Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Has anyone ever dealt with cats that are addicted to a toy?

We bought a motorised "Cat's Meow" toy that both of our cats absolutely love. Our new cat Hari is obssessed with the toy though - she will occasionally try and pull it down from the shelf if she sees where we put it and just meows like crazy each time we turn it off until we put it back on again. We've been eliminating all the potential meowing sources - water, food, litter, attention - and nope, each time she just wants to stomp on the little motorised rubber stick forever.

Not a problem as such, except for the constant whining, but has anyone else dealt with this kind of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

We bought a motorised "Cat's Meow" toy that both of our cats absolutely love. Our new cat Hari is obssessed with the toy though - she will occasionally try and pull it down from the shelf if she sees where we put it and just meows like crazy each time we turn it off until we put it back on again. We've been eliminating all the potential meowing sources - water, food, litter, attention - and nope, each time she just wants to stomp on the little motorised rubber stick forever.

Not a problem as such, except for the constant whining, but has anyone else dealt with this kind of thing?

The cat I was speaking about last page actually has a toy she is addicted to. She'll wake us up consistently any night it is out, and meow constantly while playing with it. I've started putting it in a drawer at night. Sometimes I forget about it for a bit and so does she. Then I'll take it out and she'll go crazy again for a day or two.

It seems like her issues walking were not directly from pain meds or anesthesia. I think she just tweaked her leg, hips, or back while out of it. Either in surgery, while recovering in the kennel, or when she got home. Slowly but surely making progress.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
I have been thinking about getting a cat for awhile now. An old co-worker of mine is currently fostering a 2 year old cat. The cat is getting spayed on Friday. Once the cat is feeling up to it, I am going to be going over there to meet her and decide if we are a good match.

As a first time cat owner, is there anything in particular I should be asking? I figure knowing the cats preference for litter/food is a good start. Anything else I should be asking?

I am planning on moving to a new apartment in 2-3 months. Would this many relocates be traumatic to a cat?

And here are the pictures she sent me:

friggin adorable

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sypher posted:

I have been thinking about getting a cat for awhile now. An old co-worker of mine is currently fostering a 2 year old cat. The cat is getting spayed on Friday. Once the cat is feeling up to it, I am going to be going over there to meet her and decide if we are a good match.

As a first time cat owner, is there anything in particular I should be asking? I figure knowing the cats preference for litter/food is a good start. Anything else I should be asking?

I am planning on moving to a new apartment in 2-3 months. Would this many relocates be traumatic to a cat?

And here are the pictures she sent me:

friggin adorable

Aww, what a cute cat! And good on you taking in a young adult rather than a tiny kitten. A bit surprised she's only being spayed now, they usually get spayed as kittens.

I can't think of anything to ask, but I wouldn't worry about relocates traumatising the cat. She'll might hide for a bit, but she'll get over it eventually. Start with confining her to one smaller room, like a laundry or bathroom, with her food and water and litter. Once she's settled in and comfortable around you, let her out to the rest of the place. Cats like small spaces, it makes them feel secure.

And, as always, if you want to absolutely maximise kitty happiness then shell out for some Feliway.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
In my experience, other than the actual transport from one place to another, cats loving love moves. All the boxes and paper and the constantly bringing out new stuff you had stored makes for basically Cat-Disneyland.

YMMV if your cat is one of those that HATES CHANGE, of course.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I think the cat is more likely to be worried about the strange new human and being away from the humans she knows than about being in a new house, for what it's worth.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm going to shave my cat. He gets matts in his fur all the time, and today I had a disastrous runny-poos-stuck-to-bumfur scenario.

Any particular pointers? As far as I understand, it's just a case of "subdue cat, shave, wash oil off with cat shampoo". He's not compliant when wrestled down, but not bitey or clawy, just wanting to get away. I've had some success so far sort of wrapping my legs around his torso to hold him down, using my left hand to move his tail out the way and my right to trim the fur, though that was for bum maintenance.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
RIP Hyperlynx.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm going to shave my cat. He gets matts in his fur all the time, and today I had a disastrous runny-poos-stuck-to-bumfur scenario.

Any particular pointers? As far as I understand, it's just a case of "subdue cat, shave, wash oil off with cat shampoo". He's not compliant when wrestled down, but not bitey or clawy, just wanting to get away. I've had some success so far sort of wrapping my legs around his torso to hold him down, using my left hand to move his tail out the way and my right to trim the fur, though that was for bum maintenance.

I recently tried this myself with a cat. The cat was fine (although squirmy). The problem I had was the proper adjustment of the clippers. There's a lever of the left to adjust the blade depth, and I had it set all the way back to minimize the chance of catching her skin. All the way back also meant I didn't cut much of anything, so it was a real chore.

So set the blades to mid-depth to cut faster. Otherwise it should be fine. Your trim job will look like hell, but it's not a show cat so who cares.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

Our orange boy is the same way, yesterday we had to sit his back half in the sink and rinse a bunch of poo off him. We were planning on shaving his rump but not the rest of him, maybe start with that so if you can't get all the way through at least you've got no more poop fur.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015
Maggie wanted to say hi and represent the long haired dilute calico club.

Content:

Then she turned away and slept.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Why does my rear end in a top hat cat attack my feet/roll over on his back in front of where i'm walking when I'm walking from my kitchen to my bedroom, but never from the bedroom to the kitchen? This happens no matter if he has a full bowl of food in the kitchen or not...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mcmagic posted:

Why does my rear end in a top hat cat attack my feet/roll over on his back in front of where i'm walking when I'm walking from my kitchen to my bedroom, but never from the bedroom to the kitchen? This happens no matter if he has a full bowl of food in the kitchen or not...

Because he is a cat.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I checked and got mod permission to post this, and please don't misinterpret this as a request for money or anything like that.

I am trying to rehome a "stray" cat in Austin on very short notice. The short version: my wife and I have a young female cat, maybe six to eight months we think, a classic Halloween-esque black shorthair. She found us on the street last night and followed us home, and is at this very moment trying to get on the laptop keyboard is trying to groom my arm with her tongue is very clearly a housecat and not a feral cat. She had no collar and does not appear to be chipped. We cannot keep her for a couple of reasons and we are already in violation of our lease by keeping her here at all; we need to have her out of the apartment by the end of tomorrow to avoid being in trouble with the management. She is incredibly sweet, affectionate, and reliant on human contact and we want to try to avoid taking her to the Humane Society or the city shelter because of how traumatic that would be.

If anyone in Austin can help, please contact me via PM or by phone/text at 512/323-6534 between now and Thursday afternoon. If we have no other alternatives we will be taking her to the city shelter on Levander tomorrow.

Black cats don't photograph well, but:

The long version: on the way home from grocery shopping this cat came out from under a car in the parking lot of a gunsmith (welcome to Texas) and treated us like we'd just walked into a house where she lived. She begged for affection, ran between our legs, meowed at us, and followed us a good quarter-mile home through traffic. When we got home she would not leave our apartment doorstep, and we eventually relented.

My wife is a cat person and says that this is the sweetest at she has ever seen. She is incredibly affectionate, purrs like a motorcycle, cries if you shut the bedroom door and leave her alone, and when you tell her to stop doing something (like climbing on a desk) she will actually stop doing it. She is clearly a housecat, litter box trained, recognizes the sound of cat food being poured into a bowl, incredibly well socialized, and we have no idea what she was doing out on the street with no collar and (apparently) no chip.

The thing is that we cannot keep her for two big reasons: first, I am badly allergic and it is only through Zyrtec that I am breathing at all right now. Second, we cannot afford to keep her for financial reasons. We do not have a pet fee+deposit in place for our apartment and cannot afford to pay one, as my wife and I are both to some degree disabled and are on a fixed income. Even if we could afford the fee+deposit and pet rent, we would be unable to handle any medical emergencies that might arise and it would be irresponsible of us to keep her. (Again, we are not asking for money or donations or anything along those lines because that would not solve the problem.)

I have been up front with our apartment management because getting caught lying about a pet would be far worse, and our manager is not thrilled. She understands, however, and as long as we have the cat out of the apartment by the end of tomorrow (Thursday the 21st) we're not going to have any problems.

We had originally planned to only keep the cat overnight, and deliver her to the city shelter or the Humane Society today, but circumstances conspired. In addition, my wife is already very attached, after having to leave her own cat overseas when she moved to the United States to marry me, and she really does not want to see this sweet cat left in a shelter where she's going to cry for days because she doesn't have any human contact.

If we have to, we'll be taking her to the city shelter facility on Levander tomorrow afternoon, but we'd love to be able to hand her to somebody directly. We've looked at all of the lost pet listing for Austin that we could find, with no luck, and now we're out of time. I know that this is along shot but we felt we had to try.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

When you say "apparently no chip", does that mean you've taken kitty to a vet to scan for one, or just looked for one yourself? It's not always possible to find them without a scanner, as far as I know.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Hyperlynx posted:

When you say "apparently no chip", does that mean you've taken kitty to a vet to scan for one, or just looked for one yourself? It's not always possible to find them without a scanner, as far as I know.

We haven't been able to take her to a vet, due to lack of money and transportation (since we don't own a car). I've felt for one and not found it, which is why I said "apparently", but I probably should have been more clear. She's a little thin (and boy was she hungry when she got here) and I'm pretty sure I would have found one if it was there, but I could of course be wrong.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Aw, drat. My wife and I are starting to think a cat would be nice around the place again - nobody will replace Mocha, but it's great having a fuzzball around, y'know? We went tot he Ottawa Humane Society, and found this really awesome dude - black & white, about 4 years old. He was a little shy... for 30 seconds. Then the purring and the headbutts and the flopping down on you and monopolizing your hand for more headscratches.

We weren't quite ready to take him home - we needed to do a carpet shampoo throughout the place and a heavy wash of Mocha's old cat bed, as well as pick up a scratching post - and so I guess someone else realized just how cool he was while we were prepping.

It's ok, though, there's always cats who need homes at the OHS!

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Aw, drat. My wife and I are starting to think a cat would be nice around the place again - nobody will replace Mocha, but it's great having a fuzzball around, y'know? We went tot he Ottawa Humane Society, and found this really awesome dude - black & white, about 4 years old. He was a little shy... for 30 seconds. Then the purring and the headbutts and the flopping down on you and monopolizing your hand for more headscratches.

We weren't quite ready to take him home - we needed to do a carpet shampoo throughout the place and a heavy wash of Mocha's old cat bed, as well as pick up a scratching post - and so I guess someone else realized just how cool he was while we were prepping.

Pick Pippa!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, Pippa is a slam dunk there. Obviously the superior cat.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I dunno, did you guys see Sylvester on Page 2?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

JohnnyCanuck posted:

His coloring makes his face look incredibly wide. It's adorable.

I've been telling everyone our girl Blakely is a dilute calico, but based on those pictures of Maggie above I don't know if she is because she has no where near as much white. I've looked online and maybe she's a blue cream? Any thoughts?

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I would call it dilute tortie, with a bib. I would also call it cuter than hell :kimchi:

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

CompactFanny posted:

I would call it dilute tortie, with a bib. I would also call it cuter than hell :kimchi:

This seems right!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

CompactFanny posted:

She's the sweetest cat in the world too. She loves laying on you and snuggles in general, and she especially loves belly rubs of any duration.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm going to be flying from Berlin to Barcelona in March, was wondering if anyone has some tips on making this as painless as possible for my cats?

It's not a terribly long trip, about two hours and a half, but on top of the time for getting to/from the airports, being there early for the animal check-in, etc. it's probably five to six hours.
I'm paying for a friend to come with me so that I can have both cats in the cabin, gently caress the cargo.
They each have a Sleepypod Air bag, which are pretty nicely designed.
One of them is an easily scared, nervous thing so I'll be asking the vet about if she recommends giving her someting for the trip or not.

Besides some puppy training towels, gloves, (empty) water dishes and baggies of dry food is there anything else I should think about?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
We took the cat that lives on our porch to the vet because of his ear problems and he recommends putting him down since he's too old for surgery. (chronic ear infection and he's like 20+)

:smithicide:

EDIT: Sleep now, Precious the Cat. I'll miss you so much.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 21, 2016

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

JohnnyCanuck posted:

OMG, there's a page 2! Hugo!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

We took the cat that lives on our porch to the vet because of his ear problems and he recommends putting him down since he's too old for surgery. (chronic ear infection and he's like 20+)

:smithicide:

EDIT: Sleep now, Precious the Cat. I'll miss you so much.

He's sitting in a rocking chair on the big wooden porch in kitty heaven now.

toe knee hand posted:

Hugo 2016

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Twinkle is obviously the best of those cats. Tabby cats are the best cats AND she has a white belly and socks? Clearly the winner.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

MikeCrotch posted:

We have a multicolored fleece wand that I got for Tucker around age 2 1/2- 3 years.

He is now 7, and forcibly scratches at the base of the sliding closet door to open it, and jump atop the water heater to get it. No matter where I hide it, he finds it, and there is a trail of destruction leading to where I hid it.

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

Mango Polo posted:

Besides some puppy training towels, gloves, (empty) water dishes and baggies of dry food is there anything else I should think about?

Spray Feliway in the carrier the night before and just before the flight. Add a change of cloths to the list you don't want to be sitting in cat pee. A harnesses without metal fittings to keep them safe when you pass through security.

I have flown with my cat a couple of times and i usually pull up food 8 hours before the flight.

http://www.amazon.com/TSA-Fast-Pass-Leash-Harness/dp/B008AWCLAW

toe knee hand posted:

The blue bunny fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 22, 2016

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Hugo sounds like the orange version of my cat. Like, they aren't gonna say "this is a lazy rear end cat" but the clues are there. For mine they said he was "laid-back" and wanted "to enjoy the easy life". This is good if you want a cat that won't get into any trouble because it just can't be bothered. If you want a cat to entertain you, well, this is not your cat, but if you want a low maintenance easy-going lap cat, well, adopt Hugo already.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

The blue bunny posted:

Spray Feliway in the carrier the night before and just before the flight. Add a change of cloths to the list you don't want to be sitting in cat pee. A harnesses without metal fittings to keep them safe when you pass through security.

I have flown with my cat a couple of times and i usually pull up food 8 hours before the flight.

http://www.amazon.com/TSA-Fast-Pass-Leash-Harness/dp/B008AWCLAW

Oh that's a good idea, I didn't think about having to remove the cats from their carriers for security check.
I do wonder about the whole "must be able to stand up and turn around comfortably" clause that all airlines have, because that seems utterly impossible for any animal to do while still maintaining the carrier dimension requirements.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

toe knee hand posted:

RIP Hyperlynx.

For what it's worth: I didn't die, but my clippers aren't good enough to get through the fur other than in teeny weeny quantities, so I switched to scissors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb2bq5Wjxto

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
So, we took our orange boy Carl to get his teeth cleaned, and they found some mouth ulcers and his creatinine levels were high so we have him taking medicine and we switched his diet. Lately he has been sneezing a lot, and I know URI needs to be taken seriously in cats. He doesn't appear to have any labored breathing, I put my ear up to his chest and everything sounds fine (totally not a doctor of any sort though). Between having been on anesthesia, being on a medication, and being on different food, there's so many things I can think of that might be seen as the cause, and the weather just turned cold here in Texas too so I don't know if he's reacting to that either. Does sneezing warrant another trip to the vet, because I don't think I could isolate the cause on my own right now with all the stuff going on.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

dopaMEAN posted:

I've got a 9 year old indoor-only Maine Coon mix that has been losing weight and coughing and I'd love some advice about how to manage the symptoms.

His vet appointment two weeks ago didn't turn up much- lungs were fine, only abnormal labs were high creatinine (maybe from weight loss) and low white blood cell count (maybe from acute stress). We're going to retest the blood panel in two weeks to see if there's a pattern of decreasing white blood cell count.

The vet recommended working on asthma triggers by removing dust, getting a humidifier, and switching his litter (my husband picked up Arm and Hammer around when the coughing began). He also suggested we consider an elimination diet.

Since I got back from vacation and I have started cleaning more aggressively, bought a humidifier, and bought new litter. But I don't want to try an elimination diet just yet, since they're already eating a fairly high quality chicken-based diet (Simply Nourish Senior).

I'm nervous about the weight loss (16.5 lbs -> 14lbs in an unknown period, maximum of a year). He was mildly overweight to start so he isn't underweight yet, but he's on the low end of normal based on rib feel. He seems to be less interested in food, mostly eating the broth out of his canned shredded chicken and eating way less kibble. If our scale is accurate enough to judge this, he's lost .3lbs in two weeks.

How do I get him to eat more? What else should I be doing?

Update on this weirdo medical case:

We've switched vets. My friend, a horse vet at the university, persuaded me to switch and got me a recommendation.

We took him to the new vet on Wednesday. He's down to 12.95lbs, but his X-rays look good and he doesn't have FIV or leukemia. He did have a lot of poo in his colon, it's likely he's a little constipated. The vet sent off some tests for GI problems to Texas AM and we should get those results soon.

The vet sent him home with a deworming medication, anti nausea medication, and a shot of b vitamins.

And now he's not wheezing or coughing anymore! Not even when he jumps on my dresser, which always made him wheeze. It's the weirdest thing!

It doesn't seem like enough time has passed for the wormer to have had an effect on his respiration and he hasn't passed any worms. He has only vomited once in 48h, which is less than usual, but it seems crazy that it would make the wheezing stop. Based on some google searches there doesn't seem to be a connection between b vitamins and coughing.

What magic was worked?!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Had to take the cat to the vet because of a horrible smell coming from her collar/bandage. I was thinking the tube entry hole had gotten infected. Luckily, it wasn't. The area was cleaned up and the bandage was replaced. She had to be lightly sedated (which in itself was unintentionally hilarious).

Also, she had stopped eating on her own again. More Prednisolone was prescribed.

Now, the loving tube is clogged again. Hopefully, they can squeeze me in tomorrow and get it cleared.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Reik posted:

So, we took our orange boy Carl to get his teeth cleaned, and they found some mouth ulcers and his creatinine levels were high so we have him taking medicine and we switched his diet. Lately he has been sneezing a lot, and I know URI needs to be taken seriously in cats. He doesn't appear to have any labored breathing, I put my ear up to his chest and everything sounds fine (totally not a doctor of any sort though). Between having been on anesthesia, being on a medication, and being on different food, there's so many things I can think of that might be seen as the cause, and the weather just turned cold here in Texas too so I don't know if he's reacting to that either. Does sneezing warrant another trip to the vet, because I don't think I could isolate the cause on my own right now with all the stuff going on.

With mouth ulcers and sneezing, as long as the sneezes are only bringing up fine drops of clear fluid and not goo I'd suspect your cat has feline herpes and is having a flare-up. Mine have had it ever since they were kittens (it's pretty endemic in the shelters here) and whenever something happens that stresses them out they tend to get sneezy because of it. It goes away usually in a week or so, I usually give mine a lysine supplement during a flare up because although the research is iffy on efficacy at least I feel like I'm doing something. However, if you're seeing any thick mucus in the sneezes it's definitely vet time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yaaay... both smudge and Isaac are fatty fat cats... 6.6 and 6.2kg each. Already cut their food intake by 25%. How the hell do you make a cat exercise more apart from starting to buy live mice?