Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Crude oil is now at $26.26.

And I'm still paying $1.95 for gas, what gives! (VT)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mozi posted:

I'm paying sub-$1.50 for gas

Gives me more money for pizza and beer.

God bless America

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

$1.65 here in MN, and I imagine that it has to do with the vagaries of regional supply and demand (and how much they think they can still gently caress you).

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Its rebounding a bit now but the DOW was off almost 550 points earlier today.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Also California has to bring all oil in by tanker. There are no pipelines that cross the Rockies with refined or unrefined crude. That's why we talk again and again about the danger of oil trains (because trains are the only other way to get it here)

So it's expensive because shipping costs are higher, too.

Easy fix...just start leasing state waters for oil and natural gas production (again). By the time it's online, oil will probably be expensive again.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

$1.65 here in MN, and I imagine that it has to do with the vagaries of regional supply and demand (and how much they think they can still gently caress you).

There is an independent station around here at $1.41. For comparison, $0.89/gallon gas in 1999 would be about $1.28 after adjusting for inflation, so it's not quite at 90s prices yet but it's getting really close.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Midwest has a relative glut, and the oil industry (and energy industry, thanks Enron) knows it can gently caress over CA and every conservative will fall in line in defending those poor companies and blaming CA for (something), as you said.

But yeah CA prices are due to refinery profits going through the roof and both tacit and outright collusion. Months ago there was some article that showed the recent switch between majors getting huge profits from extraction and now from refinery operations as the glut in supply has hurt the extraction profits (immensely).

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

eviltastic posted:

I'm not seeing anything to substantiate prices below a dollar, although there are states that aren't too far off. Lowest I can find on the internet is a report of $1.23 outside of Tulsa, OK.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/76375172-story

Does detroit count? Haha.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The_Franz posted:

There is an independent station around here at $1.41. For comparison, $0.89/gallon gas in 1999 would be about $1.28 after adjusting for inflation, so it's not quite at 90s prices yet but it's getting really close.

The dream of the 90's is alive in Obama's America

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Truly my gas buddy!

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Here comes '08 part two: '16. As sequels go, I think the presidential election this time is much more interesting.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Just need vilerat to be resurrected so we have a good OP if its a true sequel.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Should I feel bad that so many people who work in oil are going out of business/unemployed? Because I really don't.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Should I feel bad that so many people who work in oil are going out of business/unemployed? Because I really don't.

The industry is cyclical. Many will have good paying jobs again in a few years and the majors will be raking in record setting profits again. Just as the price of oil crashed below $2 it'll go back above $4 at some point and probably back below $2 again after that (all inflation adjusted). This poo poo has been happening since oil was found in Pennsylvania in the 19th century.

Below $1.50 is pretty impressive though.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
so why did north dakota's population still grow so much from jul 2014 to jul 2015

is it people coming in to mine the trapped roughnecks in williston for money

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

so why did north dakota's population still grow so much from jul 2014 to jul 2015

It's because Fargo's gentrifying and has a boom'n nightlife scene.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

It's funny that after all the doom and gloom of PEAK OIL we are seeing, quite literally, the cheapest gas prices the country has ever seen in 2016.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

tsa posted:

It's funny that after all the doom and gloom of PEAK OIL we are seeing, quite literally, the cheapest gas prices the country has ever seen in 2016.

TIL oil is no longer a fossil fuel.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

tsa posted:

At some point societies might decide they're tired of the vomit comet and ask to get off.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

They've got the unleaded gasoline bit down pat, unleaded water though....

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

:spergin: Technically it's just being reported by a Detroit-based affiliate; the reported price is from a few stations around Houghton Lake, which is a town nearly 200 miles away from the city of Detroit.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

I worked in commercializing alternative energy for a supermajor for seven years and our entire project and commercialization plants got shitcanned in 2015 along with the several hundred researchers, farmers, engineers, and support staff- but at least you get to be a dick on the internet.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Holy poo poo sub 1$ gas. People in the UK are getting excited because petrol is going below £1 per litre...which is around $5.38 per gallon. It would have been around $7.64 at its highest. I know that US gas prices are crazy low, but i'm still amazed when I see them.

Now its time for someone from Saudi Arabia to brag about how petrol is literally cheaper than water or something.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MikeCrotch posted:

Now its time for someone from Saudi Arabia to brag about how petrol is literally cheaper than water or something.
Well, how cheap can water be in a desert?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

Holy poo poo sub 1$ gas. People in the UK are getting excited because petrol is going below £1 per litre...which is around $5.38 per gallon. It would have been around $7.64 at its highest. I know that US gas prices are crazy low, but i'm still amazed when I see them.

Actually Saudi is having to cut back on their petrol subsidies because the low price of oil is loving their budget.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Actually Saudi is having to cut back on their petrol subsidies because the low price of oil is loving their budget.

Oil subsidies are great
pre:
Country				bbl/day per 1000 people
Kuwait				134	
United Arab Emirates		103
Saudi Arabia			100	
Qatar				85	
Canada				64	
United States			61	
Netherlands			60
Too bad they're not doing anything useful with it.

Some French Guy
Aug 30, 2003
Honestly how much of this is just due to wall street doing it's thing ? Embargo on Iran is done, some investors start selling, price drop, everyone else start selling. Remember the great why is gas so loving expensive post ? It is the best post I ever read on SA. Found a repost here: https://webewizards.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/repost-why-is-gas-so-loving-expensive-the-answer-may-surprise-you/

Does this guy even post anymore ?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Some French Guy posted:

Honestly how much of this is just due to wall street doing it's thing ? Embargo on Iran is done, some investors start selling, price drop, everyone else start selling. Remember the great why is gas so loving expensive post ? It is the best post I ever read on SA. Found a repost here: https://webewizards.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/repost-why-is-gas-so-loving-expensive-the-answer-may-surprise-you/

Well it's not just Wall Street because European and Asian markets are being affected as well. I guess we will see in the next few days if there is a rebound and this was just people panic selling (except in China because lol the Chinese stock market right now)

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Very little frankly. There is way more oil being produced per day than there is demand for it so in this case its mostly supply/demand driven. Oil is very demand driven and is what it is. More oil around does not mean demand increases to compensate so the difference between 2% over supplied and 2% under supplied is massive price swings.

Acelerion fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 21, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Some French Guy posted:

As I said this has happened before and it will happen again (:bsg:). This is kind of the same situation as the 80s oil glut - there was a shortage in the late 70s, more fields came online as speculators drove the price up, then the new production led to a glut which eventually crashed the price which made new fields unprofitable so were shut down which reduced the supply of oil leading to a shortage....

edit: in the case of the 80s it was actually reduced demand not overproduction per se, its the same idea. Swings like this used to be bad enough to cause Texas of all places to assign production and pricing to the government :ussr:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 21, 2016

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Acelerion posted:

Very little frankly. There is way more oil being produced per day than there is demand for it so in this case its mostly supply/demand driven. Oil is very demand driven and is what is is. More oil around does mean demand increases to compensate so the difference between 2% over supplied and 2% under supplied is massive price swings.

I rather like the fact that an 18-month window for a price crash probably caught a lot of speculators off-guard and that there are a bunch of white collar, country club assholes sweating bullets right now.

I know it sucks for the roughnecks and office guys, and I have sympathy for them, but I've got to get my yuks out of this situation somehow.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

MikeCrotch posted:

Well it's not just Wall Street because European and Asian markets are being affected as well. I guess we will see in the next few days if there is a rebound and this was just people panic selling (except in China because lol the Chinese stock market right now)

It's about as clear of a case of increasing supply and decreasing demand as you can have.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Conventional oil peaked in 2005 or something, and outside of america world "total liquid" oil production (includes biofuel and natural gas liquids) has been pretty much flat since then (a little up in a few countries) according to the EIA.

QE probably helped boost oil production quite a bit in the US, cheap loans -> overinvestment -> *QE stops* *China poops everywhere* *Wobble Wobble* -> crashing commodity prices -> lots of bankruptcies and underinvestment -> ???

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

It'll take a couple of years to eat through the oversupply. The U.S. tight oil industry is hosed for the next decade though.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Not totally sure, but I could image that once the infrastructure and leases are in place it's usually still the right business decision to start production even if the oil/gas isn't worth nearly as much.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

KaptainKrunk posted:

It'll take a couple of years to eat through the oversupply. The U.S. tight oil industry is hosed for the next decade though.

The curve / timing can be deceptive, hedges and already drilled wells extended production well through 2015, and there's still some hedges that haven't run out yet (most run out this spring from what I've gathered), so it's not easy to draw any conclusions on how it will look going forward. We do know that discoveries and new projects are way below where they need to be for a stable/gentle curve development.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Don't. I played a flight sim with a guy who worked two weeks on, two weeks off at a Gulf coast oil rig. His paraphrased words when the economy tanked in 07/08 were "I get paid far more than what I would if I did a similar job in another field. Smart oil workers take that extra money and invest or save it, because you never know when the next two year layoff is"

He drove a beat up early 90's Ford and not a brand new King Ranch.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

There is some sympathy to be had for people who've never experienced a boom/bust cycle before, but largely they too spent their money like idiots. The guys that have been doing this poo poo their entire life yet still never saved a dime? gently caress 'em. Guess you should have taken a finance class at the School of Hard Knocks. The owners of small/medium oil field related companies? Zero. With 99.99% certainty these dudes leveraged themselves out the rear end, drew huge salaries that they blew on houses and toys and have precisely no idea why they can't weather the storm.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

I rather like the fact that an 18-month window for a price crash probably caught a lot of speculators off-guard and that there are a bunch of white collar, country club assholes sweating bullets right now.

I know it sucks for the roughnecks and office guys, and I have sympathy for them, but I've got to get my yuks out of this situation somehow.

No doubt. When this initially started people were 'right-sizing' for 40 dollar oil and getting called extreme. Everyone expected things to turn around in 12-18 months.

Now all the hedges have rolled off and the industry is staring down the barrel of another massive round of layoffs. It's a panicky time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I spent some time out in Fort McMurray during the recent boom cycle there, absolutely do not feel any sympathy for most of the workers directly affected. There was rampant drug use, alcoholism and frequent trips to strip clubs. Most guys were acting like the good times would never end and deserve the rude awakening.

I feel for the satellite industries and stuff like the clean up companies but it seemed like most of the rank and file were spending their money foolishly.

• Locked thread