Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SpaceCadetBob posted:

If I wanted to setup a User for my brother to access my movie library from over the internet which user type would be most appropriate; Friend, Managed User, or Home User? I have a hard time understanding the difference from the walkthrough.

I didn't even know there were different types. Everyone that shares my library is a Friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Athenry posted:

On a similar note, is there a way to make Plex re-examine a single movie? It keeps thinking that the original 1990 ninja turtles movie is the remake.

This isn't a fix for the quoted problem, but I've had this happen a lot with TV Shows. One good example is it keeps thinking CW's The Flash was the CBS show in the 90s.

The way I've seem to have fixed it is to change my naming conventions. I used to use:
Show name/season ##/S##E## Title.file

I've since changed from season based folders in each show to folders that just use the original air year. Plex seems to see an episode of Flash or Doctor Who in a folder called 2015 and know it should assign it to the reboots and not their original shows.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SpaceCadetBob posted:

If I wanted to setup a User for my brother to access my movie library from over the internet which user type would be most appropriate; Friend, Managed User, or Home User? I have a hard time understanding the difference from the walkthrough.

Home/Managed Users are part of "Plex Home" which is for multiple users on a local setup and is also a Plex Pass (paid sub) only feature. If your brother is going to be accessing your server remotely, e.g., from his place outside of your home network where your server is, have him create a free Plex account on http://plex.tv then add him to your server via his username/email as a friend. More on how to invite a "friend" to your server here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204226753-Friends

[edit] Just a heads up: if your brother is going to be accessing your Plex server remotely on his iPhone, iPad, or Android device, he's going to have pay a one-time $5 activation fee to unlock the Plex app. If your brother has an Xbox One/360, Roku, or Apple TV though, the Plex app is available on those platforms for free. If he's just going to be accessing it via a PC, Plex Home Theater is a free download or he can just browse your server via the web app (which you can access from plex.tv by hitting the "LAUNCH" button after logging in).

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 17, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

teagone posted:

If he's just going to be accessing it via a PC, Plex Home Theater is a free download or he can just browse your server via the web app (which you can access from plex.tv by hitting the "LAUNCH" button after logging in).

I actually am super fond of using the Chrome "app" for Plex on my PC. Someone recommended it in this thread and I think it works better than the actual Plex Home Theater program even if it's just a skinned version of the web page.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Medullah posted:

I actually am super fond of using the Chrome "app" for Plex on my PC. Someone recommended it in this thread and I think it works better than the actual Plex Home Theater program even if it's just a skinned version of the web page.

Yeah, the HTML5 Chrome app is nice, but for some weird reason it isn't compatible with Chromecasts. On a PC/Mac/Chromebook you have to access plex.tv from the browser if you want to send something to the Chromecast, but the HTML5 app works fine if you want to cast/control something on an device running Plex Home Theater or Plex Media Player.

I use the HTML5 app on my Chromebook almost everyday though. For those unaware: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/plex/fpniocchabmgenibceglhnfeimmdhdfm?hl=en

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

teagone posted:

Yeah, the HTML5 Chrome app is nice, but for some weird reason it isn't compatible with Chromecasts. On a PC/Mac/Chromebook you have to access plex.tv from the browser if you want to send something to the Chromecast, but the HTML5 app works fine if you want to cast/control something on an device running Plex Home Theater or Plex Media Player.

I use the HTML5 app on my Chromebook almost everyday though. For those unaware: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/plex/fpniocchabmgenibceglhnfeimmdhdfm?hl=en

I just use my phone for chromecast. :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Medullah posted:

I just use my phone for chromecast. :)

But sometimes when I'm on the couch with my Chromebook, my phone is charging on my desk and I'm too lazy to get it. Having to open plex.tv in the browser just to cast something is such a chore.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

teagone posted:

But sometimes when I'm on the couch with my Chromebook, my phone is charging on my desk and I'm too lazy to get it. Having to open plex.tv in the browser just to cast something is such a chore.

Look at this Luddite who doesn't have multiple phones and tablets what are you in 1998 sheesh.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The windows 10 app is actually really nice. Clean interface, and adds a skip/back seek control you don't get on the web interface.
You can also sync media to it, ideal if you just want to keep a small cache of local content on a notebook/netbook when your media isn't very transportable.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I wish the windows 10 app would cast to my chromecast though. Then again haven't really used it much yet maybe it can and I didn't see it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Khablam posted:

You can also sync media to it, ideal if you just want to keep a small cache of local content on a notebook/netbook when your media isn't very transportable.

I really hope this gets added to the AppleTV build, my connection here is badly traffic managed so if I could sync stuff overnight to watch without nightmares it'd be a massive improvement.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm trying to get this thing working on my desktop so I can stream to my PS4, but for some reason the server on my desktop cannot connect to anything, and my PS4 can't even find it locally... I'm not even sure if it's looking for it locally, it's not like the app has good documentation.

Tried a few YouTube videos, no clue what's up. Pretty disappointing, had hoped it wouldn't require what I imagine will be buying a whole new router setup or something... or maybe it's just a fake out and I need to get the PlexPass for it to work? The announcements claim that PS4 streaming is now free as of 12/15/15.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fuzz posted:

I'm trying to get this thing working on my desktop so I can stream to my PS4, but for some reason the server on my desktop cannot connect to anything, and my PS4 can't even find it locally... I'm not even sure if it's looking for it locally, it's not like the app has good documentation.

Tried a few YouTube videos, no clue what's up. Pretty disappointing, had hoped it wouldn't require what I imagine will be buying a whole new router setup or something... or maybe it's just a fake out and I need to get the PlexPass for it to work? The announcements claim that PS4 streaming is now free as of 12/15/15.

Is your PS4 connected to the same network as your desktop? A lot of routers have multiple network capability.

I would also eliminate variables - get it working on your desktop so you can watch videos through Plex Home Theater on there PC first.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Other than your router being the culprit, I honestly can't imagine what else might be causing the Plex app on the PS4 to not see your desktop running Plex Media Server. Can you log in to your Plex account on another PC and at least launch the web app an access your server from there? Here's a quick start guide for reference: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200264746-Quick-Start-Step-by-Step

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Is this poor grammatical phrasing or what is the problem with the server? It doesn't connect to anything, things connect to it.

Can you navigate to http://127.0.0.1:32400/web/index.html ?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do you have an overly aggressive firewall running on the server?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Khablam posted:

Is this poor grammatical phrasing or what is the problem with the server? It doesn't connect to anything, things connect to it.

Can you navigate to http://127.0.0.1:32400/web/index.html ?

In the server options you have the option to broadcast. It says it can't and I have a red dot.

This is via a Cisco router, but it's extended off of a Verizon FiOS router/modem that I'm stuck with and it has had trouble with other stuff in the past, wouldn't be surprised if it's just impossible to do with their hardware. Ah well.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Fuzz posted:

In the server options you have the option to broadcast. It says it can't and I have a red dot.

This is via a Cisco router, but it's extended off of a Verizon FiOS router/modem that I'm stuck with and it has had trouble with other stuff in the past, wouldn't be surprised if it's just impossible to do with their hardware. Ah well.

why do you have a router behind that? See if you can put the verzion device into Gateway mode. Otherwise you are probably Double-NAT'ing and that is generally not a thing to do in home networks

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, you're double-NATing and this is largely a bad thing. If you don't want to replace hardware, just have the 'server' and 'clients' connect to the same router. You won't be able to connect from outside of your network until you have a single NAT (one router) with a forwarded port.

If you can stick that router into "modem mode" (not sure if it supports it) you may be able to stop the double NAT, but you would still need to connect entirely to the Cisco.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Get rid of that extraneous Cisco router and get a regular network switch to hook up to your FIOS router if you need to extend your wired network across rooms or floors (I'm assuming that's why you got a Cisco router to connect to your ISP router).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Khablam posted:

Yeah, you're double-NATing and this is largely a bad thing. If you don't want to replace hardware, just have the 'server' and 'clients' connect to the same router. You won't be able to connect from outside of your network until you have a single NAT (one router) with a forwarded port.

If you can stick that router into "modem mode" (not sure if it supports it) you may be able to stop the double NAT, but you would still need to connect entirely to the Cisco.

The Cisco is just feeding IPs to the FiOS one (DNS is off). I have to have it because my 3DS can't connect to the FiOS directly because it's a pile of poo poo. I tried wiring the computer and PS4 directly to the FiOS because that's my default setup, no luck.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Jesus just buy one good router and be done with it.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Set up the FiOS to just simply pass through your connection, and have your router assume all the router duties.

Its how I have mine working, and it lets you stop renting the FiOS router as well.

Its a couple config pages, a reboot, and good to go.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Roundboy posted:

Set up the FiOS to just simply pass through your connection, and have your router assume all the router duties.

Its how I have mine working, and it lets you stop renting the FiOS router as well.

Its a couple config pages, a reboot, and good to go.

You guys all suggesting I just skip the Verizon router clearly don't have FiOS... the new router IS the modem and you CANNOT deactivate it. You have to use it. It's garbage and lovely, but I'm stuck with it.

The only way to completely turn it off would be if you only have their Internet, not the phone or TV. I have my TV service through them, so if I deactivate it entirely I'll literally have no TV. It's all built into a package deal.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
At my old house I had FiOS and if I remember correctly I used this guide: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/SimplifyingYourNetworkWithABridgeMakingAnFIOsActionTecMI424WRANetworkBridge.aspx to set it into a bridge mode. On Demand, menus, etc. still worked and I didn't have to work with their lovely modem/router.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

calandryll posted:

At my old house I had FiOS and if I remember correctly I used this guide: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/SimplifyingYourNetworkWithABridgeMakingAnFIOsActionTecMI424WRANetworkBridge.aspx to set it into a bridge mode. On Demand, menus, etc. still worked and I didn't have to work with their lovely modem/router.

They don't use the ActionTec anymore, so sadly you can't do this now. :smithicide:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
It's more involved but people have successfully bridged the Quantum gateways and kept VOD/etc working. You can google it up and see if its something you're interested in. Getting Plex working with double NAT is a pain. If it was me I would take the short term annoyance of doing the bridge stuff because you do it once and then your setup is good for most purposes instead of continually running into issues. Anyways good luck with whatever you decide.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
You could also just set your router to a static IP and then DMZ it. That might help with trying to traverse the Verizon router.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

It's more involved but people have successfully bridged the Quantum gateways and kept VOD/etc working. You can google it up and see if its something you're interested in. Getting Plex working with double NAT is a pain. If it was me I would take the short term annoyance of doing the bridge stuff because you do it once and then your setup is good for most purposes instead of continually running into issues. Anyways good luck with whatever you decide.

I'll look into it, because literally the only reason I'm using the Verizon Gateway POS is because of the TV service, and it was my understanding that cutting out the router would gently caress up my TV service. It's so dumb that they tie everything to the router... the actual FiOS control box is sitting right there next to it, clearly being the actual data transmitting device, but I looked into physically removing the router and just hooking my Cisco directly into it and apparently some of the data streaming hardware is physically on the router, as well, so without it the Cisco can't make sense of all the data it's getting from the main box because Verizon is a bunch of stupid assholes. (but my alternatives in Manhattan are Time Warner :suicide: and like... Comcast :suicide::suicide:, I think, so I totally chose the best option)

EDIT:
I did some more research, and according tot his:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

I have my setup as per Option #3, with a LAN to LAN connection of my router, which has its DNS and DHCP off and is purely just a secondary WAP that actually supports WPA2 with TKIP, unlike the Verizon one. According to the site, there's no Double NAT, so... yeah, what's up with Plex being a bitch, then?

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 21, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

On a basic level, can you ping the PS4 from the server PC, and visa-versa?
Is the PS4 on the same subnet, with the same gateway IP?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Khablam posted:

On a basic level, can you ping the PS4 from the server PC, and visa-versa?
Is the PS4 on the same subnet, with the same gateway IP?

It should be, they're both wired into the same router when I try them. From what I've seen, the PS4 App is apparently retarded and will only look for servers on the internet, not on your network, so... yeah. No way to test. Can the Android App search on the same network?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Fuzz posted:

It should be, they're both wired into the same router when I try them. From what I've seen, the PS4 App is apparently retarded and will only look for servers on the internet, not on your network, so... yeah. No way to test. Can the Android App search on the same network?
You can't load a command prompt on the server?

Just bring up a command prompt, and type
ping [PS4 IP]
eg
code:
ping 192.168.0.10
to verify they can see one another.

It's almost impossible to tell from your description what's working and what isn't with your setup.

e: there shouldn't be a need to search, if you're signed in on the PS4 app it should list every server on that account and it's connection status.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

This is what I see on my PC side... the port forwards just fine.

I just checked again on my PS4 and this time it actually is showing up in Plex... apparently I hadn't updated the app, and between that and the port fuckery it's working on the same network now, though most of my library isn't showing up but that's probably because I didn't do any of the labeling poo poo while still testing them.

Windows Firewall is off.

I have NOD32 but I've added exceptions for all the Plex exes so that it doesn't block any of them.

On the Cisco router it's set to Bridge Mode with a static IP, DHCP is off, NAT is off. It gets x.x.x.11-x.x.x.254, my desktop is set to go to a static IP that's less than 11 so it never gets overwritten. No idea where I'm going wrong at this point.

EDIT: Oh, and I turned off Adblock Plus in Firefox for the Plex site.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 22, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Fuzz posted:

I just checked again on my PS4 and this time it actually is showing up in Plex... apparently I hadn't updated the app, and between that and the port fuckery it's working on the same network now, though most of my library isn't showing up but that's probably because I didn't do any of the labeling poo poo while still testing them.

Windows Firewall is off.

I have NOD32 but I've added exceptions for all the Plex exes so that it doesn't block any of them.

On the Cisco router it's set to Bridge Mode with a static IP, DHCP is off, NAT is off. It gets x.x.x.11-x.x.x.254, my desktop is set to go to a static IP that's less than 11 so it never gets overwritten. No idea where I'm going wrong at this point.

Wait a second

Why do you have dhcp off? Are you just sending your IP from your ISP through to your PC (or using a provided static)? What's your ps4 getting? Is something else like a modem doing dhcp? What kind of home network are you using?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Windows Firewall is off.

Your PS4 can connect to the server? Then it's working fine. External access is for, well, external access and you have a port forward problem.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Question for those that transcode/stream remotely/share, what do you find more limiting these days, upload BW or CPU power? I'm hesitant to share my personal PMS with my family due to the hit it'll take if I'm gaming or running VMs. Both CPU and BW wise.

My Hardware: i7-2600K, 12TB Movies/TV, 100 Down/10 Up (Mbps)

Remote Server (Germany): i7-3770, 6TB Storage for Linux ISO sharing, 1Gbit Down/ 300 Mbps Up, root access

Problem is, the remote server peers horribly to the USA, west coast (me) at 4/16 Mbps via CLI speedtest and 35/20 to the east coast where they are located. I plan on testing both when I'm home next month when I decide whichever box to get them FireTV/AppleTV, etc.

tl;dr I want to make sure I don't take too much of a hit if I share my 'personal' library with 3 users at worst simultaneously. They'll be kept at 2-3mbps 720p quality.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
My original setup was a C2D @3ghz and that choked when i had a large disparity between transcoding and the source bitrate.

I upgraded to a similar i7 and I tested multiple streams transcoding at the same time and the server did not break a sweat. Talking >10mbit video 1080p down to the low end of the video stream.

When playing direct, I could see my cpu go to basically idle, and my upload bandwidth skyrocket .

When I had Comcast/rcn 10mbit uploads I saw stuttering long before approaching that limit,and since switching to FiOS 50/50,I can direct stream multiple 1080p at full bandwidth no problem.

I share my library with a few people, and I have never noticed a problem with them streaming as well as home streaming, and with traffic shaping I can play online or have Netflix going at the same time.

Cliff notes: bandwidth > cpu to a certain level of cpu. But i7 can handle it.

You are going to have issues with the consistency of bandwidth from overseas before transcoding issues.

Oh I did have one problem streaming certain multichannel mkv to a firetv box and had to change containers to mp4, but that is rare enough now.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

iajanus posted:

Wait a second

Why do you have dhcp off? Are you just sending your IP from your ISP through to your PC (or using a provided static)? What's your ps4 getting? Is something else like a modem doing dhcp? What kind of home network are you using?

DHCP was off on the Cisco, because it's on on the Verizon router.

Basically the Verizon router is the NAT and DHCP, distributing IPs (UPnP on there, as well) while the Cisco is just a bridged set of IPs under the same system, plus a wifi network. (wifi on the Verizon is turned off)

Not sure what happened, but this morning when I turned everything on it was working and I can access from outside, which is what I wanted. Guess maybe the network or router reset overnight or something... I had reset it manually multiple times and it didn't do poo poo, but whatever, all working now!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EconOutlines posted:

Question for those that transcode/stream remotely/share, what do you find more limiting these days, upload BW or CPU power? I'm hesitant to share my personal PMS with my family due to the hit it'll take if I'm gaming or running VMs. Both CPU and BW wise.

My Hardware: i7-2600K, 12TB Movies/TV, 100 Down/10 Up (Mbps)

Remote Server (Germany): i7-3770, 6TB Storage for Linux ISO sharing, 1Gbit Down/ 300 Mbps Up, root access

Problem is, the remote server peers horribly to the USA, west coast (me) at 4/16 Mbps via CLI speedtest and 35/20 to the east coast where they are located. I plan on testing both when I'm home next month when I decide whichever box to get them FireTV/AppleTV, etc.

tl;dr I want to make sure I don't take too much of a hit if I share my 'personal' library with 3 users at worst simultaneously. They'll be kept at 2-3mbps 720p quality.

Use the remote server, those 3 streams can float to about 2-2.5Gb of RAM depending on the type of transcode, and a very significant portion of your CPU (I'd guestimate that CPU would top out at 4 streams, so you're planning to possibly lose 40-60%).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Man, that was dumb. Paid $5 for the android app activation, only to find out on my kindle that it's free of you use the Amazon store and have Prime.

Oh well, hopefully the devs get most of it.