humptulips.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

where im from, place names are usually from prehistory & have to be dated by suffixes. Certain names were used in certain periods. Obv, they adjust by other factors but goddamn living in a country that is a child.
Poopybutts Village
Brianhasasmalldick Town

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

coleman francis posted:

I love the two stories next to each other at the top.

Now that one's real:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This is in the Guardian today:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/23/worm-fell-into-mouth-my-life-as-a-badger

My life as a badger:

quote:

Tom needed to sleep, so he did, curled foetally on bracken, his paws, earth-brown from digging, clasped under his chin. I, too, needed to sleep, so I didn’t. We had to change our rhythm to that of the badgers, which meant sleeping in the day, but, at least at first, I found the sett a threatening place. Was this an old fear of burial? A worm fell into my mouth. I gagged quietly and went back to sleep.

We shaped the sett with our paws and a child's beach spade. We tried to scuffle out the earth with our hind legs Those first few days taught me a lot. They taught me that, despite my shaggy, anarchic pretensions, I was dismally suburban: I preferred a whitewashed wall to the endless fascination of a real earth one. I preferred my ideas of badgers and the wild to real badgers and real wilderness. They were more obedient and less complex. And they didn’t broadcast my inadequacies so deafeningly.

But I learned to like that burrow. Habit is tremendously powerful. Merely having a place at the end pressed to the shape of my body was enough to change my appetite for underground living. From that low platform, I could jump to more complex forms of appreciation: the shape of the window on the sunlit world that was the tunnel’s end; the exuberant spectrum of smells as I crawled up through a cervix of earth and leaf mould and out, panting from the effort. It was OK to lie in the dark, surrounded by the scratching and humming and thrashing of animals that would one day eat me. Quite a lot of being a badger consisted simply in allowing the wood to do to us what it did to a badger: being there when it rained; keeping badgers’ hours; letting bluebells brush your face instead of your boots.

I cannot work out whether this is parody or not. Charles Foster seems to be a real guy....?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This is in the Guardian today:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/23/worm-fell-into-mouth-my-life-as-a-badger

My life as a badger:

I cannot work out whether this is parody or not. Charles Foster seems to be a real guy....?

Humans can't really navigate or live in an underground burrow, and I can't imagine badgers just being cool with some dude cozying on up to them

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Screaming Idiot posted:

He looks like Gary Oldman in the Dark Knight.

He's the rear end in a top hat we deserve, but not the one we need right now

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Or maybe this one:

Anti-environmentalism bordering on racism

What the gently caress

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phlegmish posted:

What the gently caress

It's a bit odd. You'd expect British leftists to be supportive of steam trains if they're keeping coal miners in work. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phlegmish posted:

What the gently caress

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/22/thomas-the-tank-engine-children-parents

The full article is pretty lol. Some highlights:

quote:

There are many terrible children's programs through which parents must suffer during their child's young life. For every Sesame Street, there is an annoying Caillou or an acid-trippy Yo Gabba Gabba. But Thomas and Friends is – or was – the one show with enough subversive messages to make me turn it off for good.

quote:

Thomas and those friends are trains that toil away endlessly on the Isle of Sodor – which seems to be forever caught in British colonial times – and, on its surface, the show seems to impart good moral lessons about hard work and friendship. But if you look through the steam rising up from the coal-powered train stacks, you realize that the pretty puffs of smoke are concealing some pretty twisted, anachronistic messages.

quote:

these trains perform tasks dictated by their imperious, little white boss, Sir Topham Hatt (also known as The Fat Controller), whose attire of a top hat, tuxedo and big round belly is just a little too obvious. Basically, he's the Monopoly dictator of their funky little island.

Inevitably, the trains get in a fight with or pick on one another (or generally mess up whatever job they are supposed to be doing) until Hatt has to scold one of them about being a "really useful engine", because their sole utility in life is their ability to satisfy his whims. Yeah, because I want to teach my kid to admire a controlling autocrat.

quote:

(For the record, all the "villains" on Thomas and Friends are the dirty diesel engines. I'd like to think there was a good environmental message in there, but when the good engines pump out white smoke and the bad engines pump out black smoke – and they are all pumping out smoke – it's not hard to make the leap into the race territory.)

quote:

But once James gets back on the rails and picks up Granddaughter Hatt and her friends, all seemingly ends well because the girls love pink.

Well guess what? It's not OK. You think a little boy watching Thomas is going to file away the lesson that pink is OK for boys? No, what kids remember is that James was laughed at, cruelly, over and over again, because he looked different and was clad in a "girly" pink color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Put this in perspective for yourself: This person called Thomas the Tank Engine racist because the steam trains billow out white smoke and the coal trains billow out black smoke. Just think about that for a second.