Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Gymnastics question: I want give out aggressive basic rear end social advice will patting myself on the back for making a girl cry. I'm afraid I might pull a muscle trying to do both at once. PLEASE HELP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Spanish Matlock posted:

I think he likes it better that way :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMGVMtnxXEw

GoutPatrol posted:

Pandemonium is the anti-Haier

haier with rene chang characteristics

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

quadrophrenic posted:

btw, just to serious post for a second because I'm really starting to think you don't understand basic people skills:

we both acknowledge that most of the time dating your coworker is a messy affair, and wish Moon Slayer the best in his endeavors because we're his friend. We're all friends here. We talk to each other on LINE, we hang out in real life, we're generally quite affable to each other. Being a weird dick to someone out of nowhere is not something you do to your friends. A friend is a person you generally enjoy being around and talking to for recreation. So it's not so much your message, but your tone that we find so jarring and unintentionally hilarious.

do you have friends? are you a dick to them for no apparent reason? please answer in chinese.

Right, so something is bad if other people do it, but if my friend does it, it's totally cool. See, I think that is dumb.

Here, have another example, one that I have stopped being friends with someone here over: "Drunk driving is bad and dangerous. 99 times out of 100 you will be okay, but that 1 time you will end up killing someone. But you are my friend, so it is okay if you do it". Different situation. Same. Exact. Logic.

Also, you guys aren't my friends IRL, so why should I extend the same courtesy to him that you extend to him? See, there isn't even the social element compelling me to look past a goon potentially being a weirdo goon. And by your own admission I am not beholden to do so. You are by virtue of your being his friend. What you have described is 100%, no-doubt-about-it, perfecto examplar of circling the wagons.

It's nice to see you care so much about me that you go trudging through my post history or the earlier pages of this thread on your lunch break (I'm assuming). Three examples, too. :cool:

this is a stickup posted:

If you could write a 1500 character essay (in Chinese) on the prevalence of 娃娃音 in modern Taiwanese society, it would surely help the thread understand your feelings. Bonus points if at least one section is written in Hakka.

:lol: You think Hakka is a written language :lol:. How do you have any opinions about this country when you are totally wrong on something as basic as this.

TetsuoTW posted:

Serious question, Pandemonium, how long have you lived in Taiwan?

More than seven years. Not a single year was spent living in Taipei, something you goons would do well to consider when you go off about how Taiwanese act/don't act. Most if not all of you live in Taipei, which non-Taipei people derisively refer to as 天龍國, something I'm sure you are aware, but the other posters here, the ESL crew, are most probably not (sorry if you are). Taking your cue for how the general population generally acts, thinks, behaves, or anything at all based on how 天龍人 act, think, or behave is ridiculous and absurd. You should fill in your Taipei buds on this.

Anyway, it's nice to know that you all know each other IRL, and this thread is just a giant circle-jerk. :circlefap:

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Pandemonium posted:

Right, so something is bad if other people do it, but if my friend does it, it's totally cool. See, I think that is dumb.

Here, have another example, one that I have stopped being friends with someone here over: "Drunk driving is bad and dangerous. 99 times out of 100 you will be okay, but that 1 time you will end up killing someone. But you are my friend, so it is okay if you do it". Different situation. Same. Exact. Logic.

Also, you guys aren't my friends IRL, so why should I extend the same courtesy to him that you extend to him? See, there isn't even the social element compelling me to look past a goon potentially being a weirdo goon. And by your own admission I am not beholden to do so. You are by virtue of your being his friend. What you have described is 100%, no-doubt-about-it, perfecto examplar of circling the wagons.

...so no?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I get what you're saying and that a bad decision is a bad decision regardless of who makes it, but there has to be flexibility or else you can't have friends. Smoking is a terrible idea, but I don't end friendships over it and I hope smoking doesn't result in cancer for my friends who smoke. Dating coworkers is a bad idea, but I don't wish them ill fortune if they go down that route. I can be honest with them, advise against it, and still not wish them harm. I can't even begin to think what kind of stark morality you must try and adhere to that equates dumb professional decisions with risking your life and the lives of others.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

Who said she was playing? I don't remember the last time I saw a mixed game of douniu. The courts I play at have one or two baskets reserved for girls. Please don't jump to conclusions.

Sorry, I should have thrown a sarcastic emote in there to show that I was joking.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

I get what you're saying and that a bad decision is a bad decision regardless of who makes it, but there has to be flexibility or else you can't have friends. Smoking is a terrible idea, but I don't end friendships over it and I hope smoking doesn't result in cancer for my friends who smoke. Dating coworkers is a bad idea, but I don't wish them ill fortune if they go down that route. I can be honest with them, advise against it, and still not wish them harm. I can't even begin to think what kind of stark morality you must try and adhere to that equates dumb professional decisions with risking your life and the lives of others.

NO

the world is digital; you're either FOR it or AGAINST it

NO INBETWEEN

EVER

EVER

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I literally cannot understand how you can have been here for seven years and still hold the same opinions about Taiwanese people that someone who's been here seven months holds. Especially given the events of the past few years.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Can the ESL Crew get their own gang tags?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Can the ESL Crew get their own gang tags?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

Anyway, it's nice to know that you all know each other IRL, and this thread is just a giant circle-jerk. :circlefap:

Yeah guys stop talking about Taiwan related topics like how much of a tool that one guy who posts here is. If I was you I'd post more about deep anthropological mysteries like why you have to marry a girl if you kiss her.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Last I checked we had a professional translator, a freelance web developer and video editor, corporate middle management, some kind of office grunt, various copy editors, graduate students, and a couple of people who taught English (or other subjects) to round out the numbers or keep income steady during lean months. And not all the people in the ESL industry are just teachers. One goon writes, directs, and stars in short films he makes with students from a school as a form of viral web advertising.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Of course I wouldn't end a friendship because a guy I know wanted to crush his coworker's puss, but I sure as hell wouldn't support that decision, either, and would likely call him out on it. My point was to show that the exact same logic can be used in an extreme example to support a friend who drinks and drives, but the outcomes of the two scenarios of course are not the same. That is, I did end the friendship with drunk driver, but I wouldn't end a friendship because a friend wanted to enjoy coworker dating. I would likely not want to make friends with a guy that I knew dated his coworkers, though, but that's just based on personal experience. So no, my point wasn't "coworker dating and drunk driving are both bad and furthermore are both things I would end friendships over".

I have friends who smoke, too, and as long as they don't exhale in my face or smoke right next to me in a confined space, it's all good (except when drinking; then i don't give a gently caress) and I've never once given them poo poo.

TetsuoTW posted:

I literally cannot understand how you can have been here for seven years and still hold the same opinions about Taiwanese people that someone who's been here seven months holds. Especially given the events of the past few years.

What events? The one-off Sunflower Movement? The burgeoning Taiwanese identity that is little more than "not-Chinese"? Apropos of that, the best thing I have seen recently is the insane popularity of a new tea shop in Taichung that is Japanese and makes bubble tea. Bubble tea, something Taiwanese can proudly claim is their own creation, and the second a Japanese company comes to town making the same poo poo, Taiwanese flock there. I've been by a number of times in the past month, and the line is always always fifty +-deep. This might just be an 一窩蜂 thing that Taiwanese do with every trend, but I still think that line is literal evidence that you can see how little regard Taiwanese have for Taiwanese stuff (or more correctly probably evidence that they regard foreign (Japanese and Korean mostly) stuff and cultures as superior or better or whatever). I had some of the tea. It's just regular bubble tea. But because it is Japanese, it has value, it has kitsch, beyond what Taiwanese bubble tea has despite the fact that bubble tea is Taiwanese--and is one of the few things you can say is wholly Taiwanese. There is something to be read into that, and my Taiwanese friends and I all pretty much agree. Japanese and Korean stuff intrinsically have more value to Taiwanese, even when it is stuff that originates in Taiwan! There is some serious angst here about culture and identity, and I have seen nothing more powerful and more substantial than "not Chinese". "Not Chinese" is the unifying call for Taiwanese to construct their identities in the present, and it is a wholly negative thing, and it is a wholly pathetic thing.

That was a bit ranty, but anyway, yeah, what events specifically? And just saying "the opinions" is not even clear. What opinions are you referring to? The fact I think that 娃娃音 and 撒嬌 are big things here, and things guys here like, and are indicative of a culture that in some ways promotes and nurtures immaturity. (Taiwan is of course not alone in this--Chinese girls love to do this poo poo, too). Because that's 100% true generally speaking. My God, going beyond those two examples, just look at how the old guy-hosts on TV here dress. They wear poo poo that most sixteen year olds would find tacky and ridiculous in America. And their hair styles... ! Mr. Mushroom Cut, anyone (豬哥亮)? There isn't a more childish haircut than that. But yeah, because you love writing one line posts I have no idea what opinions you are referring to, so I just guessed and went on a little rant after getting home from recording a book all afternoon. So, please to enjoy! And feel free to actually make a low-effort post instead of a no-effort post. I think Atlas Hugged is the only person so far that has written more than two lines of flippant, pointless drivel. Cheers!

On another note, maybe I should join your line chat and show you guys screenshots of my line conversations with my 3-date girl (and other girls) to put to bed your misconceptions . But then there'll no longer be the allure of anonymity. But maybe you'd all shut up about how socially awkward I must be in real life because I write "aggressive" posts to strangers on the internet and how people act in real life and the things they post online are totally the same, etc., etc.. Food for thought...

Also, look for my new book coming out in April!

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Last I checked we had a professional translator, a freelance web developer and video editor, corporate middle management, some kind of office grunt, various copy editors, graduate students, and a couple of people who taught English (or other subjects) to round out the numbers or keep income steady during lean months. And not all the people in the ESL industry are just teachers. One goon writes, directs, and stars in short films he makes with students from a school as a form of viral web advertising.

So you're telling me the minority of posters here are ESL teachers? I'm not buying it...

Edit: And the corollary to that is of course, "how many live outside Taipei/Xinbei", because it's probably not a lot, eh?

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 21, 2016

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

At first I thought Pandemonium was just a jerk, but I'm honestly starting to suspect he's somewhere on the autism spectrum. The weird obsessing over one minor thing someone said, the inability to not just realize something is a joke but disbelief that people would actually make jokes about a topic suggest autism, in my opinion. The "I'm special and better than all of you because I'm smarter/have a higher skill level in one thing/work in a different field than you" suggests Aspergers.

I started to suspect that when he was flipping out about how Simplified Chinese is the death of the language (I think that was in the previous thread), but this latest stuff is really driving it home.

On the other hand, just because someone is differently abled doesn't mean we shouldn't call them out when they're being too aggressive and a dick.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

At first I thought Pandemonium was just a jerk, but I'm honestly starting to suspect he's somewhere on the autism spectrum. The weird obsessing over one minor thing someone said, the inability to not just realize something is a joke but disbelief that people would actually make jokes about a topic suggest autism, in my opinion. The "I'm special and better than all of you because I'm smarter/have a higher skill level in one thing/work in a different field than you" suggests Aspergers.

I started to suspect that when he was flipping out about how Simplified Chinese is the death of the language (I think that was in the previous thread), but this latest stuff is really driving it home.

On the other hand, just because someone is differently abled doesn't mean we shouldn't call them out when they're being too aggressive and a dick.

Again, try not to make the mistake of conflating how a person posts with how a person is. That's kinda silly, y'know? And I tried to let the coworker dating stuff die, but your bros in the thread wouldn't let it. They had to sally forth and ride to your rescue even though you have said many times you were "tots joking, brah".

Edit: Ah, forgot about the simplified thing. I love to rile up people who have invested so much time and energy to learning a system of writing that even educated Chinese on the mainland think is ridiculous. It's like if the American government went from the English we have now to a short-hand version and made everyone everywhere use said version. It made sense in the context in which it was created, but now it is ugly and stupid and everyone uses computers so who needs it (we do still need it in the exact same way we need English short-hand... to handwrite things quicker--that's it.) Love ruffling them simplified feathers. If you think that makes me "autistic", you are really, really reaching--and also robbing that word of any real meaning, rendering it as meaningless and useless as racist or misogynist or any other buzz word internet idiots use to try to shut down people who disagree with them without actually addressing any points at all. Please don't do that.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 21, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

TBF Simplified Chinese is gross.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

crush his coworker's puss,

loving gross tbh

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

loving gross tbh

South Park reference, bro. The new season was some of the funniest satire made in a long, long time. My favorite episodes might have been the yaoi one and the ninja or terrorist one. loving gold. (And South Park has been poo poo for years.)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

So you're telling me the minority of posters here are ESL teachers? I'm not buying it...

I don't have a census on everyone in the thread, I'm just going from what I know about these guys. We've had at least two work for news papers, two work in the tech manual field, there's a bunch of diplomatic videos up on YouTube that a goon was paid to make, people have been coming to study and getting their masters. Some of the people who have posted in this thread aren't even white! I'd say you could safely bet that the majority are or have taught English. But you make a lot of assumptions about people here and what their lives are like and where and how their opinions must have formed, but I'd say that's mostly your own personal bias and not really reflective of the group at all.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

"The one-off Sunflower Movement" holy lol you're an ignorant dude.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pandemonium posted:

South Park reference, bro.

Ah, well done. I don't usually advocate using pop culture references in place of a personality but in your case I suppose it couldn't get worse, right?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Pandemonium posted:

It's nice to see you care so much about me that you go trudging through my post history or the earlier pages of this thread on your lunch break (I'm assuming). Three examples, too. :cool:

:lol: You think Hakka is a written language :lol:. How do you have any opinions about this country when you are totally wrong on something as basic as this.

It took all of two minutes to click the ? under your name and paste from the first few posts. Not exactly trudging.

There are translations of the bible/proverbs etc in hakka, IMEs for hakka (both of which I have posted in this thread, recently), and any Hakka professor worth their weight in salt can probably tell you more about them, if you're interested. I studied 四縣 for a year, and while Hakka isn't a "written" language because no one writes it, it is POSSIBLE to write in Hakka. People in ~Hakka circles~ would be happy to tell you about many characters used in Mandarin that aren't the "correct" version.

e; wow

Pandemonium posted:

On another note, maybe I should join your line chat and show you guys screenshots of my line conversations with my 3-date girl (and other girls) to put to bed your misconceptions . But then there'll no longer be the allure of anonymity. But maybe you'd all shut up about how socially awkward I must be in real life because I write "aggressive" posts to strangers on the internet and how people act in real life and the things they post online are totally the same, etc., etc.. Food for thought...

Also, look for my new book coming out in April!

sentimental snail fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 21, 2016

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't have a census on everyone in the thread, I'm just going from what I know about these guys. We've had at least two work for news papers, two work in the tech manual field, there's a bunch of diplomatic videos up on YouTube that a goon was paid to make, people have been coming to study and getting their masters. Some of the people who have posted in this thread aren't even white! I'd say you could safely bet that the majority are or have taught English. But you make a lot of assumptions about people here and what their lives are like and where and how their opinions must have formed, but I'd say that's mostly your own personal bias and not really reflective of the group at all.

Nah, that's mostly because posters here admit that most of you are friends IRL and so that makes it necessary to support Moon Slayer's (fake) bad decision. That's what I'm going off mostly. And I do remember he was an editor at a newspaper here but is teaching again or something, so when you say there are editors in this thread I assume you mean former editors (other than myself, of course).

Spanish Matlock posted:

Ah, well done. I don't usually advocate using pop culture references in place of a personality but in your case I suppose it couldn't get worse, right?

I think it's a good turn-of-phrase that I now use every now and again. That has no bearing on my overall personality, outside of you trying to pretend that it does. Cool, bro! :highfive:

I honestly don't know how you go "he used a phrase couple times that he got from pop culture" to "ergo, his whole personality is rendered null and void and everything he says is ripped straight from pop culture (despite only having this one example that he admitted to go off of)". I think you're reaching, that's all, bro.

TetsuoTW posted:

"The one-off Sunflower Movement" holy lol you're an ignorant dude.

Please, tell me what they have done since then? I stopped caring right away when they posted a photo of a guy in "scrubs/a lab coat" that was bleeding saying he was a doctor beaten by police (he wasn't and they didn't), and then they posted a picture of a police officer stepping over someone and tried to claim that he was stepping on them. You know, the usual bullshit idiots use to rally people to their cause. Oh, and I know one of them is a giant pervert and the "leader" guy in the movement, which claims(ed) to be nonpartisan was basically outed as a young DPP'er, making their claim of nonpartisanship not only untrue but also deliberately misleading. The motivation is kind of important, because it went from "we, the youth, are doing this because we don't agree with the entire government apparatus" to "gently caress the KMT; DPP 4 life". And what are they now, a FB group? I haven't heard anything aside from they got denied entry to Hong Kong, and they took a pic in DC or something.

Again, loving the no-effort posts. Would love a low-effort post even more.

And yeah, about Hakka: I know it's just like Taiwanese and people have made approximations of the language in the Roman alphabet or in Chinese, but none of those systems are in wide use like pinyin and zhuyin, and to my knowledge actual speakers of the languages (ie, old folk) do not refer to them at all (excluding the rarefied air of academic circles). Like, go to Zhubei and ask the native Hakka speakers there to "write Hakka", and they'll probably write what are effectively Chinese subtitles but not the actual language because, you know, it is a spoken language, not a written one.

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 21, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Please, tell me what they have done since then? I stopped caring right away when they posted a photo of a guy in a "scrubs/lab coat" that was bleeding saying he was a doctor beaten by police (he wasn't and they didn't), and then they posted a picture of a police officer stepping over someone and tried to claim that he was stepping on them. You know, the usual bullshit idiots use to hoodwink the general population. Oh, and I know one of them is a giant pervert and the "leader" guy in the movement, which claims(ed) to be nonpartisan was basically outed as a young DPP'er, making their claim of nonpartisanship not only untrue but also deliberately misleading. What are they now, a FB group?

Again, loving the no-effort posts. Would love a low-effort post even more.

And yeah, about Hakka: I know it's just like Taiwanese and people have made approximations of the language in the Roman alphabet or in Chinese, but none of those systems are in wide use like pinyin and zhuyin, and actual speakers of the languages do not refer to them at all (excluding the rarefied air of academic circles). Like, go to Zhubei and ask the native Hakka speakers to "write Hakka", and they'll probably write what are effectively Chinese subtitles but not the actual language because, you know, it is a spoken language, not a written one.
You have literally the most superficial understanding of Taiwanese cultures, identities, politics, languages, and probably more things I'm missing.

You're also the most gullible dude I've ever come across.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

You have literally the most superficial understanding of Taiwanese cultures, identities, politics, languages, and probably more things I'm missing.

You're also the most gullible dude I've ever come across.

Dude, can you stop with the no-effort posts, already? If you keep posturing like this, I'm going to assume you are a small wind bag who disagrees with what I post on principle alone and in sweeping and ultimately lackluster, empty poo poo-post gestures. Like, the novelty of your poo poo posting is gone.

Edit: I'll give you politics because :lol: if anyone cares about politics in the first place, let alone the politics of a country in whose political process they can't participate in.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Pandemonium posted:

On another note, maybe I should join your line chat and show you guys screenshots of my line conversations with my 3-date girl (and other girls) to put to bed your misconceptions

use imgur. you'd only flounce from the LINE group anyways.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Dude, can you stop with the no-effort posts, already? If you keep posturing like this, I'm going to assume you are a small wind bag who disagrees with what I post on principle alone and in sweeping and ultimately lackluster, empty poo poo-post gestures. Like, the novelty of your poo poo posting is gone.
Not for me it hasn't. You're right, though, I do disagree with what you post on principle, and that principle is the principle that it's good to know what you're talking about.

quote:

Edit: I'll give you politics because :lol: if anyone cares about politics in the first place, let alone the politics of a country in whose political process they can't participate in.
I can't tell if you're a useful idiot or just an idiot.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
My fav part is how pandemonium started all this

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Pandemonium posted:

A long time ago, weren't you arguing how we all needed to stand up and fight for something when that foreigner guy in the news was giving all of us other foreigners a bad wrap in the dating world here? Like most people said "who cares" and you said something to the effect that you're young and passionate and not afraid to try and change the world?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

• Pandemonium's Posting: [ ] Giving [x] Receiving [x] Everything about it

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

To be fair this is the most active and interesting the thread has been since the last time he was posting in here.

Shine on, you crazy diamond. And please get some help.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Not for me it hasn't. You're right, though, I do disagree with what you post on principle, and that principle is the principle that it's good to know what you're talking about.

What? Where have I not been clear what I'm talking about? Like, posting a sentence like that just makes me think you lack the basic ability to comprehend English. Like, what I once thought was obtuse and pretentious (somehow at the same time) poo poo posting is actually you being unable to read. I gave you clear examples of the Sunflower Movement's follies and foibles, clear examples of the cult of the immature in Taiwan (forgive the hyperbole), clear examples of Taiwanese's lack of a cultural identity other than "not-Chinese", and the big one that people won't let go is clear examples of why I think it's stupid for a) you to embrace your friend's bad decision while acknowledging it as a bad decision because he is your friend and that makes it okay or whatever and b) expecting me to extend that same embrace when I am not his friend is absolutely absurd, etc. There is some rambling, sure. But there is content. Unlike your content-less tripe.

You have refused to respond to anything other than to say "bro, you're understanding is so superficial, lol", or else to make these overly vague, meaningless pronouncements like the above. And I remember your posts enough to know that is your MO, more or less. The appeal wore thin a long time ago--or, to be fair, there never really was any. You can only make so many vague shitposts before you actually have to post something with content? I mean, you don't. But the more the shitposts stack up, the less effective your snide little remarks become. I mean, I couldn't care less if you think I have a superficial understanding of Taiwan, but you saying that statement with no support anywhere ever should be a big clue to other readers that you are doing nothing more than content-lessly posturing because you have determined me to be a bad poster or whatever. In sum, stop poo poo-posting. You're not anywhere near as clever or interesting as you think you are.

quadrophrenic posted:

Refresh my memory: By telling Moon Slayer it was a stupid idea for him to ask his coworker out? Which most posters have agreed is a bad idea after poo poo posting for a few pages, but it's okay for him to do it because he's their friend IRL. And I should extend him the same courtesy of acceptance even though I don't fill that hugely important criterion--that is, I ain't his friend. Oh, and also he was only joking because even he knows it's a dumb thing to do. Or something. Basically, you all circled the wagons in this incestuous little thread :).

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Pandemonium posted:

Refresh my memory: By telling Moon Slayer it was a stupid idea for him to ask his coworker out? Which most posters have agreed is a bad idea after poo poo posting for a few pages, but it's okay for him to do it because he's their friend IRL. And I should extend him the same courtesy of acceptance even though I don't fill that hugely important criterion--that is, I ain't his friend. Oh, and also he was only joking because even he knows it's a dumb thing to do. Or something. Basically, you all circled the wagons in this incestuous little thread :).

yeah dude, by being a completely unwarranted jackass

how do you not understand this? you're not some loving witty edgelord who keeps it real, you're just a weird bitter dude who everybody thinks is a giant loving bummer

like if you're gonna be an rear end in a top hat you could at least be funny about it, but instead all you post in this thread are weirdly specific personal attacks, awkwardly shoehorned Chinese, dumb theories about social interactions, and the :lol: emote, and it's not at all enjoyable by anyone

go away, basically

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

What? Where have I not been clear what I'm talking about? Like, posting a sentence like that just makes me think you lack the basic ability to comprehend English. Like, what I once thought was obtuse and pretentious (somehow at the same time) poo poo posting is actually you being unable to read. I gave you clear examples of the Sunflower Movement's follies and foibles, clear examples of the cult of the immature in Taiwan (forgive the hyperbole), clear examples of Taiwanese's lack of a cultural identity other than "not-Chinese", and the big one that people won't let go is clear examples of why I think it's stupid for a) you to embrace your friend's bad decision while acknowledging it as a bad decision because he is your friend and that makes it okay or whatever and b) expecting me to extend that same embrace when I am not his friend is absolutely absurd, etc. There is some rambling, sure. But there is content. Unlike your content-less tripe.

You have refused to respond to anything other than to say "bro, you're understanding is so superficial, lol", or else to make these overly vague, meaningless pronouncements like the above. And I remember your posts enough to know that is your MO, more or less. The appeal wore thin a long time ago--or, to be fair, there never really was any. You can only make so many vague shitposts before you actually have to post something with content? I mean, you don't. But the more the shitposts stack up, the less effective your snide little remarks become. I mean, I couldn't care less if you think I have a superficial understanding of Taiwan, but you saying that statement with no support anywhere ever should be a big clue to other readers that you are doing nothing more than content-lessly posturing because you have determined me to be a bad poster or whatever. In sum, stop poo poo-posting. You're not anywhere near as clever or interesting as you think you are.
Literally all of your much-vaunted observations about Taiwanese culture are ones that every single other Western expat has made before. Most take less time to make them though.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
except don't, because you're a good poster and a handsome dude

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

And now I will post some Taiwanese factoids that I think are cool, and Tetsuo will come by in a few minutes and post something to the effect of "lol, none of that is true, lol", and expect everybody to believe him because...well, because he's Tetsuo? (I really don't know. But that won't stop him from posting!)

Bicycle in Taiwanese is three different words: one in the south, one in the middle, and one in the north. The word used in the middle is the best by far: "iron horse", or 鐵馬 ("t-bay" or something close to that is how it sounds in Taiwanese).

The three 香s in the following sentence are all pronounced differently in Taiwanese: 香港的香很香.

The word for handsome in Taiwanese isn't really handsome but more like "he's 'right' and good for me or something". Sounds like 恩倒 (endao).

The KMT ghetto-ized themselves when they came to Taiwan. They built communities for themselves and excluded the locals. I had wrongly assumed they were nicer communities than what the locals had, but no, they built tiny shithole houses because they were planning to simply regroup here and head on back to China.

Back in the day, the local Han and the KMT Han school boys segregated themselves based on sports. The locals all played baseball, and the KMT'ers all played basketball.

Hope you guys learned something! And I can't wait for another magical Tetsuo shitpost!

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
what are you even doing right now

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is this a preview of a page-a-day calendar? Which month will be devoted to relationship theories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Guess he can't date anymore since any relationship would have an expiry date so he has to sit in his apartment and post like the ESL Crew does. Too bad, because there are literally women crying for him and confessing their love for him at this very moment.