Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Asiina posted:

Portion sizes are a problem, for sure, but the solutions for them already exist when eating at a restaurant if you are looking for them, and are easy enough for most people to do.

This is only true if you are capable of declining to eat the food that's right in front of your face which increasing evidence suggests is more difficult than we sometimes think. It also doesn't help much if you take home leftovers but ate 75% of a meal containing 1,200 calories. You're still massively overeating and you probably don't even know it. I think portion sizes are probably one of the biggest problems, both as a cue for how much you should eat when you are eating out, and as a cue for how much you should cook when you cook for yourself.

I agree that lumping in all restaurants together isn't totally perfect, but it's broadly accurate. The smaller portions you receive at high end restaurants tend to be cooked with rich ingredients so it's not even a sure thing that you are receiving less calories there. But like you said, most people don't have the means to eat out at these types of restaurants at all, let alone regularly and those that do have plenty of resources at their disposal to deal with issues of weight and personal health. Low and middle income people make up the vast majority of people in our country and the vast majority of overweight people - and they, I suspect, eat out much more more often than their wealthier counterparts, partly owing to monetary constraints, and partly to time constraints.

If it is true that the vast majority of restaurant meals contains too many calories, whether that is due to physical portion size or calorie-dense ingredients (or both), I think that is a very good place to start looking when it comes to solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

On the bright side: one day you will die.

Something to look forward to.

Sub Par posted:

If it is true that the vast majority of restaurant meals contains too many calories, whether that is due to physical portion size or calorie-dense ingredients (or both), I think that is a very good place to start looking when it comes to solutions.

I think though if you just unilaterally reduce portion sizes people will feel ripped off, especially if they are paying the same money for less food, even though they were getting too much before. You'll have to educate people, which is where the larger issue comes up and is what that article is saying doesn't work.

If you instead offer options like more half-portions or more varied healthier options, then I think those are mostly going to cater to the kind of people who would have used a take-away container or wouldn't have ordered the combo meal in the first place, since those are the ones you are already monitoring the amount of food they eat and using whatever the system gives them to help them control their intake, so those options aren't for them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

weird vanilla posted:

Depending on how long ago your time in the school system was, you may not have seen the growth industry of lunchroom-accessible vending machines or externally-sponsored "fast-food" alternatives. This doesn't apply as much in elementary school, but becomes a bigger factor in high schools. I went to a rural high school in the 90s, and I'd guess 1/3-1/2 the students didn't eat the "traditional" school lunch.

We had those, but most people didn't end up using it because they were considerably more expensive for what you got than the school lunch - which makes sense since after all school lunches are subsidized. The only thing that wasn't significantly more expensive was pizza from an outside delivery chain, but still it was like two slices off a 16 inch pie for the cost of two normal school lunch meals.

Noam Chomsky posted:

This is kind of what I was talking about in my original post. Our entire culture - from supermarkets to restaurants to fast food - is built around eating and typically eating the richest foods in the biggest portions.

Every country/culture that can afford it is built that way. Food is one of the most basic luxuries you can get!

Cingulate posted:

1. I didn't make up the scientific studies according to which palatability is correlated with food intake. You may interpret it any way you like, too.

2. It is certainly possible to overeat in chicken meat with breading deep fried and served with a Coke. However, it is practically impossible to get fat on chicken breast and broccoli. Note: chicken breast and broccoli. Not, meals that include chicken breast and broccoli in addition to a bunch of fat and carbs.

I know you're not inclined to pay attention to the content of other posters arguments or the scientific evidence being referenced here, but if you happen to be fat right now: here's a tip. Eat more lean meat and plants, and less carbs and fat. Take it on blind faith.

Then school lunch must not be as unpalatable as people were claiming it to me considering how many people in it.

Again: This is a total lie, chicken breast and broccoli have no special powers to keep you from getting fat. You personally seem to not like eating too much at once, a lot of people do.

Doing what you say is just as likely to make people fatter or thinner, just like any other specific diet plan dude.

Sub Par posted:

This is only true if you are capable of declining to eat the food that's right in front of your face which increasing evidence suggests is more difficult than we sometimes think. It also doesn't help much if you take home leftovers but ate 75% of a meal containing 1,200 calories. You're still massively overeating and you probably don't even know it. I think portion sizes are probably one of the biggest problems, both as a cue for how much you should eat when you are eating out, and as a cue for how much you should cook when you cook for yourself.

I agree that lumping in all restaurants together isn't totally perfect, but it's broadly accurate. The smaller portions you receive at high end restaurants tend to be cooked with rich ingredients so it's not even a sure thing that you are receiving less calories there. But like you said, most people don't have the means to eat out at these types of restaurants at all, let alone regularly and those that do have plenty of resources at their disposal to deal with issues of weight and personal health. Low and middle income people make up the vast majority of people in our country and the vast majority of overweight people - and they, I suspect, eat out much more more often than their wealthier counterparts, partly owing to monetary constraints, and partly to time constraints.

Focusing on restaurants is a red herring I think. Eating at restaurants has been slowly declining since the 80s, and eating take out has been declining since the early 2000s: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/11/12/americans-are-falling-out-of-love-with-restaurants-in-3-charts/

"As a result, the average American only eats food from or at a restaurant roughly 191 times per year, the smallest number since 1993, and more than 10 percent less than in 2000 when the average American ate or ordered out about 215 times."

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 21, 2016

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Broccoli has no magic powers, and no one claimed it did. It's just that you'd have to do nothing all day but eat broccoli in order to even maybe gain weight due to its low caloric density.

Not that many people want to eat only plain chicken breasts and broccoli, but that wasn't your point.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trent posted:

Broccoli has no magic powers, and no one claimed it did. It's just that you'd have to do nothing all day but eat broccoli in order to even maybe gain weight due to its low caloric density.

Not that many people want to eat only plain chicken breasts and broccoli, but that wasn't your point.

Except he's saying to eat chicken breast with it. Chicken breast is a pretty midrange meat for calories, and if you're eating it with broccoli, you can easily consume thousands of calories.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

It's incredibly difficult to eat 2,500+ calories in grilled chicken breast and broccoli compared to 2,500+ calories in the things obese people actually eat. That's not really up for debate.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It's incredibly difficult to eat 2,500+ calories in grilled chicken breast and broccoli compared to 2,500+ calories in the things obese people actually eat. That's not really up for debate.

I have seen fat people at the college cafeteria down 3 pounds of grilled chicken breast, which is somewhere between 1800 and 2200 calories depending on precisely how you prepare it. And this after seeing the same people eating a full breakfast earlier in the day.

The idea no one can overeat chicken breast and broccoli is downright laughable, and is an example of the broken thinking so many people have about food. "I can eat as much as I want of Food X because you can't get fat on that" is a common way people end up fat.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm sure people are sitting down and plowing through 6-8 chicken breasts in one meal all the time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm sure people are sitting down and plowing through 6-8 chicken breasts in one meal all the time.

Fat people certainly have done it and do it, so it's stupid to tout any foods as "a thing you can eat all you want of and not get fat". If you were just trying to say "if you eat a reasonable portion you won't get fat" then hello, that's also every food ever.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

fishmech posted:

Fat people certainly have done it and do it, so it's stupid to tout any foods as "a thing you can eat all you want of and not get fat". If you were just trying to say "if you eat a reasonable portion you won't get fat" then hello, that's also every food ever.

Except carbs, which have a ton more calories than most things so you shouldn't eat them.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Astrofig posted:

Except carbs, which have a ton more calories than most things so you shouldn't eat them.

Um

I'm really tired of playing the "are they trolling or just stupid" game in this forum

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Astrofig posted:

They do not. It's the same calories per gram as protein, and less than the calories per gram of fat.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

No, they don't.

If your "reasonable portion" is exactly 150 kcal, then yes all foods are equal in calories, but not equal in any other way be it a measurement of macronutrients you need or a general feeling of fullness that helps you stop eating.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

Though someone else was, I wasn't saying anything as extreme as "you can't gain weight on mostly chicken," because people do that (but usually deliberately). I'm saying that the dude who eats mostly chicken is far less likely to gain weight than the dude who eats mostly fast food and sweets, because you need to eat a comparatively massive volume and weight of food to get the same calories off of chicken. Most people get a "stop eating" signal when they've worked through a pound of lean meat, whereas most people don't get a "stop eating" signal when they've worked through a Big Gulp of soda.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Though someone else was, I wasn't saying anything as extreme as "you can't gain weight on mostly chicken," because people do that (but usually deliberately). I'm saying that the dude who eats mostly chicken is far less likely to gain weight than the dude who eats mostly fast food and sweets, because you need to eat a comparatively massive volume and weight of food to get the same calories off of chicken. Most people get a "stop eating" signal when they've worked through a pound of lean meat, whereas most people don't get a "stop eating" signal when they've worked through a Big Gulp of soda.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Asiina posted:

No, they don't.

If your "reasonable portion" is exactly 150 kcal, then yes all foods are equal in calories, but not equal in any other way be it a measurement of macronutrients you need or a general feeling of fullness that helps you stop eating.

Macronutrient mix is pretty irrelevant to how filling most meals are, and you should stop obsessing over it (because meals tend to have the three big ones pretty evenly balanced) . There ain't nothing special about chicken breast that prevents over eating.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Actually most people do stop drinking when they've had close to a liter of soda. That's a ton of liquid, and you gotta wait a while it you're normal to even drink all of it, let alone continue eating more alongside it. And keep in mind the double gulp is a full half gallon.

Also it's kinda amazing that you ignore there's a ton of chicken in fast food? And overrate "sweets" excessively.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

fishmech posted:

I have seen fat people at the college cafeteria down 3 pounds of grilled chicken breast, which is somewhere between 1800 and 2200 calories depending on precisely how you prepare it. And this after seeing the same people eating a full breakfast earlier in the day.

The idea no one can overeat chicken breast and broccoli is downright laughable, and is an example of the broken thinking so many people have about food. "I can eat as much as I want of Food X because you can't get fat on that" is a common way people end up fat.

There are people who do this, sure, but just a few pages ago you were complaining that someone was saying a fat person can eat two boxes of pop tarts before lunch. I know you want to drive home the point that you don't HAVE to eat high calorie food to get fat because you're tired of people advertising fad diets and saying certain types of food are bad, but you're going overboard.

Personally, I would find it way easier to eat 2000 calories worth of pop tarts than 3 pounds of baked chicken breast. In fact I think most people would. Yes, it's hard to get statistics on this, but there have been studies done suggesting that foods with a high amount of both fat and sugar don't satisfy people/rats as quickly as foods with only a high amount of one or the other (or neither). The fattest of the fat might eat too much of absolutely everything, but there's no point pretending that there aren't a ton of moderately overweight people who eat regular-sized meals but then derail everything by compulsively eating high-calorie snacks. I find it almost unbelievable that you didn't grow up surrounded by people who wanted to lose 10-20 pounds but then kept going "ugh, I've been good all day but I really want this slice of cake/glass of wine/bag of cheetos" each evening.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

Macronutrient mix is pretty irrelevant to how filling most meals are, and you should stop obsessing over it (because meals tend to have the three big ones pretty evenly balanced) . There ain't nothing special about chicken breast that prevents over eating.

Actually most people do stop drinking when they've had close to a liter of soda. That's a ton of liquid, and you gotta wait a while it you're normal to even drink all of it, let alone continue eating more alongside it. And keep in mind the double gulp is a full half gallon.

Also it's kinda amazing that you ignore there's a ton of chicken in fast food? And overrate "sweets" excessively.

I'm breaking the "don't argue with fishmech" rule to say you're just plain wrong.

You definitely feel more full after 600 calories of steak or chicken than 600 calories of pizza or chips. Part of it has to do with the body's glycemic response to simple carbohydrates.

Part of the reason the ketogenic diet is my go- to diet is the satiety the foods it allows for provides. I've done traditional high carb mod protiene and low fat diet and I was always way way more hungry on that diet.

I often agree with you but you just don't know what you are talking about here.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Don't argue with me about things I'm not trying to argue about like "lol there's chicken in fast food", I'm disproving the following moronic claim: "Calorie for calorie, all foods provide the same satiety response."

The research programmes I posted about upthread are fundamentally based on the idea this is not true; most public health solutions are based on the idea that this is not true; the demonstrated short-term success of food-class-restricted diets in RCTs is explained by this not being true; and I can't imagine you can find a single legitimate citation that claims it is true.

In contrast, it's trivial to find articles that claim the opposite, that calorie for calorie, different foods produce different satiety responses. Five seconds of effort got me this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7498104

quote:

OBJECTIVE:
The aim of this study was to produce a validated satiety index of common foods.

DESIGN AND SUBJECTS:
Isoenergetic 1000 kJ (240 kcal) servings of 38 foods separated into six food categories (fruits, bakery products, snack foods, carbohydrate-rich foods, protein-rich foods, breakfast cereals) were fed to groups of 11-13 subjects. Satiety ratings were obtained every 15 min over 120 min after which subjects were free to eat ad libitum from a standard range of foods and drinks. A satiety index (SI) score was calculated by dividing the area under the satiety response curve (AUC) for the test food by the group mean satiety AUC for white bread and multiplying by 100. Thus, white bread had an SI score of 100% and the SI scores of the other foods were expressed as a percentage of white bread.

RESULTS:
There were significant differences in satiety both within and between the six food categories. The highest SI score was produced by boiled potatoes (323 +/- 51%) which was seven-fold higher than the lowest SI score of the croissant (47 +/- 17%). Most foods (76%) had an SI score greater than or equal to white bread. The amount of energy eaten immediately after 120 min correlated negatively with the mean satiety AUC responses (r = -0.37, P < 0.05, n = 43) thereby supporting the subjective satiety ratings. SI scores correlated positively with the serving weight of the foods (r = 0.66, P < 0.001, n = 38) and negatively with palatability ratings (r = -0.64, P < 0.001, n = 38). Protein, fibre, and water contents of the test foods correlated positively with SI scores (r = 0.37, P < 0.05, n = 38; r = 0.46, P < 0.01; and r = 0.64, P < 0.001; respectively) whereas fat content was negatively associated (r = -0.43, P < 0.01).

CONCLUSION:
The results show that isoenergetic servings of different foods differ greatly in their satiating capacities. This is relevant to the treatment and prevention of overweight and obesity.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 21, 2016

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Noam Chomsky posted:

You definitely feel more full after 600 calories of steak or chicken than 600 calories of pizza or chips. Part of it has to do with the body's glycemic response to simple carbohydrates.

I'm debating whether this is worthwhile to point out, but I'm pretty sure the relationship between glycemic index and hunger is weak at best. e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8968699 It's a bit more complicated than just carbs -> insulin -> hungry.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm debating whether this is worthwhile to point out, but I'm pretty sure the relationship between glycemic index and hunger is weak at best. e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8968699 It's a bit more complicated than just carbs -> insulin -> hungry.
It's complex, ie., nonlinear.

Insulin is one satiety trigger btw.

fishmech posted:

Again: This is a total lie, chicken breast and broccoli have no special powers to keep you from getting fat. You personally seem to not like eating too much at once, a lot of people do.
I see you are unfamiliar both with reality, and the scientific literature.

fishmech posted:

Except he's saying to eat chicken breast with it. Chicken breast is a pretty midrange meat for calories, and if you're eating it with broccoli, you can easily consume thousands of calories.
It's in fact even more practically impossible to overeat on purely broccoli, but the problem is you'd go insane and/or die very quickly if you tried that.

Also at 100kcal/100g, chicken breast is pretty much the lowest calorie source in its class.

fishmech posted:

100 g chicken breast ~ 110 kcal, x3x4.5 ~ 1.485 kcal.

Compare to 3lbs of bacon. Or 3lbs of literally any other food source, e.g. chicken wings - roughly 4500 kcal - so a person who manages 3 pounds of chicken breast would probably manage 3 lbs of chicken wings, but with 3 lbs of chicken wings, they've already eaten 4500 kcal. Think of 1500 kcal of chicken plus 3000 kcal of broccoli; you will see why it would be so much, and fundamentally impossibly, harder to get fat on literally chicken breast plus broccoli.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Chicken gets a bad rap because Americans loving love deep fried chicken. The difference between a breaded, deep fried chicken breast and a baked one is a few hundred calories. It's massive. Another issue is fiber; vegetables don't have much when it comes to carbs but plenty of fiber. It fills you up faster without putting as many calories in.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Chicken gets a bad rap because Americans loving love deep fried chicken. The difference between a breaded, deep fried chicken breast and a baked one is a few hundred calories. It's massive. Another issue is fiber; vegetables don't have much when it comes to carbs but plenty of fiber. It fills you up faster without putting as many calories in.
Yeah it's about adding carbs and fat.

And the energy from protein is probably an overestimate of the actual net metabolizable energy (specifically for protein). The calculations on your labels are probably based on 3.75kcal/g or maybe 4, and reality might look more like 3.2kcal/g. And chicken breast by itself is ONLY protein.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Fry the chicken, pour ranch on the broccoli to make it palatable and now you've got a mess. This is why my coworker, who has been put on a diet because of sleep apnea, is driving me nuts right now. He's been whining everyday about how bored he is with his food and how gross veggies taste. He's literally shoved his Tupperware across the table with a big dramatic sigh that he just can't eat it, then complains about being horribly hungry.

Just eat the loving broccoli you big babby.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bast Relief posted:

Fry the chicken, pour ranch on the broccoli to make it palatable and now you've got a mess. This is why my coworker, who has been put on a diet because of sleep apnea, is driving me nuts right now. He's been whining everyday about how bored he is with his food and how gross veggies taste. He's literally shoved his Tupperware across the table with a big dramatic sigh that he just can't eat it, then complains about being horribly hungry.

EVERYTHING about the situation is set up against him. Tasty, energy-rich food is the prototypical reward. His situation is inherently one of suffering.
Maybe a heart attack sometimes is the better choice (for single people).

I think two major problems with regards to dieting for weight loss are
1. it inherently means not eating what, and how much, you want
2. people try to sell you the opposite

You can see how much #1 sucks by how common #2 is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There are plenty of spices and flavorings that add little or no calories. Not everything needs ranch.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There's also multiple kinds of vegetables so if you don't like broccoli you can just like, you know, eat something else. This idea that healthy eating = broccoli is absurd.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No but you can't always get what you want. Or in the case if a fat person wanting to be lean, almost never. You can come to terms with not having what you'd prefer to eat, and you can go the hard or the less hard way. But it's inherently about not getting what you want. Ever.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cingulate posted:

No but you can't always get what you want. Or in the case if a fat person wanting to be lean, almost never. You can come to terms with not having what you'd prefer to eat, and you can go the hard or the less hard way. But it's inherently about not getting what you want. Ever.

That's not entirely true. The people I know who succeeded in their diets were the ones that cheated on them. Probably the most successful way is "6 days of healthy eating and if I behave I get to eat garbage for a day." It's way better than eating like crap 7 days a week and turns your favorite food into a reward instead of some tantalizing thing always out of reach you can't have anymore.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's not entirely true. The people I know who succeeded in their diets were the ones that cheated on them. Probably the most successful way is "6 days of healthy eating and if I behave I get to eat garbage for a day." It's way better than eating like crap 7 days a week and turns your favorite food into a reward instead of some tantalizing thing always out of reach you can't have anymore.

I generally agree, but it shouldn't be "cheating" it should be built in. You don't need a caloric deficit every day but you do need one overall. Being minus two hundred calories per day for six days and then binging plus six thousand on "cheat day" is a recipe for worse than failure. It can lead to not trusting the whole system because they suffered through 6/7 days and still gained weight.

It's perfectly possible to plan your week to include a meal of pretty much whatever you want. You shouldn't allow yourself to "cheat", just plan for it. Budgeting calories is a lot like budgeting money (which people are also terrible at by and large I suppose). You can scrimp for six days knowing you will have a larger expense on
the seventh.

Definitely agreeing that this system works much better psychologically than the 100% chicken breast and broccoli / onion and banana juice / whatever thing all the time method.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Weldon Pemberton posted:

There are people who do this, sure, but just a few pages ago you were complaining that someone was saying a fat person can eat two boxes of pop tarts before lunch. I know you want to drive home the point that you don't HAVE to eat high calorie food to get fat because you're tired of people advertising fad diets and saying certain types of food are bad, but you're going overboard.

Personally, I would find it way easier to eat 2000 calories worth of pop tarts than 3 pounds of baked chicken breast. In fact I think most people would. Yes, it's hard to get statistics on this, but there have been studies done suggesting that foods with a high amount of both fat and sugar don't satisfy people/rats as quickly as foods with only a high amount of one or the other (or neither). The fattest of the fat might eat too much of absolutely everything, but there's no point pretending that there aren't a ton of moderately overweight people who eat regular-sized meals but then derail everything by compulsively eating high-calorie snacks. I find it almost unbelievable that you didn't grow up surrounded by people who wanted to lose 10-20 pounds but then kept going "ugh, I've been good all day but I really want this slice of cake/glass of wine/bag of cheetos" each evening.

Because eating two boxes of pop tarts before lunch is still something people don't do.

No, most people would not find it easier to eat nearly a pound and a half of pop tarts, while eating multiple pounds of chicken is a thing people do pretty often who are fat.

Plus your argument doesn't make sense, because say 2000 calories of the average pop tart is only 80% of the 2000 calorie recommended fat, while 120% of daily carbs (only half being simple sugars). It'd also be 50% of your daily protein. So it ain't got a high amount of sugars in it compared to the fat, nor is the fat particularly high on its own.

Noam Chomsky posted:

I'm breaking the "don't argue with fishmech" rule to say you're just plain wrong.

Part of the reason the ketogenic diet is my go- to diet is the satiety the foods it allows for provides. I've done traditional high carb mod protiene and low fat diet and I was always way way more hungry on that diet.

I often agree with you but you just don't know what you are talking about here.

I call loving bullshit on the pizza part, unless you're talking some weird artisinal pizza with barely anything on it.

Also cool, you're one of those keto nuts. Guess what? That doesn't work for most people. And for many people, attempting keto can cause organ failure.

Cingulate posted:

It's complex, ie., nonlinear.

Insulin is one satiety trigger btw.
I see you are unfamiliar both with reality, and the scientific literature.
It's in fact even more practically impossible to overeat on purely broccoli, but the problem is you'd go insane and/or die very quickly if you tried that.

Also at 100kcal/100g, chicken breast is pretty much the lowest calorie source in its class.
100 g chicken breast ~ 110 kcal, x3x4.5 ~ 1.485 kcal.

Compare to 3lbs of bacon. Or 3lbs of literally any other food source, e.g. chicken wings - roughly 4500 kcal - so a person who manages 3 pounds of chicken breast would probably manage 3 lbs of chicken wings, but with 3 lbs of chicken wings, they've already eaten 4500 kcal. Think of 1500 kcal of chicken plus 3000 kcal of broccoli; you will see why it would be so much, and fundamentally impossibly, harder to get fat on literally chicken breast plus broccoli.

I see you are unfamiliar with reality because you continue insisting that chicken breast is some sort of wonder food when it isn't. Also no one cares that broccoli doesn't have a lot of calories.

People literally eat literal chicken breast literally a ton and are fat as hell. Literally. That they have some broccoli as well doesn't change that. I don't know why you find it so hard to believe that an extremely common form of meat is eaten by people who get fat.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Saying that in order to diet you have to live the life of an ascetic monk is going a little overboard. A lot of the posters in SA's fitness forum are ex-fat kids, and they don't seem to be constantly unhappy about not being able to scarf down junk food all the time like they used to. A lot of them don't live on diets of only chicken breast and broccoli too.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 21, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bast Relief posted:

Well, part of the problem is that the one-size-fits-all eat-flavorless-healthy-stuff diet sets people up for failure.

A 60-year-old friend of mine lost 120 lbs. by pretty much eating Quest Bars and other assorted MRP type stuff and the occasional chicken salad from Wendy's. She was 350+ needed to lose the weight for a knee replacement surgery. A big part of her success was finding foods she liked that fit her lifestyle and that she could stick to eating that fit her calorie goals - no matter how silly or seemingly "unhealthy."

A big part of my weight loss is developing habits to the extreme. Eating things that are healthy and fit the macros I need that I can eat every single day. That way I never think about what I eat because I've limited myself to a certain array of things that I have at certain times.

Hell, when I first started out and lost my first 20 to 30 lbs. I just stopped eating fast food and pizza, and regular soda and then counted calories for everything else. Of course, I was lifting weights 3 days a week and using the elliptical every day, so I had a little more wiggle room when it came to calories.

Having a big fat guy, who is used to eating the most delicious stuff we can possibly create, go straight into chicken & broccoli for lunch every day is loving stupid. Your average GP doctor knows gently caress-all about how to actually lose weight or what it's like to actually do it.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is what I've done. Some people (idiot assholes) say it creates eating disorders and other associated bullshit. However, it's the only way I've gotten through.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
loving hell, does fishmech have a job or something?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

I call loving bullshit on the pizza part, unless you're talking some weird artisinal pizza with barely anything on it.

Also cool, you're one of those keto nuts. Guess what? That doesn't work for most people. And for many people, attempting keto can cause organ failure.

As a guy who can eat a metric gently caress ton of food, I will tell you I can down 3000 calories of Pizza easy peasy and not even get close to eating the same calories for chicken. After a couple of grilled chicken breasts, I'm done. I can barely finish an 800 calorie ribeye streak that I order at one of my favorite places.

Also, LOL @ "keto nuts." It's worked for me before and it's working for me now. There's no evidence that it doesn't work for most people. There are hundreds and hundreds of people who it's worked out great for. I've had blood work done multiple times while on the diet and everything's always pretty perfect. But, if being a "nut" means I get to lose 100 lbs., much easier than if I was doing a high carb diet, then I'm content to be a "nut." They also use the diet to sometimes treat seizures and depression as well.

I know your objective/gimmick is to use your copious amount of spare time to be as contrarian and pedantic as possible, so that you can get other people to waste their time. So, I'm not going to assume that I'll be able to say anything to change your mind. However, again, you just don't know what you are talking about and you need to do more research. You won't, though, because you're the smartest kid in America and your gimmick is to stake out a position and then sit there, forever, while everyone wastes their life arguing with you.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax posted:

loving hell, does fishmech have a job or something?

No.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But that's what I said.

quote:

you can't always get what you want. Or in the case if a fat person wanting to be lean, almost never
And what you said was, 6 out of 7 days, they don't get what they want.

fishmech posted:

I don't know why you find it so hard to believe that an extremely common form of meat is eaten by people who get fat.
Well if you read me as claiming chicken breast inherently makes you slim, then I can understand why you'd say I'm wrong.
Also I'd not be surprised if you did that, because you're really into willful misrepresentation for the sake of "winning an argument".

Noam Chomsky posted:

Well, part of the problem is that the one-size-fits-all eat-flavorless-healthy-stuff diet sets people up for failure.
Actually in an organized setting the research is fairly promising. Sure, it's depressing, but so is a heart attack.

Trent posted:

I generally agree, but it shouldn't be "cheating" it should be built in.
Yeah I'd phrase it like that too. Instead of building a scheme and regularly failing it, just build one that's slightly less awful that you can actually stick to.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

Saying that in order to diet you have to live the life of an ascetic monk is going a little overboard. A lot of the posters in SA's fitness forum are ex-fat kids, and they don't seem to be constantly unhappy about not being able to scarf down junk food all the time like they used to. A lot of them don't live on diets of only chicken breast and broccoli too.

It all depends on your mindset and your relationship with food. Also, the habits of those you surround yourself with count.

Also, I wasn't talking about being an ex-fat-kid. My posts were referring to how things are during the process. It's a lot easier to be more liberal with what you eat after you've lost the 50 or 100 lbs. you need to lose. Management is easier than losing the weight. So, of course they're doing OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

Actually in an organized setting the research is fairly promising. Sure, it's depressing, but so is a heart attack.

That's so far from real life it doesn't even mean anything.

• Locked thread