Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Hmmm yes take quotes without any context

The person I was replying to was literally saying these guys should be shot because he didnt think they were standing for a brighter future. If thats ok then the fbi massacring every future left wing protest is also ok cause right wing people will disagree.

My book on the table 2-3m from any food or cages sure probably smelt more like food than the cages.

You're such a bad poster that theflyingorc is trying to talk you down, and s/he seems like the reasonable one. Just think about that for a few minutes.

Your contributions are utterly worthless and without merit, to the point that that literal archivists who work with these sorts of things have come into the thread and told you that you are wrong, and all you can do is mash your face against the keyboard talking about 'one time I had a rat chew up a novel that was sitting next to a bird cage and another time some old records got chewed up by rats." The boxes aren't chewed, the boxes have been there for a while, the very fact that the boxes and bags are intact despite potentially having some rat poop near/on them shows that the rats are uninterested. Please, just take like 12 seconds and think through what you're writing before deciding to throw it out for everyone to see. The last time you came into the thread you were whining that someone posted a screencapture of a public facebook page without blanking names of people who decided to post their opinions to the public. Do you even consider things like 'context' or 'facts' when deciding to post, or are you just using a collection of half remembered anecdotes and gut feelings in order to try and convince people that you're right for reasons?

edit: Uh, accidental page snipe. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Hmmm yes take quotes without any context

My point is that I can't believe someone would believe a single thing they see in one of these propaganda videos unless they were already sympathetic to the cause.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

I mean my photo albums and styofoam boxes probably didnt smell like food but that didnt stop them building a nest out of them. It also didnt stop them chewing up one of my course novels that I accidentally left near my bird cages when I was in highschool. Mice and rats chew things and I'm sure the tribe would appreciate finding their stuff had been a rodent nest since the 80s.

Speaking as someone who actually knows a few things about animal behavior, their basic drive is going to consist of a few things:

A) Food
B) Shelter
C) Mates

Can you explain to me why a rodent is going to waste energy wantonly destroying artifacts when they are most likely going to confer none of those things?

From a food perspective, it is unlikely that they are storing or have stored food anywhere near that storage area.

From a shelter perspective, it is unlikely they are going to build a nest in an artifact box because they are neither easily accessed (being on shelves from what i could see) and there is hardly a need for serious shelter when you're already in a storage area with a stable climate.

For obvious reasons, theyre unlikely to find mates in an artifact box.

Now to speak from personal experience, I have spent months living in a mouse-infested cabin on a field site, and have never once had the issue of them chewing through all of my belongings. Chewing through food containers? Yes. Everything else, no. This is probably because they have well-attuned noses and don't feel the need to waste energy destroying things for no reason.

So, I would like your theory on why the rodents that live down there would destroy the artifacts. Is it just in their nature? Do they like destroying things for fun?

Keeping in mind that you would think the Paiute tribe would be up in arms if there was real danger here.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
they do have to chew stuff to keep their teeth from overgrowing and killing them, but that doesn't inherently mean they're loving up stuff on shelves

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
A storage room woild be relatively dry and warm and also quiet, and is near a building where food is stored. Just like the boxes in my shed were. The dudes said they want to speak to the tribe and deal with them properly, remember when I started this with the big bold capitalised "if" they are telling the truth?

E: All that has to happen is for 1 of the leaders to realise that this artifact thing could actually get them a decent amount of positive press if they handle it right.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 21, 2016

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

A storage room woild be relatively dry and warm and also quiet, and is near a building where food is stored. Just like the boxes in my shed were. The dudes said they want to speak to the tribe and deal with them properly, remember when I started this with the big bold capitalised "if" they are telling the truth?

This thread is like a retarded episode of Wild Kingdom.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No, your boxes were covered in bird poo poo. These boxes are now covered in sov-cit poo poo which is apparently super appealing to you as you're just gobbling it up.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I do like that you guys are arguing that the militia saying they want to bring the tribe in and discuss how to properly handle and protect the artifacts isnt a good thing.

No one is saying that, you massive dumbass. People are saying that them pulling the artifacts out of storage is bad. Besides that, though, the government was already working with the tribe to manage these things, until these assholes hosed it up. Their actions here are a net negative; nothing they've done that could be argued as good wasn't already happening, and they're making things far worse in multiple ways.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

I do like that you guys are arguing that the militia saying they want to bring the tribe in and discuss how to properly handle and protect the artifacts isnt a good thing. Bad people can accidentally do good you know.

There's a very, very good chance that the tribe has already discussed this with local government representatives?

Captain Monkey posted:

You're such a bad poster that theflyingorc is trying to talk you down, and s/he seems like the reasonable one. Just think about that for a few minutes.
You may note that my dumb contribution was immediately followed by my acknowledgement that it was a dumb tangent and that further discussion was bad for the thread. Might I recommend that A SAUCY BRATWURST do the same in this current thread crisis?

edit:

Roland Jones posted:

No one is saying that, you massive dumbass. People are saying that them pulling the artifacts out of storage is bad. Besides that, though, the government was already working with the tribe to manage these things, until these assholes hosed it up. Their actions here are a net negative; nothing they've done that could be argued as good wasn't already happening, and they're making things far worse in multiple ways.
IN FACT this issue is a microcosm of everything they're doing wrong here. They see a "problem" without any understanding of the wider issues and declare that they're going to fix it because THEY ARE THE GOOD GUYS

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 21, 2016

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

And this seriously is propaganda. This is the video in question, posted soon after Ammon was quoted as saying that the Paiutes had "lost their claim to the land." The timing isn't a coincidence. Lavoy tries to make a big deal out of the fact that the artifacts have been sitting in the refuge basement for years, as though the BLM has been hiding the artifacts from the tribe - and then invites them to send a "liaison" to "reclaim" the artifacts, and also discuss any "claims that they may have upon the lands."

As far as evidence of damage, all they do is point to one box and claim that there's a rat nest in it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Can we go back to the stupid poo poo the protesters are doing and Pete is saying instead of arguing about storage techniques for ancient artifacts that are probably being exaggerated and not important in the grand scheme of what the poo poo is happening here and the implications it carries for future law enforcement?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Roland Jones posted:

All we've seen is them pick a bag up from the top of a disorganised box and read the label, and then say they want to do this right. All it takes is someone in charge to realise this is a perfect press opportunity and something good will happen here.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

No Butt Stuff posted:

Can we go back to the stupid poo poo the protesters are doing and Pete is saying instead of arguing about storage techniques for ancient artifacts that are probably being exaggerated and not important in the grand scheme of what the poo poo is happening here and the implications it carries for future law enforcement?

Very little is happening. Pete's no longer gonna have a daily stream, so that's hurting info streams. the only thing updating regularly is OregonLive.com, and that's like 2 articles a day

If you want some Petechat, he says that "it's not an insurrection if it's for a just cause"

because, as you know, no previous insurrection thought their cause was just

edit: if anyone knows any other good sources, let the thread know. I don't have much other than OregonLive and JJ McNab's twitter feed

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
$5 says the ancient artifacts they found are just owl poo poo samples so they can track food chain sustainability.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

All we've seen is them pick a bag up from the top of a disorganised box and read the label, and then say they want to do this right. All it takes is someone in charge to realise this is a perfect press opportunity and something good will happen here.

There is absolutely no way that the Paiutes are going to cooperate with them. What are you expecting? The same people who've been calling for them to leave since day one are going to have a change of heart and decide that the people plowing roads through their ancestral land are the Good Guys?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

They say that everything they're doing is an attempt "to do this right".

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

As a Millennial I posted:

And this seriously is propaganda. This is the video in question, posted soon after Ammon was quoted as saying that the Paiutes had "lost their claim to the land." The timing isn't a coincidence. Lavoy tries to make a big deal out of the fact that the artifacts have been sitting in the refuge basement for years, as though the BLM has been hiding the artifacts from the tribe - and then invites them to send a "liaison" to "reclaim" the artifacts, and also discuss any "claims that they may have upon the lands."

As far as evidence of damage, all they do is point to one box and claim that there's a rat nest in it.

Am I a bad person for wanting their liasons to show up with their constitutionally protected guns and for the discussion to entirely consist of :frogout:?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

There is absolutely no way that the Paiutes are going to cooperate with them. What are you expecting? The same people who've been calling for them to leave since day one are going to have a change of heart and decide that the people plowing roads through their ancestral land are the Good Guys?

"Thank you for getting our things out of rat poop. Now continue not being completely poo poo and leave"

Can i just empty quote how this all started? You dudes are literally v mad that I said the artifacts potentially getting stored better is a good thing IF they are honest. Implying i dont think they will be but they might.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
On my phone so I'm not going to into detail about Archaeologist/Native relations and NAGPRA (Discussion/Debate on this would be its own thread itself) but the local Tribe would have had a say in most if not all of the finds and repatriation of anything will be completely hosed if the militia moves poo poo in and out of boxes and mixes poo poo up. If that happens and the Tribe finds out I expect a huge lawsuit. They (reasonable so) take that poo poo seriously.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
the gentlemen who do not recognize the federal government having any authority and are running around blowing on shofars are probably going to take an even keel in regards to artifact preservation, i don't know why this is hard to understand

edit: Pete says that 50% of the media out to watch them are CIA or FBI

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

"Thank you for getting our things out of rat poop. Now continue not being completely poo poo and leave"

Can i just empty quote how this all started? You dudes are literally v mad that I said the artifacts potentially getting stored better is a good thing IF they are honest. Implying i dont think they will be but they might.

"Don't touch our poo poo. We know exactly where our poo poo is. If we had a problem with how it was stored we'd have done something about it already."

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You're concern trolling the concern trolling. They have no right to be there. They claim to be cultural guardians for the very people they have pissed off by going through literal poo poo that isn't theirs, claiming land that isn't theirs, destroying property that isn't theirs, threaten people with violence, made wild insane statements and you think this is a Good PR Opportunity. Piss off.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

TheQat posted:

they do have to chew stuff to keep their teeth from overgrowing and killing them, but that doesn't inherently mean they're loving up stuff on shelves

True, though this is usually accomplished through eating plant material, not attempting to chew on rocks.

E: All that has to happen is for 1 of the leaders to realise that this artifact thing could actually get them a decent amount of positive press if they handle it right.

I don't think you understand what you're talking about, and I don't see why you need to spin everything into a defense of this militia. You've been doing it since the thread began, and you taking them at their word is ridiculous.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

oohhboy posted:

You're concern trolling the concern trolling. They have no right to be there. They claim to be cultural guardians for the very people they have pissed off by going through literal poo poo that isn't theirs, claiming land that isn't theirs, destroying property that isn't theirs, threaten people with violence, made wild insane statements and you think this is a Good PR Opportunity. Piss off.

hey, I broke into your house, went through your files, and i just want you to know that you accidentally put your 2013 tax returns into the wrong folder. i'm a hero

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Perfectly Safe posted:

The vast majority of the world's museum pieces are in storage most of the time. If you've got 50 bronze age arrowheads (for example) then you display the three best ones. You might lend the others out to a specific exhibition on occasion. You might lend them to someone doing research. The rest of the time, they'll be in storage. The alternative is throwing them out. The key thing is that they're preserved, not that they're used to entertain people. I also imagine that there's a good reason why these things specifically are kept there and not elsewhere.

Also, these guys transparently don't give two shits about this stuff and are only using it as an excuse to criticise the government.
Yeah a Museum is basically an iceberg where most of what you see is actually a really small amount of what they have. The Carnegie Museum from my experience volunteering there has a whole other museum below it in storage.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Perfectly Safe posted:

I hear that, behind closed doors, they demanded that the governor keep her big mouth shut.

Also that, while the governor, along with a number of other public officials, had privately agreed to not talk to the press in an effort to not put undue pressure on a delicate situation, she went ahead and made a public statement anyway.

Also that the governor defied the feds and refused to remain silent about the standoff.

Defied? What authority do they have over her?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Do you also feel that, while their methods are a little overzealous, it's good that they brought attention to federal overreach and the injustice brought against the Hammonds?

There wasn't federal overreact and injustice done to the Hammonds. A judge gave an illegally short sentence to the Hammonds and the feds had to step in and actually enforce the law that the judge ignored. The only injustice done to the Hammonds is that the Feds don't put them on a pedestal because they're ranchers. Enforcing a minimum sentence is not an injustice (let's not get in to a mandatory minimum debate derail). There is no credible evidence of the Hammonds being treated unjustly and their biggest support is from a family (and their supporters) who outright refuse to pay grazing fees they owe and got in an armed standoff with the government.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

There wasn't federal overreact and injustice done to the Hammonds. A judge gave an illegally short sentence to the Hammonds and the feds had to step in and actually enforce the law that the judge ignored. The only injustice done to the Hammonds is that the Feds don't put them on a pedestal because they're ranchers. Enforcing a minimum sentence is not an injustice (let's not get in to a mandatory minimum debate derail). There is no credible evidence of the Hammonds being treated unjustly and their biggest support is from a family (and their supporters) who outright refuse to pay grazing fees they owe and got in an armed standoff with the government.

You should probably catch up on the thread

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
So, it's been two and a half weeks. Off the top of my head, we've had:

quote:

Armed occupation of a federal site
Open threats to law enforcement
Stealing federal vehicles and equipment
Destruction of cameras on site
Carving of dirt paths into a wildlife refuge
Armed intimidation and harassment of locals
Threats to hang the sheriff after some kind of zany kangaroo court
Repeated disregard for local pleas to leave
A possible child abduction from CPS custody
A developing situation regarding potential desecration of Native American artifacts
An open plea from the governor of Oregon for the FBI to do literally anything

But none of these things taken individually has really been enough to spur intervention by law enforcement, so we keep getting this steady stream of bullshit instead.

Is this really the most effective method we can think of to deal with these situations? Because if so, then I have to say this tactic of occupation that the Bundys have come up with is a loving brilliant protest innovation. Nobody stopped them in Nevada, nobody is stopping them here, and nobody arrested them in the interim. The FBI is terrified of antagonizing right wing militias and stirring political reprisal. The Bundys have free media access for their messages because their whole shindig is a complete circus, and so it's a magnet for attention.

Our only blessing here is that Bundy and Co. are Alex Jones-ian, sovcit crazies instead of some other less openly ridiculous right-wing group, whose message might likely be taken much more seriously by a certain deranged demographic in this fine country. We can laugh and laugh at Bundy and his loony gang doing and saying stupid poo poo all day, but it appears that, despite their warped ideology, they're on to a winning strategy here.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Lotka Volterra posted:

True, though this is usually accomplished through eating plant material, not attempting to chew on rocks.

I don't think you understand what you're talking about, and I don't see why you need to spin everything into a defense of this militia. You've been doing it since the thread began, and you taking them at their word is ridiculous.

So I can empty quote where I said if in big bold capitals if followed by they are honest now right?

Sorry for saying "dont be a psycopath redneck" and then "people who aren't calling for a siege and slaughter arent racist" I guess. I never supported them, I approached the issue like an adult.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ dude, loving stop

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Our only blessing here is that Bundy and Co. are Alex Jones-ian, sovcit crazies instead of some other less openly ridiculous right-wing group, whose message might likely be taken much more seriously by a certain deranged demographic in this fine country. We can laugh and laugh at Bundy and his loony gang doing and saying stupid poo poo all day, but it appears that, despite their warped ideology, they're on to a winning strategy here.

That's what gets me when people take anything they say at face value. These people are quite clearly unhinged, as are their supporters. All it takes is two minutes watching their live feed chat to see this. Half these people are seriously delusional and get all of their information from YouTube videos that rarely show what they claim but instead feature a paranoid schizophrenic screaming about chem trails and government plots to take down the working man.

Hell, ask them to source any of their bullshit claims and you're, at best, going to receive one such video in response, if you don't instead get accusations of being a FBI plant. These people seriously believe that studies exist that secretly show the refuge is bad for wildlife (lol) but when asked they never can find the time to showcase it.

So when the same people claim there are rats everywhere and the artifacts have nests in them but don't actually show evidence, it's amazing that some people are still roped in.

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 21, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Lotka Volterra posted:

Speaking as someone who actually knows a few things about animal behavior, their basic drive is going to consist of a few things:

A) Food
B) Shelter
C) Mates

Can you explain to me why a rodent is going to waste energy wantonly destroying artifacts when they are most likely going to confer none of those things?

From a food perspective, it is unlikely that they are storing or have stored food anywhere near that storage area.

From a shelter perspective, it is unlikely they are going to build a nest in an artifact box because they are neither easily accessed (being on shelves from what i could see) and there is hardly a need for serious shelter when you're already in a storage area with a stable climate.

For obvious reasons, theyre unlikely to find mates in an artifact box.

Now to speak from personal experience, I have spent months living in a mouse-infested cabin on a field site, and have never once had the issue of them chewing through all of my belongings. Chewing through food containers? Yes. Everything else, no. This is probably because they have well-attuned noses and don't feel the need to waste energy destroying things for no reason.

So, I would like your theory on why the rodents that live down there would destroy the artifacts. Is it just in their nature? Do they like destroying things for fun?

Keeping in mind that you would think the Paiute tribe would be up in arms if there was real danger here.

Mice and rats in a residence will eat plastic even if the contents aren't edible because they don't give a gently caress. Given enough time they will strip the plastic sheathing off of electrical wires even though they don't care to eat the delicious delicious copper lying inside.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Dale Gribble is coming from inside the thread.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Say what you want about spoiled white manbabies with masculinity issues, they keep the toy trains running on time.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Aesop Poprock posted:

Jesus Christ dude, loving stop

"I don't actually have anything to say but I JUST gotta"

McDowell posted:

The Dale Gribble is coming from inside the thread.

Look at all the sovcit/conspiracy crap Ive posted:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

DeathSandwich posted:

Mice and rats in a residence will eat plastic even if the contents aren't edible because they don't give a gently caress. Given enough time they will strip the plastic sheathing off of electrical wires even though they don't care to eat the delicious delicious copper lying inside.

Animals typically don't do things "just because" and that's an incredibly stupid position to take.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Lotka Volterra posted:

Animals typically don't do things "just because" and that's an incredibly stupid position to take.

Your dp is of a bird, a type of animal known for having a tonne of species doing things specifically to entertain themselves. The rats probably have a reason for chewing wire but you are flat wrong that animals only act to survive.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I love eating gerbster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lotka Volterra posted:

Maybe the rats are SovCits too! Did you even think of that possibility?

• Locked thread