Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I am bad at remembering to pee at work. I just get busy and don't want to take the time, but I schedule it on my outlook calendar like an adult...right guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Poor people aren't allowed to have any kind of luxury items whatsoever or enjoy their lives at all SHARE IF YOU AGREE XD XD XD

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Any black woman in any government waiting room is definitely waiting for welfare. Even if it's the DMV.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Yea, there's definitely no such thing as people getting luxury items as gifts or buying cheap knockoffs of designer items.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
That's a common "argument" against helping beggars in Sweden nowadays. "LOOK THEY HAVE CELLPHONES. CLEARLY THEY HAVE MONEY FOR FOOD HOUSING AND THE REST OF IT".

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
That bag is full of lobster, and the hat is covering expensive weaves. Also the kid has gold grillz.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i think it's meant to be reminders for people having anxiety attack episodes

Yeah, those sort of posts are usually aimed at people with anxiety or similar problems. I can't bring myself to hate on something that's at least attempting to do good.

e:welp looks like the discussion moved on don't mind me

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

The only time people want anything good for the poor and homeless, is when they can use it as an argument why refugees shouldn't have anything good.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Karma Monkey posted:

Yea, there's definitely no such thing as people getting luxury items as gifts or buying cheap knockoffs of designer items.

Or going to a Goodwill Dump 'n' Dive and getting expensive stuff for like fifty cents a pound. I bought a perfectly new leather coat for a couple dollars, brought it home and it's like $400 online.

God people piss me off.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Not shown: Popular R&B Ringtone on expensive phone.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm not a native english speaker, but when he says "been sat at the computer", isn't that like someone put you there? Like your parents put you in the chair and ordered you to play games? In that case, I'm pretty sure it's for children.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Yeah, those sort of posts are usually aimed at people with anxiety or similar problems. I can't bring myself to hate on something that's at least attempting to do good.

e:welp looks like the discussion moved on don't mind me

People with anxiety have problems sitting up straight unless told? I don't think that post was specifically aimed at people with anxiety issues, but if it would be, that'd be even more irksome. The tumblr PSA attitude that feels the need to educate everybody on how to deal with mental health problems - patients and their surroundings alike - is more than a little insulting.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Boz0r posted:

I'm not a native english speaker, but when he says "been sat at the computer", isn't that like someone put you there? Like your parents put you in the chair and ordered you to play games? In that case, I'm pretty sure it's for children.

Yes, it is for children

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

Eh, probably; but there wasn't enough evidence to convict her so legally she didn't.

Legally, no, but the lack of a conviction doesn't change the fact that she 100% killed her child so she could go back to a life of partying, and she'd be in prison right now if the prosecution hadn't gotten greedy and just settled for a lesser charge.

goose fleet posted:

Poor people aren't allowed to have any kind of luxury items whatsoever or enjoy their lives at all SHARE IF YOU AGREE XD XD XD

She probably eats name-brand cereal bought with food stamps for breakfast, fuckin' entitled thug

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Legally, no, but the lack of a conviction doesn't change the fact that she 100% killed her child so she could go back to a life of partying, and she'd be in prison right now if the prosecution hadn't gotten greedy and just settled for a lesser charge.

Eh, the defense made a fairly compelling argument that it could have been an accident and she just went "gently caress it, party time!" It could have been murder, but I think it could have been a opportune accident.
Either way she should never be a mother again, and I am glad she is poor and will always be poor over it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That looks more like a hospital waiting room to me.

Granted it says a lot about somebody that just assumes by default a black person in a waiting room is waiting for welfare. Sorry but not every black person in America gets food stamps, bucko. There are many buildings with lobbies in places you'll have to wait like, well, dentist's offices, primary care providers, the DMV, driver's license places, office buildings. Hell the lady might have been waiting for an interview for all we know.

But nope, black person waiting! Must be welfare.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Granted it says a lot about somebody that just assumes by default a black person in a waiting room is waiting for welfare. Sorry but not every black person in America gets food stamps, bucko. There are many buildings with lobbies in places you'll have to wait like, well, dentist's offices, primary care providers, the DMV, driver's license places, office buildings. Hell the lady might have been waiting for an interview for all we know.

People are not subtle about this sort of thing. These sorts of attitudes predominately focus on the concern that black people might not only know what nice stuff is, but want it and have access to it; THE HORROR.

Such Fun posted:

People with anxiety have problems sitting up straight unless told? I don't think that post was specifically aimed at people with anxiety issues, but if it would be, that'd be even more irksome. The tumblr PSA attitude that feels the need to educate everybody on how to deal with mental health problems - patients and their surroundings alike - is more than a little insulting.

Ding ding. I don't think 99% of people on Tumblr are qualified to dispense unwarranted psychiatric advice.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

cash crab posted:

Ding ding. I don't think 99% of people on Tumblr are qualified to dispense unwarranted psychiatric advice.

I'll have you know i have a degree in Internet which gives me the right to dispense that kind of advice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Boz0r posted:

I'm not a native english speaker, but when he says "been sat at the computer", isn't that like someone put you there? Like your parents put you in the chair and ordered you to play games?

Technically it should be "been sitting at the computer" but people say "sat" like that all the time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The chairs, the glass display cases with various laws and regulations displayed...yeah that's an employment labor office or maybe a public assistance building (do we even have 'welfare' offices anymore)?

I'm just trying to figure out who took the picture. They're in the same waiting room. I certainly hope they snapped that shot using a lovely Android phone while wearing durable low-cost apparel from the Sears Outlet store and hauling their belongings in a tasteful hobo bindle.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Krispy Kareem posted:

The chairs, the glass display cases with various laws and regulations displayed...yeah that's an employment labor office or maybe a public assistance building (do we even have 'welfare' offices anymore)?

I'm just trying to figure out who took the picture. They're in the same waiting room. I certainly hope they snapped that shot using a lovely Android phone while wearing durable low-cost apparel from the Sears Outlet store and hauling their belongings in a tasteful hobo bindle.

Most government waiting areas serve a diverse set of offices around here and just because she's there doesn't mean she's not waiting for someone else to get out.

Also that's literally exactly what the waiting room for my passport office and my DMV look like, except more crowded and gross. Those labor regulations posters are everywhere.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If someone can save up enough money to buy designer items with only welfare checks, they are really good at managing their economy and deserve it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

There was a loving news article here about how since the economy has gone to poo poo, thrift stores are filling up with designer items and they're going for super cheap.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Eponine posted:

Most government waiting areas serve a diverse set of offices around here and just because she's there doesn't mean she's not waiting for someone else to get out.

Also that's literally exactly what the waiting room for my passport office and my DMV look like, except more crowded and gross. Those labor regulations posters are everywhere.

It's also possible that the woman in the picture was somebody's ride. "Hello friend of mine my car is dead and I need to get to the assistance office tomorrow or they cut off my benefits and my children don't get to eat. Help me out?"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ok I think we covered every plausible reason for that lady to be sitting there we prob don't need any more

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

There was a loving news article here about how since the economy has gone to poo poo, thrift stores are filling up with designer items and they're going for super cheap.

Only fools pay full price for things

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Such Fun posted:

Sometimes, people with certain mental illnesses and disorders (especially ones that can alter your focus like autism) do get caught in a focus loop where they have trouble remembering to pull away from what they're focusing on. In some cases, mental illness (even depression) can alter someone's perception of time so things get away from them easily.

It's a decent post with good intentions and it's not even really condescending.

It's more condescending to assume people who have trouble with some things on this list ("Oh, I forgot my meds" or "I have a bad habit of slumping over" or "Remember to stretch" or "Remember to drink more water") are unable to live by themselves or are childish as some people in this thread have suggested.

les enfants Terrific! has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Jan 21, 2016

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
Honestly this dude has always stayed pretty quiet on Facebook, usually just posting interesting or weird pictures he finds on the Internet with no comment. This week though he seems like he's lost his mind.

A few more comments from his original post, I guess his cousin or whoever he was calling out decided to show up.

And another post from earlier this week:

He was definitely a stoner in school who was a little rough around the edges but he was always so sweet to me. :smith:

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Tiggum posted:

Technically it should be "been sitting at the computer" but people say "sat" like that all the time.

Just wanted to throw my two cents in as a terrible grammar nerd and say that while the post definitely means "been sitting at", "been sat at" does have the implication that was originally identified, and I do like the image of the average tumblr nerd as a 22-year-old running around bothering people by screaming about Dr. Who until their parents pick them up, carry them down the stairs, and sit them at the computer: "talk to your Dr. Who friends now, we need some mommy and daddy time."

hypnotoad posted:

Honestly this dude has always stayed pretty quiet on Facebook, usually just posting interesting or weird pictures he finds on the Internet with no comment. This week though he seems like he's lost his mind.

A few more comments from his original post, I guess his cousin or whoever he was calling out decided to show up.

He was definitely a stoner in school who was a little rough around the edges but he was always so sweet to me. :smith:

It looks like your acquaintance probably has a paranoia-related mental illness, which would explain why he seems to just sort of have breaks where he is skeptical of how genuine everyone is and also of the New World Order or whatever. If you know somebody who knows him better and might be able to get him help you could ask them to try to find a psychologist or social worker/therapist if he doesn't have one (it seems like a lot of his friends are used to this behavior so it also wouldn't surprise me if he was already diagnosed). I have a couple friends with paranoia variants of BPD and it is particularly challenging. I hope he can get some help though.

TheRecogScene has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Jan 21, 2016

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

That's a common "argument" against helping beggars in Sweden nowadays. "LOOK THEY HAVE CELLPHONES. CLEARLY THEY HAVE MONEY FOR FOOD HOUSING AND THE REST OF IT".

This is hilarious because a) Cells are practically a necessity nowadays since they've all but replaced landlines, and b) You can buy like a 4-pack of phones for like 20 bucks at RadioShack or wherever.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

hypnotoad posted:

He might want to get checked out for schizophrenia. Not joking.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

Just wanted to throw my two cents in as a terrible grammar nerd and say that while the post definitely means "been sitting at", "been sat at" does have the implication that was originally identified, and I do like the image of the average tumblr nerd as a 22-year-old running around bothering people by screaming about Dr. Who until their parents pick them up, carry them down the stairs, and sit them at the computer: "talk to your Dr. Who friends now, we need some mommy and daddy time."

It looks like your acquaintance probably has a paranoia-related mental illness, which would explain why he seems to just sort of have breaks where he is skeptical of how genuine everyone is and also of the New World Order or whatever. If you know somebody who knows him better and might be able to get him help you could ask them to try to find a psychologist or social worker/therapist if he doesn't have one (it seems like a lot of his friends are used to this behavior so it also wouldn't surprise me if he was already diagnosed). I have a couple friends with paranoia variants of BPD and it is particularly challenging. I hope he can get some help though.

I assume you mean Bipolar disorder (BD) and not Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) as there is no paranoia variant of BPD. The relationship insecurity/lability in BPD is different from paranoia associated with psychosis and delusional disorder.

Sorry to correct but BPD gets tossed around these forums incorrectly all the time, and as a clinical researcher I find it pretty irksome.

That being said, please do contact somebody who might be in a better position to help your friend get whatever assistance he may need.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

cash crab posted:

It's like the whole trigger warning safe space thing that tumblr is obsessed with (sending death threats to someone who didn't put trigger warning:bees on a joke about bees), and how real psychologists come along and say things like "hey, trigger warnings are bad, and don't actually help people with PTSD, stop it."

But hey, it's not the internet unless people give out poor advice.

Kay Kessler posted:

This is hilarious because a) Cells are practically a necessity nowadays since they've all but replaced landlines, and b) You can buy like a 4-pack of phones for like 20 bucks at RadioShack or wherever.

Generally the fees on a land line are more expensive than a pay as you go cell phone.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

Goosed it. posted:

I assume you mean Bipolar disorder (BD) and not Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) as there is no paranoia variant of BPD. The relationship insecurity/lability in BPD is different from paranoia associated with psychosis and delusional disorder.

Sorry to correct but BPD gets tossed around these forums incorrectly all the time, and as a clinical researcher I find it pretty irksome.

That being said, please do contact somebody who might be in a better position to help your friend get whatever assistance he may need.

I actually did mean borderline personality disorder, but you're right that relationship instability/insecurity isn't quite the same as paranoia found in schizophrenia, for example. I was generalizing because I'm not an actual psychologist (yet - I'm in grad school) and didn't want to diagnose anyone, and figured that the layman nature of the forum was maybe better suited to that kind of generalization. The way he treats people in the first set of posts looks like BPD instability (which I've seen loads of) but the second is more like what I assume paranoid schizophrenia is (I have no personal or professional experience with it).

I can definitely appreciate your desire to step in to correct ignorance though! Distinctions are important and we have them for a reason. :science:

Would you be able to upload the original image at full resolution for us? I tried to google for it but couldn't find it (I just now realized I could crop and reverse-image search it I guess but I'm on my phone and don't know how well that would work). I think it's hilarious and could get a lot of mileage out of it.

TheRecogScene has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Jan 21, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Generally the fees on a land line are more expensive than a pay as you go cell phone.

There's a pretty good scam that's been going on in the UK for years. Like you guys we have toll free numbers, but we also have non-geographical location numbers which were designed back in the 80s or 90s (maybe even earlier) so you could call from anywhere in the country and itd be considered a local call rather than a long distance if you were to call the real unpublished number. So far so good.

Cell phone carriers decided that they weren't going to include these or toll free numbers as part of the minute bundles you get, so if you ever try call a company you either have to try find the unpublished number, or pay through the rear end at something like 70c a minute to call them to wait on hold for 30 minutes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Facecbook is apparently pretty good at helping identify mental issues; a friend of mine's brother was discovered to have a paranoiac disorder despite being fairly subdued in personal interactions, because he kept posting very casually-worded screeds touching on Secret Service visits, being monitored from a car by Obama himself, and in particular blaming my friend for "causing" all of it by passing along secret information about who was a lizard person and who wasn't. It was pretty easy to put together by then.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Facecbook is apparently pretty good at helping identify mental issues; a friend of mine's brother was discovered to have a paranoiac disorder despite being fairly subdued in personal interactions, because he kept posting very casually-worded screeds touching on Secret Service visits, being monitored from a car by Obama himself, and in particular blaming my friend for "causing" all of it by passing along secret information about who was a lizard person and who wasn't. It was pretty easy to put together by then.

I personally think there should be a huge push into a field of cyberpsychology, examining the way we perceive ourselves and others on the Internet. This effectively means somebody someday could get their PhD in trolling, or somebody could actually research what the hell memes are and how they work in our cultural consciousness (instead of the pseudo-"scientist" gimmick over at Know Your Meme). A number of the humanities will benefit from looking at the way we think, communicate, and portray ourselves online. Maybe somebody will comb this thread or a later version of it for images in a textbook someday - if you want to study the worst, we're one of the best.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

It's like the whole trigger warning safe space thing that tumblr is obsessed with (sending death threats to someone who didn't put trigger warning:bees on a joke about bees), and how real psychologists come along and say things like "hey, trigger warnings are bad, and don't actually help people with PTSD, stop it."

When I completed my rotation in psychiatry,, a therapist was telling his patients essentially "triggers are yours to identify and manage. No one else's. You can share them with people who are close to you, who you really trust. And you can ask someone you love and care about to avoid behaviors that trigger you, but it's up to them whether they will. You ultimately have no control over their behavior. And if a complete stranger tells you their triggers, that's probably a person with really poor boundaries that you should avoid."

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Brawnfire posted:

This was the one thing I wanted to really point out to this douchebag, but I didn't want to get into it. Nobody has a problem with Irish pride, German pride, etc. White people are lucky enough to, for the most part, know their national origins and have family history and sometimes physical artifacts to tie them to those cultures. This is also--again, for the most part--true of "Mexican" pride, and the "Asian" pride is an artifact that can be broken down to specific Asian nations of origin. Muslim pride is religious pride, which Christians demonstrate in spades without retribution.

That leaves the real sticking point--black pride. Black in America is an identity bereft of specific origins. It is a house built on a foundation of torn roots. They have no choice but to bind together by skin color, because they've already been pushed together by white people.

White people grouping themselves by skin color aren't pushed into it, they're banding together in opposition to colored people. It's so obvious I don't know how anyone can deny it.

But here's this fucker on my friends list....

Quoting this cause I'm sure I'll need it next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I personally think there should be a huge push into a field of cyberpsychology, examining the way we perceive ourselves and others on the Internet. This effectively means somebody someday could get their PhD in trolling, or somebody could actually research what the hell memes are and how they work in our cultural consciousness (instead of the pseudo-"scientist" gimmick over at Know Your Meme). A number of the humanities will benefit from looking at the way we think, communicate, and portray ourselves online. Maybe somebody will comb this thread or a later version of it for images in a textbook someday - if you want to study the worst, we're one of the best.

It's a baby field but it's coming. Companies are very interested in stuff like automatic sentiment analysis of online comments about their products. The world of science moves slowly but there is more and more research in fields like Psychology and Linguistics that focuses on these kinds of issues. A classmate of mine is doing an internship on automatic detection of cyberbullying which involves building an Irony Detector (which I think is really rad).

There absolutely are already people with a PhD in trolling! It's an important topic, since the line between 'just trolling trololol' and aggressive cyberstalking and harassment is very fine. Taking forensic linguistics as an example , how do you distinguish groomers and rapists from all the 'normal' trolls who just happen to like threatening rape and talking about diddling kiddies recreationally? How can you tell just by text whether someone in a children's chatroom is an actual child or a grown man pretending to be a child?