Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

But it's optional.

True but think what Rastor was getting at is that most people (particularly someone also considering an iPad) don't understand what SD cards are for. Most people just assume that SD cards mean that your 16GB tablet is now an 80GB tablet (16+64GB) which you and I know isn't the case at all prior to Marshmallow.

Granted he explained it in a kind of weird way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

True but think what Rastor was getting at is that most people (particularly someone also considering an iPad) don't understand what SD cards are for. Most people just assume that SD cards mean that your 16GB tablet is now an 80GB tablet (16+64GB) which you and I know isn't the case at all prior to Marshmallow.

Granted he explained it in a kind of weird way.

I'm just confused about suggesting getting a tablet that will never be updated to 6.0. If you're on a previous version and update to 6.0, you'd just continue using the SD card like you were, but now knowing that you have the option to use it as part of the total storage instead. Am I missing something that MM does when you upgrade? I don't actually own a device with an SD slot so I might have missed something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm just confused about suggesting getting a tablet that will never be updated to 6.0. If you're on a previous version and update to 6.0, you'd just continue using the SD card like you were, but now knowing that you have the option to use it as part of the total storage instead. Am I missing something that MM does when you upgrade? I don't actually own a device with an SD slot so I might have missed something.

Oh yeah, that makes no sense. As far as I'm aware you're correct, the changes in Marshmallow are entirely opt-in.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What changed in 6.0 other than the option to merge your SD card with your internal storage if you want? Doesn't it otherwise work just like it did in 5.x?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Other than adopted storage, there are changes to the permission model. Hopefully all your SD-using apps will be / have already been updated, but for me at least I had at least one that suddenly lacked permission to access the SD card despite working on Lollipop.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

orinth posted:

What is everyone's thoughts on the galaxy tab s2? I haven't seen it mentioned a ton in this thread or the recommend me a tablet thread.

I've been going back and forth between an ipad mini and the S2, but am leaning towards an android tablet with a microsd slot.
I like my original Galaxy Tab S, so assuming the S2 is a typical incremental upgrade it should at least be okay.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i found some tablets. not sure if they're any good. can I get someone's opinion.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

atomicthumbs posted:

i found some tablets. not sure if they're any good. can I get someone's opinion.

Nope. Looks like the larger ones are prototype HP Touchpad's? Are those smaller ones square? Either way, the $50 Amazon Fire would run circles around them in every way you can imagine.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

That square thing appears to have a Samsung home button but I can't find any information about any square tablets. Alibaba seemed like it might have some, but none that looked like that.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That square thing appears to have a Samsung home button but I can't find any information about any square tablets. Alibaba seemed like it might have some, but none that looked like that.

Well, if they're all prototypes they could be something that Samsung mocked up but never released.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the one in the lower picture is the smaller one

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Ah. So it is. A quick google search of the model number (FB386UA) suggests it may have been called the HP Touchpad Go but was never released.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

guess I can't put android on them, then. oh well, to recycling they go

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Probably a collector's market for such things, might want to look around first.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

You can put Android on the HP Touchpad, we're just saying, it may not be a great experience.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

atomicthumbs posted:

I'll give you $20 for one of 'em if it has a charger or can use a standard mini or micro usb.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Rastor posted:

The Shield K1 is like 99% of being Nexus 7 2015, nVidia has been pretty good about keeping things fairly stock and getting updates out.

Doesn't the Shield K1 have a Tegra K1 in it though? I thought those were terrible, given the bad reviews of the Nexus 9, does it not suck rear end with Marshmallow finally?

Oh right, it's because the N9 used that special crappy 64-bit 'Denver' ARM variant, but I guess the Shield K1 is still 32-bit

On that note, I wonder what the Tegra X1 is like in the Pixel C (and whatever the next Shield tablet is probably)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like my K1 a lot. It's like a new Nexus and has the bonus of a decent stylus. I really really miss double tap to wake, though.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I hear nothing but positive things about the X1. Hopefully going to find out great things firsthand after getting a Shield TV.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone with a K1 want to comment on SD cards? I've been eyeing some 128gb samsungs but am hesitating since google turns up some people who say it won't work or won't format properly.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Virtue posted:

Anyone with a K1 want to comment on SD cards? I've been eyeing some 128gb samsungs but am hesitating since google turns up some people who say it won't work or won't format properly.

Nvidia advertises 128GB cards to work.

Personal suggestion.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U77V5KU/ref=twister_B00WECRAF0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 21, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tatsujin posted:

Doesn't the Shield K1 have a Tegra K1 in it though? I thought those were terrible, given the bad reviews of the Nexus 9, does it not suck rear end with Marshmallow finally?

Oh right, it's because the N9 used that special crappy 64-bit 'Denver' ARM variant, but I guess the Shield K1 is still 32-bit

On that note, I wonder what the Tegra X1 is like in the Pixel C (and whatever the next Shield tablet is probably)

I'd kind of like to hear what the Pixel C's like too if anyone has one, because I'm thinking of upgrading to it from my Nexus 10 at some point.
(And yes, having a non-terrible 64 bit processor is one reason why)

jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.

feedmegin posted:

I'd kind of like to hear what the Pixel C's like too if anyone has one, because I'm thinking of upgrading to it from my Nexus 10 at some point.
(And yes, having a non-terrible 64 bit processor is one reason why)

I've had one for about a month (64GB model). For years I've been looking for a no compromise Android tablet, and I've tried Sony, Samsung, as well as a Nexus 10 and a Nexus 9. This is the first one, imo, that delivers on all accounts. The performance is excellent and the battery life for me has been amazing. The build quality is second to none. In fact most of the reviews I see say "great tablet, shame about Android," and I have to say I just don't get that. For the most part, all the apps I use are pretty decent on a tablet, and I'm baffled why critics pick _this_ tablet to complain about the Android tablet application eco system--it's not exactly a new issue. In any event, maybe it's to beat Google over the head hoping to ensure that Android "N" adds more tablet friendly features. From my point of view, this is the absolute pinnacle of Android tablets--if you're using a Nexus 10, I think you'll really like it (my 10 had some NAND problem (I think) that would cause it to reboot regularly, and I also thought the build quality was absolute crap). Let me know if you have more specific questions.

P.S. I've got the optional non folio keyboard and it's a beautiful piece of work--I haven't experience any key lag or other issues that have been reported in reviews.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Any particular reason why that brand? I was looking at
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P3NMVVU?keywords=samsung%20evo%20128&qid=1453398870&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0118LR9Z8?keywords=samsung%20evo%20128&qid=1453398870&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

since I know samsung is a big name

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You said so yourself, Samsung has some problems in the Shield tablet. Lexar would be the next best choice. The first option is a 300 MB/s card for $120. The second is a 150 MB/s card for $60. Finally, the last one is the equivalent of a Samsung Pro Micro SD.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Anecdotal, yes, but I have a 64GB Samsung card in my first-gen Shield (K1?) and it has been nothing but perfect so far.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

SlayVus posted:

You said so yourself, Samsung has some problems in the Shield tablet. Lexar would be the next best choice. The first option is a 300 MB/s card for $120. The second is a 150 MB/s card for $60. Finally, the last one is the equivalent of a Samsung Pro Micro SD.

I like to think of myself as tech literate but don't know much about sd cards. I haven't heard of lexar before. Are they as reliable as the big names? Since I don't know what the difference is between those cards, I have some googling to do.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Lexar has been a major name in the business since CompactFlash and SmartMedia was about all you can get. They're no fly by night group, though they tend to wait a little for new stuff to shake out before making their own.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone here buy a Pixel C? How do we feel about it now that we're out of the honeymoon period? I sort of want one as a replacement for my aging N7 / N10 but £400 is a lot for a tablet. And then I also have an utterly unjustifiable desire to own that magnet keyboard thing even though I think Android is lovely OS for productivity. I don't even know what I want to do with it, but I definitely want one.

Any opinions from people who own the thing? Did the keyboard connectivity issues ever get resolved? Any performance issues?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah the guy 5 posts above you bought one and wrote down his thoughts.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Daimo posted:

Yeah the guy 5 posts above you bought one and wrote down his thoughts.
Yes, I apparently can't read. Cool, that's useful. Still interested in other experiences if anyone has any to offer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I posted earlier about my c and not much has changed. I had been wanting a new nexus 10 and the c might as well be it. The reviews are all pretty spot on where the main problem is Android itself, but you already know what to expect there. I initially had problems with touch input but they magically went away. I've never had any problems with the keyboard but that seems to happen due to 2.4GHz congestion and my house is all 5GHz WiFi. I don't take mine outside so the reflective screen doesn't matter to me either.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is some older games don't handle the aspect ratio properly and they crop instead of letterbox, making them unplayable.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
My friend had the same issue on her Nexus 9. One game had parts of the interface noticeably offscreen, because 4:3 is weird and radical. That kind of turned me off the C, because, well. Also I prefer 16:9 even if games handle it perfectly, because unletterboxed movies are better than letterboxed.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Looking to replace my seemingly ancient iPad with a Android Tablet. I'm new to the Android ecosystem; is there an advantage to going with a Samsung tablet if I have a Samsung phone?

I was looking at the S2, but all I really do with my iPad is browse on Chrome, reddit/SA apps and watch Netflix in bed. Is there anything terribly wrong with the cheaper Tab A / E that I should be weary about? If I'm on a plane (maybe twice a year, tops) I'll play an hour of Kingdom Rush or some such tower D game, but nothing too intense.

I'm not against spending $500-600 on a tablet, just worried about diminishing returns for my usage.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If that's all you're looking for, I'd take a look at the $50 Fire Tablet. Plenty powerful enough for that, screen is fine for watching stuff on Netflix though not amazing or anything. Main reason to go with something expensive is going to be a bigger/fancier screen.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

DemonMage posted:

If that's all you're looking for, I'd take a look at the $50 Fire Tablet. Plenty powerful enough for that, screen is fine for watching stuff on Netflix though not amazing or anything. Main reason to go with something expensive is going to be a bigger/fancier screen.

I initially explored that option, but they dont' seem to be available in Canada.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reggie Died posted:

Looking to replace my seemingly ancient iPad with a Android Tablet. I'm new to the Android ecosystem; is there an advantage to going with a Samsung tablet if I have a Samsung phone?

I was looking at the S2, but all I really do with my iPad is browse on Chrome, reddit/SA apps and watch Netflix in bed. Is there anything terribly wrong with the cheaper Tab A / E that I should be weary about? If I'm on a plane (maybe twice a year, tops) I'll play an hour of Kingdom Rush or some such tower D game, but nothing too intense.

I'm not against spending $500-600 on a tablet, just worried about diminishing returns for my usage.

No, there's no need to match your phone and tablet brands.

If you're OK with a smaller tablet, the Shield Tablet K1 is nice.
For larger android tablets everything has some kind of compromise. For example, most of them won't be getting much support in the form of software upgrades etc. The reason to go with a Tab S or Tab S2 (besides the better specs) is that they get at least some security updates.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I have one of those cheap Amazon Fire 7 tablets showing up on Monday, anyone have the relevant links for the ad removal / installing google store / etc stuff handy? And is there a thread about those or not really?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I didn't have to worry about driver install so I just used Option 2 there and then looked at the bat file and used the option 7 commands to install the Google Now launcher from apkmirror. And option 8 to get rid of the lockscreen ads. Also this is the thread for tablets.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks. If anyone else has anything with a more idiot-friendly guide feel free to post it for me, because I am in fact an idiot. I've had an ASUS tablet for awhile but haven't really tinkered with it so my android knowledge is pretty minimal.

Edit: I guess the stuff on there I am dumbest about is 1) do i need to do this stuff as soon as I turn it on the first time, after I set it up with my Amazon account, what? 2) Is there a reason to block the ota updates? Do I have to never update the system ever if I install these modifications? 3) Does that gently caress with the amazon account functionality, do I just use the standard android Amazon app instead?

Oh, and I guess does Amazon give a poo poo if I do this instead of paying them the 15 bucks to drop the ads? I enjoy my account and would rather not gently caress it up.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

My 2012 Nexus 7 is really long in the tooth. It never got the bad flash problem but I want to replace it with something that can play games a bit better because it drags a bit on Hearthstone and Summoners War.

Can anyone recommend a 7-8" tablet that:
- Can play newer games
- Uses Google Play because the games I want aren't on Amaazon yet
- Has at least 1280x800 or better display that is not 4:3
- Has charging port on the short side since I have it in a landscape cradle 99% of the time
- Is cheap af

Thanks!