Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jarl posted:

Hmm, I guess he kinda is then although I don't know about antisocial.
In my mind he just does what needs to be done on a drop of a hat. He has no problem with authority if it is deserved, and he recognize and respect people for their skills.

Also I suspect he isn't a man for prolonged grudges.

I don't think he has any grudges at all. He has a VERY binary value system.

You are a friend or not a friend.

You are a threat or you are not a threat.

He doesn't even seem to bothered about Holden being the one to log the mayday. He is basically saying my actions are consequences of your decision. It is what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You guys make good points and now I am convinced that this episode was Good.

Also I really like the MCRN designs and paint scheme.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The episode did a lot to clarify Holden's character while putting him in a bad light, which was a gutsy writing choice. He'd rather be Right than successful. As a result he's trustworthy and reliable and probably a great shipmate on the Cant. Now that life has forced them to be fugitive investigator operatives dealing with a system-wide conspiracy they don't understand, he's wildly out of his element, and he's looking for moral clarity when everyone around him would prefer to be free and unharmed. He's so wrapped up in his own BS that he looks at Amos, who is busy being ready to kill or die to keep his shipmates out of jail, and sees only a rabid dog. I sense a comeuppance in the near future.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Holden is trying to do the right thing in a universe which doesn't support the concept.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Amos is now my favorite character. Dude has it all figured out and no one is on his level right now.

Was spy-guy trying to get a clip of Holden saying he would kill him? I couldn't figure out that last scene.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked how Expanse Jensen was augmented.

He didn't ask to be a corporate spy on Tycho

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

You guys make good points and now I am convinced that this episode was Good.

Also I really like the MCRN designs and paint scheme.

I love the MCRN stuff too but I gotta laugh at how every single sci fi universe that has people on Mars depicts those people as using red/orange as their primary colour for everything

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I love the MCRN stuff too but I gotta laugh at how every single sci fi universe that has people on Mars depicts those people as using red/orange as their primary colour for everything

What other symbolism should they use?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Watching that episode again and Shawn Doyle's delivery at the end about Holden on his way to Eros was really really good as well. Everyone is such a great actor, goddamn

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
All I'm saying is that if you're from a planet where everything is red all the time, would you really go out of your way to make your stuff red too

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I am so unhappy that this season is going end where it probably will. At least Vikings will start back up around that time.

I am really surprised by how much I like the casting, especially Amos.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off
Hey, remember back on page 3 or so, where we were talking about other sci-fi/noirish/cyberpunk properties we'd like to see made, and someone brought up Altered Carbon?

http://deadline.com/2016/01/altered-carbon-drama-series-laeta-kalogridis-netflix-skydance-1201684680/

Totally happening, and with Netflix for 10 episodes, so we also will not have to suffer through Recurrent Episodic Exposition Disease, where people constantly remind the viewer what the plot is...

I'm hyped. As antiheroes with good causes, violent tendencies and a screaming void for a soul go, Kovacs is my favorite. Netflix and a long running series, not a movie, could actually do the concept justice, maybe even cover all three books. No word yet from Morgan if he's involved or consulting, but I hope so.

Sorry for not making another thread, but besides that press release, there's no news, so I went back to the place I had seen someone mention it in December.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tucked-In T-Shirt posted:

Was spy-guy trying to get a clip of Holden saying he would kill him? I couldn't figure out that last scene.

I thought that was just emphasizing how much of a two-faced untrustable poo poo he is. He's in the middle of his impassioned speech about being a human being who just wants to help them survive while a) he's not entirely human and b) if he had a wireless signal he'd be doing everything he could to undermine the crew and put himself in a good position.

quote:

Hey, remember back on page 3 or so, where we were talking about other sci-fi/noirish/cyberpunk properties we'd like to see made, and someone brought up Altered Carbon?

I wonder if they'll include the bit where (Edit: eh, not going to spoilertalk an unrelated book series here). Just how they handle different bodies will be interesting too. A noir voiceover to establish that it's still 'ol Kovacs in there? Give people the same eyes or some other visual cue?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 22, 2016

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Finally got caught up with this! The series didn't click for me at first, but I really recommend watching it with the companion videos on syfy .

I started watching them to see how they filmed the zero gravity scenes, but there's lot's of little facts about the world and the characters that I hadn't even considered; like how the people in the asteroid belt have tattoos and talk with exaggerated hand gestures because the first suits had bad communications gear and burned people if they spent too much time in them ,and it just became part of their culture.

They really went out of the way to make Earth , Mars and the outer planets unique.

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 22, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Amos is now my favorite character. Dude has it all figured out and no one is on his level right now.

Me neither. It seemed like it was supposed to be poignant because of how drawn out it was while his eye is all "can't find wifi signal."

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Also doesn't hurt that the actor who plays him is hunk.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

bloodychill posted:

Me neither. It seemed like it was supposed to be poignant because of how drawn out it was while his eye is all "can't find wifi signal."

I think it was more to make clear to the viewer that he's not to be trusted and will be looking for opportunities to get back on line with the UN and rat out Holden et al.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Funny you should mention King considering it took him like 30 years to put out the seven books in the Dark Tower. Largely for the same reason too, just getting sick of the series.

Well yeah, but he's probably averaged like 1.5 books a year in that time period, if not more. Koontz may be a more apt guy to hold up as a non-stop writing engine though.

Really digging this show still.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Aquarium Gravel posted:

http://deadline.com/2016/01/altered-carbon-drama-series-laeta-kalogridis-netflix-skydance-1201684680/

Totally happening, and with Netflix for 10 episodes, so we also will not have to suffer through Recurrent Episodic Exposition Disease, where people constantly remind the viewer what the plot is...

I'm hyped. As antiheroes with good causes, violent tendencies and a screaming void for a soul go, Kovacs is my favorite. Netflix and a long running series, not a movie, could actually do the concept justice, maybe even cover all three books. No word yet from Morgan if he's involved or consulting, but I hope so.

Sorry for not making another thread, but besides that press release, there's no news, so I went back to the place I had seen someone mention it in December.

I am unreasonably delighted about this, Altered Carbon is fantastic

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Avasarala owned the episode especially the costume.

I like how she tried the intimidation approach and realized it wasn't working well with Holden's mom. She then realized a more emotional appeal would be the better approach.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Aquarium Gravel posted:

Graphic sexual exploitation was such a big part of the novel. I wonder how Netflix will handle it.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

gohmak posted:

Graphic sexual exploitation was such a big part of the novel. I wonder how Netflix will handle it.

Possibly with the portrayal of graphic sexual exploitation. It'll either be done well and compelling or it will be hilariously bad.

You're right though, the plot of the book is all sex and power and the interplay thereof. It could be Netflix showing that they're willing to go quite dark and mature with their themes. Altered Carbon is a dystopian twist on a noir defective novel, and it's not a plot that can be solved in a weekly episode. Netflix does continuity within a series well enough that I think they could solve the Bancroft case in ten episodes...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

gohmak posted:

Did you watch Jessica Jones?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Please let that have a season 2 and 3. Season 3 should have Masamune Shirow design the mecha that DeCom fight on Harlan's World.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

etalian posted:

Avasarala owned the episode especially the costume.

I like how she tried the intimidation approach and realized it wasn't working well with Holden's mom. She then realized a more emotional appeal would be the better approach.

She was so good in this episode. I feel bad for the guy that called the dogs on Holden, though. Avasarala is going to grind him into chum when his plan goes to poo poo.

From the Expanse's Twitter feed comes this behind-the-scenes tidbit:
https://twitter.com/whiteshoes082/status/689512730613514246

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Holden and Miller are sort of in similar in that they are both obsessed with pursuing lost causes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

What other symbolism should they use?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I really liked the turn around this, especially the "good, I was running out of nice things to say"

Also nice to see the crew do stuff instead of having stuff happen.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I really liked the turn around this, especially the "good, I was running out of nice things to say"

Also nice to see the crew do stuff instead of having stuff happen.

It was nice seeing Amos finally unleash a can of whoop rear end on someone

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Just got caught up since episode 4 and honestly the show is getting better every episode.

I am however concerned they are only doing the first half of the first book as season one. I'm not sure the plot will move fast enough to keep people interested in season 2.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I respect the hell out of the way the show demands some thought from the viewer. It does a lot of Show, Not Tell. Lopez takes a pill, his pupils get big, that's all you really need to be shown for his interrogation scenes to work. The Belter gibberish is not subtitled with translations. Spaceships fly from point A to B and you're shown a turnover maneuver without a bunch of explanation of acceleration and deceleration and whatever. Kenzo rigs the airlock door to blow Amos (and himself I guess) out when Amos comes to kill him. Words aren't spackled all over this and I really appreciate that. Film makers don't need to make something interesting with a bunch of exposition if the basic thing itself is interesting.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tighclops posted:

All I'm saying is that if you're from a planet where everything is red all the time, would you really go out of your way to make your stuff red too

Does it annoy you that Earth-based troops use green, brown, and white camouflage, depending on the environment?

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Just finished my reread of the published books, and drat I hope they're able to get all the way through it, and I can't wait for the next one in June.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's nice that Expanse is plotted so strongly, they shouldn't end up like whatever bullshit RD Moore dreams up while getting hammered on weekends.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

insider posted:

Just got caught up since episode 4 and honestly the show is getting better every episode.

I am however concerned they are only doing the first half of the first book as season one. I'm not sure the plot will move fast enough to keep people interested in season 2.

I have seen speculation (or maybe it was confirmed, dunno) that they would bring book 2 into the plot during S2. Seems pretty likely since I agree that the back half of book 1 stretched to 13 episodes wouldn't work very well.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Tortolia posted:

I have seen speculation (or maybe it was confirmed, dunno) that they would bring book 2 into the plot during S2. Seems pretty likely since I agree that the back half of book 1 stretched to 13 episodes wouldn't work very well.

Since they have already pulled in plot elements from book 5 and the short stories I think that that is a certainty. They have already introduced Chrisjen Avasarala earlier. I also suspect that they might compress the events at the end of book one down quite a bit for the show. I don't think they will be back at Tyco until after Eros has crashed into Venus. I also really hope the prologue from book 2 is used as an "after credits scene" for season 1.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

HERAK posted:

Since they have already pulled in plot elements from book 5 and the short stories I think that that is a certainty. They have already introduced Chrisjen Avasarala earlier. I also suspect that they might compress the events at the end of book one down quite a bit for the show. I don't think they will be back at Tyco until after Eros has crashed into Venus. I also really hope the prologue from book 2 is used as an "after credits scene" for season 1.

Cast and writers have already more or less confirmed Bobbie in season 2 on twitter, so I wouldn't be surprised at all.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

It's nice that Expanse is plotted so strongly, they shouldn't end up like whatever bullshit RD Moore dreams up while getting hammered on weekends.

Most of the trouble with BSG was due to the writers strike happening in later seasons and also how was surprised the show as able to get more seasons.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Does it annoy you that Earth-based troops use green, brown, and white camouflage, depending on the environment?

(Before I get jumped on this isn't a problem I have with this show or anything else that comes to mind, I just found it a funny affectation)

If they were going for camo everybody's ships would be painted black like the stealth cruiser. What you're talking about isn't really the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

The MCRN logo is like if the Italian Navy had a pizza on theirs. In other words, its great.

• Locked thread