Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I begrudgingly support the Final Fantasy multiverse theory because Gilgamesh is a cooler dude than any FF PC and I like to believe he's always 5 minutes away from taking over any of the games but just doesn't cause all he cares about is swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

But either way, what's the functional difference between the game worlds being totally unrelated and one guy being able to travel between them, having to hop between universes to do so? That Gilgamesh has to travel through the void only reinforces the seperation between them as far as I'm concerned. :shrug:

E:VVV I wasn't responding to anyone in particular, and certainly not bashing you. :) I think a lot of last page was just poking fun at the FFX writer's silly Ultimania poo poo that insists X-2's Shinra invented space travel and founded FF7's world. Note that the same guy wrote the adventures of Tidus and the blitzbomb.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 21, 2016

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

But either way, what's the functional difference between the game worlds being totally unrelated and one guy being able to travel between them, having to hop between universes to do so? That Gilgamesh has to travel through the void only reinforces the seperation between them as far as I'm concerned. :shrug:

Exactly, there's no functional difference but you can say they're linked and it's more fun that way, why am I getting a beating for this

Edit: ^^^ not you, just in general!

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 21, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
"You can't not prove Orience is on the other side of Pulse" is uncomfortably close to the sort of thing that would be said by people who overlay maps from different games over each other because they can't stand the idea that their favorite series is in discrete chunks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Every Final Fantasy is canonically on another world.

It is just that The Creator destroyed most of those worlds.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

ImpAtom posted:

Every Final Fantasy is canonically on another world.

It is just that The Creator destroyed most of those worlds.

The thought that FFVIII's world might be a smoldering rock somewhere out in space is the only thing that makes TAY worthwhile.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

zedprime posted:

"You can't not prove Orience is on the other side of Pulse" is uncomfortably close to the sort of thing that would be said by people who overlay maps from different games over each other because they can't stand the idea that their favorite series is in discrete chunks.

Why yes I do enjoy the idea that FF8 is the future of FF3 because the map is similar and the deity is called Hyne

However

"You can't prove that the Pulse fal'Cie trying to open Etro's gate in Type-0 isn't a different Pulse, different Etro, different gate to FF13" strikes me as just as much of a stretch, if not more.

If FF3 and FF8 were announced at the same time under some umbrella mythology I might actually take that map overlay theory seriously. But FNC is obviously more strongly interconnected than the rest of the series.

Edit: vvv yes

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 21, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's the same Pulse and the same Etro. It's just not the same world. Orience is literally a pocket universe created as an experiment by Pulse's servants to open Etro's Gate.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The mistake everyone here is making is trying to make any semblance of sense out of the FNC clusterfuck. It's a massive tangle of Christmas lights that you aren't going to unravel in this lifetime.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've got a good feeling FF15 is going to blow this thing wide open once and for all.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

zedprime posted:

I begrudgingly support the Final Fantasy multiverse theory because Gilgamesh is a cooler dude than any FF PC and I like to believe he's always 5 minutes away from taking over any of the games but just doesn't cause all he cares about is swords.

Yeah Greg needs to be in every game, agreed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

zedprime posted:

I've got a good feeling FF15 is going to blow this thing wide open once and for all.

FF15 is just going to ignore all of it and put a boys band on a car trip. I thought you have been paying attention.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Kefka is the worst, and that's why he's also the best. I like how his introductory scene is him stopping halfway through the desert to have his lackeys get the sand out of his boots, laughing at them for doing it, and then calling them idiots.

He's introduced before that. You first see him putting the mind control circlet on Terra and her subsequent murdering of soldiers. :eng101:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Saoshyant posted:

FF15 is just going to ignore all of it and put a boys band on a car trip. I thought you have been paying attention.
My good feeling is that FNC will be retconned to being about taking a camping trip with your bros.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

zedprime posted:

Oh it's going to blow alright

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Legin Noslen posted:

Actually Final Fantasy 7 is the future of Final Fantasy X-2 because of Shinra and and and-

So why are there no Unsent in VII? Sephiroth came back once in AC, but through some guy using Jenova to turn into him.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Spira is a different planet entirely from Gaia, apparently.
I think Sephiroth came back because by that point he and Jenova were basically the same entity and Jenova's cells survived through geostigma. Or something. AC was really dumb.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!
Despite its NA release in five days, I have been unable to find almost anything of substance on the gameplay of FF Explorers. Where are all the reviews?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vernatio posted:

Despite its NA release in five days, I have been unable to find almost anything of substance on the gameplay of FF Explorers. Where are all the reviews?

Under media gag orders, I would imagine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Spira is a different planet entirely from Gaia, apparently.
I think Sephiroth came back because by that point he and Jenova were basically the same entity and Jenova's cells survived through geostigma. Or something. AC was really dumb.

Advent Children needs to be flung into the same void as all the Star Wars Expanded Universe

Vernatio posted:

The general consensus from its release in Japan was apparently "It's bad, yo"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Do you think Gilgamesh had, like, vertigo or something when he transitioned from his previous 2d sprite form into his 3d character model form? The Interdimensional Void is freaky yo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Evil Fluffy posted:

He's introduced before that. You first see him putting the mind control circlet on Terra and her subsequent murdering of soldiers. :eng101:

Which protaganist has the highest direct kill-count that aren't random battles anyway? Terra's on the board, but then there is Cloud/Barret with the No. 1 reactor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Which protaganist has the highest direct kill-count that aren't random battles anyway? Terra's on the board, but then there is Cloud/Barret with the No. 1 reactor.

Intentional or unintentional?

Because Cecil went on his slaughter spree for Baron and then nuked Mist.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Isn't there one of the alternate XIII-2 endings where you wipe out some timelines. That's a pretty major kill count

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Finally beat FF7 after 15 years. I'm not sure how I never beat Sephiroth as a kid. Is Crisis Core or Type-0 any good? Or should I just move on to FF8?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Do we count the people of the Grimoire as alive in FF Tactics? If so Marche is taking home the gold.

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

Finally beat FF7 after 15 years. I'm not sure how I never beat Sephiroth as a kid. Is Crisis Core or Type-0 any good? Or should I just move on to FF8?

Crisis Core is fun but its not particularly great or deep and, outside of the very last playable section of the game which kind of rules, mostly wastes any interest the setting can provide. Type-0 is an FFXIII era game so if you're going in order I'd hold off until you get there. It's also not particularly great but the patch makes it so the camera isn't vomit inducing so it has that going for it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People are going to tell you to skip 8 but they're wrong and you shouldn't listen to them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

People are going to tell you to skip 8 but they're wrong and you shouldn't listen to them

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
it's more fun to break the game in the first 5 minutes of the game, than to play ff8 as the devs intended you to

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

General Morden posted:

it's more fun to break the game in the first 5 minutes of the game, than to play ff8 as the devs intended you to

Could someone explain how that's done? I'm playing through VII now, I might dig my PS2 out to give VIII a crack when I'm done.

Edit: To clarify, I've got a passing familiarity with the Junction system, I've picked it up a few times but never got that into it.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
play triple triad, set card rules to ALL, keep your char levels low, get card mod, get skills you weren't supposed to have until much later in the game and junction them to your chars

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TL posted:

Could someone explain how that's done? I'm playing through VII now, I might dig my PS2 out to give VIII a crack when I'm done.

Step 1: Never, ever level up if you can avoid it. Bosses give no XP so your goal is to not fight any random encounters
Step 2: Get Quetzalcoatl to learn card and whatever the skill that turns cards into spells as soon as possible
Step 3: Keep your levels as low as possible until you get Diablos, (leaving Squall in KO does this nicely)
Step 4: Master Enc-None
Step 5: Either play a poo poo load of card games, abuse converting monsters into cards, draw sick magic from boss fights, convert tents into Curaga, spam the re-filling Ultima draw point, or whatever the hell else floats your boat because any of these will make you death, destroyer of worlds to the game. Even just junctioning 99 waters to attack from enemies you can fight at the very beginning of the game can give you enough damage to carry you through Disc 3.

Edit: if you're on PC, amusingly enough, the cheat button is less effective than doing the above because it only gives you 99 of mid-tier spells. It's still probably enough to carry you through the whole game assuming you never level.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 22, 2016

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I played FF8 a long time ago but I barely remember anything. I remember floating in a space or space shuttle(???) and missing the next disc for some reason.

Breaking FF8 sounds cool with the junction stuff, but I don't really want to stomp through the game or grind much. The FF games are usually easy so maybe I should do it anyways???

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Barudak posted:

Step 1: Never, ever level up. Bosses give no XP so your goal is to not fight any random encounters with Squall alive to drag down the party's average level by as much as possible and so that new characters join lower
Step 2: Get Quetzalcoatl to learn card and whatever the skill that turns cards into spells as soon as possible
Step 3: Leave Squall dead until you get Diablos, and make sure he's dead when wandering around Dollet the first time, its the last mandatory non-boss XP granting fight.
Step 4: Master Enc-None
Step 5: Either play a poo poo load of card games, abuse the card conversion, draw sick magic from boss fights, convert tents into Curaga, spam the re-filling Ultima draw point, or whatever the hell else floats your boat because any of these will make you death, destroyer of worlds to the game. Even just junctioning 99 waters to attack from enemies you can fight at the very beginning of the game can give you enough damage to carry you through Disc 3.

Edit: if you're on PC, amusingly enough, the cheat button is less effective than doing the above because it only gives you 99 of mid-tier spells. It's still probably enough to carry you through the whole game assuming you never level.

1. Characters always join at a set level (except for Laguna and co.). Irvine is the highest permanent member at 14, Edea is the highest temporary member at 26.
3. You don't even need to do that, a level or two isn't going to make a huge difference from Dollet to whatever. I mean yeah keeping the party at a low level makes things easier, but it's not like they get significantly more difficult at high levels anyway and storyline bosses have a level cap.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Huh I thought their levels changed based on the average level. I'll edit my post.

You're right though, one or two levels until you get Enc-None mastered don't really mattered. You'll run roughshod all over that game anyway so long as you keep your levels relatively low and are willing to grind a few cards or spend some time drawing off of bosses. Oh yeah Odin, give me all the Triple.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

(leaving Squall in KO does this nicely)

Killing enemies with Card also does the trick, they don't give EXP :eng101:

ApplesandOranges posted:

3. You don't even need to do that, a level or two isn't going to make a huge difference from Dollet to whatever. I mean yeah keeping the party at a low level makes things easier, but it's not like they get significantly more difficult at high levels anyway and storyline bosses have a level cap.

The only thing about completely min-maxing your level is that you have to be <10(?) for the Grendels around Dollet to drop Dragon Fangs to do first-disc Lionheart.

Oh and if you're gonna do any drawing off bosses, iirc draw strength is based on your magic attack vs the target's magic resistance (or spirit or whatever the game loving calls it)

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 22, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its neat that you can play a low level run fairly normal without rushing No-Enc by using the Card command. You also sort of win the game by the time you can buy tents because they refine into high level curative magic that gives you tons of HP, which means you can chill at 10% and cast a limit break every turn a few hours into the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Killing enemies with Card also does the trick, they don't give EXP :eng101:

I always found this extremely inaccurate, is there a formula for this I'm missing?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Barudak posted:

I always found this extremely inaccurate, is there a formula for this I'm missing?
Its pokemon. Proportional to HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I played like half an hour of 8 waiting for my recent purchase of 13 to download (yes, that means PC 8. A good day for decisions all around :v:) before realising it would take too long and am I missing something or do people overstate how easy it is to just get Card and Card-RF? Abilities take like 50 AP to learn, it's not like 5, 9 or TA where you can use it while mastering it, and enemies give like 1 or 2 AP early game when I'm supposed to be avoiding encounters anyway.