Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Creed from Tales of Hearts R looked like a god drat clown, there are probably worse designs in games I've played but that's the one that immediately comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Creed from Tales of Hearts R looked like a god drat clown, there are probably worse designs in games I've played but that's the one that immediately comes to mind.
creed looks like simon from castlevania judgment

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Terper posted:

Better question: What's the best character design/outfit you've seen in an RPG/JRPG?

I like the Tactics Ogre class art a lot:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I like Tactics Ogre a lot

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really should give Tactics Ogre another shot. I got to the first major decision point with regards to alignment and just sort of lost the will to continue when I looked up which one was "good"/"Law" or whatever.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I really should give Tactics Ogre another shot. I got to the first major decision point with regards to alignment and just sort of lost the will to continue when I looked up which one was "good"/"Law" or whatever.

well that's an important distinction the games deliberately make, the lawful decision isn't necessarily good, same with chaotic and bad

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I definitely got that impression, and I'm sure by the end either or both paths will turn out to be very interesting. But I guess I'm just kind of shallow when it comes to games with a focus on alignment in their stories, I always tend to prefer to pick the good or seemingly heroic route if I can (Neutral in SMT games, Paragon in Mass Effect, etc.). Shades of gray just arrests me with indecision.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Lawful route is actually really cool because the protagonist makes a mistake and then owns up to it and doesn't act like a self-righteous prick about it the rest of the way.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Chaos is undeniably more heroic since it doesn't have you being party to war crimes but Law is a lot more interesting from both a gameplay and story perspective.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Getsuya posted:

Worst character art you say?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Old_American_artwork_for_FFIV

The strategy guides/Nintendo Powers that talk about FF2/4 all used this bizarre American artwork that is just magical. I love how Palom and Porom look like they should be singing 'Follow the Yellow Brick Road' in Wizard of Oz.

That Edward and Yang look cool as gently caress.

EDIT: YO THAT TELLAH.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some of my favorite character designs are actually from Valkyrie Profile.

Not every design is great but they all have great personality.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

RareAcumen posted:

What's the worst character design/outfit you've seen in an RPG/JRPG?

Ashley Riot

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Terper posted:

Better question: What's the best character design/outfit you've seen in an RPG/JRPG?

Ashley Riot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ashley Riot

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

WrightOfWay posted:

Chaos is undeniably more heroic since it doesn't have you being party to war crimes but Law is a lot more interesting from both a gameplay and story perspective.

The PSP version makes Law the undoubtedly superior path since they added a bunch of new content to it.

Anyway I really like Tomomi Kobayashi's Romancing SaGa 2 character design art:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Law gives you Ozma, who is better than most units because of how speed works in that game. The new character is also pretty good.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think you accidentally posted a picture of Guts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

I think you accidentally posted a picture of Guts.

Ain't nothin' accidental about that. Dude is as blatant a Guts homage as they get.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The best route is actually Neutral because you sell out every principle you ever had for expediency and it works, until it spectacularly doesn't.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Knight Blazer is the loving coolest

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Apart from his hair, I think he is ok. Sidney was cool too.

I really like the visuals of everything in this game, actually. I wish they could make an HD remake of it (improving the interface too, hopefully).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I like Logy's jacket a lot.

Comedy option.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 21, 2016

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Man Louis Vuitton is going in some daring new directions.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i don't like this guy's design

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davincie posted:

You're just mad he murdered you.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

I thought he had a beard for the longest time

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Davincie posted:

I love it. I thought it was very cute.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

OneDeadman posted:

Knight Blazer is the loving coolest

That's Ashley Winchester, Ashley Riot is Vagrant Story.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Terper posted:

*edit*

For real though, I love some of the SaGa Frontier 2 designs.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 21, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I agree, I think Kozaki did a great job with Ryoma's design

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

amano locke cole is still the coolest

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

GulagDolls posted:

amano locke cole is still the coolest

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Awesome outfits

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hey, remember that square enix collective that was basically just Gex and poo poo available?

Well uh, apparently something actually cool might come out of it:

Children of Zodiarcs

quote:

The core team at Cardboard Utopia is made up of AAA game industry veterans. Collectively we have worked on games like Eternal Darkness, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, The Warriors, and Far Cry 3. We have been in the trenches and know the rigours of top-quality game development well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1314680699/children-of-zodiarcs-a-new-tactical-jrpg-by-aaa-ve

Gameplay seems basically a mix of FF Tactics/Tactics Ogre and I guess Metal Gear Acid?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Apart from his hair, I think he is ok. Sidney was cool too.

I really like the visuals of everything in this game, actually. I wish they could make an HD remake of it (improving the interface too, hopefully).

Assless chaps

MMania
May 7, 2008

bloodychill posted:

Getting over leveled because I enjoy exploring a game world and then get bored because it's too easy is pretty much the story of every RPG I play. Are there any games that deal with this well? Recently Xenoblade CX did a great job solving the problem by always having challenges available regardless of level but I'm pretty much done with it.

Chrono Cross had an extremely cool leveling system, basically you got "big stars" for defeating plot-relevant bosses which massively increased the stats of your roster and increased their spell slots. You pick up party members constantly and this way they were never over- or under-leveled compared to the guys you had been using the whole game. For the guys you actually played with, you would occasionally gain "little stars" from fighting random encounters, which would give you a couple of stat points but nothing big. Random encounters were represented by representative sprites on the maps and could be avoided for the most part. You have a limited number of little stars you can get per "big star," so all of the bosses were extremely well tuned.

Unfortunately there were a lot of questionable design choices and, in the end, it did not compare favorably to Chrono Trigger. What a shame, the core combat mechanics and music were easily 10/10 but they really dropped the ball with everything else.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

party members could be underleveled. after enough random battles (not that many) you would gain one "big" level up. this reset after each boss fight. people not in your party didn't get any of this poo poo. at the end of the game someone could be like, 50% less powerful.

e:i was curious and looked it up and it's actually a bit more complicated than this. if characters miss out on these tiny levels, if you put them in your party and fight with them they will get BIGGER tiny level ups to compensate. theoretically someone you haven't used will get enough stat ups to become how strong they would have been had you been using them in every battle. it doesn't seem like it's well-documented how many levels you need to make up for missed stat-gains tho. so if you're at star level 90 or whatever someone might not be able to catch up.

macha is very powerful.

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 21, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

MMania posted:

Unfortunately there were a lot of questionable design choices and, in the end, it did not compare favorably to Chrono Trigger. What a shame, the core combat mechanics and music were easily 10/10 but they really dropped the ball with everything else.

The core combat mechanics were really bad though. It's pretty much hit weak attacks to build up element stock and accuracy, then finish with either a big hit or a spell, or just sit on your stock to try and get your next turn slightly faster, and it's not like you could do much else because all you can do in combat is physical attacks, skills and/or magic spells that will just eat up your turn, or just run. On top of that, the way elements work exists solely to screw over the player, with it's one use per element per battle outside of a couple of fringe cases and the ones that are effectively items. Then there's the whole elemental field, which is one of those things that are nice in theory but didn't really contribute much to the game beyond allowing certain bosses to straight up murder you, frustration at getting your attempts at summons for upgrade bits hosed over or just getting shat on by the final boss's puzzle gimmick. I also remember hearing that having a character dead at the end of a star up battle pretty much screws them out of a lot of growth, which is never a good thing.

Pretty much the best thing you can say about Chrono Cross is that it looks pretty compared to it's contemporaries and it's got a good soundtrack 90% of the time.

Forest Thief Pud fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 22, 2016